abc

Chicago, IL

#6545 Mar 4, 2013
Questions
Riverside, IL
|Report Abuse
|Judge it!
5 hrs ago Judged:
She Back needs to be honest. Chris Getty did not gain control (and responsibility) of the Village operations until May 2011. This is after contracts were extended at favorable rates. Also, the powers in control were the ones who failed to file the 2008 and 2009 TIF audit reports, not the Village President.
And you are concerned about the 18 pages of audit findings? Who found those? According to Wolf and Co, "these entries (the audit findings) were determined by both the consultant (hired by President Getty) and our firm."
And these errors were extraordinary. Almost $1 million in debt compared to a contrived $2 million surplus by the previous party!!!!
Thanks to Mayor Getty and his supporters, the truth has been finally revealed. I just hope it is not too late to fix the mess caused by predecessors including Mayor Getty's opponent!!!!
our firm?????????
On the Net

Forest Park, IL

#6546 Mar 4, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Check the Village web site before you spew false info.
http://www.villageoflyons-il.net/Departments/...
Thank you for the update.
SORRY

Forest Park, IL

#6547 Mar 4, 2013
WTH wrote:
If Davidowski Hall is unsafe for occupancy how can we be holding recreation programs there? Isn't that a huge liability for the Village? Not sure how far tort immunity would go if the Village officials are aware of the unsafe conditions.
Now you have the point of the comment!!! Congrats to you since some of these people just don't get the point. Davidowski Hall was deemed unsafe for occupancy a couple of years ago, the ceiling/sky was falling! Those of us who had been in there, knew it was an old building but certainly not falling down and we were right, it's now open and functioning just fine.
SORRY

Forest Park, IL

#6548 Mar 4, 2013
Questions wrote:
She Back needs to be honest. Chris Getty did not gain control (and responsibility) of the Village operations until May 2011. This is after contracts were extended at favorable rates. Also, the powers in control were the ones who failed to file the 2008 and 2009 TIF audit reports, not the Village President.
And you are concerned about the 18 pages of audit findings? Who found those? According to Wolf and Co, "these entries (the audit findings) were determined by both the consultant (hired by President Getty) and our firm."
And these errors were extraordinary. Almost $1 million in debt compared to a contrived $2 million surplus by the previous party!!!!
Thanks to Mayor Getty and his supporters, the truth has been finally revealed. I just hope it is not too late to fix the mess caused by predecessors including Mayor Getty's opponent!!!!
You are kidding aren't you? I thought Prez.Getty was elected in 2009? The '09 TIF report couldn't be filed until the budget was done and approved, oh yeah, that's right, Lyons hasn't had a budget for four years, how could they have TIF reports/meetings? But then, let's face it, Prez Obama hasn't had a budget for four years, only spending, Prez Getty follows suit........it must be the 'new deal' with the parties in charge of Washington and Lyons, not having budgets, just spending, wish I could do that but I'd lose my house in a split if I didn't pay taxes and only went to the mall spending!!!!!!!!!!
She back

United States

#6549 Mar 4, 2013
Questions wrote:
You want honesty? Here it is:

The (maybe)$2.8M variance in the General Fund balance kinda pales beside the $5.2M variance in the Legal Debt Margin on page 49 of the 2010 Audit (page 58 of the pdf, if you obtained your copy via FOIA from the Illinois Comptroller's Office. Adding nearly $60M in exemptions to inflate EAV - and therefore the legal debt limit - so that it appears to the uninformed that VOL had a debt margin of $4.8M when in fact it was $445K + over the limit...I'll leave it to you to describe that...but it sure does leave all of the other "adjustments" open to question until the underlying documents that support them come to light.

2008 TIF Reports should have been completed June, 2009. 2009 TIF reports should have been completed June 2010. Who was Village President then? Why didn't he address the importance of getting the reports done, in full and on time? As I recollect, he sure wasm't shy back then about advocating borrowing $2.9 M. But as for expressing concern for the ongoing failure of the vOL to meet annual financial reporting requirements...I do not recollect hearing one word from him about that, until the Comptroller's office gave our town a "come to Jesus" moment last fall.

Yes, the VOL books weren't what one could call immaculate back then, but they sure appear to be in worse shape now. And there is black and white evidence that Getty offered the position of Finance Director to Denys back in June of 2009...he must have had some power to do that, don't you think?

And I just love the answer VOL manangement gives numerous times to findings about deficiencies in internal controls: But Lyons is a small town...The Library is smaller than the Village, but THEY don't seem to have such great difficulties in managing their books and finances. Is there a lesson to be learned here?
well well well

Forest Park, IL

#6551 Mar 4, 2013

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

She Back wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if they are "retreads" from the past (or connected to it - or them) trying desperately to re-package themselves while hoping and praying that the public forgets that they and their buddies are the reason VOL is in the shape it is.
well well well

Forest Park, IL

#6552 Mar 4, 2013
yes lets go back to the same people who destroyed this town because now they renamed their party.if the people are fooled by them we will be bankrupt in no time.they misstated financial records, hired bartenders and hacks to run departments and the patties looked the other way.they want villagers to think its a new party. its same old players who keep changing party name to confuse us.i could never forgive them for spending 17 mil. on a project that should have cost us 5 mil.then hid the facts and shuffled dollars around to confuse us. they will never deserve another chance in my mind no matter what they name their party.i have no love for ken but chris has made hard decisions and brought this town back from dead in 2 short years. he deserves our support
She back

United States

#6553 Mar 5, 2013
What hard decisions has Getty made, pray tell? He had his chance back in June of 2009 to serve the people of Lyons rather than "da boyz", and I think we all know what choice he made. And as far as bringing this town back from the dead: LOL.

Once again:$7M borrowed in 2005 after a referendum +$5M borrowed in 2007 + the $2.9M Getty borrowed July 1, 2009 (not all of which was for the Village Hall/Community Center/Police Station, if you would bother to read the Official Disclosure on that debt) does NOT equal $17M. If you had learned arithmetic, you would know that the most it cost - following the money - would have been just under $15M.

But wait! What about the $2.5M +$400K + an unspecified amount of the $2.9M mentioned before park? How much should THAT have cost?

You are entitled to your own opinion , as are we all, but not your own facts. And as far as hiding things and shuffling dollars around to confuse, UCP wins the poster child award for that. I'd be very careful about allegations concerning mis-stated financial reports at this stage of the game, given the evidence thus far. In only one instance is it compelling, and that has nothing to do with any prior administration. As for the rest, who knows if the so-called mistatements are real until the underlying documents are examined to determine if they support all of those adjustments.
Also, was information on "private" debt hidden (kept off the books), then voila! revealed when it became politically expedient...or unavoidable?

As far as hiring practices go...once again, the results speak for themselves.

Sorry, but I happen to believe that VIP, which is a coalition of folks from many past administrations, is the best hope we the taxpayers have right now, and you are very welcome to disagree. Just keep your arguments honest, please...or expect to be refuted, every time.
WTH

Hillside, IL

#6554 Mar 5, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Check the Village web site before you spew false info.
http://www.villageoflyons-il.net/Departments/...
It was not "false information" until just the past few days. Wonder if it could be that the States Attorney was investigating the village for violations of FOIA and OMA violations that pushed them to post the information they are required to? Funny how having someone looking over your shoulder can make you look honest - at lest until they stop looking. Lets see how long this "open and honest" act plays. And, BTW, why did it take 4 years for this to be done? Don't pretend that this is some sudden act of openness on Getty's part.
Vetting Time

Forest Park, IL

#6555 Mar 5, 2013

Just for starters..How many thousands of dollars did one particular VIP candidate receive after he/she sued the Village of Lyons?

WTH

Hillside, IL

#6556 Mar 5, 2013
Vetting Time wrote:
Just for starters..How many thousands of dollars did one particular VIP candidate receive after he/she sued the Village of Lyons?
Don't know, but if the person was awarded monetary compensation, then it was the village at fault.
Curious

La Grange Park, IL

#6557 Mar 5, 2013
WTH wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not "false information" until just the past few days. Wonder if it could be that the States Attorney was investigating the village for violations of FOIA and OMA violations that pushed them to post the information they are required to? Funny how having someone looking over your shoulder can make you look honest - at lest until they stop looking. Lets see how long this "open and honest" act plays. And, BTW, why did it take 4 years for this to be done? Don't pretend that this is some sudden act of openness on Getty's part.
Again, it was false information when you posted.

And what are your financial credentials? CPA, CFA, Village "*******"

It takes more time to clean up a mess than to either create it or do it right. Burying the $800,000 deficit created by your candidate, imagine how bad things would be if Chris did not get control of the spending.

And VIP or whatever controlled the Village operations until May 2011. You forgot that they took away Chris's powers and ignored him. So it has been less than two years to clean up years of mess.

Get your facts right.
Vetting time

Forest Park, IL

#6559 Mar 5, 2013
Thee things cannot be hidden:

The Sun
The Moon
The Truth

Francine

Forest Park, IL

#6561 Mar 5, 2013

I understand your frustration, and I also know what losing loved
ones feels like. Sure everyone alive knows the grief and lingering
sadness that can accompany the loss. In your case, it must haunt
you morning noon and night. The entire story has to be a nightmare.

But, the only thing I could say is that I knew both of your parents,and on many occasions while visiting with my late dear friend, your Mom and Dad would come into the shop tell me how wonderful her children were. She spoke of how good they were and how proud she was of them. I attended your late sister's wake. I too, lost a sister. Not that long ago, my Mom, Dad and brother died, all within 11 months..thought the world had ended. Grief is so real when you love so strongly.

I moved here 34 years ago and remember all of the Babich children.
Remember when you lived on the corner of Joliet Ave and Ogden..and
how the boys would practice boxing in the garage.

You and your entire siblings were not only nice but so good looking..each and everyone of you. When I told your Mom that, one
afternoon, both she and your Dad looked at each other and smiled so humbly.

It is difficult to put words onto feelings that somehow don't do
justice to your circumstances, but after reading countless postings,I just had to relate my memories of your parents.
Knew your Mom loved flowers and arranging them. She told me on
more than one visit that she would have liked to own a little flower shop.
May you find a little comfort in this message.
May you find some peace and just a small amount of solace that
their memory is not lost but cherished in those that knew them.

Justice1313

Forked River, NJ

#6562 Mar 5, 2013
Francine wrote:
I understand your frustration, and I also know what losing loved
ones feels like. Sure everyone alive knows the grief and lingering
sadness that can accompany the loss. In your case, it must haunt
you morning noon and night. The entire story has to be a nightmare.
But, the only thing I could say is that I knew both of your parents,and on many occasions while visiting with my late dear friend, your Mom and Dad would come into the shop tell me how wonderful her children were. She spoke of how good they were and how proud she was of them. I attended your late sister's wake. I too, lost a sister. Not that long ago, my Mom, Dad and brother died, all within 11 months..thought the world had ended. Grief is so real when you love so strongly.
I moved here 34 years ago and remember all of the Babich children.
Remember when you lived on the corner of Joliet Ave and Ogden..and
how the boys would practice boxing in the garage.
You and your entire siblings were not only nice but so good looking..each and everyone of you. When I told your Mom that, one
afternoon, both she and your Dad looked at each other and smiled so humbly.
It is difficult to put words onto feelings that somehow don't do
justice to your circumstances, but after reading countless postings,I just had to relate my memories of your parents.
Knew your Mom loved flowers and arranging them. She told me on
more than one visit that she would have liked to own a little flower shop.
May you find a little comfort in this message.
May you find some peace and just a small amount of solace that
their memory is not lost but cherished in those that knew them.
*** Dearest Francine, Today, YOU are my blessing from the Holy Father. Your kind words and tender heart is most appreciated. I am so sorry for the loss of your loved ones. My beloved parents raised their children to fight for those who can't fight for themselves. I have spent the last 17 years fighting for many who can't speak for themselves because someone robbed them of their lives. My children are cut from the same cloth as their parents. My children are also the best of all their grandparents, on both sides of the family tree.* It is sinful that my biggest obstacle IS the LEVEL of CORRUPTION in HIGH PLACES. Everyone is covering their associates back in order to protect themselves from CRIMINAL CHARGES. The lack of "good people" choosing to be a part of the SOLUTION, is the other half of the problem. I leave both obstacles to my GOD. He is in charge of RETRIBUTION.
Francine

Forest Park, IL

#6564 Mar 5, 2013
Sure our paths will cross again..like they did
so many years ago. God's blessings be with you and your loved ones.

Snow is really coming down here..big time !
Vetting Time

Forest Park, IL

#6565 Mar 5, 2013
She back wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, it's in black and white...Mr. Denys was offered position of Finance Director by Getty in June of 2009. Like I mentioned before, he must have had some power to do that. BTW, why WAS he engaging in private lil' conversations with MR. Denys way back then...did he have the advice and consent of the Village Board to do that? Or was it being done, as it were, behind their backs? BTW, what exactly are Mr. Denys' accounting or GFO credentials?
As far as that deficit - considering the $5.2 M "deficit" in the 2010 VOL Legal Debt Margin (meaning we went over the limit by $445,000 plus), without the underlying documentation on all of those adjustments, I'll reserve MY judgement...and taking away Getty's powers? Poor baby. Nope, NOT like happened to Marie. Not at all.
And as for taking time to clean up any messes, if VOL had propmtly completed their financial and TIF rporting in full and on time, instead of delaying and delaying for multiple years, this might not be such an issue now. Not filing the reports on time almost makes me curious as to whether there was something to hide...
He has credentials ...do you ?
She back

United States

#6566 Mar 5, 2013
Yes, Austin Meade Financial is registered as a Municipal Financial Advisor (K0481) for now...pages 4 & 5 of the pdf linked below defines what that entity does:

http://msrb.org/msrb1/pdfs/MSRB-Letter-to-SEC...

According to the Illinois Depatment of Professional Regulation, neither Mr. Denys nor Mr. Getty nor Mr. Marcet is a LICENSED CPA, legally entitled to practice what the state defines as public accounting. The Government Financial Officers Association does not list him as a member nor as having completed GFO CEU.

Would you hire a rocket scientist to pilot the commercial jet you're going to be flying on without determining that they in fact were qualified to fly?
NALA

Chicago, IL

#6567 Mar 5, 2013
still applies four years later...

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. I know my town of Lyons has not perfected itself. At times, we've struggled to keep the promise of liberty and equality for all of our people. We've made our share of mistakes, and there are times when our actions around the world have not lived up to our best intentions. It took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get to where we are today, but we have just begun. Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. My parents shared not only an improbable love, they shared an abiding faith in the possibilities of this nation. They would give me an African name, Nala, or successful, believing that in a tolerant America your name is no barrier to success. There is not a liberal America and a conservative America - there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and latino America and asian America - there's the United States of America. This is the moment when we must come together to save Lyons. Let us resolve that we will not leave our children a town where the rivers rise and famine spreads and terrible storms devastate our lands. Today we are engaged in a deadly town struggle for those who would intimidate, torture, and murder people for exercising the most basic freedoms. If we are to win this struggle and spread those freedoms, we must keep our own moral compass pointed in a true direction. We have an obligation and a responsibility to be investing in our students and our schools. We must make sure that people who have the grades, the desire and the will, but not the money, can still get the best education possible. We need somebody who's got the heart, the empathy, to recognize what it's like to be a young teenage mom, the empathy to understand what it's like to be poor or African-American or gay or disabled or old - and that's the criterion by which I'll be selecting my officials. We need to steer clear of this poverty of ambition, where people want to drive fancy cars and wear nice clothes and live in nice apartments but don't want to work hard to accomplish these things. Everyone should try to realize their full potential. Change has come to America. Change has come to Lyons. In the end, that's what this election is about. Do we participate in a politics of cynicism or a politics of hope?

As an 18 year old African-American girl who attends Morton West High-School, I am a believer of change. I speak amongst my fellow peers, white, black, blue, red, 5 years old or 50 years old. Disabled or not disabled, gay, straight, skinny, fat, short or tall- My heart, My Vote, My Future is with the United Citizens Party.
change is coming

Berwyn, IL

#6568 Mar 5, 2013
You have to love a snow storm that is if you're Chris Getty because everytime a village public works plow comes down the street with his name adorning the sides of it in big blue letters its free (well actually taxpayer funded) political advertising for mayor Getty (he's actually a village president). It must be nice to splash your nameon some (taxpayer funded) village vehicles and show off your name to all the prospective voters in town especially those that don't get involved in town politics and no verylittle about the candidates. I do wonder though when Mayor Getty (actually President) loses on April 9th will he reimburse the village for the money, tie, and effort to remove his name from all of the public works trucks???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chicago Ridge Watch channel 9 tonight at 9pm 2 hr Blah blah 112
fire tokar 2 hr It is what it is 50
Chicago Ridge Village Board 2015 (Apr '14) 6 hr Senior needs a hug 100
who is THE U? (May '10) 13 hr be better 278
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! (Nov '13) 13 hr family friend 1,472
Elmhurst Police can go suck a.... (Oct '09) 15 hr Elm Res 32
Homeless in Downers Grove (Nov '08) Fri sad 59
More from around the web

Westchester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE