Driver pleads in crash that killed Westfield students

There are 20 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Apr 9, 2007, titled Driver pleads in crash that killed Westfield students. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Nicholas A. Gaunt, the driver in a 2004 Gary crash that killed two Westfield High School classmates, has pleaded guilty to two counts of causing serious bodily injury while intoxicated.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

sadd

AOL

#105 May 13, 2007
you are right, his choice, his punishment, accept it and pay the dues for the crime, then and only then, maybe he will see what he did to those families and all their friends..maybe......
jotruck

Rushsylvania, OH

#106 May 13, 2007
our nation has made a mocory of the justice system. I believe people make bad choices.. but none the less, everyone must become responsible for themselves sometime in their livf. This lesson need to start at a very early age.. is was called years ago.. "cause and effect"
law abiding

AOL

#107 May 17, 2007
the purpose of having laws is to learn to live with them, respect them, and abide by them, or we would be a society of criminals living in contempt.
Laws have to be followed, it's not up to anyone but the STATE to Prosecute this fool. He should NOT be on the road, he killed two people he closed the door on his own fate. Then, to re-offend....fool...to party, or not to party...killed two people, maybe he should start thinking...if he can.
My question is, what has he done to help the families of the two kids he killed? Has he talked with them, has he begged their forgiveness, has he made it clear to them that he is so sorry? Just wondering....If he has, then maybe he is beginning to realize just what he's done to them...if he hasn't, lock the door and throwaway the key.
not passing judgement

New Palestine, IN

#108 May 17, 2007
From what I understand of this case is that all of them were drinking. So had this Nick kid not have driven, it would have been someone else (who was obviously drunk) and could just have easily gotten in the wreck and killed others. So it was not like there was another option for a sober individual to drive.
But since it was Nick who decided to drive, he is the one who gets all of the blame. They (meaning all 4 kids)should have made a conscious, collective decision to wait and drive until one or more of them had sobered up. But that is all in the past.
lets stop the torturing, harrassment of this kid, and hope he can find help where he best needs it.
law abiding

AOL

#109 May 18, 2007
I am sure the families would feel diferrently...and you are sure that ALL of them were drinking? What about the trip, you are sure that ALL of them wanted to go? Sure?
enough

Ocala, FL

#110 May 20, 2007
Speed was the biggest contributing factor. He was driving at a very high rate of speed trying to get over to exit making a quick lane change on unfamiliar road.
He will only find solace when he tells himself the truth.
jotruck

Rushsylvania, OH

#111 May 20, 2007
law abiding wrote:
I am sure the families would feel diferrently...and you are sure that ALL of them were drinking? What about the trip, you are sure that ALL of them wanted to go? Sure?
I think at their age.. and in the age of technology.. if any one of them did not want to go... they could have said NO.. not gotten into the car,,, and called from a cell phone.. don't almpst all teens carry them now?? i'm sure there were choices to be made.. and they ALL made a bad choice.. not just the driver..
law abiding

AOL

#113 May 20, 2007
Amen to that. When will justice be served?
Also, to the post above. You've not heard of peer pressure.....it can make kids do things they know they shouldn't.....ever heard of it?
Doesn't excuse anything...I'm jus tsaying.
Anyway, the real issue at hand here is a drunk, loose on society, for as the person said above, almost 3 years now. Hope he's enjoyed himself
facts

AOL

#114 May 21, 2007
The facts are that this young man was drunk, his impaired state .18 and the fact that his front seat passenger Laura Wilcox was also drunk .11, pulled on his arm, contributing to the loss of control. She has since not faced charges in the wreck, but has gone on to have her own soap opera being charged with the rape of a 15 year old.
Maybe if they had both been held accountable and accepted their own roles in the deaths of the other two children, they would have taken their own lives a little more seriously. Instead, they have been cottled into this "reality" that they can do no wrong and will "suffer no consequences" for their actions.
All I can say is that the courts better wake up and look at the true FACTS involved and make and EDUCATED ruling on BOTH accounts.
just thinking

AOL

#116 May 28, 2007
hey, has this kid done anything to help the families of the kids he killed? An apology letter, a phone call, showing them, by any means, that he has been changed? Just wondering......
Of for that matter, the girl who was almost as drunk and pulled on his arm...Laura Wilcox..has she done anything to help the families to heal? Done anything? Again....just wondering...
Angry Alumni

Indianapolis, IN

#117 Jun 18, 2007
Westfield person wrote:
Murderer..
obviously hasnt learned a damn thing.
The passenger in the car is just as guilty, if not actually at fault, for the accident occuring. Yet she still walked, free because she changed her original story to save her own butt. Laura Wilcox caused the crash by pulling on Nick's arm. Nick Should be in jail, but so should she.
Another Alumni

AOL

#118 Jun 22, 2007
YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!
Another Alumni

AOL

#119 Jun 23, 2007
Motherof4 wrote:
Wow look at you all judge! Lets dig out the skeletons in your closets and see what we find. When you look around this world what do you see, a lot of tradgedy and heartbreak. Why are you trying to make more? Yes he took something that can not be given back, and for that I know he is sorry and im sure he pays for everyday, not just now but for the rest of his life. People make mistakes. And I hate to break it to all of you but ALL four kids made mistakes that night. As fate would have it it cost two of them their lives. Why are you all discussing the fact that he still drinks? Im sure all of you have had a bad stressful day and had a drink or two or more. Not to mention more than the majority of you have had at least one drink and gotten behind the wheel of a car. You just havent had anything bad happen yet so you can excuse it. This kids bad stressful day will never end. You should be shouting for counsling for him not death and major prosecution. Yes he should have a punishment, yes he should be learning from this, but it is not anyone of our calls to say what he has and has not learned from this tragic event, and people I hate to break it to you making him solely responsible for all four of their mistakes isnt going to bring the two who died back and honestly isnt going to make your pain and heartache go away. Yes he made a plea agreement but guess what he wasnt the only one who had to sign it to make it complete. Thats why its called a "plea aggreement". Obviously there is more than one person who saw that it was a suitable punishment or his life would still be in limbo, as it has been. And ah yes I do know that two kids dont have the option of their lives being in limbo and to continue to or not to make any more mistakes, but guess what people nothing is going to change anyone of those four kids decisions that night. The fact is punishments never seem fair for mistakes we make, and guess what this time it really sucked. I just hope that all of you can realize that hate isnt going to get you anywhere or accomplish anything for you in this regard. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and this is mine, sorry if I offend you with it but at some point the realization needs to be made that at any given time no matter how hard we try, teach, preach, and discipline our kids one day it just might be one of our own that we are discussing on here. Teens make decisions for all kinds of reasons some of which we may never understand, and a lot of which we as parents will NEVER have any control over whether we like it or not. I am sorry for the families that lost their children, it is something that is irreplaceable and heartbreaking. Let the boy serve his time that was "Agreed" upon and then do what he has to do to try and make his life what it can be from there. I hope that none of you ever have to endure anything remotely close to what any one of the four sets of parents have had to endure, but remember life isnt over yet so dont speak too harshly until you get all of your kids grown and out of the house. Then guess what you still may never know all your childrens secrets.
I can't understand the craziness of your comments....especially the part about why are we all discussing the fact that he still drinks. You are a FOOL....the legal age is 21 and he isn't there yet. HE is 20 and that still constitues drinking underage, which means and I hope you can follow this....HE IS STILL DRINKING UNDERAGE which is a punishable offence. Killed two people while drunk, re-offended),(5 days before his original plea agreement, while drunk on 5 counts...and is STILL drinking. What part of underage drinking and the law do you not understand????
stop

Falls Church, VA

#120 Jun 27, 2007
What the hell are you people doing? No one knows what anyone involved is feeling except those that are going through it, and there's no way they can explain it! getting on a forum and pointing fingers is not right! we are not supposed to judge, no matter what- regardless of how much we know the facts. so stop fighting, just stop! yes he is doing illegal things but ultimately, ony he can fix himself so just shut the fuck up
justamom

AOL

#121 Aug 15, 2007
just thinking wrote:
hey, has this kid done anything to help the families of the kids he killed? An apology letter, a phone call, showing them, by any means, that he has been changed? Just wondering......
Of for that matter, the girl who was almost as drunk and pulled on his arm...Laura Wilcox..has she done anything to help the families to heal? Done anything? Again....just wondering...
Yes to Travis's family only, nothing to Kristin's family.
in response

AOL

#123 Aug 22, 2007
zip wrote:
I am not defending nick in any way, but realize that all four kids chose to drink so either of them could have been in the drivers seat but it ended up being Nick. Kristen and Travis could have survived if they had wore their seatbelt. Again I am not defending him, but he is not the only one responsible for the results of what happened. I do agree that this is a light sentence. But you have to know the facts not just by reading what the newspapers or news channel says but the whole story of this accident , what he is going through, and what his life was like growning up...Everyone who knows nick even my self are trying to help him, talk to him, and be there for him...he is very messed up for what happened and he needs help and thats what we all are trying to do that knows him. So I would just like you all to think and know the facts before saying whats on your mind..I know every one has a right to freedom of speech which is okay but it just makes me mad that some of you don't have a clue or even know the real story. There are still lies ,rumors and gossip going around and people believe what everyone says or hears theses lies ,rumors and gossip which they pass on to there friends and etc.
Also nick isn't the only kid out in this world that killed two people..there are other kids who drink and drive and don't think that will happen to them. Parents need to step up and act like a parent and do something about this. Instead of parents letting it go and letting the kids do whatever they want with drinking.
Oh, I agree, parents need to step up and be parents. Where was his mom and his mom's 5, 6., or was it her 7th "boyfriend". They were in the house while HER son was drinking. How responsible is that. Someone should get her help. She obviously needs some backbone.
Oh, yeah, feel sorry for the poor little boy. There are so many people in history that have been beaten abused sold into slavery, horrible things have happened to and yet they have managed to get their lives back on track. This kid has learned NOTHING. He is still the irresponsible, disrespectful, underage drinker he was before the wreck. You tell me.....have you helped. I think NOT.
in response

AOL

#124 Aug 22, 2007
not passing judgement wrote:
From what I understand of this case is that all of them were drinking. So had this Nick kid not have driven, it would have been someone else (who was obviously drunk) and could just have easily gotten in the wreck and killed others. So it was not like there was another option for a sober individual to drive.
But since it was Nick who decided to drive, he is the one who gets all of the blame. They (meaning all 4 kids)should have made a conscious, collective decision to wait and drive until one or more of them had sobered up. But that is all in the past.
lets stop the torturing, harrassment of this kid, and hope he can find help where he best needs it.
You tell me one place you saw Kristin's name as being drunk. Just one. You all assume so much. You know nothing.
Brad Messamore

United States

#125 Aug 28, 2007
I knew Kristin from the library and worked with Sharon at the school. This is such a bad situation all the way around. Justice has not been served in this case as no self-control has been learned. I still grieve when I think of the Saturday morning I learned of the accident. Rest eternal grant them O Lord; let light perpetual shine upon them.
sMR

AOL

#126 Sep 2, 2007
Brad Messamore wrote:
I knew Kristin from the library and worked with Sharon at the school. This is such a bad situation all the way around. Justice has not been served in this case as no self-control has been learned. I still grieve when I think of the Saturday morning I learned of the accident. Rest eternal grant them O Lord; let light perpetual shine upon them.
bRAD, tHANK YOU
Look to the sky

Lakeland, FL

#127 Sep 3, 2007
There is never a day without thoughts of that morning. The roller coaster of emotion is far from the end.
There isn't peace knowing Nick could go to jail. It won't bring back Kristin and Travis, but there has to be a punishment that will convey to him what his actions have done.
He will someday have to stand in front of the one judge that matters, but for now someone else will have to administer his punishment.
I have hated him, felt sorry for him, been let down by him, and feel numb towards him.
My hope is that something that comes from this circumstance that keeps Kristin and Travis's memory alive and still warns others to always think of how a simple bad choice can be devastating.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
See, Indiana still consider a very racist state... (Nov '07) 1 hr pearlofagirl 971
Carb Day IMS 4 hr Back Home Again 1
Gary Beeler 4 hr rot mouth 7
Review: Uptown Nail Salon 9 hr dmann 1
Police Office Behaviours (Sep '14) Sat Yosie 2
Help me Unionize Smc Corporation, Noblesville,... (Aug '14) Sat Cock n Balls 10
jews Sat pearlofagirl 3
More from around the web

Westfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]