Driver pleads in crash that killed We...

Driver pleads in crash that killed Westfield students

There are 123 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Apr 9, 2007, titled Driver pleads in crash that killed Westfield students. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Nicholas A. Gaunt, the driver in a 2004 Gary crash that killed two Westfield High School classmates, has pleaded guilty to two counts of causing serious bodily injury while intoxicated.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Hoosier in NY

United States

#24 Apr 9, 2007
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.” Frank Zappa
Deadeye

Burnsville, MN

#25 Apr 9, 2007
He sounds like a dumb kid who has a track record of screwing up. There are plenty who did likewise and were lucky enough to have not crashed their cars, killed their friends, or gotten apprehended with a stop sign.
Maybe he will straighten out now. Or get luckier.
Uhhh

Cincinnati, OH

#26 Apr 9, 2007
hero4cheer wrote:
<quoted text>
an alcoholic,that's what kind of person.
An EGOTISTICAL alcoholic. My father was an alcoholic, so he never owned a car and never drove. He had sense enough to know that he just might think he was capable of driving when he wasn't.
Jess Tice

Fort Wayne, IN

#27 Apr 9, 2007
What a useles piece of crap this punk is. I guess we will be seeing him on numerous arrest report for the rest of his uselss life.
DD HATER

Fort Wayne, IN

#28 Apr 9, 2007
18 months for MURDER!!! We need to change the laws. People who drink & drive are some of the most horrible people on earth! I hope that kid gets what he deserves in jail! SHAME ON EVERYONE WHO DRINKS & DRIVES!!
again

Indianapolis, IN

#29 Apr 9, 2007
indyman wrote:
you all are ready to hang this kid. I am not defending him in any way, but please realize that the two who died chose to ride with him and were not wearing their seatbelts. The two in the front seat were and survived. Again I am not defending him, but he is not the only one responsible for the results of what happened. I do agree that this is a light sentence but you have to keep all facts in mind before condemning someone
when you are the driver you are responsible for everyone in your vehicle. period. that also means you are responsible for making sure they are belted securely.
Interesting

Delaware, OH

#30 Apr 9, 2007
With the wheels of justice grinding to a crawl, the follow up actions did not have any additional ramifications. Looks like one year passed after this individual killed two people, and his next run in with the law. A shame something couldn't have been done, that way his repepitive disregard for society and the law would have caught up with him. A shame this ended up the way it did, but hopefully there will be "mitigating" circumstances that can add some more years to his visit to an actual state prison.

paisleyposey

“END THE FED!”

Since: Feb 07

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!!

#31 Apr 9, 2007
18 months for two young lives. That's no deterrent, as evidenced by his own example. Pathetic. I wonder how the families feel about this?
justamom

AOL

#32 Apr 9, 2007
Shawn wrote:
I agree with the justice here a long cruel sentence for a car accident is not going to bring anyone back to life. Any jail time for a kid like this is no joke.
Unfortunately, that is exactly what he needs, time in prison to think about what he has done, time for the families to heal and time for him to heal. Prison is no joke, but it is what you make of it, just like life out here.
f-member

Delaware, OH

#33 Apr 9, 2007
indyman wrote:
you all are ready to hang this kid. I am not defending him in any way, but please realize that the two who died chose to ride with him and were not wearing their seatbelts. The two in the front seat were and survived. Again I am not defending him, but he is not the only one responsible for the results of what happened. I do agree that this is a light sentence but you have to keep all facts in mind before condemning someone
you know I was mad too at first but I know the kid involved and until you know the whole story and what he is dealing with YOU SHOULDN'T CAST STONES!!!!
f-member

Delaware, OH

#34 Apr 9, 2007
Jess Tice wrote:
What a useles piece of crap this punk is. I guess we will be seeing him on numerous arrest report for the rest of his uselss life.
HE IS NOT A WORTHLESS PIECE OF CRAP!!@!
maui

Indianapolis, IN

#35 Apr 9, 2007
EastLateCop wrote:
Another crappy plea offered by a prosecutor to get a conviction. 18 months in community corrections and 18 months probation for killing two people? What a joke.
i agree 18 months should be life with no parole
Joey Tharp

Erlanger, KY

#36 Apr 9, 2007
Yea this will really get high school kids to stop drinking and driving, this is a joke.
Former Westfield Student

West Lafayette, IN

#37 Apr 9, 2007
Calm Down People Good Lord. I went to school with all three of these kids and was pretty good friends with them. Nick is a different person from the accident but he screwed up in Muncie but once again has gotten back on track. All 4 of the people were drunk that night in the car, they sadly were all at fault.
Calm Down ---No Way

Cincinnati, OH

#38 Apr 10, 2007
Calm down???Are you serious??? Obviously, you weren't "pretty good friends" with Travis or Kristin if you are "calm" about their lives being over and their families and true friends NEVER being able to see them again on this earth.Go spend some time with Sharon, Jeff and Jeremey Rice or Fritz, Lisa, Alexis or Nick Woerner and then "calm down" DRIVERS are RESPONSIBLE and LIABLE...PERIOD. Nick Gaunt should WANT to accept responsiblity for KILLING (not causing bodily injury) for two people. He should WANT to serve his punishment. Then, maybe he could start to change. I just pray Nick can get the help he needs so he can stop abusing alcohol and not hurt himself or anyone else. Listen to Brandon's story on [email protected] if you want to hear about true accountability.
get a life

Indianapolis, IN

#39 Apr 10, 2007
Heather wrote:
I see his parents did a great job teaching him how to be a decent human.
why dont you all get a life and not sit on here bashing someone you know nothing about?

paisleyposey

“END THE FED!”

Since: Feb 07

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!!

#40 Apr 10, 2007
f-member wrote:
<quoted text>you know I was mad too at first but I know the kid involved and until you know the whole story and what he is dealing with YOU SHOULDN'T CAST STONES!!!!
Oh, yes, he's 'dealing' with hard times, Poor baby. Ya, dealing with it running around intoxicated again, breaking the law and putting more folks at risk. I've got a boulder right here for his deadly A$$. His need to 'work things out' and 'get back on track' does NOT supersede the RIGHT to life of the rest of us! Poor darling Nicky! I hope the judge sees the continuing danger at his NEXT sentencing hearing and protects the innocents for once.
Lost too many

Dayton, OH

#41 Apr 10, 2007
Yes all four of the teens bear a responsibility - it was a tragic situation that is too often repeated without such severe consequences. However, the facts remain that Nick is the one who purchased the alcohol, he is the one who was driving the car and instead of showing remorse and somehow trying to use this tragedy as a positive influence for himself and other teens, he's gotten into more trouble and shown even more disregard for other people, their property and the laws we live by. Sorry if I can't defend him or feel sorry for him. The fact the our legal system takes the easy way out to get a conviction at any cost is a sad comment on our society. The fact that the victim's advocate from Lake County talks to the media before talking to the actual victims she is supposed to be advocating for is an even sadder comment. What kind of society do we live in where attorneys and judges are too busy to show compassion in the form of simple communications with people going through unbearable grief in cases like this all across our state? Nick should have had his license taken away when this happened instead of being allowed to go on with his life as usual. He should serve more than 18 months for causing the death of two people - period.
f-member

Delaware, OH

#42 Apr 10, 2007
Heather wrote:
I see his parents did a great job teaching him how to be a decent human.
Unless you know them/him I suggest that you keep your comments to your self!!@!
f-member

Delaware, OH

#43 Apr 10, 2007
Maybe you should go back to your friends of white river church!!!*****

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Neo-Nazi who attended Charlottesville Neo-Nazi ... 5 min nono 4
Dick Racist Gregory Dead 16 min nono 4
News Indiana State Fair asks vendors to drop Confede... 21 min nono 3
Prostitutes (Jun '15) 22 min Concerned 5
Gorka’s Fate ‘Extremely Uncertain’ as Boss Bann... 5 hr TrumpedAntifa 2
Indiana Fever 5 hr chicagos 3
Thank God Hillary didn't win! 5 hr TrumpedDeepState 2

Westfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance