Driver pleads in crash that killed Westfield students

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Nicholas A. Gaunt, the driver in a 2004 Gary crash that killed two Westfield High School classmates, has pleaded guilty to two counts of causing serious bodily injury while intoxicated.
Comments
1 - 20 of 123 Comments Last updated Jul 20, 2012
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
EastLateCop

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

Another crappy plea offered by a prosecutor to get a conviction. 18 months in community corrections and 18 months probation for killing two people? What a joke.

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

18 months in a community correction center for killing two teenagers? Sad...I truly doubt this really causes much fear for other teenagers that may be out drinking and driving.

18 months for two kids, 9 months for each life. The same amount of time it took to bring them into this world he will serve for ending each individuals life.

Truly an unfair sentence.
Amazing

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

After killing 2 of his friends he is still out drinking and doing stupid stuff with fake IDs. Doesn't look like anything will straighten him out.
Westfield person

West Lafayette, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

Murderer..

obviously hasnt learned a damn thing.
Westfield Parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

For all of the kids out there that want to drink and drive...think again, please.

http://www.kristinmarierice.com/

www.traviswoerner.com
Fed up parent

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

I agree with cursing his sperm!
michelle st augustine fla

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

revoke his plea agreement and send him away for all 16 years, jerk
Jane of the West

Libby, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

Beginning to wonder, is that truly what kids go to college for??? Used to be a joke, but not any more. If they have no virtues or higher standards to live by, they pick the gross things to do. Drinking and Drugs and parties. And now providing buses to help them drink more and feel justified!! Hmmmm
again

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

we have spoken to our students in driver education many times about this incident that took place in '04. we always stress the consequences in every shape and form and this damn kid only gets this type of punishment for killing two of his passengers? what a damn joke. i tell you. this state is so damn ass backwards!!! he should have been sentenced to a more severe punishment. our country is too damn easy on these type of cases. i wish they would go to what other countries do, such as the 1st offense is the last, revoke the license, life in jail, etc. but no our government wants to protect those that do something as idiotic as this. i still feel terrible for those students and their families who lost a loved one. this is an rediculous outcome. i might as well say hey, if you do this, indiana is just gonna slap you on the wrist.
Momma Bear

Jeffersonville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

Where is justice? Has this young man learned a lesson or how to play the system? My heart goes out the the families of the two young people who lost their lives. They will grieve for the rest of their lives....while the driver continues to party. How many more will he kill in the course of his life because we as a society will not say NO THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE? Will my child or yours be next?
J Patrick

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

What kind of person can continue such irresponsible behavior after causing the deaths of two friends? How is justice served by allowing him to plead to a lesser charge and receive such a light sentence? He clearly has not learned from his mistakes and taken his life in a new direction. If I were a parents of one of those killed, I would be furious!!
indyman

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

you all are ready to hang this kid. I am not defending him in any way, but please realize that the two who died chose to ride with him and were not wearing their seatbelts. The two in the front seat were and survived. Again I am not defending him, but he is not the only one responsible for the results of what happened. I do agree that this is a light sentence but you have to keep all facts in mind before condemning someone
Heather

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

I see his parents did a great job teaching him how to be a decent human.
Jon

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

He should have gotten 30 days in the electric chair.
Dennis Buskirk

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

How did this so called "you noticed I said so call" PROSECUTOR ever get elected in the first place. Nine months for taking to kids lives is a joke. I wonder what it would have been if one of his kids had been in that wreck instead?
More Time This Time

Sellersburg, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

Westfield Parent wrote:
For all of the kids out there that want to drink and drive...think again, please.
http://www.kristinmarierice.com/
www.traviswoerner.com
Thanks for sharing. Keep up your fine work.

“Thank you, Captain Obvious!”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

So he kills two people but pleas to causing bodily harm.
brilliant.
Hey, everybody, be sure to order one drink for the road as you raise your glasses in memory of the two kids who DIED.

“Hardcore Libertarian”

Since: Dec 06

Aurora, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

I agree with the justice here a long cruel sentence for a car accident is not going to bring anyone back to life. Any jail time for a kid like this is no joke.
Jon

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

He should recieve 30 days in the electric chair.
hero4cheer

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

J Patrick wrote:
What kind of person can continue such irresponsible behavior after causing the deaths of two friends? How is justice served by allowing him to plead to a lesser charge and receive such a light sentence? He clearly has not learned from his mistakes and taken his life in a new direction. If I were a parents of one of those killed, I would be furious!!
an alcoholic,that's what kind of person.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Westfield Discussions

Search the Westfield Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
any black chicks wanna have sex? 2 hr hungwhiteboy 1
NRA Lawyer is a Convicted Murderer 15 hr W LaPierre 3
Officer Renn isn't dead Mon Ignorance 5
Franklin teen improving after near drowning in ... Mon Vicky Umbarger 1
Black and Tired Mon Ole John 12
Indianapolis man faces murder charge in shootin... Mon Ole John 10
Stop China! - don't buy Chinese made products (Apr '09) Sun Mandy 91
•••
•••