Westlake mayor-elect discovered kille...

Westlake mayor-elect discovered killed in parking lot

There are 31 comments on the American Press story from Dec 30, 2006, titled Westlake mayor-elect discovered killed in parking lot. In it, American Press reports that:

Gerald "Wash" Washington, the city's newly elected mayor, was found dead of a gunshot wound Saturday night in a parking lot.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at American Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
justice

Laredo, TX

#1 Jan 1, 2007
White folks doing what they do best; being the devil and no other. This time they just came out in the open! Jesus talked to them in John 8:43-47.
friend

AOL

#2 Jan 2, 2007
MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE WIFE AND FAMILY OF MR.WASHINGTON. HE WILL BE MISSED AND HE WAS TRULY
LOVED AND RESPECTED BY HIS FRIENDS. I WILL NEVER FORGET HIM AND WHAT HE STOOD FOR.
PLEASE FAMILY FIND OUT THE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED. I TRULY FEEL THAT THEIR IS MORE TO BE SAID THAN WHAT IS BEING SAID.
GOD BLESS YOU AND GOD LOVES YOU

SINCERELY,

A FRIEND FROM AFAR
concern

Greenville, NC

#3 Jan 2, 2007
To the family stay strong and pray. This is the work of an evil person or person. I will follow this story to the day of conviction. God knows best. I believe what goes around comes around. They will have to answer for this.
concerned citizen

Auburn University, AL

#4 Jan 2, 2007
concern wrote:
To the family stay strong and pray. This is the work of an evil person or person. I will follow this story to the day of conviction. God knows best. I believe what goes around comes around. They will have to answer for this.
I totally agree with this quote and hope that whoever did this killing is found. I feel as though someone did NOT want him to become mayor of this town.
sam

Chicago, IL

#5 Jan 2, 2007
sure he killed himself... what crap!!!! Karma is a mutha though... don't like em kill em... THE AMERICAN WAY RIGHT!
May Oregon

Eugene, OR

#6 Jan 2, 2007
If the sheriff elect killed himself, I have some swamp land to sell you folks. Do something about this. This had KKK written ALL over it. Nice town you have there.
Angie

Aurora, CO

#7 Jan 3, 2007
I was just visiting this area. Heard lots about the happenings in this area. There is now way this man killed himself. Time will tell.
Miko

Fitchburg, MA

#8 Jan 3, 2007
I was sick to my stomach when my boss showed me this story. This is a very sick and scary society we're living in.
First the NYPD fires into a car full of unarmed black men and now this.
My deepest sympathy goes out to Mr. Washingtons family.
JoD

AOL

#9 Jan 4, 2007
May Oregon wrote:
If the sheriff elect killed himself, I have some swamp land to sell you folks. Do something about this. This had KKK written ALL over it. Nice town you have there.
You figured this out all the way from Oregon? The State Police should hire you.
JoD

AOL

#10 Jan 4, 2007
Is that bit about gambling debts true? Doesn't matter...still doesn't help his family. I was just wondering if perhaps he did take his own life. The media (as if they are honest)has suggested debt played a part. I have also read that there was no racial uprising during his election so why make it racial now?
JoD

AOL

#11 Jan 4, 2007
justice wrote:
White folks doing what they do best; being the devil and no other. This time they just came out in the open! Jesus talked to them in John 8:43-47.
You cannot be for real...
Howard NJ

AOL

#12 Jan 4, 2007
Shame on American this is a repeat of the Old
South. I hope the Washington family stay strong
and let God bring the person or persons responsible
to Justice. Just beleive in God he will show you
the way.
moe d

Moss Point, MS

#13 Jan 5, 2007
JoD wrote:
Is that bit about gambling debts true? Doesn't matter...still doesn't help his family. I was just wondering if perhaps he did take his own life. The media (as if they are honest)has suggested debt played a part. I have also read that there was no racial uprising during his election so why make it racial now?
[quote] It has already been determined that the gambling debts and home foreclosure are unsubstantiated rumors - probably started by the killer(s).
margyjane

Greenville, MS

#14 Jan 5, 2007
JoD wrote:
This was NOT a racial crime! Wash was elected mayor by the majority of votes, in a town that is 80% Black!! The chief deputy with the sheriff's department who is also a very close friend of the Washington is black. So people please THINK before you start judging and screaming RACE!!!
Lafayette Native

Midland, MI

#15 Jan 5, 2007
Margyjane, it's still the south: Louisiana, no less. Anyone who's visited or lived in Louisiana know that it's still a segregated society with plenty of deep-seeded racism. Despite the ethnic make-up of Westlake, it only takes one bigot to kill a black mayor-elect.
margyjane

Greenville, MS

#16 Jan 5, 2007
Lafayette Native wrote:
Margyjane, it's still the south: Louisiana, no less. Anyone who's visited or lived in Louisiana know that it's still a segregated society with plenty of deep-seeded racism. Despite the ethnic make-up of Westlake, it only takes one bigot to kill a black mayor-elect.
True, but considering where he was, at such a remote location, it had to be someone he knew, someone he trusted? to go and meet at that location. Believe me, it's out in the boonies where he was found. I am very curious about what happened, it will come out, one way or the other.
D A A

Brandon, MS

#17 Jan 5, 2007
margyjane wrote:
<quoted text>
This was NOT a racial crime! Wash was elected mayor by the majority of votes, in a town that is 80% Black!! The chief deputy with the sheriff's department who is also a very close friend of the Washington is black. So people please THINK before you start judging and screaming RACE!!!
Margyjane, where do you get your facts from? Every story I've read says the town was majority white. Are they all wrong? As for suicide, I don't buy it either. He was found NEAR his truck with the gun NEARBY? Do most people jump out of their vehicle and wander around a parking lot before they kill themselves? Investigators couldn't find the bullet? And the gun was jammed into his chest before it was fired and that constitutes suicide? Why couldn't it be that a killer jammed the gun into his chest? Who says it didn't happen that way? I agree that this smacks of a cover up whether racially motivated or not, but my money is on the KKK too.
Peanut21

Greenville, MS

#18 Jan 6, 2007
I think the main problem is Washington's children, who live out of Louisiana, they WANT this to be racial! They didn't give tony mancuso time to pull the cell phone records or anything. It's like they are enjoying their "15 minutes". This wasn't racial, I do think he was murdered, but by someone he knew. Time will tell.
Linda

United States

#19 Jan 6, 2007
margyjane wrote:
<quoted text>
And you too have Black Friends; Right!
Megan

Austin, TX

#20 Jan 6, 2007
21 years ago I met a man who touched my life. I knew "Wash" for only three months while I worked at Conoco as a student chemist, but he moved me in a way I'll never forget. My heart goes out to the family of this wonderful man and for a community that has always had racial tension. Jumping to conclusions that this murder -- and, even knowing Wash for only a few months, I am CERTAIN that that man would NEVER take his own life -- was racially motivated may be rash. However, I do hope that the state police actually investigate and bring the guilty party to justice. That said, for those of you who did not know him, hope you'll meet up with Wash in paradise, as I've no doubt he's already there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westlake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prien Music Emporium (Oct '12) Sep 25 Musikologist 14
What To Do In The Case Of A Work Injury (Jan '14) Sep 14 Faylinn 2
Turner Specialty Services Aug '16 Workforce 1
News Jennings Murder Investigation: Behavior Profile (Aug '09) Aug '16 dis-cuss-ted 51
Jasmine Phillips Aug '16 Concerned 1
Turner Industries Aug '16 Workforce 1
Heather Daughdrill,Pedophile (Jul '12) Jan '16 Jaha 4

Westlake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westlake Mortgages