FRANCINE

Forest Park, IL

#6003 Dec 10, 2012
How much money does the ``Lyons Library`` have in
reserve and who has done their accounting for all these years?

Not fair to cast aspersions on the Finance Director
and Trustee for the Village of Lyons, especially
when these questions were addressed last week
and no one from the Library could answer them.

The Library Treasurer was also in attendance.

What

Forest Park, IL

#6004 Dec 11, 2012
FRANCINE wrote:
How much money does the ``Lyons Library`` have in
reserve and who has done their accounting for all these years?
Not fair to cast aspersions on the Finance Director
and Trustee for the Village of Lyons, especially
when these questions were addressed last week
and no one from the Library could answer them.
The Library Treasurer was also in attendance.
Wow, a gov agency that has the fiscal restraint to accumulate a reserve, which is considered good accounting and financial practices. How much does the village have in reserve? and how do we afford $24,000 a year for a writer when the village is broke?
She Back

United States

#6006 Dec 11, 2012
(35 ILCS 200/18-50)
Sec. 18-50. Filing of budget and appropriation ordinance. The governing authority of each taxing district shall file with the county clerk within 30 days of their adoption a certified copy of its appropriation and budget ordinances or resolutions, as well as an estimate, certified by its chief fiscal officer, of revenues, by source, anticipated to be received by the taxing district in the following fiscal year. If the governing authority fails to file the required documents, the county clerk shall have the authority, after giving timely notice of the failure to the taxing district, to refuse to extend the tax levy until the documents are so filed.

I am having a little cognitive dissonance here:

If we didn't have a budget passed for 2012, how could our Village submit a certified copy of the aforementioned budget ordinance/resolution to the county clerk, as required by the Illinois Property Tax Code? What did we file? And if VOL didn't - or doesn't - file the required documents by the deadline, why were we - or in future tense - should be be billed for taxes (i.e. have the tax levy extended)? Is it Writ of Mandamus time? Think a Foia to David Orr's Office may be in order...
FRANCINE

Forest Park, IL

#6007 Dec 11, 2012
FRANCINE wrote:
Please address your information to the public..and
leave me out of the picture.
Call the Village Hall with your complaints. I am not
interested.
that matter was in regard to the DesPlaines Valley News..not
the Library..here we go again.....

District or No District ...tell the public where you stand on this
issue.
Dont Count On That

Riverside, IL

#6010 Dec 11, 2012
She Back wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but bears repeating...especially after the page flip courtesy of F's re-direct. And was authorization of a $24,000 media contract/agreement even permissible, if at the moment in time, there were no funds budgeted for it?
Heard you were running for Village Board. So why not Library Board. Seems as if you are well informed. Or just trying to fool the public. You can't know everything. No one does. Oh, sorry, one person does. That is GOD.
She Back

United States

#6011 Dec 11, 2012
How exactly would I being fooling the public by posting the Illinois Statutes? Certainly I don't "know everything"; would have never dreamed that a tax levy extension could be challenged until I was told so by the County Clerk's office. And then, when I checked out the Property Tax Code portion of the Illinois Statutes, what to me wondering eyes should appear...Does that mean you don't thank me for sharing???

Chicago, IL

#6012 Dec 11, 2012
I moved here in 2009 and don't quite understand the political scene in town yet.

I can't seem to find answers to some environmental things that have really been irking me lately, maybe someone here can help...

1. What is the extremely loud whistle that I'm hearing every night?(it's definitely not a train but I don't remember hearing in the last few year UNTIL Ocober of this year, 2012)... It keeps waking my baby! It sounds like a reed whistle and the sound lasts for a long time, sometimes a couple minutes straight with no relent.

2. If the quarries are no longer operational, why are there still blastings sounds/booms and tons of trucks around all the time?

3. Also, when I bought my house in 2009 all of the ceilings were flat but now they are all cracked and bumpy.... My neighbors tell me that the quarries are in fact operational AND digging underneath all of the surrounding properties... Is this true? Are our properties sinking like my neighbors suggest?

4. When I look on google maps, why does it look like the McCook/Hodgkins quarries are filled with a toxic looking liquid (are they fracking there)?

5. Why is there often an extremely strong sulfur smell in my neighborhood... makes me want to vomit!

6. What can ou tell me about the new park next to the town offices... I'm told they were built on reclaimed landfill property? At they safe?

I like the new park, my house has gone up in value,my taxes are down but the issues I mentioned are extremely bothersome!
wondering

Forest Park, IL

#6014 Dec 12, 2012
She Back wrote:
Information from Budget "workshop" last night:
On April 21, 2009, the VOL Board voted to change the budget process, placing responsibility for preparation of the annual VOL budget and submission to the Board for approval upon the Village Manager.
So if the annual budget for any year since then was not prepared in time for the Village Board to pass the budget ordinance/
resolution before the levy deadline, any failure to do so would rest solely with the Village Manager.
Remember, the Illinois Property Tax Code requires that a certified copy of the budget ordinance/resolution be submitted to the county clerk along with a certfied copy of the appropriation (levy) ordinance/resolution and certified estimate of revenue for the following year in order to extend the tax levy for the following year.
Since you were there at this meeting, is it true that the ONLY elected officials present at this important meeting were Clerk Campos and the three trustees; Wisneski, Krueger, & Alonzi? MIA= Grace, Echevera, Machiori. NOT EVEN OUR MAYOR WAS THERE?
Curious

La Grange Park, IL

#6016 Dec 12, 2012
According to the Cook County Clerk, Lyons Library levied $638,905 for 2011 taxes. They requested the Village to levy $750,000 or 18% more than 2011. I think the Village to comply with the law reduced the 2012 levy to $675,000 or so. I wonder who is challenged?
She Back

United States

#6017 Dec 13, 2012
Curious wrote:
According to the Cook County Clerk, Lyons Library levied $638,905 for 2011 taxes. They requested the Village to levy $750,000 or 18% more than 2011. I think the Village to comply with the law reduced the 2012 levy to $675,000 or so. I wonder who is challenged?
That is NOT what the ordinance passed on the 6th of December states. And I'm a bit confused - not to say that, because the County is a year behind in tax year being levied - what year is being referred to in your post. Because yes, the amount the Library collected in 2011 represented an 18% increase in the amount collected in 2010; however, the if the amount currently requested (levy of 2012 property taxes) was ALREADY reduced by the VOL and complied with the law, then WHY was Trustee Grace advising the Village Board to vote down the library levy?

Based on results of my FOIA request, VOL may have MUCH bigger worries about tax levies than the library does at this moment in time.
FRANCINE

Forest Park, IL

#6018 Dec 13, 2012

The one thing I did hear from Mr. Grace was,
they haven't raised our taxes..forget all the rest!
Good

United States

#6019 Dec 13, 2012
Dont Count On That wrote:
<quoted text>
Heard you were running for Village Board. So why not Library Board. Seems as if you are well informed. Or just trying to fool the public. You can't know everything. No one does. Oh, sorry, one person does. That is GOD.
Hooray!!!!!!!
She Back

United States

#6020 Dec 13, 2012
FRANCINE wrote:
The one thing I did hear from Mr. Grace was,
they haven't raised our taxes..forget all the rest!
Link below is to Cook County Clerk's website, where any one can access tax rates for all taxings districts & schools; the page describes in detail the tax extension process. Just because the levy does not increase does not mean the tax rate will not increase (especially if, for example, you neighbor manages to get their assessment lowered by a third and you do not. Who do you think makes up the difference? hint, hint: tax rate has to increase to achieve the levy)

http://www.cookcountyclerk.com/tsd/extensions...

To save time for the interested members of the public, here are the tax rates for the VOL and the VOL library fund taken from the County Clerk's report (which you can verify using the web address above)
2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004
VOL 1.832 1.382 1.634 1.310 1.410 1.431 1.395 1.916

Library 0.334 0.252 0.243 0.240 0.254 0.228 0.214 0.242

Now, the big jump in tax rates in 2011 just may be due to the decrease in market and assessed values finally captured in the triennial re-assessment.(Didn't bother to check) Anyway, rates for the VOL were high in 2004, dropped and remained fairly stable from 2005 - 2008, increased in 2009 (those were taxes we paid in 2010), dropped in 2010, and jumped again for tax year 2011. The library fund rates remained fairly constant until 2011, when it sharply increased (by essentially the same percentage as that of the VOL, surprise!)
FRANCINE

Forest Park, IL

#6022 Dec 13, 2012
She Back wrote:
<quoted text>
Link below is to Cook County Clerk's website, where any one can access tax rates for all taxings districts & schools; the page describes in detail the tax extension process. Just because the levy does not increase does not mean the tax rate will not increase (especially if, for example, you neighbor manages to get their assessment lowered by a third and you do not. Who do you think makes up the difference? hint, hint: tax rate has to increase to achieve the levy)
http://www.cookcountyclerk.com/tsd/extensions...
To save time for the interested members of the public, here are the tax rates for the VOL and the VOL library fund taken from the County Clerk's report (which you can verify using the web address above)
2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004
VOL 1.832 1.382 1.634 1.310 1.410 1.431 1.395 1.916
Library 0.334 0.252 0.243 0.240 0.254 0.228 0.214 0.242
Now, the big jump in tax rates in 2011 just may be due to the decrease in market and assessed values finally captured in the triennial re-assessment.(Didn't bother to check) Anyway, rates for the VOL were high in 2004, dropped and remained fairly stable from 2005 - 2008, increased in 2009 (those were taxes we paid in 2010), dropped in 2010, and jumped again for tax year 2011. The library fund rates remained fairly constant until 2011, when it sharply increased (by essentially the same percentage as that of the VOL, surprise!)
Then we will join the rest of the world and go "over the cliff"
all together.

Not worried ..
Thank You

Woodridge, IL

#6023 Dec 13, 2012
The Village Of Lyons is lucky to have two of the finest people whom I have ever had to chance to meet. This couple have some of the most compassion I have ever witnessed. My entire family would like to thank you for taking time out of your lives and schedules for our family. Thank you for making time for us, and thank you for hearing our story without passing judgement. We would like to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas from our entire family. Happy Holidays.
Humbled

Forest Park, IL

#6024 Dec 14, 2012
Thank you for the kind words. They will be our
most precious gift this holiday season.

Your entire family is to be admired. To stand strong
for each other in a time of need is what counts.
Family united is something that is missing in this society and in our workplace.

May God's blessings be with you this holiday season
and may you all have a Merry Christmas.

You are not alone !
Francine

Forest Park, IL

#6025 Dec 14, 2012
For over 35 years, I have been concerned for the
safety of our schools and public offices.

In light of the senseless and tragic massacre of children and teachers in Newton, Conn., I sincerely hope that the members of District 103 board re-evaluate school security issues.

Cameras, extra security officers, sophisticated locking devices and extremely strict rules be put into place immediately, so we can assure the community that everything is being done possible to protect the children and entire staff .

For now, the only thing we can say is that the families of this horrible and unthinkable crime find some sort of comfort in knowing that we care and share in their sorrow. There are no words !
JUST ME

Forest Park, IL

#6026 Dec 15, 2012
FRANCINE wrote:
<quoted text>
Then we will join the rest of the world and go "over the cliff"
all together.
Not worried ..
You should be worried, just because the rest run naked down Ogden, do you? Not me.
JLS

Forest Park, IL

#6027 Dec 15, 2012
Francine wrote:
For over 35 years, I have been concerned for the
safety of our schools and public offices.
In light of the senseless and tragic massacre of children and teachers in Newton, Conn., I sincerely hope that the members of District 103 board re-evaluate school security issues.
Cameras, extra security officers, sophisticated locking devices and extremely strict rules be put into place immediately, so we can assure the community that everything is being done possible to protect the children and entire staff .
For now, the only thing we can say is that the families of this horrible and unthinkable crime find some sort of comfort in knowing that we care and share in their sorrow. There are no words !
My heart goes out to the people of Newton, Connecticut, I can't even begin to imagine what they feel. As far as School Dist. 103 Board of Ed, I have served on it for 33 years and security, ever since the Laurie Dann shooting, has been a top priority for 103. When the Dann episode unfolded 103 met asap to set in place locked doors at all of the schools. Since then, we not only have locked doors but the only entrance people can get in during school hours is front doors. All schools, there is a security area between the entry to the building and the entry into the school itself. All schools, people need to be buzzed in. All schools have cameras at the entrance so that the office can see who they are buzzing in. All visitors must sign in and obtain visitor passes. All visitors are briefly screened to see what their business is in the school. George Washington Middle School has security cameras inside and outside the entire building with new cameras ordered for the new expansion area. 103 is once again reviewing their security policies to see what, if anything else, can be added/done. 103 just had a safety meeting to review procedures a couple of weeks ago with village law enforcements in 103. Please give us your suggestions, we are always open to the the public for their comments. Our flags fly at half mast, set in place before Prez Obama requested it. Our hearts break and our prayers go to the people of Newton, there are no words to say, only prayers. God Help these people and hold their babies.
Francine

Forest Park, IL

#6028 Dec 15, 2012
We need a resurgence in Federal Grant programs
to re-evaluate school security issues.

http://www.thegranthelpers.com/blog/bid/10506... .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
chuck tokar MAYOR 16 min Just the thought 48
R.McScambell ,Sean Sullivan, Serpico 10 hr James 7
McScambells Blog Sucks! 10 hr James 5
Nonna Reinforces Stereotypes 13 hr WILDBILL 4
Villa Park man indicted in DuPage drug-related ... (Mar '08) 15 hr nico 45
Fagiano Diapers? (Mar '14) 18 hr big Tony 6
Terry and little league again 18 hr Roxanna Jiggles l... 3
Westchester Dating
Find my Match

Westchester Jobs