Grandview principal's old secret comp...

Grandview principal's old secret compels him to quit | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 139 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Apr 13, 2011, titled Grandview principal's old secret compels him to quit | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Questions led Jesse Truett to "admit my mistake." When Principal Jesse Truett announced his resignation from Grandview Heights High School last month for personal and health reasons, people had few details and lots of questions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

James

Dublin, OH

#113 Apr 13, 2011
Darryl wrote:
I-N-T-E-G-R-I-T-Y...We need more of it, I wish him well.
AMEN!!!
James

Dublin, OH

#114 Apr 13, 2011
Darryl wrote:
I-N-T-E-G-R-I-T-Y...We need more of it, I wish him well.
AMEN!!!!
Playa Hata

Dublin, OH

#115 Apr 13, 2011
Don't blame the Dispatch. SNP reporter Gregory L. Jones broke the story. The Dispatch just regurgitated it. This is a truly unfortunate situation, but he was a wonderful principal.
superman

Dublin, OH

#116 Apr 13, 2011
Jesse Truett is a great principal!
BTW

Dublin, OH

#117 Apr 13, 2011
Jesse Truett is an awesome principal
Throw me a bone

Dublin, OH

#118 Apr 13, 2011
No one is blaming anyone. He took the the road less traveled and did the right thing. You rock
PEARL

Chagrin Falls, OH

#119 Apr 13, 2011
justa wrote:
If he feels that bad , is he going to give back all the money he made ?
Earned
Mugal

Hilliard, OH

#120 Apr 13, 2011
I understand why it is unlawful for Teache/Student relationships.

I don't know why if convicted this person must register with pedophiles and rapist.

Punish him, yes somewhat

Register for lifetime and report to sheriff every 90 days for life.

No child will be any safer.

What a waste of tax money.
At least we can "feel like" we are making the world safer by killing this past sinner.

ain't that right mean arse Nancy Evil Grace.
Skeptic Sue

Columbus, OH

#121 Apr 13, 2011
Although the twenty-three year old Mr. Truett showed very poor judgment in dating an eighteen year-old student at Westerville North High School (hopefully she wasn’t one of his students), I believe his actions a dozen+ years later are actually more egregious. To resign with only two months remaining in the school has let down the entire Grandview community – teachers, fellow administrators, students, and mostly the graduating seniors. I do not understand why he could not have completed the school year and given Grandview Heights High School proper notice so that they could find a replacement, rather than ignominiously resigning under a veil of secrecy, forcing the district to scramble for an interim principal. And why does Mr. Truett’s attorney speak for him if this resignation was truly due to a guilty conscience? Really, this makes no sense! It sounds to me that Mr. Truett’s past was found out, the OED began an investigation, and in order to sidestep legal difficulties, he resigned. This was not due to a family and health crises, but due to a legal crises, which may only just be beginning. Twenty-three year old Mr. Truett was foolish and lacking in judgment. Thirty-six year old Mr. Truett is self-serving and deceitful. I believe it is good that he has surrendered his license. After thirteen years in education, he himself has learned nothing!
Cuz

United States

#122 Apr 13, 2011
This story ain't over.
what in the

Columbus, OH

#123 Apr 13, 2011
John wrote:
Unlike many others he had a conscience. He should be saluted for doing the right thing.
John, that's the dumbest s#$! I ever read. Just dumb.
For Some of Us

Columbus, OH

#125 Apr 14, 2011
James wrote:
First of all, when people make unintelligent comments like "so-called professionals" when referring to educators, this is half the problem. Teachers in Grandview and the Columbus area are true professionals and have the children's best interest at hand. They work hard to educate and personalize each child that walks through the school halls.
Yes, I know that he made a mistake many years ago and now he is paying the price. By tomorrow another story will be front and center in the Dispatch and every critic will be all over that one.
When people do not know or understand all of the facts and are writing lies, lies lies to destroy a family or person that is wrong. You should be prosecuted for having nothing better to do than sitting around ruining people's lives.
THIS is the crappy attitude I'm talking about. Keep talking and prove my point.

The children come first. When you want to start policing your own, we won't have to. This guy didn't carry on an affair for several years without other teachers and school personnel knowing about it, but they said nothing - OBVIOUSLY.

He's admitting guilt, finally, but why, exactly? After all these years, it should be between him and his maker, providing he hasn't commited a crime since.

I'm thinking a little love child came home to roost. One he probably hasn't paid support for, but now that the kid is front and center in his life, he might just as well own up to it now, rather than be fired, and besmirch his so-called professional reputation.
pinto

Columbus, OH

#126 Apr 14, 2011
The Four Horsemen wrote:
Aren't we thrilled that he relieved himself of the stress of this catching up with him eventually?
With the news coming out every week, do we trust any teachers?
And you people wonder why HB5 is happening. This guy got away with it for 20 years, likely because the principle at his school knew how much work it would be to get rid of him. Or, the principle didn't care.
Either way...
you need to go back to school and learn some basic arithemtic. The man is now 36, this happened when he was 23. That is 13 years ago, not twenty.

He seems to be remorseful. Yes it was wrong, but remember that the student was 18. At 18 a person is considered to be an adult. She bears a bit of responsibility. Is this student seeking legal action?
boatman1

Columbus, OH

#127 Apr 14, 2011
The sad part of this story is the fact that this individual is exactly the kind of teacher you would want for your kids. He defined dedication and worked incredibly hard to make learning fun. His total body of work at WNHS as a faculty member and various advisory roles epitomized the "Warrior Way" and I challenge anyone to find a co-worker or administrator during his tenure at WNHS who wouldn't agree. He was the kind of teacher who would make a killing in a merit-based pay system for teachers. A decision to date a student was a mistake for which he has paid dearly but don't use this incident to denigrate an otherwise stellar teaching career.
Silence

Columbus, OH

#128 Apr 14, 2011
If everyone in the school knew that he was dating a student and felt it was wrong, why didn't anyone confront him or do something?
Reality Check65

Delphos, OH

#129 Apr 14, 2011
Cartman wrote:
If you would like to make a list I can point out nearly identical situations in every walk of life- particularly the clergy. Humans are just that. It's time we took a big step back, started to reason as if we actually had that ability and quit pretending this is Puritanical New England of centuries ago.
All you hypocrites keep casting your stones...
Once again the Faux News Wantabee Murdoch Dispatch is demonizing one of our greatest resources- school teachers.
You are so right! Back in the day I remember 2 teachers that married former students. Yeah, it was weird but not near as weird as the youth pastor that "counseled" teenage girls at the local church. He left down when the rumors swirled but wasn't publicly flogged by a bunch of witch hunters. He ruined lives...nothing like the consensual relationship referenced here. She probably had enough credits to graduate as a Junior. I doubt he had "control" over her. Wake up people! With the drugs and alcohol issues plaguing every school district in this country, why are you crucifying a man that admitted his poor judgment? If any of you naysayers are from Grandview, you probably don't deserve the concern he showed for you by resigning. I wish him the best.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#130 Apr 14, 2011
pinto wrote:
<quoted text>
you need to go back to school and learn some basic arithemtic.
But not at the expense of spelling and capitalization.

Since: Apr 11

Delphos, OH

#131 Apr 14, 2011
Northern Lass wrote:
When I was in school there were four girls, all cousins, who made it a point to go after the single male teachers in hopes of having sexual relationships with them. The administration did nothing because the girls were all athletes.
Student-teacher relationships do happen, sometimes they are initiated by the students, sometimes by the teacher. Either way it is against the law in Ohio. This teacher did the right thing by resigning.
Does anyone know when it became a law? Was it a clear law 13 years ago? Just curious.
OSU1

United States

#132 Apr 15, 2011
The Four Horsemen wrote:
Aren't we thrilled that he relieved himself of the stress of this catching up with him eventually?
With the news coming out every week, do we trust any teachers?
And you people wonder why HB5 is happening. This guy got away with it for 20 years, likely because the principle at his school knew how much work it would be to get rid of him. Or, the principle didn't care.
Either way...
Maybe you'd be more pro-education if someone had thought you how to spell, or how to be an informed citizen, or maybe just how to use spell check.

The biggest fear for school districts is to get sued or come under public scrutiny- both of which compromise their revenue from levies. School districts would gladly throw someone under the bus rather than have this happen. That wouldn't be "too much work"- it would be a no-brainer.
South Ender

Dublin, OH

#133 Apr 15, 2011
OSU1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you'd be more pro-education if someone had thought you how to spell, or how to be an informed citizen, or maybe just how to use spell check.
The biggest fear for school districts is to get sued or come under public scrutiny- both of which compromise their revenue from levies. School districts would gladly throw someone under the bus rather than have this happen. That wouldn't be "too much work"- it would be a no-brainer.
Did you mean "taught" not "thought?" Please proof.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sean Hannity 3 min Pope Che Reagan C... 889
Now it has a name: Crossfire Hurricane 14 min Reality Speaks 194
NO lying about the Harry, Meghan Wedding 20 min Reality Speaks 47
PRESIDENT TRUMP on NFL protesters 30 min Reality Speaks 6
Franklin Golf Car Company (Sep '12) 53 min Pissed Off 24
Bet Russia doesn't "OUT " their FBI counterpart... 1 hr Reality Speaks 3
Are Whites A Minority In Columbus? 10 hr Larry Cheese 10

Westerville Jobs

Personal Finance

Westerville Mortgages