Grandview principal's old secret compels him to quit | The Columbus Dispatch

Questions led Jesse Truett to "admit my mistake." When Principal Jesse Truett announced his resignation from Grandview Heights High School last month for personal and health reasons, people had few details and lots of questions. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Throw me a bone

Columbus, OH

#134 Apr 15, 2011
OSU1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you'd be more pro-education if someone had thought you how to spell, or how to be an informed citizen, or maybe just how to use spell check.
The biggest fear for school districts is to get sued or come under public scrutiny- both of which compromise their revenue from levies. School districts would gladly throw someone under the bus rather than have this happen. That wouldn't be "too much work"- it would be a no-brainer.
Ditto to you when it comes to spelling!
superman

Columbus, OH

#135 Apr 15, 2011
No matter what anyone says, he is an awesome principal.
Hmmm

Pickerington, OH

#136 Apr 15, 2011
Jesse is a great educator. Rules / laws apply to everybody, for sure. I think many of us are glad we're not held to everything we did when young, and yes 23 is plenty old enough to know to not date a student, so he should be held accountable, and I believe is and will be.

For those who claim that Euro's are more laid back and we should be more lenient, that's dumb, how can you not see problems coming from a teacher dating a student in the building? Come on, that's not very wise. I mean, I'm for 'legalizing it', but still have rationality.

No way Jesse's conscience just got to him, and I'm sure this is a hard time, but he had to step down and go away, and I hope his talents translate to another industry.
Ummmmmm

Pickerington, OH

#137 Apr 15, 2011
Hmmmmm, I don't know if you mean legalizing sleeping with minors or with crystal meth, but what does that have to do with what public districts serve for school lunch? I don't get your point.

Secondly, I know a guy who lived in Europe for over a year and he has a 12 year old that is allowed a glass of wine at brunch, and his family nets a total of over $60,000 per year, which is well over the national average, so again, you need to check your figures.
The Four Horsemen

Grove City, OH

#138 Apr 15, 2011
OSU1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you'd be more pro-education if someone had thought you how to spell, or how to be an informed citizen, or maybe just how to use spell check.
The biggest fear for school districts is to get sued or come under public scrutiny- both of which compromise their revenue from levies. School districts would gladly throw someone under the bus rather than have this happen. That wouldn't be "too much work"- it would be a no-brainer.
....thought me how to spell? Alrighty, then. Even spell check wouldn't have fixed that one for you, Mr. Brainiac. I'll let my publisher know he doesn't need you as a proofer. You wouldn't make it at an ebook company.
Ridiculous

New Albany, OH

#139 Apr 15, 2011
Why are we still commenting on this? Look at the facts and look at the laws. After that make a decision. It's that simple folks!
GHHS Parents

United States

#140 Apr 15, 2011
We wish Jesse and his family the best. His time with our school was nothing but a positive experience. His departure is a huge loss to us.
GHHS student

Columbus, OH

#141 Apr 16, 2011
superman wrote:
No matter what anyone says, he is an awesome principal.
Wooohooo!!!
Go Jesse Truett!!
He seriously is/was/whatever- an awesome principle.

Sorry for the enthusiasm. It is not meant to take away an seriousness from the comment of my opinion.
GHHS student

Columbus, OH

#142 Apr 16, 2011
Mugal wrote:
I understand why it is unlawful for Teache/Student relationships.
I don't know why if convicted this person must register with pedophiles and rapist.
Punish him, yes somewhat
Register for lifetime and report to sheriff every 90 days for life.
No child will be any safer.
What a waste of tax money.
At least we can "feel like" we are making the world safer by killing this past sinner.
ain't that right mean arse Nancy Evil Grace.
Sure... but that's also not exactly what happens... at all.
Please get things right before you argue. It only makes your argument stronger. Things like this (being inaccurate) make it a lot easier for people to find ways to poke holes by saying you don't even know what you are talking about.

In this case especially, accuracy would strengthen your point. The actuality of the law is that this (in my opinion)-ridiculously molded law makes the crime a third degree felony and is punishable by up to 20 years in prison and a &10,000 fine.

What the hell is the end of your comment?
GHHS student

Columbus, OH

#143 Apr 16, 2011
boatman1 wrote:
The sad part of this story is the fact that this individual is exactly the kind of teacher you would want for your kids. He defined dedication and worked incredibly hard to make learning fun. His total body of work at WNHS as a faculty member and various advisory roles epitomized the "Warrior Way" and I challenge anyone to find a co-worker or administrator during his tenure at WNHS who wouldn't agree. He was the kind of teacher who would make a killing in a merit-based pay system for teachers. A decision to date a student was a mistake for which he has paid dearly but don't use this incident to denigrate an otherwise stellar teaching career.
This is one of my favorite comments I've come accross.
He was such a great principal at GHHS and it seems to remain that at least the students, teachers and parents I have communicated with about the situation continue to appreciate everything he has done for the school during his three years in the community as principal of the high school.
superman

Columbus, OH

#144 Apr 16, 2011
GHHS student wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure... but that's also not exactly what happens... at all.
Please get things right before you argue. It only makes your argument stronger. Things like this (being inaccurate) make it a lot easier for people to find ways to poke holes by saying you don't even know what you are talking about.
In this case especially, accuracy would strengthen your point. The actuality of the law is that this (in my opinion)-ridiculously molded law makes the crime a third degree felony and is punishable by up to 20 years in prison and a &10,000 fine.
What the hell is the end of your comment?
Whose side are you on? Your comments are all over the place. If you truly are a student at GHHS, your know that Mr. Truett is an exemplary principal. What the freak?
GHHS student

Columbus, OH

#145 Apr 16, 2011
Reality Check65 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right! Back in the day I remember 2 teachers that married former students. Yeah, it was weird but not near as weird as the youth pastor that "counseled" teenage girls at the local church. He left down when the rumors swirled but wasn't publicly flogged by a bunch of witch hunters. He ruined lives...nothing like the consensual relationship referenced here. She probably had enough credits to graduate as a Junior. I doubt he had "control" over her. Wake up people! With the drugs and alcohol issues plaguing every school district in this country, why are you crucifying a man that admitted his poor judgment? If any of you naysayers are from Grandview, you probably don't deserve the concern he showed for you by resigning. I wish him the best.
Hah I think it's kind of funny (funny meaning more like interesting) two [now former] teachers at Grandview Schools have actually married former students of theirs. I think that is the reference to previous inappropriate relationships in some of the article but if that is the case I'm not sure it is accurate. The difference is there was no evidence of a relationship during the student's learning career.

Jesse Truett was so good for GHHS and I so hope he feels that he can continue to live in the community as well has his family. He is strongly appreciated.
GHHS student

Columbus, OH

#146 Apr 16, 2011
mason wrote:
http://badbadteacher.com/stacy -schuler/
The Robert Moore is much more relevant.
Very similar in regards to laws.

(01/27/11 – Initial BadBadTeacher.com Report)

Robert “Mike” Moore, 22, former coach of the freshmen girls basketball team at Amelia High School in Batavia, Ohio has reportedly been indicated by a grand jury on allegations of the sexual battery of an 18-year-old female student.

Reportedly, Moore was indicted on one count of sexual battery, a third-degree felony.

It is alleged that Moore and the student attended a party earlier this month at a home in Amelia at which they consumed alcohol and engaged in consensual sexual intercourse. Reportedly the allegations are based on both evidence and witness statements.

Although the student is legally an adult, Ohio law prohibits administrators, teachers, coaches or other person in authority from engaging in sexual activity with students.

Reportedly, Moore resigned earlier this month.

Following his indictment, Moore was held in the Clermont County jail with bond set at $25,000.
South Ender

Columbus, OH

#147 Apr 17, 2011
GHHS student wrote:
<quoted text>
The Robert Moore is much more relevant.
Very similar in regards to laws.
(01/27/11 – Initial BadBadTeacher.com Report)
Robert “Mike” Moore, 22, former coach of the freshmen girls basketball team at Amelia High School in Batavia, Ohio has reportedly been indicated by a grand jury on allegations of the sexual battery of an 18-year-old female student.
Reportedly, Moore was indicted on one count of sexual battery, a third-degree felony.
It is alleged that Moore and the student attended a party earlier this month at a home in Amelia at which they consumed alcohol and engaged in consensual sexual intercourse. Reportedly the allegations are based on both evidence and witness statements.
Although the student is legally an adult, Ohio law prohibits administrators, teachers, coaches or other person in authority from engaging in sexual activity with students.
Reportedly, Moore resigned earlier this month.
Following his indictment, Moore was held in the Clermont County jail with bond set at $25,000.
For being a GHHS Student, please indicate who you had for English! I realize the current generation doesn't feel the need to spell correctly...also, I agree you are all over the place.
Kylie

Columbus, OH

#148 Apr 21, 2011
Grandview Gators wrote:
<quoted text>
Kylie - Your post has been reported as abuse. You have irresponsibly libeled a man who was accused, but never charged with a crime and have erroneously listed the reason for his resignation.
In this country a person is innocent until proven guilty, yet you have chosen to single out a person and claim something untrue.
Here are the facts: An investigation was conducted and the accusations were determined to be "unfounded" by three different agencies. No charges were ever filed and there was never any litigation, plea deal or any law enforcement involvement (past the investigation).
The person in question resigned under his own volition for reasons you are not privy to.
The misinformation you spread is vile and unfair to all involved.
No, you are wrong. What's that saying? "Often wrong, never in doubt." That fits you perfectly. The fact that someone is not indicted or charged with a criminal offense does not mean that he did nothing wrong. Far from it. It's wrong to touch a child inappropriately, whether you are charged or not. Period. The prosecutor decided not to indict. There are many reasons not to indict. The man resigned his position and gave up his license because he had inappropriate contact with students and was facing termination by the school board and the permanent revocation of his license by the Ohio Department of Education. Check the ODE website. It's right there for anyone to see.
dont ask dont smell

Columbus, OH

#149 Apr 27, 2011
I know people who worked with him very closely. All have nothing but praise for this guy. Very positive, and creative, very dedicated and professional. You folks who like to smear anyone who makes mistakes, especially when they're only 23 years old...get a life. Sounds like he is going above and beyond to atone for his "sins". I wish him well and hope he gets a job that he finds rewarding. I know his coworkers already miss him.
Marchese the Beast

United States

#150 Nov 17, 2011
Just where is Chris Marchese these days? Just because he resigned doesn't mean he quit showering with young boys. Does his new employer know of his past? Is he working for Penn State?
Dont ask dont smell

Columbus, OH

#151 Nov 17, 2011
Mybe Jesse will now work for private organizations and make a ton more money. I wish him well.
Too Much

Potomac, MD

#152 Nov 17, 2011
Back in the day, my math teacher when I was a senior in hs was dating this hot girl in our class. It was no big deal. They got married after she got out of college. He was just out of college, so only like 5 or 6 yrs older. Boinking that young stuff is the way to go

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marriage Vows 48 min sidekick 10
rebecca wild 2 hr They cannot kill ... 7
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 4,986
Mana s Skeleton Found In Woods In Central Ohio 3 hr They cannot kill ... 3
Where has Rowdy been? 3 hr They cannot kill ... 6
Joe Cocker is dead. 4 hr Politics anyone 70
African American Male Initiative seeks to help ... 10 hr Truthful 22
Westerville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Westerville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Westerville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Westerville

Personal Finance