Model airplanes might get parked

TALLMADGE: When Summit County Metro Parks took control of about 290 acres just north of the county fairgrounds last year, the Corsair Model Aircraft Club was excited. Full Story
Get Control

Cleveland, OH

#24 Jun 23, 2008
Some goverment officials better get control of this situation and fast. If any sensible person allows Shy to pull this off, then it will be time to vote in new officials! And when is shy going to resign from office, its clear he doesn't have the ability operate a park facility. "Rules are Rule" Sounds more like a convenient statement to hide behind to disquise his real motives. Turn the park into a stale, generic place where fun activities are no longer permitted....oh wait, he's already done that!
trail user

Erie, PA

#25 Jun 23, 2008
Bottom line is the use of the land has changed and thus, the rules have changed. Happens everyday.

I used to play baseball where the Giant Eagle now sits on Waterloo Road, do you suppose they should allow me to continue playing baseball in aisle 27 just 'cause I always did before.

All of the idle threats of not passing a levy are humorous at best. 4.5 million park visitors versus a hand full of model plain flyers - wonder who'll win that one?
Hilltopper

Canton, OH

#26 Jun 23, 2008
trail user wrote:
Bottom line is the use of the land has changed and thus, the rules have changed. Happens everyday.
I used to play baseball where the Giant Eagle now sits on Waterloo Road, do you suppose they should allow me to continue playing baseball in aisle 27 just 'cause I always did before.
All of the idle threats of not passing a levy are humorous at best. 4.5 million park visitors versus a hand full of model plain flyers - wonder who'll win that one?
You have hundreds of trails to use already. These people have but one place to fly their planes. If they get kicked out I will never vote for another parks levy.

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Since: Mar 07

Your Neighbor & Friend

#27 Jun 23, 2008
Well, as a Metroparks trail hiker myself, let's calmly consider the ramifications of this controversy. Better the model planes overhead one day or two than the dog crap regularly found under foot on these trails. Agree or no?

trail user, your argument has a degree of merit, although air space isn't exactly ground space intrusion (example, that damned private company blimp hovering over my house. Don't like it, but can't do much about it).

Aside: Wish there still were more ballfields... and kids that wanted to use them rather than gadgets.
trail user

Erie, PA

#28 Jun 23, 2008
Howard Beale Jr wrote:
Well, as a Metroparks trail hiker myself, let's calmly consider the ramifications of this controversy. Better the model planes overhead one day or two than the dog crap regularly found under foot on these trails. Agree or no?
trail user, your argument has a degree of merit, although air space isn't exactly ground space intrusion (example, that damned private company blimp hovering over my house. Don't like it, but can't do much about it).
Aside: Wish there still were more ballfields... and kids that wanted to use them rather than gadgets.
I'm on the trails quite a bit these days, can't say I really see dog crap on regular basis. Most dog owner's seem to clean up. Now those geese on the Barbeton Towpath on the other hand... what do you propose we do about that? I'm tired of cleaning goose crap out of my mountain bike tires, ban all geese I say!(sarc)

Tallmadge has their eye on the mini-airstrip for... more ballfields! Careful what you wish for Howard.

Oh the blimp, gotta love the blimp.
jim

Nashville, TN

#29 Jun 23, 2008
Keith Shy, you need to grow up. Rules are rules. You know what-we the citizens are your boss. We are your boss. Maybe you need to hear that a few more times. Who do you work for? The citizens-period.
City Worker

Dayton, OH

#30 Jun 23, 2008
trail user wrote:
Try reading the whole article and discussion. The whole attitude and mode of operation of that anal-retentive guy running the parks is gonna "rules are rules" his way in a lot of other areas and get a lot more than model plane folks p.o.'d at him. And those(all the parks users who now get restricted) are the people who will vote down the next levy.
tlcnms69

Sioux City, IA

#31 Jun 23, 2008
This is so sad... No Hobbies for Akron....First the boats on Springfield Lake, Now no planes for the Metro Parks... What is next? Are you going to take away the knitting and crocheting and quilting away from the Senior Citizens.. or maybe you will say no wheelchairs or scooters allowed on the sidewalks... Common... Give these people a break and let then have their planes to fly and boats to run... SHY, Maybe you should go out and get a hobbie, and have someone take it away from you... Or is your hobbie bring other peoples enjoyment and relaxation to an end? Put your mouth and ideas where they should be... On the drug pushers and other criminals that put others in harms way. I am sure that the planes and boats are not harming anyone. The planes and boats are bringing enjoyment to many people young and old..

“Er...Protector of Free Speech?”

Since: Mar 08

The AKR

#32 Jun 23, 2008
tlcnms69 wrote:
This is so sad... No Hobbies for Akron....First the boats on Springfield Lake, Now no planes for the Metro Parks... What is next? Are you going to take away the knitting and crocheting and quilting away from the Senior Citizens.. or maybe you will say no wheelchairs or scooters allowed on the sidewalks... Common... Give these people a break and let then have their planes to fly and boats to run... SHY, Maybe you should go out and get a hobbie, and have someone take it away from you... Or is your hobbie bring other peoples enjoyment and relaxation to an end? Put your mouth and ideas where they should be... On the drug pushers and other criminals that put others in harms way. I am sure that the planes and boats are not harming anyone. The planes and boats are bringing enjoyment to many people young and old..
Y'all might want to start trackin' The Don and Sir Marco to their drinkin' holes. I suspect this "Shy-guy" will be joinin''em! This is just the kind of garbage that will get him into the Inner Circle.

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Since: Mar 07

Your Neighbor & Friend

#33 Jun 23, 2008
trail user wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm on the trails quite a bit these days, can't say I really see dog crap on regular basis. Most dog owner's seem to clean up. Now those geese on the Barbeton Towpath on the other hand... what do you propose we do about that? I'm tired of cleaning goose crap out of my mountain bike tires, ban all geese I say!(sarc)
Tallmadge has their eye on the mini-airstrip for... more ballfields! Careful what you wish for Howard.
Oh the blimp, gotta love the blimp.
I say we round up the geese, stuff 'em & cook 'em for the Salvation Army & Haven of Rest homeless come the holidays. Wonder how Shy would feel 'bout that? Until then, guess we each should invest in a rear fender.

Now that we've brought up the blimp, mebbe Shy will throw a hissy fit to also keep it off Park "property". Blue-sky law, or Sky-hi law, or something like that I recall from Torts class. LOL.

“Rolling Stones Gather Momentum”

Since: Feb 08

Mogadore, OH

#34 Jun 23, 2008
If "rules are rules," then obviously CHANGE THE (specific) RULE (that prohibits r/c planes from flying over or on park land).
MrX

Youngstown, OH

#35 Jun 23, 2008
are remote controlled Fat Girls OK ?
Overtaxed Voter

Norwalk, OH

#36 Jun 23, 2008
What makes the Metro Parks board believe that they somehow "own" the airspace above their property?

That will probably come as a shock to the Federal Aviation Administration, a few dozen airlines, etc.

If the group has permission to takeoff and land their planes at one location, that is the only property owner that needs to agree to the use.
Ahau Kin

United States

#37 Jun 23, 2008
Awwwww. Metroparks won't let you violate their airspace with your noisy toys? How sad.

But wait: aren't metroparks considered public land? So shouldn't the public have a say in the rule making process? And in what activities are 'allowed'?

So 'clubs' exist just for the flying of these devices. Sounds pretty republican to me.

I wouldn't want to get hit in the head by a crashing toy. This is a concern. But flying over undeveloped land? Why not?

Unless the land owner objects, of course.
PrkRanger

Youngstown, OH

#38 Jun 23, 2008
ok. hands up and step away from the remote.
The Truth

Cleveland, OH

#39 Jun 23, 2008
Below is taken staight out of the Rules and regulation section on the summit county metro parks site. It states that written permission can be given to allow the use of these vehicles by the director/secretary. For Shy to say it is against the rules is obviously a flat out lie. His own rules state that he can give them permission. That tells me that he simply does not want them. Read the rule and see for yourself. The link is listed below the rule. I guess you can't hide behind your "Rules are Rules" SHy. Give permission and be done with it! Lets see how long it takes for that rule to be mysteriously changed!

10.6 Toy Vehicles: No person shall operate or use any toy
missiles, rockets, airplanes, gliders, or cars within the Park
that are propelled or drawn by power other than
muscular power, unless otherwise authorized by a written
permit issued by the Director/Secretary.

http://www.summitmetroparks.org/getdoc/26832e...
buzz fluhart

Austin, TX

#40 Jun 23, 2008
They have been there for 35 years... They have 2 million dollar insurance and they have never had a problem... There are plenty of walking trails we don't need another one if it costs a group that's been there for 35 years their fun. They pay taxes and they deserve to use that site, either create another site just as good for them or leave them alone... This is stupid leave these good people alone, and let them continue to enjoy their hobby.
Revshredd

Cleveland, OH

#41 Jun 23, 2008
Overtaxed Voter makes an excellent point. The club does not sit on park land. The park would not have the authority to make them leave their currnt landing strip. I don't see anywhere in print where they contrioll the airspace. Does that mean that someone with a plane at the Kent State Airport can not fly over the metro parks? I don't think Shy has a foot to stand on. I think those rules on their site means you can't bring a remote controlled plane INTO the park and take off from with in the park. The club should get an attorney!
Ahau Kin

United States

#42 Jun 23, 2008
"What makes the Metro Parks board believe that they somehow "own" the airspace above their property?"

This is a specious argument. Free fly or restricted zones are determined at state and national governmental levels, not silly park administration.

The issue to the park is danger to people or property damage within the park boundary.

You can't actually threaten an airliner with one of these things, so it isn't an issue of 'airspace'.(Unless, of course, you happen to be flying near a major airport and somehow contrive to get sucked into a jet engine. As if the FAA would permit a 'club' to operate that close).
More fun

Cleveland, OH

#43 Jun 23, 2008
My 2 and 6 year old girls always ask me to take them over to watch the planes. They never ask me to take them to the metro park. That should tell you right there which one is more fun. My support is for the model plane club that has been there for 35 years. NOT the parks as long as this is the way the run things!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westlake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
republicans take the senate and america gets be... Tue tommorrow 1
Obituaries 10/26/11 (Nov '11) Oct 18 Roger and Terri 42
Pandrangi Tower will open soon at Southwest Gen... Oct 15 Ivieivy 1
Wholesale Medical Marijuana supplier Oct 11 good stuff 1
bed bugs Sep 25 concerned bulldog 1
Man charged in Cleveland rape is now suspect in... Sep 25 Serve Justice 1
FitzGerald says there was nothing improper in 2... Aug '14 mike 2
Westlake Dating
Find my Match

Westlake Jobs