What happened to the Hillside Shoppin...

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#306 Mar 22, 2013
Closest Jack in the Box I know of is in Litchfield, Illinois. About 30 miles South of Springfield, Il on I-55.

Yep, two tacos 99 cents

Since: Feb 12

Oak Brook, IL

#307 Mar 22, 2013
So I guess I'm not the only one who was jonesing for my Jack in the Box fix. Its just funny that What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas doesn't apply to Jack in the Box. The most decadent city in the US and we are at Jack in the Box. I will double down and have two for 99 cents.
Scrubber59

Westchester, IL

#308 Mar 22, 2013
BellwoodT wrote:
<quoted text>
That dime store was the best Tim. I bought my first album from there, those monster "Aurora" brand models of Frankenstein, Wolf Man, Phantom of the Opera...etc.......wish I never blew them up with firecrackers! Oh yeah and don't forget the Odd Rod monster card stickers. I used to go to the corner drug store on the SW corner of St. Charles and Mannheim for the Mad magazines. Slide down the side of Mannheim bridge in winter, search for conetop beer cans in the railroad yards. Fun times.
Hi everyone,The Variety Store at the southwest corner of Mannheim & St. Charles Roads was known the Bellwood Variety Store,we had to buy our Proviso West Gym Class Clothes there during the 1970's.My late Father also purchased some Chicago Blackhawk's uniform items there such as jersey's and other items for me as a young teenager during the early 1970's when Bobby Hull & the rest of the Hawks used to live in this area when things were good. There was also Enid'S Drug Store On the corner of Mannheim & St. Charles Roads.A small Burney Brother's Bakery Store was also located on the East side of that small strip mall shop facing Mannheim Road,I can still remember seeing a Wedding Cake in the window when I was a Kid.During the 1960's Enid's Drug Store was the only place you could take your Kodak Photographic Snapshot Film to be sent out for development in this area,it took over 2 weeks to get it returned to you just for black & white photos to be developed! What the Hell has gone wrong with this picture? It is far beyond a Kodachome Photo of this area that I fondly remember!

Oak Brook, IL

#309 Mar 22, 2013
Tax Payer for Years I don't doubt that Senos had 30 lanes but what other bowling alley was on St Chas next to a creek? I'm thinking it had to be Senos. I spent more time at the bar then bowling. It was a place where a lot of people that I knew hung out around 1990. We did very little bowling and a lot of drinking. It was Arts with bowling to us.
BellwoodT

Oswego, IL

#310 Mar 23, 2013
High on a Hillside wrote:
Super Tacos from Jack in the Box! They closed everything East of the Mississippi and it became Mr. Submarine. They all did. Anyway the first time I went to Vegas the cabbie at McCarran asked me which hotel? I said take me to the closest Jack in the Box. He looked at me like I was nuts. It is across from UNLV. He pulled up to the drive through with my window and I ordered 5 Super Tacos. Then off to The Mirage. I was like can you check me in faster please? Off to my room, grabbing a Coke from the machine in the hallway. Like a crackhead I sat in my room and ate my Super Tacos. That's what you go to Vegas for, Jack in the Box. I'm pretty sure the bowling alley was Senos. The Purple Martin is now a Speedway.
That's it...Super Tacos! Thanks....funny story High on a Hillside.
Lenny from Boeger

Beverly Hills, CA

#311 Mar 23, 2013
Bowling? Let's hear some Eden Lanes memories.
BellwoodT

Oswego, IL

#312 Mar 23, 2013
Taxpayer for years wrote:
<quoted text>Seno's had 30 lanes
Thanks Taxpayer for years. I don't remember them havng that many lanes but ok. Yes, that was the name...Seno's. There was a creek next to it. Thank you!
BellwoodT

Oswego, IL

#313 Mar 23, 2013
Scrubber59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi everyone,The Variety Store at the southwest corner of Mannheim & St. Charles Roads was known the Bellwood Variety Store,we had to buy our Proviso West Gym Class Clothes there during the 1970's.My late Father also purchased some Chicago Blackhawk's uniform items there such as jersey's and other items for me as a young teenager during the early 1970's when Bobby Hull & the rest of the Hawks used to live in this area when things were good. There was also Enid'S Drug Store On the corner of Mannheim & St. Charles Roads.A small Burney Brother's Bakery Store was also located on the East side of that small strip mall shop facing Mannheim Road,I can still remember seeing a Wedding Cake in the window when I was a Kid.During the 1960's Enid's Drug Store was the only place you could take your Kodak Photographic Snapshot Film to be sent out for development in this area,it took over 2 weeks to get it returned to you just for black & white photos to be developed! What the Hell has gone wrong with this picture? It is far beyond a Kodachome Photo of this area that I fondly remember!
Thanks Scrubber59! Awesome..how can you remember this stuff?...lol. Bellwood variety store and Enid's! I remember in Enid's they had one of those tube testers you could plug in a radio or television tube for testing. Bellwood variety store..what a great place that was. Didn't remember buying proviso West gear there though. Went to Jefferson grade school, MacArthur Jr. High before Proviso West. Frequented the Burger King and Jewel food store down the street. I'd purchase comics from a vending machine in the entry way of the Jewel and had contests with friends and brothers who could eat a Whopper with the least amount of bites...I did it in 3...lol.I also remember the Bank of Bellwood behind Enid's. I remember getting 5% interest a year on your savings account there. Those were the days!

Oak Brook, IL

#314 Mar 23, 2013
Eden's Lanes: Arggh! Still upsets me to this day. They had a 4AM liquor license. I'm with a bunch of friends and we all stumble out of there. My car, which was a year old was SMASHED. Like Animal House smashed, Dean Wormers wife crashing at the frat house. To this day have no idea how anyone could get up enough speed in their lot to do that much damage. My one friend who was notorious for his one liners was like looks your car looks a little F***ed up. I was screaming my car! What the F***! I couldn't even drive it. I couldn't even get into the drivers side. The windows were broken and the door was not going to open. Filing a police report at 4:30 in the morning while obviously drunk is no fun. 22 years old and 4 years of payments left. Fat,drunk and stupid is no way to go through life except I wasn't fat. Other than that, had some fun times there.
BellwoodT

Oswego, IL

#315 Mar 23, 2013
Randolf Pool and freeze pops were it.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#316 Mar 23, 2013
Tax Payer for Years I don't doubt that Senos had 30 lanes but what other bowling alley was on St Chas next to a creek? I'm thinking it had to be Senos. I spent more time at the bar then bowling. It was a place where a lot of people that I knew hung out around 1990. We did very little bowling and a lot of drinking. It was Arts with bowling to us.
Seno's hosted many leagues in the area. American Can Co in Maywood bowled weekly and filled all the lanes. I used to go there with my Dad in the mid 50's

Oak Brook, IL

#317 Mar 23, 2013
Scrubber 59 is right on. I was the class of '84 at West and during registration I'm pretty sure they gave us a paper saying go there to buy your Gym clothes. I remember buying a PW Panthers bag also. The reversible shirts, shorts and a jockstrap that nobody wore. Without these items you will not be allowed to participate in PE. Big deal, half of my class was so stoned that volleyball was just silly in the field house. A bunch of Zombies. All you had to do was tip the ball over the net. I bunted my way to a homerun when we got outside because nobody even really bothered to field the ball. One girl did and I screamed at her as I was coming at her telling her I was going to run her over. She just dropped the ball. PE was basically just a joke until Sophomore year. Then we had to run a mile in the field house and your time determined your grade. Next semester swimming which was pretty bizarre. I have no idea what the running laps around the pool naked after the girls went into their locker room was all about. Anyone else have to do this or was it just my class? Very strange.
BellwoodT

Oswego, IL

#318 Mar 23, 2013
Scrubber 59 is right on. I was the class of '84 at West and during registration I'm pretty sure they gave us a paper saying go there to buy your Gym clothes. I remember buying a PW Panthers bag also. The reversible shirts, shorts and a jockstrap that nobody wore. Without these items you will not be allowed to participate in PE. Big deal, half of my class was so stoned that volleyball was just silly in the field house. A bunch of Zombies. All you had to do was tip the ball over the net. I bunted my way to a homerun when we got outside because nobody even really bothered to field the ball. One girl did and I screamed at her as I was coming at her telling her I was going to run her over. She just dropped the ball. PE was basically just a joke until Sophomore year. Then we had to run a mile in the field house and your time determined your grade. Next semester swimming which was pretty bizarre. I have no idea what the running laps around the pool naked after the girls went into their locker room was all about. Anyone else have to do this or was it just my class? Very strange.
Naked swimming! What was up with that? Maybe it was the coach? I had coach Green...i think?....lol.

Oak Brook, IL

#319 Mar 23, 2013
Taxpayer for years: your right, there is a Jack in the Box down there. I went to their website and put in Illinois and it said the closest one is 101 miles away in Imperial, Mo. Then you click on the map and shows one a little west of Litchfield, IL. There are a bunch in Indy also. I was told that they closed down everything East of the Mississippi. Just goes to prove don't listen to everything you are told even if came from some employee in Vegas. I'm not driving down there for tacos though. Maybe if I'm close I will go out my way. By the way all the stories of me hanging out at the local bars was just a phase in my early to mid 20's. It's not like I was a drunk or anything. It was just that phase you go through when you are finally able to hang out in bars legally. They changed the law on us. At 16, couldn't wait until 19 to drink beer and wine legally. I think I was 17 when they changed it to 21 for any alcohol. So at 21 we all went a little nuts. It was still the days when the Hillside PD would walk through Arts just before closing and if you were to drunk to drive home and had no ride they would take you home. It wasn't about money then, it was about people getting home safely and nobody getting hurt. A different world now though. DUIs are huge revenue makers. To make it clear to everyone, I was young and stupid. I do not advocate driving drunk. I never got in any trouble and was very lucky.

Oak Brook, IL

#320 Mar 23, 2013
Bellwood T, It wasn't naked swimming. It was after swimming and when the girls left it was like strip and run 3 laps around the pool. I can picture the coach but for the life of me cannot remember his name. I'll have to dig out my yearbooks. It was defiantly the coach. Its not like anyone got fondled but it was not right. Swimming was fun until the end of class, then it got very strange.
BellwoodT

Oswego, IL

#321 Mar 23, 2013
Our class had to swim naked at Proviso West.
BellwoodT

Oswego, IL

#322 Mar 23, 2013
Of course it wasn't a co-ed male and female class.

Oak Brook, IL

#323 Mar 23, 2013
We had co-ed. You had the girls who were having their monthly visitor and they had to sit in the bleachers and write papers. It was kind of funny because a few of these girls wrote papers the whole semester. I think they had self esteem issues. You also had kids who did not know how to swim at all. They sank. Whoever our perv coach was would be like could you go get him to the side of the pool? I mean I could see swimming naked if it was a same sex class. I will never understand having to take our trunks off and run around the pool three times. We would be late for the next class and the girls would be on time. We would get written up. Nobody said anything to the dean because it was all just too weird. Maybe somebody did, I don't know. I know it never stopped. Nobody said anything about Mr. Beck and he was insane. Getting hooked up to a generator and getting volts for being late? The later you were the more volts. This has been discussed in this forum before. One guy still has burn marks on his hands. We were his last students. He was on the brink of total madness. There were kids smoking cigarettes and joints by the widows and he just didn't care. We brought in a stereo and cranked tunes. It was more of a party then class. He even watched this fight which started in our class with smack talking and ended up with someone being beat down with their own boot in the hallway. He just walked away after he saw who came out on top.
Scrubber59

Westchester, IL

#324 Mar 23, 2013
Poor Mr. Beck the Proviso West Electronics Teacher, what a misguided sole.I had him for 2 years during the 1970's & it is totally true that he would hook up up to the DC bench power supply if you were late,your 1st offense got you 80 volts & each time you were late he would raise the voltage by 10 volts.One guy in my class was up to 150 volts & he did have burns on his fingers on both hands.Another guy was up to 130 volts & he tried to bribe Mr.Beck by sliding a $5.00 bill under the door from the classroom hallway.All of the fun came to an end when he tried to hook up a Black Kid to the power supply for his late penalty sometime during the 1980's after the integration BS was started.From what I heard, the kids Parents threatened to sue Mr. Beck & the school.I don't know if Bruce Beck had a job after that.When I had him in the 70's, I had seen a six pack of Wurtzburger Beer in one of his desk drawers that he was hiding,he may have been drinking on the job!
BellwoodT

Oswego, IL

#325 Mar 23, 2013
Mr. Beck..."Listen up sweet cherubs!" yes, remember the if you're late voltage. Our class was pretty decent to him. Altough most of the time I was never in class and off to Hillside mall. Then the truent officers in their big red suburban style trucks would come pick us up and bring us to the dean. Later after seeing us out of class so much, they just let us go. I think I was one of the first guys with a car stereo that had a one button pushed 40 watt booster...lol. Wearing my high heeled gummy platforms and bell bottoms, would drive away blasting the stereo as much as it could handle without cutting off in my girlfriends Maverick...lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll What about the loss of Elliott's Dairy? (Mar '10) 3 hr Louise 53
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! (Nov '13) 3 hr RIP 1,613
who GEORGE SCHLEYER? (May '12) 7 hr platform 54
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 10 hr Profits Over Lives 8,967
pete venute Fri WILDBILL 24
News Dr. Les Golden is Charged by Oak Park Park's wi... (May '09) Fri uhhhhh 5
News I'm mad -- I got Berwyn's $100 camera traffic t... (Feb '12) Fri Biffmontoya 38

Westchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westchester Mortgages