What happened to the Hillside Shoppin...

Since: Feb 12

Oak Brook, IL

#529 Jun 20, 2014
"I can always see that this area is being ruined everyday by the influx of Chicago Minorites.Berkeley Park is being over ridden by them.I used to have a hobby watching the old CA&E and Chicago Great Western Railroads being developed into something useful for people.Now look what has happened there is trash strewn everywhere and crime is on the rise.The people of East Elmhurst blame the Village of Berkeley and are angry and are selling their homes because of this Government Irresponsibility."
Not to beat a really dead horse but Scrubber is right on about that one. The townhomes on the west side of the 294 on Electric Ave are becoming a bit colorful and the people of Elmhurst are not happy about it. Butterfield Road west of the 294 has many houses for sale to York Rd. The people of Elmhurst are moving west down St Charles. They keep raising the taxes and Elmhurst incorporated all of the unincorporated areas. They built silly Mcmansions on small lots during the boom, closed Celozzi Ettleson and moved Elmhurst Memorial Hospital over to York and Roosevelt. I looked at houses in Eldridge Park and said no after seeing how many hood rats were buying gas and smokes at the Shell at Butterfield and Spring. I'm sorry but I'm not spending $350,000 to not feel safe. The mall at 31st and Wolf is empty except for Paul's Pizza and the Salvation Army thrift store. They are building another store to replace the closed Dominick's but I don't know when that will open. The only place for people in the old hood to shop was there and the Jewel at Butterfield and York plus there is a Moo and Oink type store in Berkeley Square. Talk to your friends who are left and I think they will say the same thing. It really has gone way downhill.
Scrubber59

Westchester, IL

#530 Jun 20, 2014
High on a Hillside wrote:
"I can always see that this area is being ruined everyday by the influx of Chicago Minorites.Berkeley Park is being over ridden by them.I used to have a hobby watching the old CA&E and Chicago Great Western Railroads being developed into something useful for people.Now look what has happened there is trash strewn everywhere and crime is on the rise.The people of East Elmhurst blame the Village of Berkeley and are angry and are selling their homes because of this Government Irresponsibility."
Not to beat a really dead horse but Scrubber is right on about that one. The townhomes on the west side of the 294 on Electric Ave are becoming a bit colorful and the people of Elmhurst are not happy about it. Butterfield Road west of the 294 has many houses for sale to York Rd. The people of Elmhurst are moving west down St Charles. They keep raising the taxes and Elmhurst incorporated all of the unincorporated areas. They built silly Mcmansions on small lots during the boom, closed Celozzi Ettleson and moved Elmhurst Memorial Hospital over to York and Roosevelt. I looked at houses in Eldridge Park and said no after seeing how many hood rats were buying gas and smokes at the Shell at Butterfield and Spring. I'm sorry but I'm not spending $350,000 to not feel safe. The mall at 31st and Wolf is empty except for Paul's Pizza and the Salvation Army thrift store. They are building another store to replace the closed Dominick's but I don't know when that will open. The only place for people in the old hood to shop was there and the Jewel at Butterfield and York plus there is a Moo and Oink type store in Berkeley Square. Talk to your friends who are left and I think they will say the same thing. It really has gone way downhill.
Mr Hillside you are always right,We are doomed living in this area.The Feds made a bad choice when they targeted this area to redistrict these schools.They ruined what our Parents had worked so hard for after World War II !
Scrubber59

Westchester, IL

#531 Jun 20, 2014
Try busing these nuckle heads to Western Springs & see what happens.I had watched a School in Downtown LaGrange just off Harris Ave.It looked like a normal School called Sunnyside filled with children that I went to in Berkeley when I was a child;Berkeley was an all American Community of educated White Children not loser minorities.This "No Children Left Behind" Bullshit Law should be abolished period.You just cannot teach these low class people anything period This is one of the tragic Laws that George Bush Jr. enacted just to burn & lower the status & the well being of the middle class of America.

Oak Brook, IL

#532 Jun 21, 2014
I don't think that's going to happen for two reasons. First there is no way in hell that Western Springs is going to allow that. There is way too much BIG money in that area to let that happen. Second, I went to a car show/Summer fest Eve event last night. The mayor and his wife of a neighboring town and the ex mayor of another neighboring town were there. I'm not mentioning any names but there are only so many towns that butt up against Hillside. Anyway I brought up The Hillside Elementary School closing and only the wife had even remotely heard of it. She said it was a rumor but said the same thing I did. There is no For Sale Sign and they are not actively knocking it down. So either I have the super early scoop (unlikely) or Hillside Elementary is staying open (likely). Never again do I read something on Topix posted as real news and take it as fact. Basically Jimmyguitar that ones on me for not verifying. I also found out that St. Dom's is renting out classrooms as offices and that was a surprise to me. Look when I went to MacArthur for 8th grade we had one black kid in 79-80. He was cool. Then PW in 1980 and I swear a bunch of my class did not come back for the 1981 school year. Their parents put them in private schools. It was already out of hand and they had just redistricted the year before my class were freshman. A HUGE part of the problem lies in the attitude of the people and it passes on to the kids. We used to hang out with some of the black people my age in Bellwood. Most of our parents didn't like it but they were moving in, like it or not. We were a bit more open minded then our parents. Then something happened in the early 90's. Most of the families moving in, combined with white flight changed our neighborhood forever. These new people felt that they had a sense of entitlement. The kids were out of control and what went from a neighborhood where you just walked into your friends houses became a neighborhood where the doors started getting locked. Places started getting robbed and in 1994 when my neighbors were shooting about 100 rounds in the air on New Years Eve I was like it's time to move. I moved in early 1995 and plenty of my friends stayed just to watch it go steadily down hill. It will be 20 years next year and I have two friends who still live in Berkeley. They hate it but cannot move. Like many I blame HUD and the FHA. Did they honestly think that knocking down the projects was going to make for a better way of life for the people? No, these people are still lazy bums and all they did was wreck the suburbs. My cousin in the city said it best years ago when he said "coming soon to a town near you". Truer words were never spoken, what may seem racist is really the truth. If you could sit on your ass all day and have your house paid for with a section 8 voucher, get a free cell phone, get all kinds of assistance would you? That's a lot of our old stomping grounds. Most of these people won't work, don't want to and have nothing wrong with them to prevent them. They have no pride or motivation. Bolingbrook went from a nice place to a ghetto. Lakewood Falls in Plainfield is a section 8 ghetto. You see it's not just our old stomping grounds, it's everywhere. Is it racist? No. Is it true? Yes. Unmotivated people who live for free on the taxpayers dime. Yet people wonder why Illinois is 48th soon to be 49th fiscally. This topic has been on this forum many times. The truth of the matter is some of the people come across as racist. They aren't, they are just fed up.
WayBack

Indianapolis, IN

#533 Jun 21, 2014
Scrubber59 wrote:
I can remember a long time a go when it was Christmas time in the 1960's when we were all just kids & the Hillside Shopping Center was quite new....I have an old picture of myself sitting on Santa Claus's lap just outside of Woolworth's.This was my fondest memories of the Hillside Shopping Center as a young boy of 5 years old just wishing for a Lionel Train Set from Santa Claus......The only place that sold Lionel Trains was Dispensa's Toy City......before the Dispensa's Castle of Toys was built!
Here's a fun site to reminisce:
http://www.dispensaskiddiekingdom.com/Before_...
Hillside elementary

Mildmay, Canada

#534 Jun 21, 2014
WayBack wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a fun site to reminisce:
http://www.dispensaskiddiekingdom.com/Before_...
Great post. The radio jingle was apparently pounder into us. I haven't heard that in 40+ years and find myself singing it from wrote.
Bellwood Mike

Matthews, NC

#535 Jul 14, 2014
Wow, great to walk down memory lane. I grew up in Bellwood in the 60's and 70's and have great memories of the Hillside mall, like buying Beatles and Stones records from Goldblatt's record dept and also the caramel corn store. Was a GREAT area and the people there were the best. It's so sad to see Bellwood now. I went by St. Simeon's church to show my kids. It was locked, lol.
Alan G

Bolingbrook, IL

#536 Jul 18, 2014
I can remember... seriously... my mother pushing me in my stroller under the night sky before they put the roof on the shipping center. The annual carnival on the east side parking lot near Sandy's Hamburgers. And fireworks on the fourth of July in that lot too. Ali and Frazer closed circuit tv at the theatre. The Lep Zep song remains the same movie in 75. Dog and Suds where the bank is... or was. Giant Triangular neon sign on top of Dominicks and Guido's. Pretzel neon sign at the theatre... my landmark lights westbound on our way from grandma's on the Eisenhower from the city. Union 76 gas station near Goldblatts. The Hillside bowling alley... my hangout in high school. Provide west my beloved high school. Ha yeah right. I can go on and on. That area of hillside is a big part of my childhood. Hillside was a proud town... To bad times change...
Bellwood since 84

Villa Park, IL

#537 Jul 24, 2014
FOR THOSE WHO WANT THE REAL REASONS THE OLD HILLSIDE MALL DIDN'T MAKE IT.
1.) IT WAS OLD.
The mall opened in the mid 50's by the end of it in the mide 1990's bigger, and or better malls existed all around this area.
North Riverside Mall
Winston Plaza
A shopping center in North Lake
Oak Brook Center
Those malls were bigger, nicer and had more and better stores. They were built by learning from the mistakes of Hillside Mall.
All these malls serve the same people who live in Hillside, Bellwood, and Berkley now. Thus proving it's not a matter of bad minorities or whatever.
2.)IT WASN'T A GOOD LOCATION
Thanks to the landfill the whole area stank to high heaven especially on certain days. Now that the fill is closed and capped it's not so bad but I'm sure those not from the area smell it at least a little.
The expressway did not have an off ramp right there so access to all the commuters was cut off . THE DEATH KNELL WAS THE CONSTRUCTION DONE TO CORRECT THE "HIiLSIDE STRANGLER". After that there was no good way to get to the old mall from 290.
3.)THE HIGH SCHOOL KIDS WERE KEPT OUT.
As someone else put it in about 1984 they turned the place into a prison. Long LONG before it became majority black or even a large number black this started and by mid - late 1990's it was done. You had to show ID all the time. All exterior doors were locked, even the doors to the court yard were locked and I never saw anyone even walk across it. EVERYONE wanted to go to the food court to eat something but we could not go there for lunch even.(I could go out for lunch at Lincoln Elementary school in third grade but not in 9th grade at PW.
The Highschool kids could not spend their lunch money there so the food court withered gradually.
4.) CERTAIN BUSINESSSES DON'T WANT TO SERVE BLACK PEOPLE FOR RACIST REASONS.
Up until the mid 1990's the black people moving in were like my family. My father is a doctor my mother is a nurse. I am now a college professor and I take care of them. Many families were like that. My best friends mother was a postal worker. Professionals and business owners could afford these houses.
In the mide 1990's there was an influx of people from the projects however by that time IT WAS TOO LATE FOR THE MALL SINCE IT WAS TOO FAR GONE ALREADY.
THE TRUTH IS SOME PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO SAY YES SIR/MA'AM TO A BLACK PERSON.
Example, Do those of you who live in the area remember there was a Quiznos in the location where there is now a Subway in Westchester?
We people in Bellwood noticed they would not send coupons or doorhangers to our area but al around in Hillside and Westchester. The problem is in that location most of the people nearby are in Bellwood. So they withered and died. We now have three Subways and Mr Submarine.
A similar story happened with Boston Market which was where Family video is now on Roosevelt road.
When black people move in, even if they are of a good class by objective measures, certain businesses move out.

Oak Brook, IL

#539 Jul 24, 2014
I will agree and disagree with you on your points:
1) Yes it was old but North Riverside is just as run down as The Hillside Mall. They are having BIG issues right now with the same points you bring up. They don't want a bunch of teenagers wilding at their mall. They card people at the door and if you are not 18 and don't have a guardian, no go.
2) The landfill really did not affect the mall after it was opened in 1980. The prevailing wind blew the smell towards Bellwood. The Hillside Strangler fix did not occur until the mall was already dead. The only thing left was Menards.
3) I don't remember in 1984 the mall becoming a prison. The food court was a bad idea based on other malls successes with them. Then they realized that they were hang outs for gangs. Ford City and Louis Joliet Mall learned this the hard way. Shootouts when you were trying to eat?
4) As much as you would like to believe that businesses were being racist to people, in business there is only one color, green. Most of my friends parents owned businesses in the area and were on the Chambers of commerce's. They didn't care if you were purple as long as your money was green. Yes there was a HUGE influx of people from the projects in the 90's which led to a huge white flight. Like I have stated I did not move until my neighbors were shooting pistols in the air like a bad action movie in 1994-1995. This was outside my bedroom window. Mr. Submarine has been in Bellwood since the owner Gus bought all of the closed Jack in the Boxes. That happened in 1983. Then the first Subway showed up across the street when they were expanding. Quiznos is just a bad business idea and they are all closing. My friend lives in Buffalo Grove and his Quiznos has closed. I live right by a Boston Market and they do very little business. Overpriced, just OK food will never succeed whether it is subs or chicken.
I am not condemning all of the people who live there now. There are some cool people but there are a lot of people who are basically just living off of the government. Just so you know I ate at Mickeys yesterday, National hot dog day. The hotdogs tasted the same to me as they have for 35+ years.
Basically it is a different area now, that's all. A different type of people.
What I do not understand is why PW is so bad. We never had class sizes that small and the test scores are abysmal. By the way the dump still has a slight stink to it even though it's capped. I notice that if I get caught at the light on Mannheim.
Basically the mall was doomed. It was old but it wasn't because the businesses were racist to people. Money is money. It was the fact that there was no business. People were going to Yorktown and Oak Brook.
Basically no businesses that people shop at moved in when the others moved out. Gold blatts left to replaced by a Zayre and that whole chain went out of business in 1990. The Secretary of State even moved out but they had a Subway. A Menards and Subway were not going to keep the Hillside Mall going. There is where we agree, it was far too late by the mid '90s to keep it going. Now it's an empty lot.
StarMountainKId

Sioux City, IA

#540 Aug 27, 2014
DOROTHY wrote:
HERE'S A BLAST FROM THE PAST. ANYONE REMEMBER NIXON COMING TO HILLSIDE SHOPPING CENTER BY HELICOPTER. Do you remember Stricklands and Krogers grocery stores. How about that monorail in the mall for a while. Toy Town, Klines sporting goods, And who could forget Burney Brothers, Bakers who are particular. I loved that mall.
Yes, I even shook Nixon' hand!
Mrsjean

United States

#541 Aug 27, 2014
WESTSIDE wrote:
IT'S ALL BLACKS NOW, AND YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN BLACKS GET THERE HANDS ON THINGS...(THINK OF WHAT OBAMA IS GOING TO DO)
What the heck are you talking about Westside? It's not the blacks destroying your village it's ignorance you bring to the neighborhood that tears it down. Try working and getting along with your neighbors and see better.
Really

Bellwood, IL

#542 Aug 30, 2014
Mrsjean wrote:
<quoted text>
What the heck are you talking about Westside? It's not the blacks destroying your village it's ignorance you bring to the neighborhood that tears it down. Try working and getting along with your neighbors and see better.
I think it means you are quoting a post that was made almost 6 years ago. Westside could be dead by now. By the way the blacks have already destroyed the village, they don't work and rob the people who do work houses when they ARE at work. These villages have been long destroyed. The ignorance was brought by the dope slinging section 8 gangsters. If I don't smoke crack, then I'm not going to get along with my neighbors.
Bill

Sandwich, IL

#543 Sep 1, 2014
Yup, I now deliver parts for trucks in the neigborhoods of Bellwood, Berkley, and Hillside. I grew up in Bellwood in the 50's and early 60's. The area is sadly very bad now....very bad. Nothing more need be said.
suzy

Chicago, IL

#544 Sep 2, 2014
There was Bonds mens clothing store near the east end of the mall. My uncle worked there.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#545 Sep 2, 2014
suzy wrote:
There was Bonds mens clothing store near the east end of the mall. My uncle worked there.
My Dad and I shopped there
SCRUBBER59

Westchester, IL

#547 Sep 5, 2014
These minorities have ruined Berkeley,I had a lot of friends here now I cannot trust my own neighbors!
Scrubber59

Westchester, IL

#548 Sep 12, 2014
What Happened to the Berkeley Forum subject What Happened to the Hillside Shopping Center? Why was it removed? Many People have fond memories that they would Love to share.
Scrubber59

Westchester, IL

#549 Sep 12, 2014
Mrsjean wrote:
<quoted text>
It will never happen around here.I have already tried it & it just not does work.This area will never be the same.
ZizzyBalubah

Chicago, IL

#550 Sep 21, 2014
Joan Bari Bag's was a store that had purses and jewelry boxes and they sold 14K gold jewelry, they had a permanent sign that advertised 50-70% off! The woman that ran the store was ancient and didn't like customers very much.
I also remember 2 ladies that worked at the candy counter in Goldblatts. One had pink hair and the other blue.
I loved the jeans store. Why don't we have stores like this anymore?? Great selection there!
The dog patch had the best chili-cheese dogs ever.
Sal's Finer Foods always smelled like someone died in there.
The theater had a smoking section smack dab in the middle of the theater!
They put a Women's Workout World right in the middle of the food court!
So many memories there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gang stalking 1 hr Common Sense 9
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 2 hr Common Sense 8,799
Review: Asset Recovery Associates ARA Inc 3 hr Marlene 39
Tokar Fest 2017 5 hr PBRAMF 7
News 15 Wounded In Tuesday Shootings Across Chicago 12 hr bozo 1
# Wild Bill Revealed # 18 hr Archangel 1
Edward Moody (Jul '12) 20 hr The 111th Street ... 115

Westchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance