Referendum in works to block Walmart

George Hadler, CEO of The Hadler Cos., listens as Westerville resident Jane Charles expresses her approval of Hadlera TMs Walmart plans at the Westerville Square shopping center July 5. Following approval from Westerville City Council last week, redevelopment plans for the Westerville Square shopping center face another hurdle. Full Story
disgusted

United States

#1 Jul 13, 2011
I am considering a lawsuit against this group for violating my right to elect City Council members who will represent me in these types of situations. I did not elect any of these pawns of Target, Kroger and other greedy merchants that pay public relations firms to lie and mislead people about Walmart. Walmart is actually a good neighbor giving much back to the communities where they do business. The liars will not prevail and should pay for their underhanded tactics.
skeptical

Swanton, OH

#2 Jul 13, 2011
I shopped at Scott's Family Center and at TG&Y in that shopping center. I see no downside to bringing the center back to life, and I can't figure out why some Westerville citizens would rather see the center die than have a smaller Walmart there. The businesses already there would benefit from more traffic. I'll shop at Walmart, just as I did at TG&Y and at Lazurus.
Racist Garbage

Westerville, OH

#3 Jul 14, 2011
It's been a disguised "Anti-Walmart" push right from the start. What makes me sick is the racist comments that people are making in regards to "the crime rate, lesser desirables, and problems that are associated with Walmart."

If it were a Whole Foods, The Andersons, etc. would we still be fighting them? The traffic issue is about the only valid point, and that reveals the major issue: would you rather reduce traffic on State Street by leaving the shopping mall vacant, or are you willing to deal with more traffic and a vibrant shopping mall area?
Dave

Columbus, OH

#4 Jul 14, 2011
If you build it they will come, yes people will come to Westerville and shop! They also will stop at restaurants, gas stations, and some even to uptown Westerville as well! This shopping center has been half empty and a eyesore for over a decade and we should be happy to get a store that will serve the community and sell a good prices in our town. Get your nose out of the air and say hello and embrace good prices.....
Happless do gooders

Seymour, IL

#5 Jul 14, 2011
"Treneff said the redevelopment plan does not fit city development standards that call for environmentally friendly designs, pedestrian connections, better connections to surrounding areas, imaginative site and architectural design and more beneficial use of the land."

That is the most anorexic argument I have ever heard. Which enironmental designs and connections is he refering too and are these specifically written in the city codes? He can't come up with anything better because the redevelopment fits the current city codes in this commercial setting.
good riddance

Westerville, OH

#6 Jul 14, 2011
24 hours a day is unwarranted and should never have been voted in. That's the deal breaker for me.
These people aint right

Seymour, IL

#7 Jul 14, 2011
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business...

Here ya go all you Walmart haters...free electricity.

Easton Walmart opens first public stationfor use by drivers of plug-in electric vehicles
Thursday, July 14, 2011 03:07 AM
By Dan Gearino

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
Dave

Columbus, OH

#8 Jul 14, 2011
BTW All of you who are worried about the extra traffic that a Walmart will bring seem to missing the point, that was really decided years ago when the shopping center was first built. With the Walmart the shopping center will still be the same size with same same amount of parking, but now it will be all rented out with stores instead of being half vacant.
Twenty Four Hours

Westerville, OH

#9 Jul 14, 2011
If being open 24 hours is going to be the dealbreaker for some, do they really believe the Walmart will attract more people to it than the nearby Krogers?

I just don't see people flocking to purchase shoes, clothes, etc. at midnight???? Clue me in here about how much business will be conducted at 2:00 a.m.????
CRVP member

Westerville, OH

#10 Jul 14, 2011
Will they really stay open 24 hours a day if there's no business at 3 a.m.? Why pay employees to be there if they're not receiving any profit from those operating hours? It doesn't seem to make good business sense to have a store open, to pay employees to be there, if no one is shopping during those hours.
Dave

Columbus, OH

#11 Jul 15, 2011
CRVP member wrote:
Will they really stay open 24 hours a day if there's no business at 3 a.m.? Why pay employees to be there if they're not receiving any profit from those operating hours? It doesn't seem to make good business sense to have a store open, to pay employees to be there, if no one is shopping during those hours.
It pays because workers are already in the store stocking shelves making displays etc. with self serve lanes and a cashier or two it makes sense just as it does to Meijers and Kroger.
Twenty Four Hours

Westerville, OH

#12 Jul 15, 2011
"It pays because workers are already in the store stocking shelves making displays etc. with self serve lanes and a cashier or two it makes sense just as it does to Meijers and Kroger."

And the world is still turning with Westerville area businesses that are open 24 hrs/day. I don't buy into the local neighborhood issue either considering the Sunbury Woods area has the Krogers right next to it. Is Highland Lakes and the other subdivisions near State/Maxtown trash because of the crowd who enters Meijer at 3:00 a.m.?

Don't think so...
WHS76

Blacklick, OH

#13 Jul 16, 2011
Racist Garbage wrote:
It's been a disguised "Anti-Walmart" push right from the start. What makes me sick is the racist comments that people are making in regards to "the crime rate, lesser desirables, and problems that are associated with Walmart."
If it were a Whole Foods, The Andersons, etc. would we still be fighting them? The traffic issue is about the only valid point, and that reveals the major issue: would you rather reduce traffic on State Street by leaving the shopping mall vacant, or are you willing to deal with more traffic and a vibrant shopping mall area?
There is not a new problem with traffic congestion.
Traffic at the intersection has always been a problem dating back to the seventies.
To me using that(traffic)is a lame excuse.
what planet you live on

Palo Alto, CA

#14 Jul 18, 2011
I laugh at these people who were collecting signatures at Giant Eagle on North State and Polaris this past Saturday. So I guess it was okay to build a shopping center (2) in the back yards of others for their use, but don't do it in their own. HYPOCRITES.... I agree with the comment of electing officials to make these decisions, just as long as they don't go against your beliefs. These old geezers don't have to worry. By the time it's built, YoBama will have wrecked the economy even more, then you'll whine about not have as much in social security to survive. You will need a low cost alternative to over priced Kroger and Giant Eagle.
Cmon man

Seymour, IL

#15 Jul 19, 2011
what planet you live on wrote:
I laugh at these people who were collecting signatures at Giant Eagle on North State and Polaris this past Saturday. So I guess it was okay to build a shopping center (2) in the back yards of others for their use, but don't do it in their own. HYPOCRITES.... I agree with the comment of electing officials to make these decisions, just as long as they don't go against your beliefs. These old geezers don't have to worry. By the time it's built, YoBama will have wrecked the economy even more, then you'll whine about not have as much in social security to survive. You will need a low cost alternative to over priced Kroger and Giant Eagle.
That's funny about the location they chose to collect signatures. I would think their best bet would be to stick to the immediate area around State and Schrock (maybe they are) and the uptown area. I doubt that many up north really care if Walmart goes in on the osuth end or not.
Tyler

Westerville, OH

#16 Jul 19, 2011
disgusted wrote:
I am considering a lawsuit against this group for violating my right to elect City Council members who will represent me in these types of situations. I did not elect any of these pawns of Target, Kroger and other greedy merchants that pay public relations firms to lie and mislead people about Walmart. Walmart is actually a good neighbor giving much back to the communities where they do business. The liars will not prevail and should pay for their underhanded tactics.
You are right, you did elect city officals to make decisons like this. Yet, it is apart of our state constitution that people may take steps to override elected officals decisions when they do not agree. These people are just doing what they believe is right. In addition, if your elected officals voted on genocide would ya join?? I mean your logic says yes.... you voted for them to make the decisions for you! Right?
Cmon man

Seymour, IL

#17 Jul 19, 2011
Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right, you did elect city officals to make decisons like this. Yet, it is apart of our state constitution that people may take steps to override elected officals decisions when they do not agree. These people are just doing what they believe is right. In addition, if your elected officals voted on genocide would ya join?? I mean your logic says yes.... you voted for them to make the decisions for you! Right?
Agreed, but allowing a shopping center to be redeveloped with a walmart cannot be compared to genocide. This is simply an application of an existing code in an existing commercial shopping center, not murder. Although some people would have us believe that it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 4 min Pope Che Reagan C... 4,059
President Ebola 6 min Black Rhino 731
Kaci Hickox : Maine nurse who vows to break Ebo... 2 hr Law abiding citizen 7
Fall SPOOKTACULAR 3 hr They cannot kill ... 5
Autopsy, toxicology report on Michael Brown 4 hr Reality Speaks 287
Second person arrested for South Side homicide ... (Jul '10) 7 hr TRU OR DUNN DUNN 28
Breaking: Second Nurse w/ Ebola flies with 99.5... 14 hr Male 149

Freeze Watch for Franklin County was issued at October 31 at 11:12AM EDT

Westerville Dating
Find my Match

Westerville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Westerville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Westerville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]