Where to go for a free Thanksgiving dinner

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

All across metropolitan Indianapolis, groups will be serving free Thanksgiving meals.
Comments
41 - 60 of 71 Comments Last updated Nov 23, 2013
Ms Betty

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Kim wrote:
How about they all get a effing job first? Handouts are the reason our economy is in its current state. It isn't fair that I work 3 jobs and buy my own turkey and some welfare leach sits at home and cries the blues because her boyfriend spent all her foodstamps on TV dinners and now she doesn't have enough to feed her 6 children by 6 men. Give me a break!!<quoted text>
I am a senior living on Soc Sec. I can't afford to eat out. I no longer have family members in the state. I refuse to barge in on my friends on this family oriented day. I am not on assistance of any kind but it would be nice to have a good hot meal on occasions like this. No it's not fair you have to work 3 jobs but then you should consider yourself lucky cause I know of families that can't get one job. You sound very bitter and I feel sorry for you but maybe you'll realize you can't lump everyone into a beggers catagory. I am going to Salvation Army to help serve the homeless people and my thanks will be a hot meal. I hope you have a better Christmas, my dear.
Harmony

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

I'm going to mommas. I luv turkey. Free food at mommas is guud.
Me thankful

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Freecosts, before you talk crap learn how to spell, first of all some people are not as lucky as you, you probably live at your parents house and they cook for you, you probably pay no bills, and I highly doubt a homeless person will have an iPhone or a computer, maybe you mean a person who is on welfare. but some of us pay bills, have no family, or maybe even have a large family,(kids, wife), and cannot affordf a really nice Thanksgiving dinner. so churches help people who are not as likely as you and provide them with a meal on theyre table. so please stop talking crap, mind your own business, and be thankful for what you have, I know I am, happy Thanksgiving and I will pray for you!!
pk

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Me thankful wrote:
Freecosts, before you talk crap learn how to spell, first of all some people are not as lucky as you, you probably live at your parents house and they cook for you, you probably pay no bills, and I highly doubt a homeless person will have an iPhone or a computer, maybe you mean a person who is on welfare. but some of us pay bills, have no family, or maybe even have a large family,(kids, wife), and cannot affordf a really nice Thanksgiving dinner. so churches help people who are not as likely as you and provide them with a meal on theyre table. so please stop talking crap, mind your own business, and be thankful for what you have, I know I am, happy Thanksgiving and I will pray for you!!
Whoever free costs is, they wrote that 5 years ago.
don

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Freecosts wrote:
Im sure all the homeless across the city will have there lap tops and Iphones ready today to get this message here online on how/where to get a free meal. And Why is it that thanks-giving seems to be more a thanks-taking day.
Most of Americans will spend the day stuffing themselves with enough food to feed a third word country and sucking down many beers while watching a lazy day football game.
Goes to show ya.
Is this trully.
Why are you so bitter? Some people really do need a free meal and some have other means of eating. How can you not feed the ones that need it because some abuse the system. I've give and helped other people my whole life. Paid my taxes and given to charities. I got sick and lost everything from 40 years of marriage. I'm 65 years old and just spent 3 months in a homeless shelter. Now I've got a nice place to live and I am ok now. Don't judge others until you walk in their shoes. Bless you and have a happy Thanksgiving.
Gobble guy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

All this is making me hungry..I already got 4 places to hit up for a free meal..Hey I dont want to take adavantage of one place but I need to get my turkey coma on!
Outlaw

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Gobble guy...pass the gravy. .
turkey

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Gobble guy wrote:
All this is making me hungry..I already got 4 places to hit up for a free meal..Hey I dont want to take adavantage of one place but I need to get my turkey coma on!
Forego Internet access and buy your own Turkey. Turkey.

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

entitled? Where does it say that.
It kind of funny that my mother use to help out at a church in Hancock county for Thanksgiving dinner. They had to close because there was not enough people ordering dinners. Now lets look at Marion Country. 40,000 meals expected. Maybe this is why Hancock is growing.
T-Mag wrote:
Every man, woman and child in this country is entitled to a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner. Our government should give vouchers to make it fair. You could put vouchers together and use them at the grocery store to buy the necessary items or redeem individual vouchers at dinners like mentioned in the artical for a free dinner.
Michelle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

I can't find any area in baraboo wi that has free Thanksgiving meals. I do not have the money to buy a meal. :-(:-(
Teejay

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Rev WarBucks wrote:
Send them go to fight in the War in the middle east and let them earn a meal the old fashion way. Kill for it!
In Jesus Name! Amen.
Wow and u call yourself a man of God? Yes lets send the depraved and hungry out to fight in a war. Yes that'll feed em!! God said thou shall not kill. Not go forth and kill in my name!!!
Teejay

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

You ppl on here are all a nonchalant of self centered ppl. And when the economy hits you and you fall on hard times, may you receive the same amount of"compassion"your showing today.#ItsJustSad

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

I have always lived like I was in hard times. People that will ever have anything, lives that way everyday. That way, when it really hits other people can come down to our level.
Teejay wrote:
You ppl on here are all a nonchalant of self centered ppl. And when the economy hits you and you fall on hard times, may you receive the same amount of"compassion"your showing today.#ItsJustSad
Be Thankful

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

I just hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving & ate lots of turkey!!! And be thankful
if you had a turkey & a meal to eat, some people here & in other countries aren't as
lucky & fortunate as we are. That's a thought to ponder on isn't it?
Linda Bedsore

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Are these free loaders Black?
nick

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

T-Mag wrote:
Every man, woman and child in this country is entitled to a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner. Our government should give vouchers to make it fair. You could put vouchers together and use them at the grocery store to buy the necessary items or redeem individual vouchers at dinners like mentioned in the artical for a free dinner.
this is true
toydiva65

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

Wow...."entitlement" ....."hand outs"..."too many vouchers" and "This is why out country is bankrupt"...are you people kidding me? REALLY? You obviously have NO CLUE how the welfare system is handled.

First, I need to get this off my chest. The government cuts funding to the poor simply because they haven't the means to fight back. And for all of you cheerleaders who are happy about the recent cuts in food stamps, GUESS WHAT?! The poor will have food taken from their mouths and YOUR TAXES DON'T DECREASE A PENNY!! Hmmmm.

No one is entitled to anything, as some have pointed out. However, for people who have worked their buns off their entire lives and lose a job because the factory shuts down, they NEED the help. And don't be an idiot and say there are plenty of safety nets because there are NOT. There are hoops and red tape and just plain stupidity.

Why is welfare abused? Many have no clue that two years ago, the government "did away" with caseworkers (thousands lost their jobs) and implemented a 1-800 call center. There are no longer people in the field to check up on people who may be getting benefits they don't qualify for....aka "welfare fraud".

In order to get cash assistance, you must attend job training classes, do job searches and go to interviews or you lose your assistance. The same goes for SNAP (food stamps) there are NO totally free rides.

And to the person who said that this is the reason our country is bankrupt, you made me laugh till I cried! Welfare is a mere drop in an enormous body of overspending.....the space program....the money our government spends to rebuild other countries (countries that are WEALTHY and not in debt) There are so many ridiculous government programs out there where money is wasted yet everyone blames it on welfare....the "lazy", as someone put it.

I am NOT lazy nor do I go around asking for more handouts. I worked from the time I was 14 and have to stop working to care for my terminally ill son full times. My husband and I made sacrifices because of this. Then a HUGE company comes in, closes an Indiana manufacturing facility and we have gone from middle class to poor in 24 hours! He has been sending out hundreds of resumes a week, going on interviews, taking job courses, interview courses, resume writing course and he is still unemployed after 9 months.

Yes, we have cash assistance.....which we will lose December 1st because some paperwork was never sent to us. Merry Christmas kids! We are on SNAP and just had it cut. I spent every penny on food for a month (not junk food etc as everyone thinks...I cook soups and chili and anything I can that will last a few days) but now there is NO MONEY left for milk, bread and eggs when we run out and Thanksgiving? Not at my house this year.

We are struggling, selling everything we can that is not a necessity and doing everything we can just to get by. Please do not judge because you never know when the next job cuts will come and YOU will be behind me in the grocery line, hiding your food stamp card because of people's dirty looks and sneers.

In a country that was founded on God and Christian values, people have no compassion to help those in need. MY money, MY taxes.....if it involves either of those two things, suddenly it's all about separation of church and state and looking down to those who truly need help. Not everyone cheats the system....a system that has been in place since World War I!! Did we go broke then? No! Hmmm....I wonder what that says about those whom have taken office since this program was implemented so long ago.

Okay...off my soap box now. But please just remember, your job could be gone tomorrow. You could be in an accident that renders you unable to work. One of your children could be diagnosed with a terminal illness next week. Your house could burn down. If any of those things happen, I pray that those "safety nets" that you all believe are so readily abundant are still there. Happy holidays.
nogo

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

toydiva65 wrote:
Wow...."entitlement" ....."hand outs"..."too many vouchers" and "This is why out country is bankrupt"...are you people kidding me? REALLY? You obviously have NO CLUE how the welfare system is handled.

First, I need to get this off my chest. The government cuts funding to the poor simply because they haven't the means to fight back. And for all of you cheerleaders who are happy about the recent cuts in food stamps, GUESS WHAT?! The poor will have food taken from their mouths and YOUR TAXES DON'T DECREASE A PENNY!! Hmmmm.

No one is entitled to anything, as some have pointed out. However, for people who have worked their buns off their entire lives and lose a job because the factory shuts down, they NEED the help. And don't be an idiot and say there are plenty of safety nets because there are NOT. There are hoops and red tape and just plain stupidity.

Why is welfare abused? Many have no clue that two years ago, the government "did away" with caseworkers (thousands lost their jobs) and implemented a 1-800 call center. There are no longer people in the field to check up on people who may be getting benefits they don't qualify for....aka "welfare fraud".

In order to get cash assistance, you must attend job training classes, do job searches and go to interviews or you lose your assistance. The same goes for SNAP (food stamps) there are NO totally free rides.

And to the person who said that this is the reason our country is bankrupt, you made me laugh till I cried! Welfare is a mere drop in an enormous body of overspending.....the space program....the money our government spends to rebuild other countries (countries that are WEALTHY and not in debt) There are so many ridiculous government programs out there where money is wasted yet everyone blames it on welfare....the "lazy", as someone put it.

I am NOT lazy nor do I go around asking for more handouts. I worked from the time I was 14 and have to stop working to care for my terminally ill son full times. My husband and I made sacrifices because of this. Then a HUGE company comes in, closes an Indiana manufacturing facility and we have gone from middle class to poor in 24 hours! He has been sending out hundreds of resumes a week, going on interviews, taking job courses, interview courses, resume writing course and he is still unemployed after 9 months.

Yes, we have cash assistance.....which we will lose December 1st because some paperwork was never sent to us. Merry Christmas kids! We are on SNAP and just had it cut. I spent every penny on food for a month (not junk food etc as everyone thinks...I cook soups and chili and anything I can that will last a few days) but now there is NO MONEY left for milk, bread and eggs when we run out and Thanksgiving? Not at my house this year.

We are struggling, selling everything we can that is not a necessity and doing everything we can just to get by. Please do not judge because you never know when the next job cuts will come and YOU will be behind me in the grocery line, hiding your food stamp card because of people's dirty looks and sneers.

In a country that was founded on God and Christian values, people have no compassion to help those abundant are still there. Happy holidays.
Get rid of Internet. You will have more than enough for a turkey and all the trimmings if you shop at aldi

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

"In a country that was founded on God and Christian values"
Oh boy are y0u going to get it now from some of these posters.
toydiva65 wrote:

In a country that was founded on God and Christian values, people have no compassion to help those in need. MY money, MY taxes.....if it involves either of those two things, suddenly it's all about separation of church and state and looking down to those who truly need help. Not everyone cheats the system....a system that has been in place since World War I!! Did we go broke then? No! Hmmm....I wonder what that says about those whom have taken office since this program was implemented so long ago.
Okay...off my soap box now. But please just remember, your job could be gone tomorrow. You could be in an accident that renders you unable to work. One of your children could be diagnosed with a terminal illness next week. Your house could burn down. If any of those things happen, I pray that those "safety nets" that you all believe are so readily abundant are still there. Happy holidays.

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

"In a country that was founded on God and Christian values"

Oh boy are you going to get it from some of these posters.
toydiva65 wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Westfield Discussions

Search the Westfield Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
any black chicks wanna have sex? 1 hr hungwhiteboy 1
NRA Lawyer is a Convicted Murderer 14 hr W LaPierre 3
Officer Renn isn't dead Mon Ignorance 5
Franklin teen improving after near drowning in ... Mon Vicky Umbarger 1
Black and Tired Mon Ole John 12
Indianapolis man faces murder charge in shootin... Mon Ole John 10
Stop China! - don't buy Chinese made products (Apr '09) Sun Mandy 91
•••
•••