Louisiana Mayor's Death Stirs Furor

Full story: The Associated Press

In the hours before his death on the evening of Dec. 30, the first black mayor of this overwhelmingly white town started learning his new job.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
concerned american

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2007

I am sending prayers of peace, love and hope for justice to the families of West Lake. This is a perfect example of America at its best and worst.
Lee

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2007

Praying for the Lord's Blessings on this community.
Sylvie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2007

I have to ask why procedure was not followed.Why was the chain of evidence broken ,the car not printed, scanned and impounded ?The state forensic team not called in?A gun pressed tightly to a chest means nothing.Was there residue on his hands?Did they bag his hands?Did they have the authority to do an autopsy?Who was the gun registered to?It is out of character for a person to kill themselves after such a great success.It is also out of character for police to act in such a manner.It is highly suspect indeed.
Anna

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2007

A vietnam vet would not shoot himself in the chest!
Imani Dallas TX

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2007

This is utterly ridiculous. This was not suicide, but indeed homicide! Some individuals still cannot accept progress and will do whatever they deem necessary to prevent others from obtaining an equal share of the powers in this country. Envy and bigotry are both alive and well. Where would the world be without barbaric acts, misunderstandings, and injustices? A far better place. Anyone can see through this cover-up and failure to properly investigate this case. Where is the FBI-Lou Dobbs-Jesse Jackson, etc? Just when you thought the country was healing, this tragedy reinvents itself from the past...I trust that local, state, and national officials will bring truth and justice to the family and the community-at-large. Restore our Faith in humanity and allow Mr. Gerald Washington to rest in Peace. May our Creator be with his family and the township of Westlake and all the Westlakes of America.
Imani Dallas TX

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2007

Sylvie wrote:
I have to ask why procedure was not followed.Why was the chain of evidence broken ,the car not printed, scanned and impounded ?The state forensic team not called in?A gun pressed tightly to a chest means nothing.Was there residue on his hands?Did they bag his hands?Did they have the authority to do an autopsy?Who was the gun registered to?It is out of character for a person to kill themselves after such a great success.It is also out of character for police to act in such a manner.It is highly suspect indeed.
This is a bit pretentious and seemingly racist that police officials would mishandle the crime scene and give credence to the murderers. I, too, believe the behavior of the officers was highly suspect.
Geri Anderson

Lake Orion, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2007

this definately sounds like homicide and don't let the police lure the public to thinking otherwise. It's sad to think that in this day and age that we would even have to entertain the possibility of this death being racially motivated, however, the reality is people are cabable of anything when they feel threatened. God bless the family and my sympathy and prayers go out to them.
c-dog

Prairieville, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

Maybe the truth I to hard to swallow for some of you out of stater's who have nothig better to do that incite racism. I hope you get all the answers you want about Mayor Washington's death and his reason behind his suicide, but what good will it do his family to find out that he was only human and made mistakes.
xbigpappa

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2007

a knee-grow with $$ in the bank, and just won Mayor wanted to kill hisself? Them rednecks in Westlake should be able to come up with something better than that. That guy was Lynched, plain an simple.
tiredofknowitall s

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

I, for one, are sick of people who make comments and do not know crap about this except for what they read and hear from unreliable sources. It is all bull#$%t! I live here and have talked to blacks and whites AND knew the parties involved personally. He had problems obviously -- which went much deeper than anyone in his family wished to admit -- or simply didn't know about. Even the black people in town made comments only days after the death which included things like, "Most white people didn't know the Wash we black people did!" and other comments to that effect. He was not perfect, but who is? He had issues that he obviously had difficulty handling. It is sad, but true! Some of the comments above, such as the one preceeding this,is very ignorant -- The woman who ran against him was, oh - let's see -- WHITE! I am figuring if the whites had not voted for him, boyfriend would not have WON! As for the redneck comment...who's the redneck here? "Hisself"??? No such word!!! This is not redneck country, dude! Get your crap straight. Have you even looked at the entire investigation file? Take a look at it, then say it was murder and you will see that there have been lies out of the butt by those who refused to believe he could kill himself. It actually reads much like a novel. Lots of skeletons here!!! If you can say it is murder after reading that, you have serious problems!
Margaret

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2007

Louisiana people will take care of their problems,you need to leave the Cajans,alone..You have to live in Louisiana to understand Louisiana..Most of all Louisiana people get along with their back neighbors..unlike other states..
G-Man

Lakewood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2007

I moved out of Louisiana and I won't move back! Never ! Never!
Too many people are narrow minded; the place is too flat! I do regret what happen to New Orleans and the surrounding areas because so many people lost their lives and homes. President Bush,and Governer Blanco,along with Mayor Nagin didn't work together to help resolve the problem because so many of the people who suffered were Black and poor Whites.
I prefer the West Coast. No humidity and Sunny beaches. California!
Margaret

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2007

That's nice..all places have narrow minded people as you say, it is flat in Cajun Country..I won't go into politics,but I've met some of the finest people from that state,anyone could ask for..Don't know much about California,except the cost of living,is sky high....But I 'm glad you like it..hope you do well..

dwr

Since: Dec 06

Lake Charles, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2007

G-Man wrote:
I moved out of Louisiana and I won't move back! Never ! Never!
Too many people are narrow minded; the place is too flat! I do regret what happen to New Orleans and the surrounding areas because so many people lost their lives and homes. President Bush,and Governer Blanco,along with Mayor Nagin didn't work together to help resolve the problem because so many of the people who suffered were Black and poor Whites.
I prefer the West Coast. No humidity and Sunny beaches. California!
I have been to California, The cost of living is out of control, The people are arrogant, and there are many more dangerous places there, than any where else I have ever been. Then there are the Earthquakes as well.
There is no such thing as a perfect place to live. So I think I'll stay here and make the best of it.
Margaret

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

I lived in and around Baton Rouge,for 29 years,we moved back here,b/c my better half,is from here..I miss it..and miss the people even more...don't forget the food...even the hot humid weather...LOL...
Patricia

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2007

I knew Mr. Wash as a very outstanding family man always willing to help anyone and no matter what is being said about him it will never change the respect that i and my family had for him. My prayers is that justice be done!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Westlake Discussions

Search the Westlake Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
LA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Louisiana... (Oct '10) 6 hr Not Landrieu 2,600
Chuck Brookins (Sep '11) 23 hr Jack 2
LC Neighborhood tired of flash flooding Sun fred 1
Shannan Kirk Jul 19 Just me1212 1
Klan recruiting in South Lake Charles? Jul 17 Babby 1
Hardy Parkerson (Jun '10) Jul 14 Pat York 12
FEMA Trailers For Sale in DeRidder (Feb '10) Jun 26 Connie Pollard 23
•••
•••
•••
Westlake Dating

more search filters

less search filters