Westerville Walmart plan will go befo...

Westerville Walmart plan will go before council | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 140 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Apr 28, 2011, titled Westerville Walmart plan will go before council | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The Westerville Planning Commission decided last night that a proposal to put a Walmart in Westerville Square would be a major modification of the shopping center.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Roxanne

Orient, OH

#126 May 5, 2011
Interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
You are terribly naive. In MANY cases, you can take the [email protected] out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the $c*m. You call me ignorant, and yet, you seem to be the one with your head buried in the sand. And I don't need you schooling me on (questionable) human nature, I know not everyone who comes from 11th Ave., is a potential criminal. But it is an uncontested fact that the crime rate there is sky high, and that the (so called, haha) decent 'people' are not doing JACK to remedy the problem, and that the thug that I knew (Ashleigh M., single mother, who went to Columbus State) certainly should have been among them.
So, how about black people stop bitching about inequality and start becoming truly equal?
The Chinese, whom, you are so eager to support with your potential WalMart, would happily skin you idiots alive to make sofas.
Why do you think there are minimal black citizens in Asian countries??? Because they don't want to put up with the nonsense, AND, they can't stand you. Why drag a bunch of bs loafers into the mix, when they can ENSLAVE their own, desperate, hard working people?
By the way, what made you think I am black?
No Walmart in Westerville

Westerville, OH

#127 May 5, 2011
Walmart is not that cheap to shop at. Any smart shopper can find good deals at QUALITY stores like Krogers or even Macy's. Walmart is the greatest evil to the US economy. We have sold our souls to China and now complain that there aren't any jobs in the USA. Well thank Walmart for shipping or forcing manufacturing companies over seas to compete. For what? A dollar less on crappy sweat pants or Twinkies?

Walmart is a crime magnet and a dirtball magnet. Don't think so? Go to your closest Walmart and look around. Ask yourself would you like your Grandmother to shop there at night? Pretty sure the answer is a solid NO!

I love that the police blotter in Westerville has almost nothing on it other than picking up drunk drivers. If Walmart comes to Westerville that little police blotter will be 4 times the size it is now.

The desire to fill up that empty building will result in more empty buildings when Walmart chases out the wonderful Rouche Hardware and various little shops. Pretty sure the retired folks who pick out candy at Anthony Thomas and eat at the cafeteria will not feel safe to visit their old hangouts.

The traffic in that area is already dicey. Can't imagine how awful that will be. There are several Walmarts close enough for those who want to shop there can go. I for one do not want Walmart in Westerville. I moved to Westerville to avoid crime, traffic and the general chaos that surrounds Walmart. NO WALMART IN WESTERVILLE

Westerville, OH

#128 May 5, 2011
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, you place any store where there used to be an empty field and police runs will go up.
But the arguement that crime at a Walmart is any worse than crime at a Meijer or a Kroger in the same location is just silly.
The above statement is naive. Walmart spends a ton of money covering up that it is a full time crime magnet. Look up the stats.

Walmart also treats its employees like indentured servant only they can never work their way out of servitude.

There are better ways to find deals than selling your soul to save a dime.

No to Walmart in Westerville. Want to go to Walmart then visit one of their other locationsl Keep the shit out of our town.

BTW section 8 housing is not evil. The people who live and reproduce on the pubic dime like feral cats and never ever try to better themselves are evil. I resent paying for lazy people who act like they deserve to live like pets.

Westerville, OH

#129 May 5, 2011
Don't think for one minute a Walmart in Westerville will not become what all Walmarts are: dirty, crime ridden and generally bad for the community. The only difference it you will bring it closer to home if you get your wish.
Sadly

Lancaster, OH

#130 May 5, 2011
No Walmart in Westerville wrote:
Walmart is not that cheap to shop at. Any smart shopper can find good deals at QUALITY stores like Krogers or even Macy's. Walmart is the greatest evil to the US economy. We have sold our souls to China and now complain that there aren't any jobs in the USA. Well thank Walmart for shipping or forcing manufacturing companies over seas to compete. For what? A dollar less on crappy sweat pants or Twinkies?
Walmart is a crime magnet and a dirtball magnet. Don't think so? Go to your closest Walmart and look around. Ask yourself would you like your Grandmother to shop there at night? Pretty sure the answer is a solid NO!
I love that the police blotter in Westerville has almost nothing on it other than picking up drunk drivers. If Walmart comes to Westerville that little police blotter will be 4 times the size it is now.
The desire to fill up that empty building will result in more empty buildings when Walmart chases out the wonderful Rouche Hardware and various little shops. Pretty sure the retired folks who pick out candy at Anthony Thomas and eat at the cafeteria will not feel safe to visit their old hangouts.
The traffic in that area is already dicey. Can't imagine how awful that will be. There are several Walmarts close enough for those who want to shop there can go. I for one do not want Walmart in Westerville. I moved to Westerville to avoid crime, traffic and the general chaos that surrounds Walmart. NO WALMART IN WESTERVILLE
The crime, traffic and chaos followed you.
Halal meat, anyone?
Bill

United States

#131 May 6, 2011
No Walmart in Westerville wrote:
<quoted text>
The above statement is naive. Walmart spends a ton of money covering up that it is a full time crime magnet. Look up the stats.
Walmart also treats its employees like indentured servant only they can never work their way out of servitude.
There are better ways to find deals than selling your soul to save a dime.
No to Walmart in Westerville. Want to go to Walmart then visit one of their other locationsl Keep the **** out of our town.
BTW section 8 housing is not evil. The people who live and reproduce on the pubic dime like feral cats and never ever try to better themselves are evil. I resent paying for lazy people who act like they deserve to live like pets.
Conspiracy theory much?

If Walmart spends all this money covering it up, then the stats shouldn't support your arguement. The stats should say that there is no crime problem whatsoever.

Just admit you have a bias (or is it fear) of the stereotypical Walmart customer.

I tend to think that a Walmart at this location won't draw the "seedy" element you're so afraid of. It's a smaller store, not the superstore, and is designed to serve the people in the community.
No Chinamart

Medina, OH

#132 May 7, 2011
scott wrote:
<quoted text>You find this crap at a lot of companies because of Walmart. They have destroyed manufacturing in this country by getting their product cheaper overseas so they can make more money. In doing this, they can afford to lower prices on the things that ruin their competition. The competition is forced to either do the same (buy crap from China) or close. That's why it's nearly impossible to find things made in America anymore. And by shopping there, you support that practice. Not me pal, I'll die poor buying my groceries at Kroger before I support the company most responsible for the loss of millions of good manufacturing jobs that this country used to provide to people. Walmart loves people like you who don't see how they really operate. You should watch the video called "The High Cost of Low Prices" it's on You Tube. Watch that video then come talk to me.
Scott is absolutely right. Beside the program he referred to, "The High Cost of Low Prices", Frontline did a program a few years back, "Is Walmart Good for America?"

http://video.google.com/videoplay... #

Look what happened to that Thomson plant in Circleville. As far as Chinese produced consumer goods, Walmart was the instigator. And like they related in the show, a job at Walmart is NO replacement for a manufacturing job. Walmart is such a scam, all its workers on government subsidized healthcare. Walmart has cost this country so much.

What's so funny is that those posters who have said check your prices are so right. Do check, Walmart might have those things advertised to draw you in but I find better prices elsewhere for most staples at Walmart. At least Target takes care of their workers- that is one difference between the two.
Jim

Delaware, OH

#133 May 7, 2011
Although if it opens in Westerville it will have a specific time that will be allowed for illicit bad activity, just like them not allowing yard cutting after a particular time in the evening to lower sound levels.
cld

Columbus, OH

#134 May 9, 2011
they should put a target there. nobody would complain (except walmart)
current eyesore

Columbus, OH

#135 Jun 21, 2011
If you build it I will come. Better than that dump of vacant buildings already there. No other businesses will rent the space, so why not walmart.
Just Wondering

Richardson, TX

#136 Jun 22, 2011
Ben Dover wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhhh, that would be electric meters, not gas, and they are only for businesses that request them at this point.
Uhhhhh....that WOULD be gas meters as well as electric meters Ben Dover.....and I am not a business......I did not request them, they just sent a notice and slapped them on!
steve

Heath, OH

#137 Jun 22, 2011
nobody had a problem with Lazurus being there years ago and it was a major store,that area has went to hell in the last 10 years anyway,maybe this is what it needs and as far as uptown stores,lower your prices and you will still have customers
mcaps5

Naperville, IL

#138 Jul 5, 2011
if walmart goes in would that mean extra stream of tax revenue for the city of westerville? then maybe the taxes can lowered so the people in westerville can actually have some extra money to save and pay off bills. it is a crime that my property taxes in 2010 was $4,000 and for 2011 goes to $6400. thanks to everybody that voted to pass every single tax increase that is put on the ballot. maybe walmart can add a few billion into the economy, who knows
the hilt

Columbus, OH

#139 Jul 5, 2011
hope thy build one by our Gov. house
Bored Member

Powell, OH

#140 Jul 5, 2011
I heart Wallyworld!
Jim

Delaware, OH

#141 Jul 5, 2011
My father usually goes to his vacation house up at Catawba to shop at the Wal-Mart up there to do it because he would not be seen shopping in a Wal-mart store in his home town of Westerville. People were happy to get rid of the Buckeye Mart back a while ago. Boy how the city has slowly changed over the years.
Booker T Hollywood

United States

#142 Jul 5, 2011
I likes Walmarts cuz day don' put da Magnum condoms behind da counter like CVS. Dat way, ol' Booker T can use his 5 finga discount to get his muhdick on. knowumsayin? Westerville goin' be more diverse.
Jason

Findlay, OH

#143 Jul 5, 2011
I think it's a great idea. That place needs a shot in the arm of something - it's been vacant for how long? They should just trust the developer because they will do what is in the best interest of the community. Who else is going to build in an abandoned strip plaza in Westerville (as was pointed out, it's not like this is UA). Besides, who are we to keep the folks from Westerville from benefiting from Wal Mart's always low prices? All the NIMBY naysayers just don't want the less well-to-do Westervillians to earn a buck in this tough economy.
Jason

Findlay, OH

#144 Jul 5, 2011
Interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
You are terribly naive. In MANY cases, you can take the [email protected] out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the $c*m. You call me ignorant, and yet, you seem to be the one with your head buried in the sand. And I don't need you schooling me on (questionable) human nature, I know not everyone who comes from 11th Ave., is a potential criminal. But it is an uncontested fact that the crime rate there is sky high, and that the (so called, haha) decent 'people' are not doing JACK to remedy the problem, and that the thug that I knew (Ashleigh M., single mother, who went to Columbus State) certainly should have been among them.
So, how about black people stop bitching about inequality and start becoming truly equal?
The Chinese, whom, you are so eager to support with your potential WalMart, would happily skin you idiots alive to make sofas.
Why do you think there are minimal black citizens in Asian countries??? Because they don't want to put up with the nonsense, AND, they can't stand you. Why drag a bunch of bs loafers into the mix, when they can ENSLAVE their own, desperate, hard working people?
Just let this jackass keep talking. S/he's only digging his own rhetorical grave. All this hate against Asians, Blacks, poor people, ghetto folk etc. Seems a silly criteria to be talking about the amount of pigment in someone's skin having anything to do with building a Wal Mart? Naive. Ignorant. Pathetic.
Sci Fi Dept

Reynoldsburg, OH

#145 Jul 5, 2011
-that thing! that slithering blob coming toward us!
-what is it?
-it's wal*mart!
(caps removed at the insistance of the machine.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Don't trust Google... 19 min UTrashy 47
Hillary for POTUS 2 hr d pants 1
Gasp! Emails.....created crisis 2 hr d pants 26
Trump the Liar 2 hr d pants 230
people concerned about immigration are not racist 3 hr d pants 1
Trump and Putin have ties..... 4 hr d pants 48
Open season on Cops 4 hr d pants 116

Westerville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance