ObamaCare Jumps the Shark

ObamaCare Jumps the Shark

Posted in the Westerville Forum

Enzyte Bob

Powell, OH

#1 Dec 7, 2012
Obamacare Jumps the Shark in its Premiere

One of the reasons blue programs jump the shark is that over time more and more special interests lobby politicians to get special features added. The small add-ons and tweaks make programs more expensive and complicated to administer—and much, much harder to reform. This process begins when the laws are written; the lobbyists are there to tuck special little surprises between the pages of the bill. It continues as the regulations necessary to implement the new laws are written; once again, lobbyists are on hand to mold the regs to their liking. And it persists year after year after year, as lobbyists look for ways to amend the existing laws or add new requirements by inserting language into other bills.

This is happening as states develop the requirements for insurance under Obamacare. Chiropractors and acupuncturists are lobbying to make sure that their services are included among the “essential” services that the new insurance must provide. The New York Times details some of this reportedly “marginal” tweaking that’s already going on:

According to proposals that the states have submitted to the Department of Health and Human Services, insurance plans will have to cover weight-loss surgery in New York and California, for example, but not in Minnesota or Connecticut. Infertility treatment will be a required benefit in New Hampshire, but not in Arizona.

Over all, the law requires that essential health benefits cover 10 broad categories, including emergency services, maternity and newborn care, hospitalization, preventive care and prescription drugs. But there is room for variation in those categories. Whether insurance will pay for hearing aids, foot care, speech therapy and various medications will vary significantly by state.

Whatever the merits of the claims, any new required service will inevitably drive up the cost of insurance.

This same process will happen again and again and again. The nurse lobby will make sure that only licensed nurses can provide certain procedures. Other groups will protect their vested interests by influencing the regulations following amending laws. Ultimately even the positive features of the law will be significantly compromised by the steady accretion of small changes, almost unnoticeable in themselves in many cases—and even well intended sometimes—that over time will turn the law into an unholy mess.

The law is a blunt instrument; fixing the health care system by government fiat is like neurosurgery with a hammer. It’s going to hurt more than you think, and will harm more than it helps. Let’s hope politicians figure that out before too much damage is done.
Enzyte Bob

Powell, OH

#2 Dec 7, 2012
Link:

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/20...

Author:

Dumbocrat, Walter Russell Mead
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#3 Dec 7, 2012
Not news to me!
Enzyte Bob

Powell, OH

#4 Dec 7, 2012
Wait what wrote:
Not news to me!
Me, either.

People are too greedy and want their free stuff. What people don't get is that money is like any other precious resource and actually the most precious of all, since it represents minutes of your life that were taken to earn your money.

If you've ever observed how government works, money is often spent on a "who you know" and "who's your buddy" basis. This is what I see at the county level. Spending money in this manner affects everything government does. And the more money government gets, the more that is spent this way and the more it chokes the economy.

Putting money through government is like putting a gallon of gasoline in a 1972 Chevy Impala as opposed to a 2006 Chevy Impala. It is spent more prudently in private hands.
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#5 Dec 7, 2012
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Me, either.
People are too greedy and want their free stuff. What people don't get is that money is like any other precious resource and actually the most precious of all, since it represents minutes of your life that were taken to earn your money.
If you've ever observed how government works, money is often spent on a "who you know" and "who's your buddy" basis. This is what I see at the county level. Spending money in this manner affects everything government does. And the more money government gets, the more that is spent this way and the more it chokes the economy.
Putting money through government is like putting a gallon of gasoline in a 1972 Chevy Impala as opposed to a 2006 Chevy Impala. It is spent more prudently in private hands.
What they also don't get is that the health reform law *allows* insurance companies to raise the premium rates, as long as they can prove it's because they have to pay for that free stuff and the increase in claims.
Wait what

Galion, OH

#6 Dec 8, 2012
You might be interested in watching this.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/201212...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Residents on alert with mass shooting suspect a... 3 min They cannot kill ... 240
Congratulations, Cleveland.. 1 hr Male 22
I (was a lifer) am a Dem and I’m Voting for Tru... 1 hr UTrashy 19
Melania Trump Speech 2 hr They cannot kill ... 131
"Lock Her Up" 3 hr Hillary S Gunt 13
Mystery surrounds sources of many Bill Clinton ... 5 hr Duke for Mayor 41
Hillary = NWO Dirtbag 7 hr Seriouslady 7

Westerville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westerville Mortgages