Help For Ohio 6-year-old on No Fly List

Full story: WJW Fox 8 Cleveland

WESTLAKE, Ohio -From playing with baby dolls to appearing on national television, a local little girl is quickly becoming the "poster child" for puzzling people landing on the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's "No fly" list.
Comments
21 - 37 of 37 Comments Last updated Jun 30, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
acelucky13

Berryville, VA

#21 Jun 29, 2010
Politics should have nothing to do with this conversation. No matter what"side" is running things the No-Fly List is a great thing that should be an asset to the traveling comunity. However as with anything there are flaws in the system and they should be worked out effectively and efficiently. A six year old girl fell through the cracks, problem is that TSA, if you read in the article, gave a standard by-the- book answer to Fox8. Stop bringing politics into common sense, just becaus you are upset with taxes has nothing to do with this story. In fact the family lives in Westlake which is predominantly Republican, where are representatives for the "Tea Party" side to step up for this family and others like them?

-Former Cleveland resident.
John

Las Vegas, NV

#22 Jun 29, 2010
Alyssa Thomas? How many Alyssa Thomas' are there in Ohio and in the US. Are all of them blocked?

This is the same government that wants to also control health care. Will there be a no-treat list and if ou land on it, for any reason, oh well?
Lyn Hamilton

Orlando, FL

#23 Jun 29, 2010
Tea Party Republican wrote:
Who didn't see this coming....a tree hugging liberal grabbing the headlines for himself trying to cash in by making himself the "hero" when all he is really doing is trampling a process that continues to keep us safe.
There has got to be more to this story, but the irresponsible drive by media won't report it...I guarantee it...because they are all joined at the hip with these libs and the agenda here is to make the God fearing republicans who created the department of homeland security look bad at the expense of wackos like Kucinich and OBAMA.
There hasn't been a terror bombing in this country since this 'no-fly' list was created, and for your information the terrorists are giving IEDs to kids in Afghanistan. Even if this girl isnt a terrorist why do you think the terrorists won't recruit kids.
Kucinich needs to stay the heck out of national security matters before he gets us all killed just to grab headlines.
You are either with me or you are against America!
You are truly a moron .. I'd say right up there with whoever put a six year old on the 'no fly list.' I would suggest you read the papers .. more than one person has gotten on a plane with weapons or stuff that is disallowed - and it wasn't figured out until they got to their destination. Homeland Security and the TSA are pretty much a waste of time and space. And I am American .. proud of it .. but you are a jerk-head republican.
Jen

Rochester, NY

#24 Jun 29, 2010
Yeah...I'm sure this little 6-year old has an IED hiding in her dollies! Thank goodness Homeland security is a sane and reasonable part of government...
LJB

Denver, CO

#25 Jun 29, 2010
What can you say about our great Homeland Security Department. They are just a bunch of idiots running around in monkey suits unable to think with any common sense and not willing to change an obvious mistake. They use that same line "The watch lists are an important layer of security to prevent individuals with known or suspected ties to terrorism from flying". Apparently this little 6 year old must be a super terrorist and the leader of a super cell operating in the US. What a bunch of morons the TSA is comprised of. Pull your heads out of each others back sides, breath some fresh air and make the required and "OBVIOUS" corrections to an error that you morons failed to catch in the first place.
Jason

New York, NY

#26 Jun 29, 2010
If they are worried about terrorism, just ban all Muslims and anyone from the Middle east from flying, and problem solved. Leave the 6 year olds off the list.
jon

Belgrade, MT

#27 Jun 29, 2010
that's really great. help a 6 year old girl get off the no fly list. what a way to spend your time. there is nothing more important than getting a little girl who can't even buy a plane ticket off the no fly list. The country has lost it's damned mind. everything is out of perspective, and out of control.
Hearseman

Gonzales, LA

#28 Jun 29, 2010
Looks like Homeland security is doing most of the terrorizing.
Anytime common sense is absent we must be concerned about who is in charge.
If they keep having these stupid attacks, we must reinstate the term “Retarded”!
That’s seems to be what they are!
commonsense

Los Angeles, CA

#29 Jun 29, 2010
Most likely she shares the same name as a terrorist or a person of interest. They should know she's not going to do us any harm. So they can leave her name on the list but like somebody said before start checking DOB when it comes to certain situations
dre

Fpo, AP

#30 Jun 29, 2010
i'm glad this made national news. now whoever the intended person for the watch is list knows to change their name.
Hold it

Virginia Beach, VA

#31 Jun 29, 2010
Unless they gotten to the point of taking a photo of every passenger that boards, and comparing it with the Big Brother computer in Washington, the girl isn't on the no-fly list. It's her name that on it.
Perhaps Home Land Security should add an age field to their files.
dcshipman

Bangor, ME

#32 Jun 29, 2010
People share names of other people. The girl shares a name with a possible terrorist. When she's flagged her identification is verified and they confirm it's not the terrorist. She gets to fly. Tkae the name off the list and it removes a possible terrorist from the list. The Senator knows this and is just using it to get publicity.
TheAnalyst

Pensacola, FL

#33 Jun 29, 2010
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Another republican just looking for more attention. Good thing the public is used ot this type of behavior now and people don't take stupid comments like this seriously anymore. This comment above is something I would expect a second grader to make, just for attention. Then again, maybe this is a second grader.
No, a second grader would have a little more sense.
TheAnalyst

Pensacola, FL

#34 Jun 29, 2010
dcshipman wrote:
People share names of other people. The girl shares a name with a possible terrorist. When she's flagged her identification is verified and they confirm it's not the terrorist. She gets to fly. Tkae the name off the list and it removes a possible terrorist from the list. The Senator knows this and is just using it to get publicity.
Excuse me; I think in the era of computers, data bases, and biometrics, a competent entity could probably come up with an identity set to differentiate among people with the same names; since thousands and thousands of people share the same or similar names. Additionally, if TSA actually had competent leadership, you would think that they would work very hard to quickly mitigate these kinds of problems especially since it is not an isolated case; if for no other reason than to give the illusion that the agency had its act together.
Wilhelm

Elyria, OH

#35 Jun 29, 2010
The Congressman has had his share of barbs and canards, but let's give credit where credit is due.
Putting a six year old on "The List" and then officially smoke screening a confirm-or-deny, or give any reason why, is reprehensible: Mr. Kucinich, kindly hold these incompetents' feet to the fire, deluge them with heat, pressure and ridicule, and make them straighten their act out!
TSA is not an autonomous organization, they are answerable, so let them answer!
Random Guy

Burpengary, Australia

#36 Jun 29, 2010
She was on the list because she had the same name as somebody else that was on the "no-fly list"
snarkytart

Scottsdale, AZ

#37 Jun 30, 2010
ridiculous-but-if there is no age next to the name- initially- what does one do? When the customs agents sees the traveller is a 6yr old- common sense should prevail....But what if this person is close in age to the original no fly list person?? New system needs to be implemented.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westlake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 44 min Pope Che Reagan C... 30,476
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 20 Marvin Levels 188
Rattlesnake Island Revealed (Sep '08) Aug 16 Sam 21
FitzGerald says there was nothing improper in 2... Aug 9 mike 2
Call about suspicious car led Westlake police t... Aug 3 Conrad 1
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Aug 2 gary 2,230
Review: North Ridge Christian Life Church (Jan '13) Jul '14 Don 23
•••
•••

Westlake Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Westlake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Westlake News, Events & Info