Groveport Madison, Dublin consider fa...

Groveport Madison, Dublin consider fall ballot issues | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 18 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 15, 2011, titled Groveport Madison, Dublin consider fall ballot issues | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Two Franklin County school districts mulled over plans this week to place tax requests on the November ballot.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Dublinite

Grove City, OH

#1 Jul 15, 2011
I will vigourously campaign against the Dublin levy. They have more money than they know what to do with. Home sales have dropped drastically and home values cut by 50% due to foreclosures. Yes, we have foreclosures. We have 3 high schools, 4 middles schools and 12 elementary schools all of which used federal stimulus money to expand. Teacher salaries are outstanding! At some point in time enough is enough!

Since: Jun 10

Canal Winchester, OH

#2 Jul 15, 2011
Is this increase due to business as usual? Have the districts done some serious cutting in expenses, the same as the public has had to do to themselves?
There should be no sacred cows in the school systems. A lot of spending has been put in place over the years for convenience rather than need.
These school systems really need to show us why they are not asking for a decrease in the levys that these new requests are designed to repolace.
The option not to spend in some areas is an valid option that must be considered.
Mike

Lewis Center, OH

#3 Jul 15, 2011
It's for the kids
Dan

Galloway, OH

#4 Jul 15, 2011
Thanks Kasich for raising our taxes!

(yea he just kicked the can of funding to the local governments... forcing THEM to make the tough decisions he couldn't)

Remember... Kasich increased the General fund spending by 5 BILLION
didn't even slow down entitlement spending (let alone cut it!)
total state spending after all the adds by the house and senate are basically the same as two years ago
he gives hundreds upon hundreds of millions to special interests and corporationgs

all while kicking the tax burden to the locals

AND the joke is conservatives thing he's conservative!

Govern like a liberal...
but yell at unions and they'll think he's conservative!
amazing how easily people are fooled
GrandPa

Nashport, OH

#5 Jul 15, 2011
Tell Dublin Coffman to sell those 25 second clock's at each end of the football field. Only High School in Central Ohio with them, were did the money for this come from???? What did they COST?????. Now the want people to pay $242.00 per 100K for what may be RENTAL CARS FOR THE FOOTBALL COACHES??????.
madmom

Columbus, OH

#7 Jul 15, 2011
no way! who's ever gonna buy a house in Dublin with these outrageous taxes? cut it out.
Parasite Government

Columbus, OH

#8 Jul 15, 2011
Dan wrote:
Thanks Kasich for raising our taxes!
(yea he just kicked the can of funding to the local governments... forcing THEM to make the tough decisions he couldn't)
Remember... Kasich increased the General fund spending by 5 BILLION
didn't even slow down entitlement spending (let alone cut it!)
total state spending after all the adds by the house and senate are basically the same as two years ago
he gives hundreds upon hundreds of millions to special interests and corporationgs
all while kicking the tax burden to the locals
AND the joke is conservatives thing he's conservative!
Govern like a liberal...
but yell at unions and they'll think he's conservative!
amazing how easily people are fooled
Wrong - stop reading your union talking points. Look at the two year budget for 2010-2011 vs. 2012-2013. You have to leave out the more than $5 billion in federal stimulus money that Strickland spent to get to your number.

School districts have the tools available to cut costs - that is what SB 5 is all about. If districts choose to not use them, then maybe they can convince enough morons to vote for their tax increases.

These are the same morons that will vote to overturn SB 5, so when you property taxes go up by $500 a year, put the blame where it belongs.
swshades

Lancaster, OH

#9 Jul 15, 2011
I live in Groveport with a fixed income no kids why should i have to pay for ipods and other things they think these kids need,I can't afford it,but every chance they get they try to shove another down our throats,tell me where does it stop?let the people that has those kids pay for it !!! I don't have any why is it my problem,buy my meds or cut back on food
unfair

Reynoldsburg, OH

#10 Jul 15, 2011
swshades wrote:
I live in Groveport with a fixed income no kids why should i have to pay for ipods and other things they think these kids need,I can't afford it,but every chance they get they try to shove another down our throats,tell me where does it stop?let the people that has those kids pay for it !!! I don't have any why is it my problem,buy my meds or cut back on food
No offense to you, it sounds like you are truly having to make some tough choices. We ALL are having to make some tough choices, but I'm sure someone that's in the exact same situation that you're in paid for things for YOU when YOU were younger and in school. Whether or not you have kids, schools are an investment in your community and an investment in the future of this country... As for paying for "iPods"...well, lets just say that MANY schools are YEARS behind the technology curve. Look at the two school districts that are the subject of this article. What type of technology do you suppose they have in Dublin that they DON'T have in Groveport? To expect students to become competitive in the job market, ALL schools need to have the benefit of new technology.
Concerned Citizen

Reynoldsburg, OH

#11 Jul 15, 2011
A large part of the need for more money is the deep cuts that Kasich made in school funds.
Old Vet

Columbus, OH

#12 Jul 15, 2011
Dublinite wrote:
I will vigourously campaign against the Dublin levy. They have more money than they know what to do with. Home sales have dropped drastically and home values cut by 50% due to foreclosures. Yes, we have foreclosures. We have 3 high schools, 4 middles schools and 12 elementary schools all of which used federal stimulus money to expand. Teacher salaries are outstanding! At some point in time enough is enough!
Hey Dublinite, I'll be glad to help you. Dublin teachers are the highest paid in the area and the schools look like something out of fashion magazines. The school system needs to learn to live within its means before asking for more.
eric

United States

#13 Jul 15, 2011
GrandPa wrote:
Tell Dublin Coffman to sell those 25 second clock's at each end of the football field. Only High School in Central Ohio with them, were did the money for this come from???? What did they COST?????. Now the want people to pay $242.00 per 100K for what may be RENTAL CARS FOR THE FOOTBALL COACHES??????.

You ever heard of boosters? Yeah those football coaches racking in 4000 a year for working an additional 30hrs a week for 15 to 20 weeks.
result of budget

Columbus, OH

#14 Jul 16, 2011
Old Vet wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Dublinite, I'll be glad to help you. Dublin teachers are the highest paid in the area and the schools look like something out of fashion magazines. The school system needs to learn to live within its means before asking for more.
Unfortunately, Kasich's budget has reduced "its means" by millions of dollars. The district is going to have to cut an additional 10 million next school year- and that is BEFORE the levy. This isn't due to excessive spending. And you get what you pay for- all three high schools were rated in the top 300 in the nation by Newsweek! No other Central Ohio Schools were in the top 300. Kids in Dublin are getting a great quality education for your tax dollars.
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#15 Jul 16, 2011
swshades wrote:
I used to live in a state which exempted certain residents from paying school taxes if certain qualifications were met. I don't know why that isn't done here.
Old Timer

AOL

#16 Jul 16, 2011
I was house hunting in the "burbs" with some of my kids who now work in the Columbus area. Home values are much more than other parts of Ohio. We looked at a home similar to mine, and the cost was 50% greater, and taxes paid were double of what we pay. The cost of living seems to be much higher.

Sadly, we are entering a time where the middle class is dying, and the rich do well. This does not bode well for entities that rely on tax dollars for support. The "tools" provided by the governor are simply revenue elimination by the state to force local government , including schools, to vote increases on themselves.

No jobs are forthcoming, and with his new "tools", lay-offs in public sectors will be the result. We have to face the facts that we are really screwed.

The end game will be salary reductions and increased benefit costs to employees rather than employers. This is not mean-spirited, but some hard facts. As for leaving positions for greener pastures, when there is a cash drought, nothing is green. If a school employee leaves, chances are they will be jobless (seriously). Times are tough.
Dave N

Columbus, OH

#17 Jul 16, 2011
Old Timer wrote:
I was house hunting in the "burbs" with some of my kids who now work in the Columbus area. Home values are much more than other parts of Ohio. We looked at a home similar to mine, and the cost was 50% greater, and taxes paid were double of what we pay. The cost of living seems to be much higher.
Sadly, we are entering a time where the middle class is dying, and the rich do well. This does not bode well for entities that rely on tax dollars for support. The "tools" provided by the governor are simply revenue elimination by the state to force local government , including schools, to vote increases on themselves.
No jobs are forthcoming, and with his new "tools", lay-offs in public sectors will be the result. We have to face the facts that we are really screwed.
The end game will be salary reductions and increased benefit costs to employees rather than employers. This is not mean-spirited, but some hard facts. As for leaving positions for greener pastures, when there is a cash drought, nothing is green. If a school employee leaves, chances are they will be jobless (seriously). Times are tough.
I would rather pay higher taxes and live in a better-educated area than stay in one of the union cities that has been obliterated because while the union bosses are promoting SB5, they refuse to acknowledge how many union jobs left the state.
Dave N

Columbus, OH

#18 Jul 16, 2011
Old Timer wrote:
Recently some family members and I went "back home". We were stunned at the level of destruction we saw in northeast Ohio, where Democrats are largely elected every time. It's not just one party versus another anymore.
Intelligent

Pickerington, OH

#19 Jul 19, 2011
eric wrote:
<quoted text>
You ever heard of boosters? Yeah those football coaches racking in 4000 a year for working an additional 30hrs a week for 15 to 20 weeks.
You do realize that is far less than $10.00 and hour, right? I wouldn't call that "raking it in".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ohio School Prayer Ballot Issue Rejected 13 min Hugh Jasol 32
Topix- Stop Removing Threads 25 min Posting as myself 7
Why the British left EU 30 min They cannot kill ... 30
America is doomed. 33 min Posting as myself 4
RIP William Shatner 38 min George Takei 6
Topix Closes Human Sexuality Forums 42 min Ice Man 2
hey now, what is the news on pervert teachers 51 min witness 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westerville Mortgages