Westerville Walmart plan will go before council | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

The Westerville Planning Commission decided last night that a proposal to put a Walmart in Westerville Square would be a major modification of the shopping center.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of140
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Spooey

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

What a nightmare South State will be after this. Anybody wanting to go North has Cleveland, State or stop sign plagued Otterbein, I'd move out of Westerville if I lived there. Small uptown businesses have been soldout and will probably close.
Merit Pay

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

There goes the neighborhood. Westerville will look like 161 and Morse rd in 10 years. Crying shame.
JoJo

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

Just say NO to wal-mart.
Love My Neighborhood

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

Amy Koorn was the only rational vote. Other PC members detailed all the things wrong with the proposal and yet voted to move it forward. What's wrong with them? This store is too big for the location. This is a small neighborhood site and not on a major road like Morse or Route 23. And no to the 24 hour a day hours. Again, just plain wrong. There has been nothing but deception all along with Mr. Hadler's plan. Walmart intends to expand into Big Lots -stated at March PC meeting- and goodbye Taco Bell and Goodyear. A traffic nightmare to compound the current bottlenecks most of the day. Moving the light on State? What about the stores in that shopping area on the west side of State? The heck with Roush, Panera, Half Price.
To City Council - Just Say No.
johnnyg

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

thats right keep empty buildings in my neighborhood, we need more empty buildings, or better yet lets put boutiques that will close in a year like all the other uptown businesses that can't survive. i say hell yes we need more empty buildings. who says sourcasm is dead...

Since: Feb 11

Hayfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

How much in bribes did the planning commission get for voting Walmarts

way? You can kiss the merchants in downtown Westerville good-bye.

"Did you see that Martha...another downtown store going out of business..

must be cause of the profit sucking Walmart."
John

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

""I don't want people going home from work sitting in that traffic so that Walmart can profit," she said after the meeting."

++++++++++

LOL, you know she probably spents weeks coming up with the perfect walk off shot. Locked and loaded baby!
John

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

But Becky Chaney, who lives a block and a half from the center, said deliveries during the day could endanger children and others walking in the area.

"Small specialty boutiques are still a better option," she said. "That's what the shopping center was designed for."

++++++++++

Unfortunately small speciality boutiques could endanger my wallet. Shopping at walmart is the only way for the "middle class" to survive in 21st century America. The greedy wall street bankers have all the moolah.
Ben Dover

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

I will shop at walmart in westerville. I will buy my harware at Roush and if i need antiques I will visit the uptown shops. I really don't see this taking away from any merchants other than the grocery stores in the area. We'll need to save money after SB5 kicks in anyway.

No one cried when Big Lots went in (same made in china crap) no one cried when Marcs discount grocery went in so whats the difference between marcs, walmart, and big lots?
Ben Dover

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

Love My Neighborhood wrote:
Amy Koorn was the only rational vote. Other PC members detailed all the things wrong with the proposal and yet voted to move it forward. What's wrong with them? This store is too big for the location. This is a small neighborhood site and not on a major road like Morse or Route 23. And no to the 24 hour a day hours. Again, just plain wrong. There has been nothing but deception all along with Mr. Hadler's plan. Walmart intends to expand into Big Lots -stated at March PC meeting- and goodbye Taco Bell and Goodyear. A traffic nightmare to compound the current bottlenecks most of the day. Moving the light on State? What about the stores in that shopping area on the west side of State? The heck with Roush, Panera, Half Price.
To City Council - Just Say No.
South State will be widened and changed starting this year and should be done by the time the walmart will open.
Johannes

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

I've lived in Westerville, in THE neighborhood in which this will take place, for 32 years, and I guarantee this will destroy the neighborhood. It would be a different thing completely if the center were designed in a high-traffic-capable commercial area, but this center is SMACK in the heart of a middle-class neighborhood surrounded on three sides by homes and neighborhood churches. Anyone that thinks this center can handle the kind of traffic involved with a Walmart is delusional. And its not like only Westervillians are going to be going here. The traffic, crime, and other attendant problems are going to be colossal, let alone the negative effect on local nearby businesses. Looks like perhaps the final nail in the coffin of the south side of town.
Sad but true

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

John wrote:
But Becky Chaney, who lives a block and a half from the center, said deliveries during the day could endanger children and others walking in the area.
"Small specialty boutiques are still a better option," she said. "That's what the shopping center was designed for."
++++++++++
Unfortunately small speciality boutiques could endanger my wallet. Shopping at walmart is the only way for the "middle class" to survive in 21st century America. The greedy wall street bankers have all the moolah.
And good luck to the dying middle class as it outsourced to the very country that makes the products you pray to when you buy at Walmart proclaiming your savings. Manufacturing, GONE! Tele-support, GONE!, I.T., Going!, etc... Enjoy Walmart when all you can afford is Dollar General or Big Lots but they will be "Gone!" by then because Walmart supporters wanted it that way.
As far as Westerville, if Walmart comes I am Gone!
The Real Deal

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

I can envision the traffic. It already is bad especially coming from the south to that Schrock/State St point.

Wait until ODOT starts renovating the RT 3/270 exit point. It will be unbearable if you throw in a store that draws huge amounts of traffic like Wally-Worlds do.
Resident

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

No Walmart. There has got to be a better option.
Sadly

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

Sad but true wrote:
<quoted text>And good luck to the dying middle class as it outsourced to the very country that makes the products you pray to when you buy at Walmart proclaiming your savings. Manufacturing, GONE! Tele-support, GONE!, I.T., Going!, etc... Enjoy Walmart when all you can afford is Dollar General or Big Lots but they will be "Gone!" by then because Walmart supporters wanted it that way.
As far as Westerville, if Walmart comes I am Gone!
You might want to go before they complete building it. I can't imagine it having a positive effect on property values.
Sad but true

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

Sadly wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to go before they complete building it. I can't imagine it having a positive effect on property values.
No doubt. Live a few blocks north off of Otterbein. We're scr*wed. Can't wait for the sirens and COTA buses running up Otterbein all hrs. of the day transporting Columbus' trash in (especially after they close that sh**hole Walmart on Morse Rd.) You know that is the secret plan.
Ben Dover

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

Sadly wrote:
<quoted text>
Vacant retail centers negatively affect property values more than those with open stores.
WHO CARES

Canal Winchester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

Westerville residents are SNOBS
Corruption

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

What? Are they paying off city council?
Corruption

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

WalMart turns EVERYTHING to sh*t!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of140
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Westerville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Westerville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance