Main St. merchant in WHB forces kids ...

Main St. merchant in WHB forces kids selling lemonade off street

Posted in the Westhampton Beach Forum

Fellow merchant

Bronx, NY

#1 Sep 21, 2010
I believe it was on Sunday of Labor day weekend, when two 10 yr old girls representing a local children's charity set up a lemonade and cookie stand on the south side of Main street, across from The Bakery. Immediately, the proprietor of the Ben and Jerry store came out and began ranting and raving at the children and some nearby parents about how this was infringing on his business and in violation of village codes. He seemed to be beside himself that it was a weekend and there was no one in the village code enforcement offices that he could call. He actually sought out the village police in an effort to have them removed from the area. Eventually he succeeded in intimidating these children to the point that they moved their table across the street and further away from his business.
As a fellow Main Street Merchant, I am embarrassed and dismayed that this man represented the worst mercenary aspects of our community to these children. I understand that Main St is about doing lots of business in the short summer season we have; but it was a great season for all, especially for the Ice Cream stores. Didn't he make enough money? How petty and small-minded can you get, to be threatened by kids selling lemonade for a charitable cause on a warm summer evening? Im ashamed for my community! I urge everyone to boycott this greedy, insensitive idiot and his overpriced products.
florence

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Sep 23, 2010
i never pruchased anything from this dislikable merchant cause his prices were out of line and from hearing and reading this description of chastising kids I certainly never will,830 in fact will have all friends and neighbors told about it as well in case they do not read the local papers.What goes around comes around. This was a bad faux pas on his behalf.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westhampton Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nesconset man sentenced in slaying of Smithtown... (Jun '08) Thu BUTTOX 19
News Charges Filed In LI Chimney Sweep Scam (Feb '06) Aug '16 Chimneyman39 331
News Horseshoe crab sting (Jul '07) Aug '16 11951Ratdog 86
News Residents Irate Over Eruv Re-Emergence (Sep '10) Jun '15 Gos 2
News Police concerns plague changing Quogue (Jul '07) Sep '14 artistbynature 22
News The Zombies Coming to WHBPAC, 8/16 (Aug '14) Aug '14 Vinnie Fontaine 1
News Advocates Discuss Lack of East End Youth Services (Jun '14) Jun '14 Max Mascia 1

Westhampton Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westhampton Beach Mortgages