Model airplanes might get parked

Model airplanes might get parked

There are 87 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Jun 22, 2008, titled Model airplanes might get parked. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

TALLMADGE: When Summit County Metro Parks took control of about 290 acres just north of the county fairgrounds last year, the Corsair Model Aircraft Club was excited.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#66 Jun 23, 2008
trail user wrote:
Oh the blimp, gotta love the blimp.
Yeah, Marco's pretty cool....
Who Cares

Willoughby, OH

#67 Jun 23, 2008
Grown people playing with little kids toys..Time To GROW UP..Spend more time contributing something useful to society.
underlying reasons

Akron, OH

#68 Jun 23, 2008
I confess. I used to sneak into Renner's all the time. It was THE place to be for many years.

Watching the planes is very fun. Some of them are works of art. Great hobby.

Hope they get to stay, right where they are now !
Steve G

United States

#69 Jun 23, 2008
Like both wrote:
Well my girls like to watch the planes AND go to the park. That one poster is right about the dropping number of visitors. We live and grew up in the area and there is no where near the ammount of people going to the lake anymore. Not sure why. We do go sledding there in the winter so I for one hope they don't quit offering that. The Model club has been there a long time. Would be a shame to see them booted. The rules I saw posted on here seem to only say you can't operate toys like that from within the park. Hows does that apply to off park property? Is there club part of the county land that was giving to the park? I don't really see it saying if it is or isn't. If it is not part of that donated land then I really don't see how they can legally be made to leave. Does anyone know the answer to that?
I don't think anybody is making them leave from their spot where they take off and land the plans. But the area they fly around (above) is part of that land that was donated. And the Summit County Parks Commission (managament or whatever) say they cannot fly over that land. So basically they have no where to fly the planes. They aren't being kicked off the land with thier landing strip, just not allowed to fly where they currently do.

Same net affect.
cableguy802

Wilmington, NC

#70 Jun 23, 2008
LITTLE TYREE wrote:
What next.....kick all the fat girls out of barberton??
that there was funny...i dont care who you are..
Andrew Miller

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#71 Jun 23, 2008
This article saddens me. The parks officers seem to have forgotten that the park systems are recreation spots that should be able to be used for anyone. It's their outdated stance that will eventually hurt them.

Their stance that "it is against our rules" seems like a ruse, the rules are not written in stone. Hopefully, one day the park system will realize that hiking and swimming aren't the only recreation options they can offer. The present and future is mountain biking, RC clubs, skateboarders. Hopefully they will get on the ball soon, but I'm afraid that those who do those will drive to parks outside the system that offer it outside of Summit County, when they could be doing it here.
Jules

Canton, OH

#72 Jun 23, 2008
Who Cares wrote:
Grown people playing with little kids toys..Time To GROW UP..Spend more time contributing something useful to society.
Those r/c planes aren't cheap -- hardly "little kids toys". I'm sure the majority of the people who fly them are people who have full time jobs and are otherwise "useful" and do this as a fun hobby on the weekends. What in the world is so wrong about having fun sometimes? Life is too stressful, not to mention too short. Lighten up.

Are you related to Keith Shy? You certainly have a similar attitude...
r3rude

Stow, OH

#73 Jun 23, 2008
TFC wrote:
NO smoking, NO gambling, NO hookers, NO r/c boats, NO r/c/ planes....NO FUN!!!
Don't forget, no sex! Oh wait, I guess that was never allowed... Anyways, the way I see it, the club was there before the park bought the land. Same as Kent State Airport... The airport was there before the homes! One needs to look into the neighborhood before making a purchase! DUHHHH
I would vote to keep the club!
Tsk

Youngstown, OH

#74 Jun 23, 2008
will they close down the mini airport ?
jsf

Willard, OH

#75 Jun 23, 2008
I'm not a molder, but no R/C modle no tax support in the future.
Adding My Two Cents

Hudson, OH

#76 Jun 23, 2008
The club has had its flying field on the Summit County Fairgrounds for thirty-five years. They remain located on the Summit County Fairgrounds. Do they fly over land that is part of the Fairgrounds or fly over land that now belongs to Metro Parks? Someone needs to check the boundary lines. How do the fair people feel about this? Shouldn't they have a say in who is on their land and who is not? Or does Metro Parks have full control of the fairgrounds too? How does the flying field and the flying planes hurt anyone?
Leave these people alone!!!!
Hrubster

United States

#77 Jun 23, 2008
I'll bet they will be happy to let their cronies fly or do what ever they want. I say let's quit supporting their levies. When did they put something like this to the public for an opinion?? Bunch of BS like most oppressive close minded laws.
Hrubster

United States

#78 Jun 23, 2008
Who Cares wrote:
Obviously you don't know any more than the dummies who write these stupid rules. Those little kid toys are very expensive and do all the things a full sized airplane can do and more. You can create an air show for free for your friends and family and enjoy a day at the park. Go ahead and do your grown up activities and I bet I'll have more fun. What do you contribute?? I spent 20 years in the army and enjoy RC flying. What have you done for your country??
Ex-Akronite

Dublin, OH

#79 Jun 24, 2008
Mr. Shy obviously you have never heard of "Grandfathering". They have been there so long that it should be a consideration and is something that is done in every facet of state and local government.
"Wake Up and smell the coffee!" you could save face and might even get afew kudos too.
LMAO

Cleveland, OH

#80 Jun 24, 2008
Mr. Shy and the Park Board are not that smart. I think they are planting people in the woods and trying to have them shoot down planes with bb guns and sling shots.
Give em Da Boot

Cleveland, OH

#81 Jun 25, 2008
I say we tell the park board to hit the road. They are incompatible with society and their stupidity is a safety issue with the surrounding communities. Who is in charge of appointing these people any way? we need to go after them as well!
Hilltopper

AOL

#82 Jun 25, 2008
I got an e-mail from the parks spokesman today. He says county council knew that the R/C club would get forced out when they made the deal over a year ago. Someone isn't telling the truth here.
Give em Da Boot

Brunswick, OH

#83 Jun 25, 2008
Problem is, there is no need for them to be forced out. There's a hidden agenda somewhere. The county AND the city of Tallmadge have both said that they don't mind the club being there. And since the parks OWN RULES state that they are able to give written permission for the club to be there, some one must have a personal vendetta against the club. they certainly aren't listening to the wishes of the community which is in support of the club.
Give em Da Boot

Brunswick, OH

#84 Jun 25, 2008
The club is not even on park land so it seems to me it would be a moot point anyway. How can the park force someone off non-park land?
HMMM

Akron, OH

#85 Jun 26, 2008
Who Cares wrote:
Yea kids like Neal Armstrong, Burt Rutan, John Glenn and others. What a narrow minded idiotic thing to say about someones hobby. RC Modeling numbers pilots, judges, doctors, lawyers, and every other profession among it's participants. My plane cost over four thousand dollars. Kids toys, you better grow up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westlake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dell Bethel, Renaissance man: North Ridgeville ... (Nov '08) Aug 15 Niki 7
News What's next for Mayor Debbie Sutherland, Bay Vi... Aug 9 justbnme 1
News Cupcake Wishes brings flavorful fun to Avon's F... (Aug '13) Aug 2 dapperme 2
News Happier Meal? McDonald's nixing some unpalatabl... Aug 2 Elise Gingerich 1
Ward 1 Councilman David Tadych Could Be Feeling... Jul 29 justbnme 1
News Cleveland remains calm so far as police patrol ... Jul '16 They cannot kill ... 7
News 911 call about ISIS causes panic at Ohio hotel Jul '16 Maverick 808 3

Westlake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westlake Mortgages