Voters to see contested school board,...

Voters to see contested school board, council races

There are 14 comments on the ThisWeek Community Newspapers story from Aug 17, 2011, titled Voters to see contested school board, council races. In it, ThisWeek Community Newspapers reports that:

Westerville's city council and school board both will see contested races in the Nov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ThisWeek Community Newspapers.

Cmon man

Naperville, IL

#1 Aug 18, 2011
"The Westerville City School District is seeking approval of a combination issue for a 0.5-percent earned-income tax and a 4.06-mill property tax."

"The earned-income tax would apply to all residents in the district but would not tax Social Security, retirement or investment income. The property tax would cost residents an additional $124.34 annually per $100,000 of assessed property value."

"The Westerville Public Library is requesting the renewal of a 0.8-mill property tax with a 1.2-mill increase. The levy would cost residents $61.25 annually per $100,000 of assessed property value, which would be an additional $36.75 annually per $100,000 of assessed property value."

Does the earned income tax apply to those who work but don't live in the district, to be fair, it should. Also do I have to file another return if this passes or do they just withold? I'm not doing a fourth return every year (five if I happen work in another local area with income tax).

How much of this tax goes to pay for the district's new tax department they'll need to process all the returns and income taxes collected?

The library now also???? Didn't we just give them more money a few years ago? What happened to that????

I guess it doesn't matter anymore. I'll just sign what little I have left in my paycheck over to the government and let them fight it out. We already pay $3700 per year in school taxes and this will drive it up well over $5000 per year just for the schools! We haven't had a decent raise to keep up with inflation over the last three years. I guess we'll sacrifice the luxuries like food, heat, gas for getting to/from work, savings for college education, retirement savings...that get's us about halfway to paying the additional taxes.
Parasite Government

Columbus, OH

#2 Aug 18, 2011
School district income taxes are another fraud that the state works in collusion with local districts to make sure they can shake down as much as possible from workers. The tax will be based upon residency, not work location.

Ironic that they want to tax the employed, while giving everyone else a free ride.

If the income tax passes, my wife and I are seriously considering relocating out of Genoa Township, and most likely, out of Ohio.

The taxes here are completely ridiculous, all to support a bloated, dying government that will kill you to keep itself fat and happy.
Be reasonable

Columbus, OH

#3 Aug 18, 2011
Parasite Government wrote:
School district income taxes are another fraud that the state works in collusion with local districts to make sure they can shake down as much as possible from workers. The tax will be based upon residency, not work location.
Ironic that they want to tax the employed, while giving everyone else a free ride.
If the income tax passes, my wife and I are seriously considering relocating out of Genoa Township, and most likely, out of Ohio.
The taxes here are completely ridiculous, all to support a bloated, dying government that will kill you to keep itself fat and happy.
You are upset that the income tax will tax the employed. The whole idea of an income tax is that it is based on people's ability to pay. Who would you like to have pay the tax, the unemployed? We constantly hear that older people can't afford more property taxes. Well, this income tax is an attempt to honor their wishes. Perhaps you should explain to these retired people why they should pay more tax so you can pay less. You sound like an extremist to me. We're talking about a common school levy, and you use words like"fraud" and "bloated,dying government." So many are like you: unable to discuss a situation without grossly exaggerating it.
Cmon man

Seymour, IL

#4 Aug 19, 2011
Be reasonable wrote:
<quoted text>
You are upset that the income tax will tax the employed. The whole idea of an income tax is that it is based on people's ability to pay. Who would you like to have pay the tax, the unemployed? We constantly hear that older people can't afford more property taxes. Well, this income tax is an attempt to honor their wishes. Perhaps you should explain to these retired people why they should pay more tax so you can pay less. You sound like an extremist to me. We're talking about a common school levy, and you use words like"fraud" and "bloated,dying government." So many are like you: unable to discuss a situation without grossly exaggerating it.
Retired people will be paying as part of this package is a property tax.
Be reasonable

Columbus, OH

#5 Aug 19, 2011
Cmon man wrote:
<quoted text>
Retired people will be paying as part of this package is a property tax.
You are correct that retired people will be paying the property tax component of this levy. However, without the income tax component, the property tax component would probably have been in excess of 7 mills. Therefore, retired people would be smart to vote for this levy. Why? Because if this levy is defeated, the Board could decide that the community doesn't like having an income tax to fund its schools and consequently return to levies that raise only property taxes. And let's face it, levies almost always pass because enough people realize that the quality of their schools largely determines the strength of their community. No school board relishes going through a levy campaign, but I do think this Board is to be commended for trying to meet the needs of lower income people and retirees by raising some revenues through an income tax, which in general takes into account people's ability to pay.
Cmon man

Seymour, IL

#6 Aug 19, 2011
Be reasonable wrote:
<quoted text>
levies almost always pass because enough people realize that the quality of their schools largely determines the strength of their community.
I agree with this statement but only to the point we are now with school taxes in Westerville. If taxes go too high there will be a point of no return since people will shy away from purchasing properties in Westerville. Why? We'll have one of the highest property (and income if passed) tax responsibilities in central ohio. Folks will look to other districts in the area with "excellent with distintion" and lower taxes. This is already happening. I have talked with a few people I know that have said "we won't look in Westerville because of the taxes". I know if I were looking at properties this would be the one of the primary considerations in my choice of where to purchase.
TiredOf Stepford

Columbus, OH

#7 Aug 19, 2011
Just glad to see some new blood running for school district - it is greatly needed to replace the rubber stamper board we have now, who forgets who elected them and ignores public input. We can't keep giving away too much on negotiations, giving the administration free rides on health care and pension payments and figuring out how to pay for it later. Won't be voting for Mr. Hammond though because he is married to a district employee. We need more balanced and unbiased board members. Challenging times call for new vision and creativity.
Cmon man

Naperville, IL

#8 Aug 19, 2011
Be reasonable wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct that retired people will be paying the property tax component of this levy. However, without the income tax component, the property tax component would probably have been in excess of 7 mills. Therefore, retired people would be smart to vote for this levy. Why? Because if this levy is defeated, the Board could decide that the community doesn't like having an income tax to fund its schools and consequently return to levies that raise only property taxes. And let's face it, levies almost always pass because enough people realize that the quality of their schools largely determines the strength of their community. No school board relishes going through a levy campaign, but I do think this Board is to be commended for trying to meet the needs of lower income people and retirees by raising some revenues through an income tax, which in general takes into account people's ability to pay.
What are you worried about if you if live in Powell? You won't have to pay either tax.

The free rides the admin gets have to stop. The teachers offered "concessions" (well, lets say they postponed only about 1/2 of their upcoming raises for one year) but not the administration, they still get a full ride on us. Until I see "progress" on costs like several other districts in the area (ie freezing salaries for one to two years on step increases and raises) I cannot vote for ANY levy.
born and raised here

Naperville, IL

#9 Aug 19, 2011
Be reasonable wrote:
<quoted text>
Therefore, retired people would be smart to vote for this levy.... but I do think this Board is to be commended for trying to meet the needs of lower income people and retirees by raising some revenues through an income tax, which in general takes into account people's ability to pay.
Do you realize that a number of retired folks are forced to work to supplement their retirement incomes? They will be taxed on their earned income any many are in minimum wage jobs just so they can put food on the table. This income tax will take food off their table.
solomon

Austin, TX

#10 Aug 19, 2011
Cmon man wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with this statement but only to the point we are now with school taxes in Westerville. If taxes go too high there will be a point of no return since people will shy away from purchasing properties in Westerville. Why? We'll have one of the highest property (and income if passed) tax responsibilities in central ohio. Folks will look to other districts in the area with "excellent with distintion" and lower taxes. This is already happening. I have talked with a few people I know that have said "we won't look in Westerville because of the taxes". I know if I were looking at properties this would be the one of the primary considerations in my choice of where to purchase.
Where are they going to look? The property taxes are high every where especially in central ohio.
maggie

Bowling Green, OH

#11 Aug 21, 2011
Even with passage of the ballot issue, Westerville will still be in the red. Does that scenario not scream to a rational person that adjustments need to be made in spending habits? And could someone tell me what inside information Be Reasonable has as to what the board will do should the levy fail?
Cmon man

Seymour, IL

#12 Aug 22, 2011
solomon wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are they going to look? The property taxes are high every where especially in central ohio.
http://www.franklincountyauditor.com/real-est...

Here are rates from similar areas. These are EXPRESSED IN DOLLARS AND CENTS ON EACH ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS OF ASSESSED VALUATION.

Westerville currently at $112.12. Add in proposed 4.06 mill equals $113.37 per 1,000 dollar in valuation.

Other areas for comparison...
Gahanna proper 102.47
Upper Arlington area in Dublin Schools 108.25
New Albany 107.05
Pickerington (Franklin County) 104.78
Canal Winchester (Franklin County) 103.68
Dublin Schools (Washington Township)76.12
Worthington proper 116.82

There are many additional areas that have lower overall taxes just in Franklin County that I did not list here. Upper Arlington, Bexley, and Worthington are still higher than Westerville.

Cmon man

Seymour, IL

#13 Aug 22, 2011
Now lets add in the income tax...Let's say a couple that both work and make 50,000/year each (not rich folks by any means). Consider that they are taxed on the entire 50,000 as most local income taxes. 100,000 times .5 percent equals 500 dollars per year. Assuming they are not in over their head, this couple owns a 200,000 house. Currently they pay around 5500/year in property tax. Roughly 65% of that currently goes toward the school. Add the 4.06 mill levy (250 per year. That ups the total to 5750/year. Ouch. Add in the library at 122/year and that ups the total to alomost $6000 dollars /year in property tax alone. Add in the additional income tax and now we are at 6500/ year.

All total this levy costs way too much at almost $1000 ADDITIONAL per year. Another 84 dollars per month in the family budget takes food out of the childrens mouth, college savings retirement savings and so on.

Of course those promoting this levy can claim that our property taxes are not the highest around but they will ignore the income tax for the sake of their argument.
Mike fm Taxerville

Dublin, OH

#14 Aug 24, 2011
RE ELECTED ALL OF THEM!!!!

We the people of WESTERVILLE love the job that the city/schools have done in the last 5 years.

Just look at the businesses that have moved to Westerville or that are triing to and all the extra taxes that will be collected.

We are even getting a WALMART!!!

WESTERVILLE ROCKS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AEP silences #MeToo complaint 12 min Just_B_N_Me 22
Need a 9mm recommendation 23 min MMM 42
STILL WAITING for someone to explain how the wo... 25 min Enter Username 17
Trump BALD HEAD 31 min d pants 138
Flynn Pleads Guilty 53 min d pants 914
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 1 hr Charlie Pharaoh 6,696
John Lewis Heckled on Airplane Flight 1 hr Capt Pepe 31

Westerville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westerville Mortgages