La. Mayor's Death Sparks Controversy

La. Mayor's Death Sparks Controversy

There are 15 comments on the North County Times story from Jan 6, 2007, titled La. Mayor's Death Sparks Controversy. In it, North County Times reports that:

A sign welcomes people to Westlake, La. Friday, Jan. 5, 2007. Mayor-elect Gerald "Wash" Washington was found dead in a school parking lot from a self-inflicted gunshot wound according to the parish coroner.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North County Times.

Sally Patterson

Santa Maria, CA

#1 Jan 6, 2007
My prayers are with the city of Westlake and the family of Mayor-elect Gerald Washington. I am in agreement that the police in that city did a fast in and out decision on his death. Since I have lived in the South and in L.A.County, I do not trust any fast in and out situations.
My husband and I wait for the great state of Louisana to do an extra and above and beyond search on Mr. Washinton's death.

Also, I would hope that the police and the coroner in Westlake would have a workshop on a more compassionate response than to say that suicide makes families think differently. That might be true, but it was poor management on the coroner office and the police to say it in such a cold and hard way.
God bless every person who loved this man and his family.
John Y

Adel, GA

#2 Jan 8, 2007
I agree with the statement posted by Sally Patterson. I am very uncomfortable with the handling of Mr. Washington's death by the police and coroner. I suspect foul play, and I certainly suspect a rush to cover up. Anyone should be able to see that, and there should definitely be more outrage expressed by Westlake citizens, Louisiana residents and Americans all around. I too am anxious to see that the State of Louisiana do a much more fair and just assessment of Mayor-Elect Washington's death, which I believe with all that is in me was a murder...and a cover-up.
R Frazier Oakland CA

United States

#3 Jan 9, 2007
My prayers are with all of those who knew and loved Mayor Washington. This was obviously a rush to judgement by the coroner and the police to say that this man killed himself. Maybe they said that to quell any retaliation, but anyone with the the good sense that God gave them could see that foul play was definately involved. I pray the state police seek the truth in this matter and not settle for what is convenient.
Spike Jones

Houston, TX

#4 Jan 13, 2007
As I write this the funeral for Gerald "Wash" Washington is moving on to the cemetary. Wash was a co-worker and friend for 28 years. Not one person I have talked with believes that this was suicide , NOT ONE. The church was overflowing with well wishers of many races , religions , and nationalities. Wash deserved no less.
Gary Currie

El Paso, TX

#5 Jan 17, 2007
Gerald Washington was a man with everything to live for. If this was a suicide, there should be some antecedent that would indicate his intentions. Why would a man contemplating suicide run for mayor? It doesn't compute. I know that suicides are unpredictable and all that, but the explanation given by the sheriff's dept shows indifference in the mindset of those responsible to investigate his death. It's sad to say, but South Louisiana (Lake Charles and Westlake in particular) are still harboring racist ideals that have so longed plagued that awful state and many parts of this nation.
Millie Lawrence

East Stroudsburg, PA

#6 Feb 20, 2007
It is so sad to see things like this is still going on in the great american country. when will they stop with the cover-up and the lying.I do hope the state governor will follow-up on this case.
Stee M

United States

#7 Mar 30, 2007
All these comments that were posted before both local and state ivestigations were completed and before ALL 3 CORONER's completed their reports Im assuming all feel pretty stupid now.

Despite all outward appearances, this man, with his $300,000 gambling debts, his $50,000 owed in back taxes, his many mistresses (and affairs) threatening to come forward, HAD PLENTY TO BE DEPRESSED ABOUT and is an (unfortunate) obvious candidate for someone who would commit suicide.

It is sad the family and the NAACP were so quick to yell rascist and hate crimes and blame every govt and authority groups for being responsible for Mr. Washington's death when really, the responsibility falls squarely on Mr. Washington himself.
Wisdom

Bondsville, MA

#8 Apr 14, 2007
Stee M wrote:
All these comments that were posted before both local and state ivestigations were completed and before ALL 3 CORONER's completed their reports Im assuming all feel pretty stupid now.
Despite all outward appearances, this man, with his $300,000 gambling debts, his $50,000 owed in back taxes, his many mistresses (and affairs) threatening to come forward, HAD PLENTY TO BE DEPRESSED ABOUT and is an (unfortunate) obvious candidate for someone who would commit suicide.
It is sad the family and the NAACP were so quick to yell rascist and hate crimes and blame every govt and authority groups for being responsible for Mr. Washington's death when really, the responsibility falls squarely on Mr. Washington himself.
Hog Wash!!
Tain't Fooling Everybody!
Ok, think of it in terms of an athlete who has just "won" the "Gold" (in this race for Mayor)..Along the road to becoming the "winner" you have some troubles or sustain injuries from time to time (like any Champion experiences). It's time to> Let the Celebrations begin.(Mayor Washington takes his earned seat as MAYOR). Then you try to convince everyone that Winners commit suicide? Hmmmmmmmmm? Just remember any of your past experiences exactly how you felt after being declared..THE WINNER? I'm with the Washington Family 100%
Mikey

Afton, OK

#9 Apr 15, 2007
How can you individuals post comments about someone or something you do not know? The only comment worth reading is comment #7. The Wash family poiting to the White people claiming the whites did this. Westlake is %80 white and the town population voted in a Black Mayor. The man killed himself so that he was not shamed while in office. He left the problems with the family to deal with and in my book, this is considered selfish and low down. Everyone has something hiding in the closet and his came out!
allie

United States

#10 Apr 16, 2007
no..he died in a bingo hall...
not trying to be mean or know it all
Antny

O Fallon, IL

#11 Sep 27, 2007
When are you people going to move into the 21st century? You didn't pick any cotton and no person that I know of, living or dead, cracked a whip on you. Get off your lazy azzes and go to work, stop with the hand outs. Besides, you don't even know what you want to be called....... the NAACP has never changed it's name yet you've been called negro, colored, black, african American..... yall is jus colored people to me. Maybe I can get some government subsidy if I say I'm German-American.......... get a life
Chales

Mittie, LA

#12 Sep 28, 2007
Man I swear that when you get mad you turn red. When you get scared you turn pale white. When you choke you turn blue. When you get too much sun, you turn an orangish brown. We stay the same color through all of this. So who in the hell are you calling colored?
LC resident

United States

#13 Oct 4, 2007
It is a sad story, period. A man with so much talent and promise, yet so many weaknesses and secrets. The lack of self-control and giving in to his weakness caused him to take what he perceived to be the only way out. Tragic for everyone involved. What makes it worse is that his personal tragedy is being used by black racists (yes there is such a thing) to instigate and perpetuate their hatred of whites by blaming white folks. We can forgive the family for expressing their grief in a racist, misguided way , but everyone else, get a grip. Race had nothing to do with this PERSONAL tragedy.
Hardy Parkerson

Greenville, MS

#14 Oct 6, 2007
It is a coverup. That's my opinion. A person does not run for office, win and then commit suicide, leaving no suicide note, no reason for anybody to conclude he committed suicide. It's another Calcasieu Parish "Cold Case". One day the power structure will change, and the real killer will be found and arrested.
s/Hardy Parkerson, Atty.
Lake Charles, LA
Hardy Parkerson

Birmingham, AL

#15 Feb 1, 2008
Please delete this comment. I should not have posted it. I know nothing about this matter, was just having fun at the time I posted it. I am sorry for the Washington Family and their tragic loss.

s/Hardy Parkerson - Retired Lawyer - Lake Charles, LA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westlake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Are There 30+ Cars Parked In Shopping Cente... Apr 21 Harley 2
Louisina Sucks! (May '16) Apr 20 Disgusted 8
News Federal judge ordered to rehab for alcoholism, ... Apr 14 CZars_R_US 2
Looking for info Mar '17 Just curious 1
News Four men arrested in counterfeit check cashing ... Mar '17 Cold hard reality 1
Turner Industries (Aug '16) Mar '17 Anonymous 4
Iowa Music Selection (Sep '12) Mar '17 Musikologist 18

Westlake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westlake Mortgages