lyons, il politics
She back

Chicago, IL

#6829 Mar 20, 2013
Not Too Long Ago wrote:
You all forgot about the $17 Million Dollar Village Hall, Contaminated Quarry, Trying to take property from owners, Lost Tax money by TIF'S, River Walk, Condo's, Visk and company using Village Credit Card to the tune of $27,000.00 for personal trips to Las Vegas, Dentist, Boat Docking, William Tell stays, etc. Open your eyes and remember.
Rather write a book, It could be a Best Seller. Some should have gone to Jail
Vote United Citizen Party All the way.
Nope, but I don't waste my time on the past...especially when the stuff involved was "legal" - if in poor judgement and taste - or happened way past time having tolled for legal action. I do spend my time finding out what promises have been made - under the taxpayers' radar - that may affect the future, such as paying up to 13% interest for $9M borrowed for the oh-so-invisible project of 2010, among other things.

Refinancing debt fixed at 7% to be paid with incremental taxes from the TIFs as they become available into variable rate General Obligation Debt Certificates payable from the corporate funds of the Village, capped at 9% if they remain tax exempt, or 13% if they are determined taxable: what a deal - but not for we the taxpayers. No Henn fingerprints on this one!
Tired

Willow Springs, IL

#6830 Mar 20, 2013
She back wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, but I don't waste my time on the past...especially when the stuff involved was "legal" - if in poor judgement and taste - or happened way past time having tolled for legal action. I do spend my time finding out what promises have been made - under the taxpayers' radar - that may affect the future, such as paying up to 13% interest for $9M borrowed for the oh-so-invisible project of 2010, among other things.
Refinancing debt fixed at 7% to be paid with incremental taxes from the TIFs as they become available into variable rate General Obligation Debt Certificates payable from the corporate funds of the Village, capped at 9% if they remain tax exempt, or 13% if they are determined taxable: what a deal - but not for we the taxpayers. No Henn fingerprints on this one!
So you like "legal" stupidity!!! Nice!!!

True to form, you fail to note that the initial fixed interest rate was 2.75% rather than 7%. And the Village has authorized a bond issue to fix the rate for the remaining term at 2.75%.

Oh those pesky details!!!!
She back

Chicago, IL

#6832 Mar 20, 2013
Andy wrote:
<quoted text>
His debt was paid to society. Everyone knows he was thrown under the bus by Sullivan who is sitting with a nice retirement plan he made himself and a few others...
Thought Sullivan was a retired VOL police officer and as such earned his police pension. Don't love the guy personally - and he detests me - but if that's the retirement plan (plus anything he may have earned from IMRF as a Trustee) you are alluding to, give it a break. BTW, no "everyone" doesn't know...
She back

Chicago, IL

#6833 Mar 20, 2013
Tired wrote:
<quoted text>
True to form, you fail to note that the initial fixed interest rate was 2.75% rather than 7%. And the Village has authorized a bond issue to fix the rate for the remaining term at 2.75%.
Good luck with that in the face of that $2.8M restatement of the General Fund balance, not to mention the $5.2 M variance in the Legal Debt Margin calculation. And let us not forget the pages of 2010 audit findings on material weaknesses and deficiencies in internal control. Interest rates depend ratings based upon, among other things, AFS and financial practices. Restatements, large variances, and unsound practices tend to lower ratings and raise the interest rates, because of higher risk. Oh, those very pesky details!
beware

Forest Park, IL

#6834 Mar 20, 2013
So Who is Going 2Nite wrote:
Who's going to the State of the Village Formal Address from VOL Mayor Christopher Getty?
Tonight, March 20th, 2013 at 7pm
Hope everyone on here goes so we can debate after thoughts..
Thanks for posting. I didn't know anything about it. It's not on Lyons website!
Just Me

Forest Park, IL

#6835 Mar 20, 2013
Tired wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess what she was at the meeting when you stated those facts.
Eye witnesses..

She back

Chicago, IL

#6836 Mar 20, 2013
Just Me wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess what she was at the meeting when you stated those facts.
Eye witnesses..
No S!!T, Sherlock...and at NO time during those meetings in July was the fact that VOL was locked into a variable debt deal in 2010 that capped out interest at 9% or 13% mentioned...nor was there originally a cap or an order of priority in utilizing pledged funds in the July 2012 Ordinance...until the threat of backdoor referendum was raised.

Last I heard or looked, that July refi got as far as bond calls on the publicly traded issues and no farther...So the promised interest rate is just that: a promise and no more...and I am considering the source of that promise, very hard.
Another Stool

Willow Springs, IL

#6837 Mar 20, 2013
She back wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck with that in the face of that $2.8M restatement of the General Fund balance, not to mention the $5.2 M variance in the Legal Debt Margin calculation. And let us not forget the pages of 2010 audit findings on material weaknesses and deficiencies in internal control. Interest rates depend ratings based upon, among other things, AFS and financial practices. Restatements, large variances, and unsound practices tend to lower ratings and raise the interest rates, because of higher risk. Oh, those very pesky details!
All the result of the prior administration led by the Patti's. Since 2009, the debt was reduced by $1.5 million. Even without control of the Village. I bet more recent numbers are better.

Keep barking up the wrong tree with your litter!!!!!
So Who is Going 2Nite

Hillside, IL

#6838 Mar 20, 2013
So just got back from the Mayors Formal Address to Lyons. Chris brought up a lot of interesting facts. A lot of residents are proud of all he has accomplished in the past 4 years. He had HUGE support tonight!! A recent addition was a 115 year old painting of the old Lyons Brewery they dug out of storage and cleaned up. It's a gorgeous 15' x 7' painting displayed right as you walk into the Village Hall. By the way, Patty and Patty sat next to each other holding hands the whole time. When every one stood up to give Chris a standing ovation after his speech Patty and Patty were the only 2 people in a room a of at least 300 that remained sitting. What poor sportsmanship.
Shame

Forest Park, IL

#6839 Mar 20, 2013
So just got back from the Mayors Formal Address to Lyons. Chris brought up a lot of interesting facts. A lot of residents are proud of all he has accomplished in the past 4 years. He had HUGE support tonight!! A recent addition was a 115 year old painting of the old Lyons Brewery they dug out of storage and cleaned up. It's a gorgeous 15' x 7' painting displayed right as you walk into the Village Hall. By the way, Patty and Patty sat next to each other holding hands the whole time. When every one stood up to give Chris a standing ovation after his speech Patty and Patty were the only 2 people in a room a of at least 300 that remained sitting. What poor sportsmanship.
I was there tonight and I also saw that trustee seats were assigned. So, who ever assigned the seats was the one who put them in the second row by themselves. And I don't know where you were sitting but obviously you couldn't see that they DID stand up. They have more class than that. I also saw them shaking hands with their fellow trustees before the speech and applauded during the speech. Don't spread false rumors, please.
So Who is Going 2Nite

Hillside, IL

#6840 Mar 20, 2013
Shame wrote:
<quoted text>
I was there tonight and I also saw that trustee seats were assigned. So, who ever assigned the seats was the one who put them in the second row by themselves. And I don't know where you were sitting but obviously you couldn't see that they DID stand up. They have more class than that. I also saw them shaking hands with their fellow trustees before the speech and applauded during the speech. Don't spread false rumors, please.
I was 2 rows right behind them. They didn't stand. I'm sure if anyone wanted to investigate it, you can find the video tape of tonight's speech or even look at the photo's. Look, that wasn't the main point of my previous comment. The Main point was, that the Mayor had covered a lot of topics. He has been the best thing that happened to this town in a long time. Like he said, For the last 30 years Lyons had not had a 2-term Mayor because the residents have been seeking change. They wanted change so drastically they voted him in at the age of 26 and he was very proud to be given that much trust. He listened to what the residents have been wanting and he made sure key demands were met. He paid off over 5 million dollars of a 30 million dollar deficit the previous parties got us into with out any tax dollars. He's finally looking forward to break the ice and be the change the VOL has been seeking for over 30 years. He's met demands and concerns and he will continue to do so. He started changing the course of Lyons for the better. Through the next term he's already got a plan to clean up Ogden and continue fixing streets and sidewalks. He's making Public Works stronger and keeping things within the Village and not out sourcing to companies saving us money and keeping money in our pocket. Overall, I think it was a breakthrough night for him and all that attended.
Not Too Long Ago

Lyons, IL

#6841 Mar 20, 2013
WTH wrote:
Not Too Long Ago- "Some should have gone to Jail" Not too long ago someone did go to jail - his name was Ken Getty.
Wrong again. Ken Getty was getting too close to the Quarry issues. They had to get rid of him for the plan to take place. Too bad. The wrong man went to jail. I know of 5 that could have gone. Corruption at it's finest.
Not Too Long Ago

Lyons, IL

#6842 Mar 20, 2013
She back wrote:
<quoted text>
Refinancing debt fixed at 7% to be paid with incremental taxes from the TIFs as they become available into variable rate General Obligation Debt Certificates payable from the corporate funds of the Village, capped at 9% if they remain tax exempt, or 13% if they are determined taxable: what a deal - but not for we the

taxpayers. No Henn fingerprints on this one!
What was the cost of the contaminated land and the purchasing of the Reliable property to build the Big White Elephant ????
Not Too Long Ago

Lyons, IL

#6843 Mar 20, 2013
<quoted text>
I was 2 rows right behind them. They didn't stand. I'm sure if anyone wanted to investigate it, you can find the video tape of tonight's speech or even look at the photo's. Look, that wasn't the main point of my previous comment. The Main point was, that the Mayor had covered a lot of topics. He has been the best thing that happened to this town in a long time. Like he said, For the last 30 years Lyons had not had a 2-term Mayor because the residents have been seeking change. They wanted change so drastically they voted him in at the age of 26 and he was very proud to be given that much trust. He listened to what the residents have been wanting and he made sure key demands were met. He paid off over 5 million dollars of a 30 million dollar deficit the previous parties got us into with out any tax dollars. He's finally looking forward to break the ice and be the change the VOL has been seeking for over 30 years. He's met demands and concerns and he will continue to do so. He started changing the course of Lyons for the better. Through the next term he's already got a plan to clean up Ogden and continue fixing streets and sidewalks. He's making Public Works stronger and keeping things within the Village and not out sourcing to companies saving us money and keeping money in our pocket. Overall, I think it was a breakthrough night for him and all that attended.
I never saw them stand up. Nor did I see them put their hands together to clap. I loved the evening. Our Mayor has class. The picture made the night. We have a Winner .
beware

Forest Park, IL

#6844 Mar 20, 2013
Was going to watch the speech but it wasn't televised! Flyers were posted at businesses that it woild be. Why wasn't it?
OMG

Forest Park, IL

#6845 Mar 20, 2013
It is so sad to see someone personally attack candidates with vicious lies, hurting their families, their children. I am glad the 'Patti' party hasn't stooped to such a degree. While the UCP is busy calling residents, asking them why they have a 'Patti' sign up on their lawn and threatening them that their baseball group will 'feel' it because of their sign, I know who I'm voting for and it won't be the threatening party or the party that slanders people and their family whether on this gossip page or in person. You're missing the point.......where's the budget? where's the TIF report? where's the $300,000 'borrowed' from the water fund? I work hard for my money, just paid my real estate taxes a couple of weeks ago and want to know where my money is going in this village.
30 Year Resident

Hillside, IL

#6846 Mar 20, 2013
Not Too Long Ago wrote:
<quoted text>
What was the cost of the contaminated land and the purchasing of the Reliable property to build the Big White Elephant ????
The land was donated for free to the Village of Lyons. The Police Department was contracted out to a buddy of Visk. The Condo's on Ogden were also put up by Visk with the same contractor. They also were about to rip up Smith Park to build more Condo's, but as soon as Chris got in office he saved Smith Park and killed the deal. The contractor no longer had funds to complete the project because Visk could no longer fund him through village money.
30 Year Resident

Hillside, IL

#6847 Mar 20, 2013
OMG wrote:
It is so sad to see someone personally attack candidates with vicious lies, hurting their families, their children. I am glad the 'Patti' party hasn't stooped to such a degree. While the UCP is busy calling residents, asking them why they have a 'Patti' sign up on their lawn and threatening them that their baseball group will 'feel' it because of their sign, I know who I'm voting for and it won't be the threatening party or the party that slanders people and their family whether on this gossip page or in person. You're missing the point.......where's the budget? where's the TIF report? where's the $300,000 'borrowed' from the water fund? I work hard for my money, just paid my real estate taxes a couple of weeks ago and want to know where my money is going in this village.
Oh please, like they would waste their time worrying about that. Come on, we all know there is only 6 VIP signs in Lyons and those are the people running for office.
30 Year Resident

Hillside, IL

#6848 Mar 20, 2013
beware wrote:
Was going to watch the speech but it wasn't televised! Flyers were posted at businesses that it woild be. Why wasn't it?
There was Flyers that were passed out from over 120 businesses in Lyons. I got mine from the Citgo on 47th and Lawndale. The information was in the Des Plaines Valley News.. a free newspaper to the residents of the Village of Lyons. It includes lot's of info and coverage of current local events in the Village and surrounding suburbs. It's free to subscribe. Just visit the Village Hall. You can also subscribe at the Village Hall to receive your free subscription to the news paper that let's you know when all village meetings are scheduled. You can also find out any information you need at the Village Hall. The Flyers were available there too.
beware

Forest Park, IL

#6850 Mar 21, 2013
30 Year Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
There was Flyers that were passed out from over 120 businesses in Lyons. I got mine from the Citgo on 47th and Lawndale. The information was in the Des Plaines Valley News.. a free newspaper to the residents of the Village of Lyons. It includes lot's of info and coverage of current local events in the Village and surrounding suburbs. It's free to subscribe. Just visit the Village Hall. You can also subscribe at the Village Hall to receive your free subscription to the news paper that let's you know when all village meetings are scheduled. You can also find out any information you need at the Village Hall. The Flyers were available there too.
I knew it was last night. My question is...WHY WASN'T IT TELEVISED ON CHANNEL 6 for us to watch???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Back door deals 5.0 17 min Outraged Rat 32
How many are Running for School Board!!!! (Jan '15) 30 min Rat Mouth Mary 53
corruption in the building 21.0 3 hr res 1
Ron Serpico vs Ron Serpico for Mayor 4 hr Observant Eye 1
Gnomes at my door, OH MY! (Apr '12) 9 hr Oh Amanda 22
Moody and Madigan Poitics Hitting Hard in Chica... 10 hr Go Moody 38
Elected the Independents 4/4/2017 16 hr More Results Lies 2

Westchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance