Some Say Walmart Could Give Boost To Westerville Shopping Center | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

Full story: 10TV WBNS 106
Could Walmart be a good thing for the city of Westerville? Well, that depends on who you ask. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
No way

Columbus, OH

#1 Dec 21, 2010
Lies, all lies. Wally World kills business.
FRANK TANG BEST GOOD

Dayton, OH

#2 Dec 21, 2010
And has sent most of America's manufacturing jobs to China. Fact.
Mike

Grove City, OH

#3 Dec 21, 2010
It's a no Brianer in this economy. Look how many jobs would be filled....hundreds just at the one location. Any job is better than no job. Walmart is a huge,strong company....if they want to move to Westerville, TRUST ME, then they will.
Walmart Shopper

Columbus, OH

#4 Dec 21, 2010
All I have to say is, I am willing to bet that all the ones critisizing and saying dont let them move in there, are the ones you will see in line at Walmart buying what they need. I agree with Mike from Grove City. A job is a job and with their "POWER", they will be in there in no time at all.

Since: Apr 10

Westerville, OH

#5 Dec 21, 2010
"Some" being Wal-mart employees, stock holders and the Walton family?
Yes Way

New York, NY

#6 Dec 21, 2010
The boost in economic sales in that area, is reason enough.

“Sadly it is what it is.”

Since: Nov 09

Toonville

#7 Dec 21, 2010
Build it and they will come.
Annie Lynn

Rogers, AR

#8 Dec 21, 2010
What is the big deal about who builds there? Any company going in there is better than no company. Get the area up and running again.
SadinWhitehall

Columbus, OH

#9 Dec 21, 2010
We in Whitehall thought a Walmart would be a good thing too. It has done nothing but bring in theives, and the Scurge of the Earth from the inner city. Most of the Law Abiding, Tax Paying Citizens of Whitehall would rather drive to Walmart on 256 where we can feel safe than to even drive 5 minutes to the Walmart in our own Neighborhood. If you don't beleive what I am saying then check it out for yourself in our weekly Whitehall News. One Report after another of the crimes committed at that Store.
FKWMT

United States

#10 Dec 21, 2010
Walmart doesnt provide good jobs, and then it kills off more jobs by moving the manufacturing jobs to china for you can buy them rollback prices. Wish Walmart would be ship to China, we dont need them in the USA.
No Way

Dublin, OH

#11 Dec 21, 2010
Walmart is not going to attract people coming in from elsewhere. All Walmart does is bundle everything together, pay their employees min wage with no benefits(they offer benfits that no one can afford) then watch all of the other retail businesses in westerville like roush hardware shutdown because they cannot compete with the gross low wages walmart pays while it imports 95% of it's products from China.
When are the American people going to get smart and realize that this is not good for our economy. Walmart may create low paying jobs but we will also lose higher paying benefit jobs when the rest of our retail business in westerville shutdown and then watch our money flow directly to China.
Did you know that 80% of walmart empoyess receive some kind of gov't assistance. So don't think you are getting a good deal because on the back end your income tax dollars are going to pay walmart emplyees benefits and food stamps while the waltons laugh all the way to the bank. I suggest you research this stuff. No way a good deal for our city nor our country. This is coming from a restaurant owner in the ville who may benefit from a walmart if it actually does increase traffic. However, my country and the loyal longtime retail businesses in westerville are more important to me than money. Wise up people invest in the longtime businesses in Westerville who DO NOT buy almost all of their products from China.
Amerikkk

Morrow, GA

#12 Dec 21, 2010
There is going to be crime in Whitehall no matter if Wal-Mart is there or not. Have you drove down Main and James to Hamilton. Not the best hood in the world. Maybe if the Whitehall Police was less involved with setting up speed traps and maybe spend more time patroling around Wal-Mart if there is so much trouble there maybe it would stop. Whitehall is an armpit and was and armpit. Before and after Wal-mart. Good Day.
No Way

Dublin, OH

#13 Dec 21, 2010
Mike wrote:
It's a no Brianer in this economy. Look how many jobs would be filled....hundreds just at the one location. Any job is better than no job. Walmart is a huge,strong company....if they want to move to Westerville, TRUST ME, then they will.
You obviously have never tried to open a business in Westerville. This may be true in other areas but our planning commission and city council do not sell out and are loyal to Westerville businesses and it's residents. By the way, how many jobs would be lost from other businesses closing down? One shut down shopping center is bad but what about hundreds of smaller locations closed throughout the city which, in return, hurts our property owners as well.
Our cheapness is causing us to be second fiddle now to China who enjoys 14%-20% gdp gains every quarter while we, on great quarters, increase our gdp by 5%. The only way we can compete with China is to bring back slave labor. Who is willing to make that call? Are you? Actually you are in your buying products from China. Support westerville business and our country not Walmart who has become rich off of chinese slave labor while having the US tax payers support their employees....FACT!
Amerikkk

Morrow, GA

#14 Dec 21, 2010
There is way more to blame than just Wally World for OUR economy. Many American businesses took there businesses overseas for cheaper labor. This is all about greedy Americans. They all want more money, more benefits, and then go to Wal-Mart to save money. Corporate leaders took American jobs that they were paying Billy $20 and hour with full benefits and gave them to Hector for $6 an hour with little or no benefits. It's a global world now. You better be ready to compete with the other countries and kids you better stay in school. American hoarding days are over. Deal with it. Scale down your lifestyle and be prepared. Life is not the same and NEVER will be.

Wal-Mart is a retail store. Name one retail store that a cashier is getting benefits? Seriously, I want to know where to send my kids for work when they are able to.

Since: Feb 10

Witness Protection Program

#15 Dec 21, 2010
Wal-Mart is a facade. Their prices are not competetive anymore. Meijer is cheaper on groceries and Target is cheaper on all other items.
No Way

Dublin, OH

#16 Dec 21, 2010
Roushhardware I think gives it's employees benefits.

I only by my products from Vendors who certify US made products. I support and love this country and do not sell this country out for a buck or two like you. Global world is no excuse. As soon as the American consumer realizes that we hold the power not corporations we will see our jobs come back. Just like Allstate who brought back thousands of customer service jobs to the US from India. That is why my howmowners and auto policies are now with Allstate.

As for more and more business moving overseas. Well, in the end, that may turn out to be a bad move because wages in China are rising 10% to 15% a year and we are now beginning to see talks of labor strikes. And spiking oil prices are driving up shipping rates. The cost of sending a 40-foot container from Shanghai to San Diego has soared by 150%, to $5,500, since 2000.

If we can get the repubs to quit filbustering a bill that gives US companies tax breakes who move their business overseas (FACT) than maybe we can see our country rebound again.
SHOPPER

Grove City, OH

#17 Dec 21, 2010
Not in my backyard but I will drive twenty miles to your backyard.
u2me2

Columbus, OH

#18 Dec 21, 2010
THATS ALL WE NEED IS PEOPLE WITH NO TEETH.JUNK CAR.S
Westerville Resident

Dublin, OH

#19 Dec 21, 2010
SHOPPER wrote:
Not in my backyard but I will drive twenty miles to your backyard.
Actually I have not been to a walmart since 12/09 when, after purchasing Christmas lights, I came out and found my car with a smashed passenger side window and Cristmas presents missing. I looked around to see who may be the culprit and noticed that about 80% of the people coming out from walmart looked suspicous. No thank you. You are right NOT IN MY BACKYARD! Westerville is too nice and we respect our community too much to sell out.
tim moore

Westerville, OH

#20 Dec 21, 2010
I think this would be a terrible mistake to let Walmart come into this area. Walmart brings a very different kind of patron and I do not want to see Westerville brought down to that status. I do not believe in the way Walmart treats their employees and everything in the store is shipped from China. What would happen to Odd Lots if Walmart built in this area, yes Odd Lots would go out of business.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scarves scattered around Goodale Park are there... 10 min They cannot kill ... 4
LOL Former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland to run for... 13 min Duke for Mayor 25
Chickens Coming Home To Roost: Rev. Wright’s Da... 15 min Duke for Mayor 33
Every state has ISIS recruits 22 min Duke for Mayor 110
Who is horny 57 min Duke for Mayor 3
Pam BizzyBee Linda Catman and all other nice pe... 2 hr Duke for Mayor 79
Gorilla Strolls Hallway At Columbus Zoo | WBNS-... (Nov '09) 2 hr West side pride 28
Westerville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Westerville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:00 pm PST

Bleacher Report 1:00PM
Ranking Browns' Top QB Options for 2015
Bleacher Report 3:30 AM