Bigot? Racist? Not so fast!

Posted in the Westfield Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
AllAmerican

Noblesville, IN

#1 Jan 29, 2013
First of all, my family owned slaves until almost 150 years ago. I do not think it was morally right, and I do not know what I would have done in my forefather's shoes. That being said, my family's history is well documented, both on the "white" side, and the "slave" side, as told by the descendants of those that were slaves. There is a very lengthy, and detailed book written about the relationship between my family, and their slaves. This book is very different from normal literature because it was written by a college professor, and used tape recorded oral history, as told by slave descendants. When freedom came for the slaves, my grandfather (3 greats) worried that the couple of slave families had no place to go, and gave them nearly 600 acres of wooded Kentucky hill country (some say more, some say less). They were able to sell timber, and grow corn and tobacco to survive. I might mention that this was no different than what the white people were doing to survive at the time. From the beginning of this secluded "colony" in the hills, there were many whites that tried incessantly to start trouble with these relatively peaceful freed slaves and their descendants. My grandfather (2 greats) served as the county's chief law officer and spent a great deal of time keeping racist white people from going into the colony and causing trouble. As a matter of fact, he shot and killed one of three white brothers that continually threatened them. All of that being said, eventually violence prevailed. Although peaceful for the most part, some of the colony's unruly members eventually spread out to the Indy and Chicago areas. One off the first Indianapolis policeman killed in the line of duty, was killed by a member of that family of freed slaves who then fled back to the hills of Kentucky. My grandfather (2 greats) knew where he was, but didn't tell anyone. Eventually, a descendant of another freed slave family turned him in for ransom money after befriending him while he lived in a cave. After all of the older generations were gone, the upcoming generations became increasingly more violent and troublesome. Illegal liquor, and theft among other things became the norm. Eventually the last remaining members vacated and settled in Indianapolis never to return. Now, for arguments sake, I can see how the actions of some of the local white people drove these people to become irrational criminals. However, with the exception of actually owning slaves, my family never did anything to these people that was dishonest, or underhanded. Remember, this was not told by white people, but by descendants of slaves themselves. My family did not trade slaves. They did not sell them. From 1639, they had one family of slaves, and some of those received treatment as if they were true family, even to the point of eating in the "masters" house, which was largely unheard of. One story told by slave descendants, was about how my grandfather (3 greats) had loaned a male slave to another farmer for the day, and this farmer allowed his son to supervise this slaves work. He was angry with the slaves performance and struck him, along with verbal abuse. My grandfather went to the field the next day and beat this other farmers son to within an inch of his life and explained that he was not to ever lay a hand on him, and if he did, he would kill him. He also never sent another to work for him. I am typing this because I am sick and tired of hearing about all of this lynching, and KKK crap that people keep throwing out. I have never had a family member that was a member of any hate organization. Yes, they owned slaves, and that could be viewed as an act of hate, but that was so long ago. How long do we have to hear it? I do not hate anybody, I hate people's actions, and I assure you it isn't restricted to any particular color. Some of you have me pegged as a racist, a bigot, a gun lover, and who knows what else, but you are wrong.(Contd)
ragtop

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Jan 29, 2013
Braggart
AllAmerican

Noblesville, IN

#3 Jan 29, 2013
I know many of you will be incapable of comprehending, and extracting any actual good out of this story simply due to the fact that slavery is the issue. I may be viewed as a elitist that got everything I have because of my family's use of slaves to succeed. I can assure you, nothing could be farther from the truth. When my father was young, my grandfather was basically a sharecropper. Living with his family, in a one room log cabin on another man's farm. He received very little pay, and most of his labor was for room and board. They raised vegetables, and hogs in the yard of their hillside cabin to survive. What you civilized people will have a hard time comprehending is that this was taking place in the 1950s. My grandfather never complained, worked hard and eventually was able to move to Indy for a factory job. He and my grandmother shared a duplex, the first house he ever owned, with my great aunt and uncle on the east side (the American dream) until he died less than a year after he retired. The cabin in Kentucky is still there. I have taken my father there more than once to see it. It is sobering to watch him wander that yard, wondering what is on his mind, but I don't ask. You see, as a result of hard, non stop, and honest work, he became relatively successful too. Somewhat amazing, considering he was born in a log cabin, and then spent his whole childhood in another, and all with a sixth grade education. So to Moe, and all the others that think they know how everything was, and why everything is like it is, you just might be mistaken. I am sure I will continue to play around on here for entertainment, even though I am also sure I have received the mark of hate from the peaceful and forgiving "left".
ragtop

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Jan 29, 2013
AllAmerican wrote:
I know many of you will be incapable of comprehending, and extracting any actual good out of this story simply due to the fact that slavery is the issue. I may be viewed as a elitist that got everything I have because of my family's use of slaves to succeed. I can assure you, nothing could be farther from the truth. When my father was young, my grandfather was basically a sharecropper. Living with his family, in a one room log cabin on another man's farm. He received very little pay, and most of his labor was for room and board. They raised vegetables, and hogs in the yard of their hillside cabin to survive. What you civilized people will have a hard time comprehending is that this was taking place in the 1950s. My grandfather never complained, worked hard and eventually was able to move to Indy for a factory job. He and my grandmother shared a duplex, the first house he ever owned, with my great aunt and uncle on the east side (the American dream) until he died less than a year after he retired. The cabin in Kentucky is still there. I have taken my father there more than once to see it. It is sobering to watch him wander that yard, wondering what is on his mind, but I don't ask. You see, as a result of hard, non stop, and honest work, he became relatively successful too. Somewhat amazing, considering he was born in a log cabin, and then spent his whole childhood in another, and all with a sixth grade education. So to Moe, and all the others that think they know how everything was, and why everything is like it is, you just might be mistaken. I am sure I will continue to play around on here for entertainment, even though I am also sure I have received the mark of hate from the peaceful and forgiving "left".
News flash. It's 2013.
AllAmerican

Noblesville, IN

#5 Jan 29, 2013
ragtop wrote:
<quoted text>
News flash. It's 2013.
And you sir, or ma'am, have just driven home precisely, the point I have been trying to make for weeks now. Thank you very much!
AllAmerican

Noblesville, IN

#6 Jan 29, 2013
ragtop wrote:
<quoted text>
News flash. It's 2013.
You see, when some want to reflect and live in the past, it is a healthy part of the healing process, but when others reflect, they are just living in the past, or clinging on to old baggage.
ragtop

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Jan 29, 2013
AllAmerican wrote:
<quoted text>You see, when some want to reflect and live in the past, it is a healthy part of the healing process, but when others reflect, they are just living in the past, or clinging on to old baggage.
May you find the healing you seek
AllAmerican

Noblesville, IN

#8 Jan 29, 2013
ragtop wrote:
<quoted text>
May you find the healing you seek
Hey, that sounds like something Moe would say!
Moe

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Jan 29, 2013
ragtop wrote:
<quoted text>
May you find the healing you seek
Did you find another Moe?

Nut case!
AllAmerican

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#11 Jan 30, 2013
Funny how these posts get judged. One person will write a semi-intelligent piece, and be judged as "clueless", "nuts", and "spam". However, the many Moes type 4 words that don't mean anything, and they are "brilliant", "agree", and "helpful". It is painfully obvious to me who is "nuts" and "clueless".
Independent

Rushville, IN

#12 Jan 30, 2013
AllAmerican wrote:
Funny how these posts get judged. One person will write a semi-intelligent piece, and be judged as "clueless", "nuts", and "spam". However, the many Moes type 4 words that don't mean anything, and they are "brilliant", "agree", and "helpful". It is painfully obvious to me who is "nuts" and "clueless".
Dont worry those are Obama voters doing the judging.
AllAmerican

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#13 Jan 30, 2013
ragtop wrote:
<quoted text>
News flash. It's 2013.
Tell that to the makers of the "lynching quilt".

“NOT RUSSIAN”

Since: May 08

and not from Russia

#14 Jan 30, 2013
AllAmerican - you are definitely onto something. There are some plain facts that exist in HISTORY that cannot be refuted. Many well-off families owned slaves, particularly in the south, but based on liberal logic, there could ONLY be 1% rich people. So that was your 1%. The remaining 99% of us didn't own slaves. They couldn't afford it.

This race baiting is just that; there are a lot more blacks who have NO issue with whites whatsoever, and furthermore, as I have said in the past, my black female coworker has told me she's grateful to be American, and that there's 'trash' everywhere, in all races. It's not hard to see. We joke about how all white people look alike, and 'would you PLEASE pull yo damn pants up@!" It's quite a learning experience, enlightening, and satisfying.
Moe

United States

#15 Jan 30, 2013
AllAmerican wrote:
Funny how these posts get judged. One person will write a semi-intelligent piece, and be judged as "clueless", "nuts", and "spam". However, the many Moes type 4 words that don't mean anything, and they are "brilliant", "agree", and "helpful". It is painfully obvious to me who is "nuts" and "clueless".
I am bright.

Are you still seeing me in every liberal and intelligent post?
Independent

Rushville, IN

#16 Jan 30, 2013
What history has forgot about is the indentured servant, they were promised if they came to country and worked, without pay they would be given their freedom, some were worked to death others had to work years longer because the their owner added more time for things like food and cloths, most were white.
AllAmerican

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#17 Jan 30, 2013
Moe wrote:
<quoted text>
I am bright.
Are you still seeing me in every liberal and intelligent post?
I have yet to see an intelligent post from any of the Moes. All I have seen is fingerpointing, false conveyences of faith, and copy and pasting of jibberish, usually about the KKK, written by someone else. So when I start seeing truly thought out, intelligent posts, I will answer your question. However, I assume it will be some time before I get back to you.
AllAmerican

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#18 Jan 30, 2013
Russia1513 wrote:
AllAmerican - you are definitely onto something. There are some plain facts that exist in HISTORY that cannot be refuted. Many well-off families owned slaves, particularly in the south, but based on liberal logic, there could ONLY be 1% rich people. So that was your 1%. The remaining 99% of us didn't own slaves. They couldn't afford it.
This race baiting is just that; there are a lot more blacks who have NO issue with whites whatsoever, and furthermore, as I have said in the past, my black female coworker has told me she's grateful to be American, and that there's 'trash' everywhere, in all races. It's not hard to see. We joke about how all white people look alike, and 'would you PLEASE pull yo damn pants up@!" It's quite a learning experience, enlightening, and satisfying.
Also intersting to see comments from those who accused me of trying to repress history when I asked if a lynching quilt was time well spent, given the other problems in the world. However, if I want to ponder my family history, I am told to wake up! It's 2013! Liberals are soooo funny!
Duchess

Greenwood, IN

#19 Jan 30, 2013
AllAmerican wrote:
Funny how these posts get judged. One person will write a semi-intelligent piece, and be judged as "clueless", "nuts", and "spam". However, the many Moes type 4 words that don't mean anything, and they are "brilliant", "agree", and "helpful". It is painfully obvious to me who is "nuts" and "clueless".
Thank you.
Duchess

Greenwood, IN

#20 Jan 30, 2013
Thanks All- American for the interesting read.
AllAmerican

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#21 Jan 30, 2013
Duchess wrote:
Thanks All- American for the interesting read.
Though somewhat controversial, depending on which side you are on, the book is an interesting read for sure. Glad you enjoyed it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
35/w/m Wants to lick your feet 6 hr Lewis 1
Blacks boycotting black friday lol 11 hr Pontificating 3
Where to go for a free Thanksgiving dinner (Nov '07) 16 hr lonely senior 74
Looking For A Former Band Member Wed Former Bandmate 6
Let it Out (Oct '07) Wed brenandkev 226
Miss M Wed gest 8
Live Feed ON/IN Ferguson from INFO WARS Tue who cares 2
Westfield Dating
Find my Match

Westfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Westfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Westfield

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:19 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:19AM
Breaking Down Colts' Game Plan
NBC Sports 8:12 AM
Colts make a change at cornerback
Bleacher Report11:53 AM
Betting Odds, Prediction for Bengals vs. Bucs
NBC Sports 1:11 PM
Griffin addresses media, says he's here to help the team win
Bleacher Report 2:19 PM
Robert Griffin III Comments on Being Benched by Redskins HC Jay Gruden