Where to go for a free Thanksgiving dinner

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

All across metropolitan Indianapolis, groups will be serving free Thanksgiving meals.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of71
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
T-Mag

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

Judged:

Every man, woman and child in this country is entitled to a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner. Our government should give vouchers to make it fair. You could put vouchers together and use them at the grocery store to buy the necessary items or redeem individual vouchers at dinners like mentioned in the artical for a free dinner.
Freecosts

Rochester, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

Judged:

Im sure all the homeless across the city will have there lap tops and Iphones ready today to get this message here online on how/where to get a free meal. And Why is it that thanks-giving seems to be more a thanks-taking day.
Most of Americans will spend the day stuffing themselves with enough food to feed a third word country and sucking down many beers while watching a lazy day football game.
Goes to show ya.
Is this trully.
Rev WarBucks

Rochester, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

Judged:

Send them go to fight in the War in the middle east and let them earn a meal the old fashion way. Kill for it!

In Jesus Name! Amen.
Welfare Mentality

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

Judged:

T-Mag, you are the typical welfare slacker who has his hand out and says gimme, gimme, gimme. Get a job you loser.
T-Mag wrote:
Every man, woman and child in this country is entitled to a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner. Our government should give vouchers to make it fair. You could put vouchers together and use them at the grocery store to buy the necessary items or redeem individual vouchers at dinners like mentioned in the artical for a free dinner.
Thankful

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

Judged:

Calvary Tabernacle on Fletcher Ave. is also serving a Thanksgiving meal at 12pm. I think they are also running vans/buses to bring in people who can't get there on their own.
Thanksgiving isn't about football, people, it's about giving thanks! Part of thankfullness is realizing how many blessings we have and sharing with those who are less fortunate.
Me Myself and I

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

Judged:

Welfare Mentality wrote:
T-Mag, you are the typical welfare slacker who has his hand out and says gimme, gimme, gimme. Get a job you loser.
<quoted text>
This country is already overwhelmed with "vouchers" and you don't even have to be a citizen. It's disgusting!
PCRedneck

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

Judged:

I get a free dinner at My In-laws house every Thanksgiving, but I have to put up with a lot of crap while I am eating.
Old Boiler

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

Judged:

T-Mag wrote:
Untrue, no one is entitled to anything! People do however, provide charity meals to those in need out of the generosity in their heart.
Thinking such as yours is why most governments are bancrupt.
T-Mag

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

Judged:

Our school cafeterias should be open and our students should be able to go to school and get a free Thanksgiving meal. These kids will have to go 4 days without a proper meal.
Fez

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

Judged:

The Prince Hall Masonic Lodge located at 2201 Central Ave. will be serving its annual Thanksgiving dinner for the needy, beginning at approximately 9 AM. For home delivery or more information, call the Prince Hall Masonic Association (this forum does not allow the posting of phone numbers).
Do Unto Others

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

Judged:

Good thing for people like Lucious Newsome, or some of these people would go hungry the other 364 days of the year. It's admirable that people feel charitable around the Holidays, but the need is year-round.
And before the nay-sayers begin...Yes, I walk the walk in addition to talking the talk.
I invite others to join us. It feels good to help people!
Eastside Elephant

Valparaiso, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

Have the Salvation Army, Good Shepherd, and Wheeler Mission gone out of business? Your list wasn't very comprehensive. Did someone in another city "gather the facts" for this article.
Kim

Phelan, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2009

Judged:

How about they all get a effing job first? Handouts are the reason our economy is in its current state. It isn't fair that I work 3 jobs and buy my own turkey and some welfare leach sits at home and cries the blues because her boyfriend spent all her foodstamps on TV dinners and now she doesn't have enough to feed her 6 children by 6 men. Give me a break!!
T-Mag wrote:
Kim Too

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2009

Judged:

I would have to agree that every human being is entitled to a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I know that there are more unemployed & homeless than ever. Yes, some people are at fault because they choose to live the way they do, but there are many who cannot help it. It is really sad to see some of the homeless people downtown. If I could help all of them I would.

“Is this thing on?”

Since: Jun 07

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2009

Judged:

Kim Too wrote:
I would have to agree that every human being is entitled to a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I know that there are more unemployed & homeless than ever. Yes, some people are at fault because they choose to live the way they do, but there are many who cannot help it. It is really sad to see some of the homeless people downtown. If I could help all of them I would.
The truly unfortunate will find the charitable meals that they need.
Amazing to me are the ones on here who keep saying someone is "entitled" to anything.
Where in our Constitution does it state that anyone has "entitlements" to ANY material things?
In no other country in the world, do the “poor” enjoy at least one color TV, with cable hookup to many of them. Plus the safety nets & programs that are in place like no others in history, anywhere.
When my wife is at the grocery, buying the basic ingredients to assemble a traditional Tksgvg dinner for the family & friends, why should she feel that the person, with anywhere from 2-6 kids in front of her in line, buying chips, soda, frozen dinners, Hostess treats, etc with their food stamp card, right before Tksgvg, should be ENTITLED to a free meal prepared by someone else?

Since: May 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2009

Judged:

No one is ENTITLED to anything. I applaud those that volunteer time & resources to feed the homeless and do their part to give others a Thanksgiving dinner, but it's not the government's responsibility in any way.

This has been around for a while, but can't be read enough:

We the sensible people of the United States, in an attempt to help everyone get along, restore some semblance of justice, avoid any more riots, keep our nation safe, promote positive behavior and secure the blessings of debt free liberty to ourselves and our great great-great grandchildren, hereby try one more time to ordain and establish some common sense guidelines for the terminally whiny, guilt ridden, delusional, and other liberal bedwetters.
We hold these truths to be self-evident: That a whole lot of people were confused by the Bill of Rights and are so dim that they require a Bill of Non Rights.

ARTICLE I -- You do not have the right to a new car, big screen TV or any form of wealth.

More power to you if you can legally acquire them, but no one is guaranteeing anything.

ARTICLE II -- You do not have the right to never be offended.

This country is based on freedom, and that means the freedom for everyone, not just you! You may leave the room, turn the channel, express a different opinion, etc., but the world is full of idiots and probably always will be.

ARTICLE III -- You do not have the right to be free from harm.

If you stick a screwdriver in your eye, learn to be more careful. Do not expect the tool manufacturer to make you and all your relatives independently wealthy.

ARTICLE IV -- You do not have the right to free food and housing.

Americans are the most charitable people to be found, and will gladly help anyone in need but we are quickly growing weary of subsidizing generations of professional couch potatoes who achieve nothing more than the creation of another generation of professional couch potatoes.

ARTICLE V -- You do not have the right to free health care.

That would be nice but, from the looks of public housing, we're just not interested in government run health care.

ARTICLE VI -- You do not have the right to physically harm other people.

If you kidnap, rape, intentionally maim or kill someone, don't be surprised if the rest of us want to see you fry in the electric chair.

ARTICLE VII -- You do not have the right to the possessions of others.

If you rob, cheat or coerce away the goods or services of other citizens, don't be surprised if the rest of us get together and lock you away in a place where you still won't have the right to a big screen TV or a life of leisure.

ARTICLE VIII -- You don't have the right to demand that our children risk their lives in foreign wars to soothe your aching conscience.

We hate oppressive governments and won't lift a finger to stop you from going to fight, if you'd like. However, we do not enjoy parenting the entire world and do not want to spend so much of our time battling each and every little tyrant with a military uniform and a funny hat.

ARTICLE IX -- You don't have the right to a job.

All of us sure want all of you to have one, and will gladly help you in hard times, but we expect you to take advantage of the opportunities of education and vocational training laid before you to make yourself useful.

ARTICLE X -- You do not have the right to happiness.

Being an American means that you have the right to pursue happiness -- which by the way, is a lot easier if you are unencumbered by an over abundance of idiotic laws created by those of you who were confused by the Bill of Rights.
Kim too

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2009

Judged:

Sown Oats wrote:
<quoted text>
The truly unfortunate will find the charitable meals that they need.
Amazing to me are the ones on here who keep saying someone is "entitled" to anything.
Where in our Constitution does it state that anyone has "entitlements" to ANY material things?
In no other country in the world, do the “poor” enjoy at least one color TV, with cable hookup to many of them. Plus the safety nets & programs that are in place like no others in history, anywhere.
When my wife is at the grocery, buying the basic ingredients to assemble a traditional Tksgvg dinner for the family & friends, why should she feel that the person, with anywhere from 2-6 kids in front of her in line, buying chips, soda, frozen dinners, Hostess treats, etc with their food stamp card, right before Tksgvg, should be ENTITLED to a free meal prepared by someone else?
I would have to agree about your wife's trips to the grocery store thing, because this ticks me off, too. My husband and I work very hard for everything our family has. But I still get sad to see some of the old veterans on the street who have no other choice. Believe me, I don't mean the young people out having 20 babies and living on welfare. That needed to be stopped a long time ago. Some of them dress better than I do, and drive better cars. So you are right.
Sydney

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2009

Judged:

T-Mag wrote:
T

The sentiment that Every man, woman and child in this country is entitled to a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner is a lovely and civil thought. Let us not forget the individual human character and fortitude that began the settlement of this nation. There were positive and negative consequences of that settlement. There were elements of both greed and hope that moved forward to discover this land. The educated business mind was motivated to come to this new land because of the promise of wealth and this motivation went hand-in-hand with the desire of the common man to live a life that was free from religious persecution. The hardiness of these people with both sets of goals is one of many reasons we celebrate Thanksgiving today, along with our individual familial personal reasons. It would seem that we must be careful of using the word entitlement, for it was not entitlement that provided the strength and stamina to survive during the tenuous settling of this nation, it was a shared sense of purpose that included the mentality of 'Your work you eat.' As I believe it was Captain John Smith who once uttered these words. While the true character of a person must include compassion and empathy we must all remember to encourage one another to share our individual gift no matter how great or small it may be, we all have the ability to contribute something to the greater good of a society. Perhaps we should remember that Every man, woman and child has the ability and gift to contribute to the greater good of all. When we use the word entitlement we must weigh that statement and the message it sends and make sure it is said in a way that it does not serve to undermine the human worth and contribution that Every Man, Woman and Child is able to provide to some measure.
Tebo

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2009

Judged:

Sydney wrote:
<quoted text>T
The sentiment that Every man, woman and child in this country is entitled to a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner is a lovely and civil thought. Let us not forget the individual human character and fortitude that began the settlement of this nation. There were positive and negative consequences of that settlement. There were elements ...blah...blah...blah.
I couldn't even make it through this garbage.
Linda Bledsoe

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2009

Judged:

Want more free stuff?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/

Tell it to Obama. He loves promising free stuff to people who can't afford it. If you work hard and make a good income you will be rewarded by being forced to give it to Uncle Sam so they can redistribute it as they see fit. If you don't give it to Uncle Sam, you will be imprisoned. The sad thing is our country has lower taxes than most developed economies.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of71
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Westfield Discussions

Search the Westfield Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Frontenac Street Lawrence Indiana 9600 block BU... 30 min The Ultimate Kaptoz 2
They're Here 38 min Black Ops 1
Chokehold them brothas 47 min The Ultimate Kaptoz 4
Assult on Civilized Entertainment Motley Crue J... 9 hr who cares 4
Karen dehut 13 hr yearnin learnin 4
A bar called the Green Onion (Mar '07) 16 hr Incense and Peppermints 4
The Big Phony Cop 16 hr Hot Coffee Krispy Kreme 5
•••
•••