Cops: 3 arrested in Mastic Beach bias...

Cops: 3 arrested in Mastic Beach bias attack

There are 83 comments on the Newsday.com story from Jun 30, 2009, titled Cops: 3 arrested in Mastic Beach bias attack. In it, Newsday.com reports that:

Three people - two women and a man - were arrested Monday night in a bias assault in Mastic Beach in which the suspects "made numerous anti-gay remarks about the victim's sexual orientation," police said Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
DeZz

Budd Lake, NJ

#2 Jul 5, 2009
OK lets just clear this shit up right now this was NOT a hate crime and to be frank I find it disgusting that this women used her sexual orientation to get them arrested and publicly humiliated, there needs to be a public apology to all three accused and the gay community for false statements when the truth comes out and it will.. This was nothing more then a fight, you can’t just go around taking pictures of people with out there consent, I would have did the same thing if I was in the shoes at the time, and she was not jumped , you can clearly see Lindsay and Selwyn standing on the side when the fight went on, they should have never been arrested, now there names are all over the news and papers as ” gay haters ” and they did nothing wrong.. Am a personal friend of Lindsay and I know her to be one of the kindest people I have ever met and would never do the things she is being accused of.. She does not hate gays, I happen to be a lesbian myself, so let me ask this, if she is so ” anti gay ” like this girl is portraying her to be, why she friends with me.. And I’m not her only gay friend she has a lot of gay friends..The truth will come out and when it does justice will be served and it will not be against my friend…

her hating gays, or beating some one up cuz they are gay is like the most off the wall thing i think iv ever heard..

Am not going to just sit here and let my friend be publicly destroyed..

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#4 Jul 5, 2009
You are ABSOLUTELY WRONG.

You have a legal right and a moral right to photograph ANYONE in public.

Throw these criminals in jail and give them the MAX !
LRN2SPELL

Bronx, NY

#5 Jul 5, 2009
DeZz wrote:
you can’t just go around taking pictures of people with out there consent
It's "their" and yes you can. FAIL!

“Marriage=Love+Co mmitment.....”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#6 Jul 5, 2009
The question that begs an answer is, why should they be so upset about someone taking a picture of their car driving down the street? My guess is there was some reason they didn't want there to be proof that they were on that street at that time. There is more to this story.
But as for their "friend" who posted here, yet did not have a local ISP, there is no legal justifacation for getting out of your car and beating another person who is standing in their own yard.
DeniseDW

Queens Village, NY

#7 Jul 5, 2009
I saw their pitiful mugs on TV.

Typical white trash. Not even good enough to live in a trailer park without a/c. Lindsay looks like a crackhead hooker with 3 mixed kids.
DeniseDW

Queens Village, NY

#8 Jul 5, 2009
Lindsay looks like a girl hanging out at the Hempstead bus terminal.

“Fight bigotry.”

Since: Feb 07

Toms River, NJ

#9 Jul 5, 2009
As a photographer, I know my rights, and there is absolutely no law against taking photographs of anybody on public property, no consent is required if the photographs are for personal use or in documenting newsworthy events. Consent is required for commercial use of photographs in most circumstances.

Hate crimes aren't based on the orientation of the victim or victims, they are based on the actions of the attacker. Apparently Lindsay isn't the sweetheart you think she is.
DeZz wrote:
OK lets just clear this shit up right now this was NOT a hate crime and to be frank I find it disgusting that this women used her sexual orientation to get them arrested and publicly humiliated, there needs to be a public apology to all three accused and the gay community for false statements when the truth comes out and it will.. This was nothing more then a fight, you can’t just go around taking pictures of people with out there consent, I would have did the same thing if I was in the shoes at the time, and she was not jumped , you can clearly see Lindsay and Selwyn standing on the side when the fight went on, they should have never been arrested, now there names are all over the news and papers as ” gay haters ” and they did nothing wrong.. Am a personal friend of Lindsay and I know her to be one of the kindest people I have ever met and would never do the things she is being accused of.. She does not hate gays, I happen to be a lesbian myself, so let me ask this, if she is so ” anti gay ” like this girl is portraying her to be, why she friends with me.. And I’m not her only gay friend she has a lot of gay friends..The truth will come out and when it does justice will be served and it will not be against my friend…
her hating gays, or beating some one up cuz they are gay is like the most off the wall thing i think iv ever heard..
Am not going to just sit here and let my friend be publicly destroyed..
Ponderous

Oakdale, NY

#10 Jul 5, 2009
DeZz wrote:
OK lets just clear this **** up right now this was NOT a hate crime and to be frank I find it disgusting that this women used her sexual orientation to get them arrested and publicly humiliated, there needs to be a public apology to all three accused and the gay community for false statements when the truth comes out and it will.. This was nothing more then a fight, you can’t just go around taking pictures of people with out there consent, I would have did the same thing if I was in the shoes at the time, and she was not jumped , you can clearly see Lindsay and Selwyn standing on the side when the fight went on, they should have never been arrested, now there names are all over the news and papers as ” gay haters ” and they did nothing wrong.. Am a personal friend of Lindsay and I know her to be one of the kindest people I have ever met and would never do the things she is being accused of.. She does not hate gays, I happen to be a lesbian myself, so let me ask this, if she is so ” anti gay ” like this girl is portraying her to be, why she friends with me.. And I’m not her only gay friend she has a lot of gay friends..The truth will come out and when it does justice will be served and it will not be against my friend…
her hating gays, or beating some one up cuz they are gay is like the most off the wall thing i think iv ever heard..
Am not going to just sit here and let my friend be publicly destroyed..
Just like a white person gets charged with a hate crime if they use the n word while beating up a black guy for trying to steal, it doesn't matter how many black friends he has. If they were uttering anti gay remarks while beating someone, that is factored in and the charge is a bias crime. It doesn't matter how many gay friends they have. Your friend should learn to pipe down when handing out beatings, or use phrases like "I am dissatisfied with your behavior" or "your presence offends me greatly".
Carol

Long Island City, NY

#11 Jul 5, 2009
Ponderous wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like a white person gets charged with a hate crime if they use the n word while beating up a black guy for trying to steal, it doesn't matter how many black friends he has. If they were uttering anti gay remarks while beating someone, that is factored in and the charge is a bias crime. It doesn't matter how many gay friends they have. Your friend should learn to pipe down when handing out beatings, or use phrases like "I am dissatisfied with your behavior" or "your presence offends me greatly".
I'm with you on this one Ponderous - I remember the Fat Nick incident very well - the kid getting 25 years for a "hate" crime or more accurately - because he used the "n" word.

To those on the board that know the accused - good luck.
Carol

Long Island City, NY

#12 Jul 5, 2009
ACLU-Tom wrote:
As a photographer, I know my rights, and there is absolutely no law against taking photographs of anybody on public property, no consent is required if the photographs are for personal use or in documenting newsworthy events. Consent is required for commercial use of photographs in most circumstances.

<quoted text>
ok - so who knows this other than other photographers?

That's creepy - people taking your pic without your consent - so you would think there would be a law against it.....
Carol

Long Island City, NY

#13 Jul 5, 2009
Daniel P from Long Island wrote:
You are ABSOLUTELY WRONG.
You have a legal right and a moral right to photograph ANYONE in public.
Throw these criminals in jail and give them the MAX !
MORAL? Wtf ....
Carol

Long Island City, NY

#14 Jul 5, 2009
TOPIX garbled "What the flock"
Ponderous

Oakdale, NY

#15 Jul 5, 2009
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
ok - so who knows this other than other photographers?
That's creepy - people taking your pic without your consent - so you would think there would be a law against it.....
I know it...you do know you are constantly being photographed/filmed while you are out in public, don't you? In stores, on roads, at ATMs, walking past your neighbor's house. How often do you sign a consent form to use the ATM or go into a store?
Carol

Long Island City, NY

#16 Jul 5, 2009
Ponderous wrote:
<quoted text>
I know it...you do know you are constantly being photographed/filmed while you are out in public, don't you? In stores, on roads, at ATMs, walking past your neighbor's house. How often do you sign a consent form to use the ATM or go into a store?
true - I never thought of it before really.
OhWellSchitHappe ns

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Jul 6, 2009
Is it possible that the "victim" was hitting on one of the three and it offended them?
Ponderous

Oakdale, NY

#18 Jul 6, 2009
OhWellSchitHappens wrote:
Is it possible that the "victim" was hitting on one of the three and it offended them?
Or someone in the car was hitting on the victim, and they were photographing the car to document stalking.
Carol

Long Island City, NY

#19 Jul 6, 2009
OhWellSchitHappens wrote:
Is it possible that the "victim" was hitting on one of the three and it offended them?
the more likely story ....

The kids' defense lawyers should be able to zero in on the REAL story.

“Even an Ice Princess can melt.”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#20 Jul 6, 2009
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
ok - so who knows this other than other photographers?
That's creepy - people taking your pic without your consent - so you would think there would be a law against it.....
Hmmm so because they didnt know the law its absolutely ok to beat the person up? I see Maybe i should forget a bunch of the laws them.

Ignorance of the law is not a legal defense.

“Even an Ice Princess can melt.”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#21 Jul 6, 2009
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
the more likely story ....
The kids' defense lawyers should be able to zero in on the REAL story.
Yup its always the victims fault if they are LGBT. A gay guy gets attacked He was hitting on the straight guy. A Lesbian gets attacked she was hitting on a straight girl. A transgender gets attacked she was trying to have sex with a straight guy and decieving him even if there is proof that the guy new before hand. Its always our fault.

Maybe they were just taking pictures of the neighborhood so that they can send them to friends and family.
Carol

Long Island City, NY

#22 Jul 6, 2009
Roisia wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm so because they didnt know the law its absolutely ok to beat the person up? I see Maybe i should forget a bunch of the laws them.
Ignorance of the law is not a legal defense.
Know that.

but it IS creepy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westhampton Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Horseshoe crab sting (Jul '07) Jun 27 lkjlk 79
News $1M Bail for Suspect in Fatal East Islip Home I... (Apr '11) May '16 The executioner 15
News Police: Doc's wife stole prescription slips for... (Feb '08) May '16 Ruff Sects 42
News Defendant: 'I didn't mean to shoot this young man' (Dec '07) May '16 Smart person 645
News No permanent victories against racism (Jul '14) May '16 Spotted Girl 4
News Residents Irate Over Eruv Re-Emergence (Sep '10) Jun '15 Gos 2
News Police concerns plague changing Quogue (Jul '07) Sep '14 artistbynature 22

Westhampton Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westhampton Beach Mortgages