Utility advisor

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

What is the difference between an entitlement and a handout? I see both terms used frequently and it seems as though people are confused on which is which. I thought they were all handouts but others seem to think differently.
AllAmerican

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Utility advisor wrote:
What is the difference between an entitlement and a handout? I see both terms used frequently and it seems as though people are confused on which is which. I thought they were all handouts but others seem to think differently.
I don't speak for everybody, but I see an entitlement as something truly needed or legitimate. True entitlements are good, and I have no issue with it. However, when people feel "entitled" to a handout that is needed, or wanted because of a lifetime of lacking ambition, and/or poor choices, it is a different story. Unfortunately, with all of the abuse of government programs, the two are hardly discernible. For example, to me, if someone receives assistance for their groceries, but they use their own money for cat, or dog food, or a cable bill, then a legitimate entitlement just became a handout.
what

Terre Haute, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

you are only entitled to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness
Jim

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

An entitlement is a guarantee of access to benefits based on established rights or by legislation. A handout is something given freely or distributed freely. Those that have lobbied for less government spending use the two terms interchangeably, thereby attaching a pejorative connotation to the term "entitlement". Social Security and Medicare have been funded by both individual withholdings and employer taxes, consequently the notion that the benfits are given "freely" is suspect. In the cases of Medicaid, AFDC and food stamps, there has been no direct withholding tied to the benefits. They are means tested and funded from general tax revenues and are transfer payments: governmental redistributions of income.
AllAmerican

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Jim wrote:
An entitlement is a guarantee of access to benefits based on established rights or by legislation. A handout is something given freely or distributed freely. Those that have lobbied for less government spending use the two terms interchangeably, thereby attaching a pejorative connotation to the term "entitlement". Social Security and Medicare have been funded by both individual withholdings and employer taxes, consequently the notion that the benfits are given "freely" is suspect. In the cases of Medicaid, AFDC and food stamps, there has been no direct withholding tied to the benefits. They are means tested and funded from general tax revenues and are transfer payments: governmental redistributions of income.
Well said.
Carl

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

AllAmerican wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said.
Have you ever recieved a handout?
Betty

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Unfortunately, not once, ever. Have you, Carl?
Carl wrote:
<quoted text> Have you ever recieved a handout?
Carl

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Betty wrote:
Unfortunately, not once, ever. Have you, Carl?<quoted text>
Yes I have. I won't lie like you do. I would bet you any amount of money that you have to. Just name the amount you want to bet.

Since: Aug 12

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Utility advisor wrote:
What is the difference between an entitlement and a handout?
An entitlement is getting a return on investment. If one works forty hours for a predetermined salary then that person is entitled to receive a paycheck. The same can be said for Social Security. Part of the employee's salary is set aside during the working years with the understanding that a benefit will be returned upon retirement.

Getting a handout is like being on the receiving end of a charitable contribution. Welfare, food stamps, and Section 8 housing are all examples of handouts.
AllAmerican

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Carl wrote:
<quoted text> Have you ever recieved a handout?
No.
Carl

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

AllAmerican wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
LOL!! I don't believe you.
AllAmerican

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Carl wrote:
<quoted text> LOL!! I don't believe you.
Of course you don't. Why would you? In your world, everyone gets help from the government. It's the American Dream!
Carl

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

AllAmerican wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you don't. Why would you?
Cause you're not a good liar. And to say you never recieved a handout just tells me you are FOS! LOL!
lol

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

AllAmerican wrote:
<quoted text>Of course you don't. Why would you? In your world, everyone gets help from the government. It's the American Dream!
Now this is the truth
AllAmerican

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Carl wrote:
<quoted text> Cause you're not a good liar. And to say you never recieved a handout just tells me you are FOS! LOL!
Well then Mr. Wizard, should I expect you to be able to tell all of us what kind of handout I have received?

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

At one time in my life I was just making enough money to get by on. Didn't even have the money for a car. My parents were helping me out. Thank God for them. So I applied and receive food stamps. That lasted on month because I felt that it was to much trouble to do so. Never reapplied. At the time it was $100 a month. I eat pretty good back then for $100.
Carl wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I have. I won't lie like you do. I would bet you any amount of money that you have to. Just name the amount you want to bet.
Mr Wizard

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

AllAmerican wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then Mr. Wizard, should I expect you to be able to tell all of us what kind of handout I have received?
It does not take a Wizard to know you are lying about not getting any handouts.
AllAmerican

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Mr Wizard wrote:
<quoted text> It does not take a Wizard to know you are lying about not getting any handouts.
Carl, you are a clown! You don't know anything about me. To you, I am a selfish, racist conservative, but you are wrong. I served multiple tours in 3 combat zones, and had 27 years of service to this country. I have never even applied for any VA benefits. Nobody owes me anything, and nobody has the responsibility to provide anything for me, or my family. I don't care what you receive, or whether it is justified, or not. You are just one of many. However, I have no problem sleeping at night.
Carl

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

DavidM wrote:
At one time in my life I was just making enough money to get by on. Didn't even have the money for a car. My parents were helping me out. Thank God for them. So I applied and receive food stamps. That lasted on month because I felt that it was to much trouble to do so. Never reapplied. At the time it was $100 a month. I eat pretty good back then for $100.
<quoted text>
Thanks for your honesty. But not all handouts come in the form of government help. But everyone gets a handout from the government in some form or another. I could tell you I have never gotten handouts from the government in the form of welfare. But like you if I needed it I would not hesitate to apply for it. I have gotten handouts from family, Church, and one of my places of employment. I have tried to pay those places back but they would not take it back. The church I believe said it best when I tried to pay them back the money they gave me. The pastor said to just pass it on to someone else in NEED. I have and continue to do so today and tell those the same thing the Pastor told me when they try to pay it back. Pass it on to someone else in NEED. So AllAmerican I know for a fact you have recieved a handout in some form or another.
Carl

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

AllAmerican wrote:
<quoted text>
Carl, you are a clown! You don't know anything about me. To you, I am a selfish, racist conservative, but you are wrong. I served multiple tours in 3 combat zones, and had 27 years of service to this country. I have never even applied for any VA benefits. Nobody owes me anything, and nobody has the responsibility to provide anything for me, or my family. I don't care what you receive, or whether it is justified, or not. You are just one of many. However, I have no problem sleeping at night.
I really don't care about your service. I really don't believe you. Most vets I know don't tout it like you do. Actually if you don't ask them you would never know they served. Why??? Because I come to find out they never served to begin with.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Westfield Discussions

Search the Westfield Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
any black chicks wanna have sex? 3 hr hungwhiteboy 1
NRA Lawyer is a Convicted Murderer 17 hr W LaPierre 3
Officer Renn isn't dead Mon Ignorance 5
Franklin teen improving after near drowning in ... Mon Vicky Umbarger 1
Black and Tired Mon Ole John 12
Indianapolis man faces murder charge in shootin... Mon Ole John 10
Stop China! - don't buy Chinese made products (Apr '09) Sun Mandy 91
•••
•••