Model airplanes might get parked

Model airplanes might get parked

There are 87 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Jun 22, 2008, titled Model airplanes might get parked. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

TALLMADGE: When Summit County Metro Parks took control of about 290 acres just north of the county fairgrounds last year, the Corsair Model Aircraft Club was excited.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Comical

Cleveland, OH

#44 Jun 23, 2008
It's funny how Shy thinks he can tell the Model Airplane Club they have to leave. Let him try and take them to court. He would lose. And see how the public would react to the park board spending our tax dollars to take the club to court. They would lose in more ways than one. Get a grip park board, have any of you ever been over to watch them any ways? You clearly are being lead down the wrong path if this is how you are going to choose to treat your neighbors. Stand your ground model club. Don't put up with the bullish behavior.
dog

Akron, OH

#45 Jun 23, 2008
MrX wrote:
are remote controlled Fat Girls OK ?
use too many batteries
Get a lawyer

Cleveland, OH

#46 Jun 23, 2008
If the Club is not actually ON park property, then SHy or whoever can complain until they are blue in the face. They do not have the authority to make the club move. Get a lawyer fast!
park hiker

United States

#47 Jun 23, 2008
i think it would be kinda cool watching them.. let them have their fun... don't like it? theres pleanty of other parks.. go airplane club!
fair

Tallmadge, OH

#48 Jun 23, 2008
I don't see anyone griping about them not being allowed to fly over the fair grounds, how is the metro parks rule any different?
fair

Oceola, OH

#49 Jun 23, 2008
LOL. They wouldn't fly over the fair grounds even if they WERE allowed. Two different situations. Besides, I have yet to see any so called rule that lets the metro parks control the airspace in the first place. I guess you'd actually have to see the place to understand what every is talking about.
jason

Akron, OH

#50 Jun 23, 2008
the fun haters are at it again! what are the gonna take next- ice cream trucks, bicycles, baseball fields, or maybe they'll just make laughter illegal.
rokk

United States

#51 Jun 23, 2008
you know most of these model planes were originally built and flown by ww2 and korean war vets trying to relive a little of their glory days.these modelers are good people.let them stay,get rid of shy.
You Pompous AirHeads

Sharon, PA

#52 Jun 23, 2008
It seems to me that everytime we turn around someone is telling us what we cannot do.The pilots of these aircraft bother no one.You will build running trails,hiking trails,bird feeders and such for other taxpayers.Them why not let these tas paying pilots fly over land NOT BEING USED at ALL.Get a Grip PARK SERVICES.
Ken Millard

Conneaut, OH

#54 Jun 23, 2008
Mr. Shy of the parks is really a sad person to lead public use of lands. The meer addition of a human to nature is an intrusion. This man can't think outside of his traditional box. There are so few model plane clubs, and they just don't fly that frequently. He should embrace their use.
Ohio Taxpayer

Denver, CO

#55 Jun 23, 2008
Although I am not part of the model plane club or have any other connection with them, the Park Board and the Park Director should remember who votes for park bond issues (the taxpayers). Typical government agency for you. When Park Director Keith Shy looses his job because the taxpayers won't fund the parks, maybe he can get a job at the airport shlepping luggage.
different opinion

Tallmadge, OH

#56 Jun 23, 2008
More fun wrote:
My 2 and 6 year old girls always ask me to take them over to watch the planes. They never ask me to take them to the metro park. That should tell you right there which one is more fun. My support is for the model plane club that has been there for 35 years. NOT the parks as long as this is the way the run things!
In contrast to your daughters, mine are always asking to go to the Metro Parks, but have never asked to go see model planes flying.

Seems God made us all different, eh?
more fun

Oceola, OH

#57 Jun 23, 2008
Yes, and isn't it nice that we have the choice to do either? If it is left up to Shy, its his way or the high way. I'd have to also assume that you've never taken them to see the planes. Once they've seen them, they would want to go again. Just how many pleaces are there nearby where you can watch some really cool Model airplanes fly around? Besides, The Munroe falls park hasn't been the same since it was known as Renner's.
I remember that

Cleveland, OH

#58 Jun 23, 2008
Oh my, I remember when it was Renner's! You are right about that though. It seems as soon as the metro parks got a hold of Renners, they regulated the crap out of it to the point that they almost have to pay people to come to it. In the old days, that place was packed all the time and was the major hangout for the local high school students. Seems that most kids don't even know its there these days.
different opinion

Tallmadge, OH

#59 Jun 23, 2008
more fun wrote:
Yes, and isn't it nice that we have the choice to do either? If it is left up to Shy, its his way or the high way. I'd have to also assume that you've never taken them to see the planes. Once they've seen them, they would want to go again. Just how many pleaces are there nearby where you can watch some really cool Model airplanes fly around? Besides, The Munroe falls park hasn't been the same since it was known as Renner's.
Well there ya' go assumin'! They actually have an uncle that flies planes and copters, seen it, no interest. We've also taken them to car races, air shows, ballet, orchestra, every sport, so on and so forth. Everybody has their own pleasure I guess.

I'm not sure how it used to be Renner's comes in to the discussion, it's a Metro Park now, so of course it's different. Just the like the county land that is now a Metro Park - things will be different.
Kraig Krumm

Akron, OH

#60 Jun 23, 2008
Typical bureaucrat! The rules say no and the rules are God. Doesn't matter that they have been there for years. Doesn't matter that the club serves a useful educational purpose. Doesn;t matter that the club briings in a fair amount of money to the local economy, doesn;t matter that it is a good clean wholesome family enriching activity. The rules say no so thats the way it is. Somebody, somewhere wake up! Why do bureaucrats like this still exist in an intelligent people oriented society? Giveth unto me a break!
more fun

Oceola, OH

#61 Jun 23, 2008
That's great that you get your family out to do so many things. I applaud you for that. As far as renner's, the Munroe Falls Park IS the metro park that was given the county property. Before it was called the Munroe Falls Metropolitan Park, it was known as Renner's Park. I guess my point was that attendance has dwindled since the Metro Park took over. There was some talk about not opening the park to swimming because of the low attendance. That would have never been an issue in the past. You should have seen all the hoopla during the time when they were deciding to give that county land to the metro parks. It wasn't a popular choice for many local residents. At least they haven't messed with the sled riding hill over there yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if they banned sledding next.
PrkRanger

Youngstown, OH

#62 Jun 23, 2008
ATTENTION: All Campers ! Do NOT park in REMOTE areas.
Like both

Oceola, OH

#63 Jun 23, 2008
Well my girls like to watch the planes AND go to the park. That one poster is right about the dropping number of visitors. We live and grew up in the area and there is no where near the ammount of people going to the lake anymore. Not sure why. We do go sledding there in the winter so I for one hope they don't quit offering that. The Model club has been there a long time. Would be a shame to see them booted. The rules I saw posted on here seem to only say you can't operate toys like that from within the park. Hows does that apply to off park property? Is there club part of the county land that was giving to the park? I don't really see it saying if it is or isn't. If it is not part of that donated land then I really don't see how they can legally be made to leave. Does anyone know the answer to that?
Nice

Cleveland, OH

#64 Jun 23, 2008
So we have fat remote control girls camping in remote parts of the woods flying model airplanes near a soon to be banned sled riding hill in a park that nobody attends run by a guy named shy who thinks everything should be outlawed because rules are rules and he hates people having fun. Who says nothing exciting ever happens in summit county. Amazing what you can learn in these forums! LOL!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westlake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lorain firefighter pleads no contest to mischie... (Jun '16) Aug 11 WILD BILL 2
News Maple Heights drug dealer sold fatal heroin dos... (Jan '17) Aug 10 WestVee 7
News Rattlesnake Island Revealed (Sep '08) Jul '17 Cock Hero 22
News Islam's not so subtle onslaught into America Jun '17 No honor only shame 2
News Obituaries 10/26/11 (Nov '11) Jun '17 351tree 49
River Edge Jun '17 Middie 1
Review: Patient First - John Kavlich MD (May '09) Apr '17 Yep 68

Westlake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westlake Mortgages