Canal Winchester, Westerville school ...

Canal Winchester, Westerville school levies to be on November ballot | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 79 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 26, 2011, titled Canal Winchester, Westerville school levies to be on November ballot | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Two Franklin County school districts took steps last night to place tax requests before voters this fall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
GlitterSucks

Columbus, OH

#1 Jul 26, 2011
Income tax hikes, school levies. An interesting story would be the cities and school districts that aren't asking for more money.
Millionaire

Columbus, OH

#2 Jul 26, 2011
Pass the levy so the fat, lazy teachers can get 7% raises and keep their premium benefits.

It's for the kids?
doodman

Columbus, OH

#3 Jul 26, 2011
With all the levies that have already passed in the past few years, I'd like to see some new computers and equipment in schools next time I go to the school for a student/teacher conference.
Ben Dover

Seymour, IL

#4 Jul 26, 2011
When are these boards going to get it that we don't have any more money to give them? Never, I guess. Politicians on school boards are crooks cheats and liars, all of 'em.
Upnorth

United States

#5 Jul 26, 2011
While both Canal Winchester and Westerville are asking for your money, remember that their superintendents are getting car allowances to essentially provide free transportation for them to watch our children pay-to-play sports.

Find our what a "pick-up of the pick-up" is in their contract and you will see the greed starts at the top.

Ask if the Supe gets an additional annuity payment from the school system to pad the already extravegent retirement. Ask who pays the employee portion of retirement (not the Supe). So, while you pay social security - these Supes are paying nothing for a retirement which will give them $100,000+ per year (while your social security will be capped at $28,000).

School systems are treating us unfairly and they are cruel. Vote no.

VOTE NO
Spooey

Westlake, OH

#6 Jul 26, 2011
Let the battle to defeat Westerville begin. The rejection of the levy/tax will send the message that internal money saving ideas should come first.
Westerville resident

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#7 Jul 26, 2011
I want to know how much the administrators are giving, I have a hard time paying more taxes so they can continue to get 100% of there healthcare and 100% of there retirement funded. If the school district is in such financial trouble, why did they give the superintendent a 30,000 dollar a year raise?? I did not agree with the teachers pay raises but the teachers are not the only ones who should be taking cuts, the administrators have is alot better than any of us, including the teachers.
watcher

Westerville, OH

#8 Jul 26, 2011
Hot dog, more tax levies on the ballot. Gotta love it. Dont have enough money just do a levy. Wish that was all I had to do to get more money.

Mkes it seem undesirable to own a home, all they do is tax the homeowner, everytime you turn around.
Lillian

Columbus, OH

#9 Jul 26, 2011
There are plenty of rich people who can easily afford more taxes. We need to hire more counselors to teach male children that the male paradigm of solving conflict through fist fights must be replaced with femocentric negotiating process guided by a properly trained social worker. Look at the budget fiasco - men acting like that is ruining America and we need to invest in a new liberal femocentric model.
Upnorth

United States

#10 Jul 26, 2011
watcher wrote:
Hot dog, more tax levies on the ballot. Gotta love it. Dont have enough money just do a levy. Wish that was all I had to do to get more money.
Mkes it seem undesirable to own a home, all they do is tax the homeowner, everytime you turn around.
SHHHHHHHHHH. They'll go for an INCOME tax if they think you are fed up with your real estate tax - then you will have BOTH, of which they will then try to raise both.

Their greed and power and control knows no bounds. Starve the beast, its the only thing that works.

Vote no
Phil

Columbus, OH

#11 Jul 26, 2011
13.38 mills for CW schools eh?? They don't want much now do they? I've seen greed before but this is gluttonish.
nana

Columbus, OH

#12 Jul 26, 2011
Millionaire wrote:
Pass the levy so the fat, lazy teachers can get 7% raises and keep their premium benefits.
It's for the kids?
Did you not have good teachers when you were in school or were they all fat and lazy. yes there are teachers that should not be teaching. Yes they need to be weeded out. But until then it is for the kids. Remember there could be a child that will find a cure for breast cancer, or maybe the first President of the United States that truly cares about the American people. Think about it.
bring it down

Columbus, OH

#13 Jul 26, 2011
Hey let's get CW to merge with BC, Groveport, or City of Columbus. That is where the people of CW want the schools to go. That way they don't have to worry all the time about tax levies seen how they don't care about their schools.

Better yet let the state take over then complain and see how they like it. As you vote down the levies your values go down. Yea I know there is not value now in the market. But wait till it does recover and find out how low your value is then cause no one wants to support their schools.

Idiots! And no I am not a teacher
Bottom line

Willard, OH

#14 Jul 26, 2011
Bottom line....thank our governor for the proposed increase in local taxes. He can claim all he wants "I won't raise taxes"... But is will. Why can't everyone see all he did was shift the burden locally? When his budget took millions of local business tax dollars and shifted it from local schools to the state TO BE REDISTRIBUTED, he put these school districts in this place. Of course tightening of the belt needs to occur, however, taking my local dollars its not ok.
concerned1

Columbus, OH

#15 Jul 26, 2011
Freekin' unbelievable. I live in Westerville and will be voting NO on all tax levies. The city and the schools need to learn to function within their existing budgets. The taxpayers simply cannot afford to pay more. Taxpayers need to stand up and say NO to these bureaucrats and tell them to operate efficiently with the money they already have. Maybe when the rest of us start getting raises again we'll reconsider -- but the answer is NO this fall on all tax levies. And by the way, I also will be voting NO on incumbents who support tax increases.
need real solutions

Reynoldsburg, OH

#16 Jul 26, 2011
Canal Winchester, I have been reading posts of those for and against the levies since I came here ten years ago. People get mean and nasty, they call names if someone disagrees with them. So I will not waste my time posting why I vote as I do. Bottom line;

JUST SAY NO...
Legislation

Dublin, OH

#17 Jul 26, 2011
The budget is to blame. With teacher evaluations every year being called for, it costs money; more money. It's not coming from the state! It can only come from the local money. Since it is a cost increase, that leaves few options. Option 1: Cut back so you have money to spend on necessary things. Places to cut are extra-curriculars (please don't hurt the kids), fewer teachers (most districts are working w/ fewer than ever), cut teacher pay (won't attract the best qualified), etc. Option 2: Ask for more money (try to keep things the way they are whcih won't require meeting after meeting as to what, who, where, and why to cut.)
BoB

Columbus, OH

#18 Jul 26, 2011
Looks like if these pass, I'll never live in Westerville or CW. How many people will move out or forclose because they can't pay their house payment?

The schools are causing the forclosure crisis, not the banks! When peoples house payments go up $50 a month just because a new levy is in place, well for some people that's just too much and there is nothing else to cut out. So they stop paying on their house and we get a depression!
Fed Up

Grove City, OH

#19 Jul 26, 2011
Get rid of the Board and the Administration then they will have loads of cash
Parasite Government

Columbus, OH

#20 Jul 26, 2011
Westerville should use the tools available to them from SB 5 to hold down costs - of course most administrators used to be union members, and their pay and benefits are based upon what the teachers make, so they all scratch each other's backs.

Westerville already has some of the highest property taxes in Delaware County - now they want to tax "earned" income, which is a nice way of trying to bribe old people to raise other people's taxes. It might be time to move further out from Columbus.

I would not recommend moving to Westerville Schools - expensive and your kids have to go to school with gangbangers from the south end of the district.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey Walter, How about that Obamacare? 4 min tranpsosition 143
Liberal Agenda With Marijuana Being Sold as Har... 6 min d pantz 3
FIND LINDA and PAMMY! 18 min Doc 3
News Number of burglaries trio accused of committing... 22 min BIzzyBee II 2
News Four accused of trafficking slave labor at egg ... 23 min BIzzyBee II 2
HAPPY 3rd OF JULY! 27 min BIzzyBee II 1
News Ohio battle over traffic cameras heats up again 30 min BIzzyBee II 3
More from around the web

Westerville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE