Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#243 Dec 26, 2012
Bellwood Memories wrote:
I definitely remember the Enco and "Put a Tiger In Your Tank" - Do remember the Sinclar Gas Station on the corner of St.Charles and 51 ST. Ave.? It then became Quint's Standard Gas Station in the mid to late 60's.
Thanks for the info on Tahitian Treat I remember the name now that you mentioned. Boy, a lot of time has passed!
Used to get Ginsu knives with a gas fillup.....Can i check your tires and oil, for ya?...lol...Wash your windshield?
Dean H

Canyon Country, CA

#244 Dec 26, 2012
I forgot about Carrolls. I barely remember that place. And do you remember the Stickland's grocery store that was there way before the Dominicks store went in? I remember it was a big deal when that Dominick's was built there. I also remember when they built the Bank of Hillside. Don't know if the bank is still there. Probably long gone now.
Dennis M

Minneapolis, MN

#245 Dec 31, 2012
I just happened upon this blog tonite and have found it quite interesting. I lived in Hillside from when I was born in '60 until 1995, going to both St.Dom's(which is now closed except for kindegarten) and PW. I was on the fire dept. until 1995 and still have several good friends on the job there. I get back thru town several times a year as I live in MN now but work for a south suburb based company. Everyone is right, the town has changed dramtically over the years but what area hasn't? Fortunately my mom sold the house in '05 when home values were still thru the roof. Compared to some other town's Hillside and Berkeley, while not the towns of our youth are still relatively clean and well kept with most homes seemingly being taken care of. But as a few of you have pointed out the memories of being in that area in that era are unforgettable. I'm sure I would know quite a few of you who have posted on here.
Doug Crespo

Chicago, IL

#246 Feb 1, 2013
marie wrote:
i loved the caramel corn store they had there, just loved the smell of it when i walked in the mall
So awesome! I loved that smell
don

Durango, CO

#247 Feb 1, 2013
This blog is great - I check in from time to time. I grew up on Arthur ave in Berkeley in the 60's. My parents bought the house new in '59. I've actually got a pic of her and my uncle in front of it when it wasn't quite finished.

I had a great time growing up in the berkeley area, with so may other kids our age on each of the blocks around arthur. We had a pretty strong identity tied to each of our 'blocks', and we all had fun rivalries among the different neighborhoods. Snowball ambushes/fights were common in the winter. And of course I really remember the winter of '67. What a great time to be a kid there. I remember all of it - The Hillside mall, the railroad yards & 'hobos', St Doms, etc. it was a great place to grow up...
Rob

Girard, OH

#248 Feb 19, 2013
Wow, ran across this great blog. Brings back plenty of memories. Grew up in Bellwood near Randolph and 52nd then we moved east of Mannheim in the early 70's. My Mom never forgave my Dad for wanting to move only to have the neighborhood change 5 yrs later. West of Mannheim stayed nice for quite a while after that. Hillside Mall was a great place, favorite thing was having a hot dog at the stand just outside of Goldblatt's (forgot the name).
Rob

Girard, OH

#249 Feb 19, 2013
Just to add another comment here. I think most neighborhoods have changed, and not only due to white flight. There was something special about growing up in the 60's thru the early 80's. Neighbors were very close to each other, just about all of the kids were outside hanging out and having fun. Things are a bit different nowadays , even in "better" neighborhoods. My Mom still lives in Bellwood, visit her quite often, neighborhood isn't like it was but it's not that bad. And, High on a Hillside, the new Target mall on Mannheim by 290 is pretty nice, been there plenty of times now. Just because you see minorities there doesn't mean it's complete crap.
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

#250 Feb 19, 2013
Rob wrote:
Just to add another comment here. I think most neighborhoods have changed, and not only due to white flight. There was something special about growing up in the 60's thru the early 80's. Neighbors were very close to each other, just about all of the kids were outside hanging out and having fun. Things are a bit different nowadays , even in "better" neighborhoods. My Mom still lives in Bellwood, visit her quite often, neighborhood isn't like it was but it's not that bad. And, High on a Hillside, the new Target mall on Mannheim by 290 is pretty nice, been there plenty of times now. Just because you see minorities there doesn't mean it's complete crap.
Hi Rob,I thought that I might comment here a bit.I have been living in Berkeley,IL.most of my life & I can tell you this,The neighbors are not close anymore around here.As a matter of fact,you really do not know who your neighbor is anymore & even you cannot trust or depend on them.I cannot sleep most nights because of the Blacks(spooks)that are up all night yelling in the neighborhood with their noise.(This includes the Hillbilly White Trash next door to me that has over 10 dogs on Ridge Ave.in Berkeley & are always yelling & fighting @ all hours of the night & have Dog Shit piling up in their backyard & will not clean it up with the rest of their junk & breeding millions of house flies to infest the neighborhood).There is also the crime issue that you have to consider & the local Governments inability to deal with it properly.Yes,this is not the same Berkeley,Hillside & Bellwood that you grew up in the past my friends.It is really a shame on top of shame that our towns are being destroyed by these losers!
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

#251 Feb 19, 2013
Dennis M wrote:
I just happened upon this blog tonite and have found it quite interesting. I lived in Hillside from when I was born in '60 until 1995, going to both St.Dom's(which is now closed except for kindegarten) and PW. I was on the fire dept. until 1995 and still have several good friends on the job there. I get back thru town several times a year as I live in MN now but work for a south suburb based company. Everyone is right, the town has changed dramtically over the years but what area hasn't? Fortunately my mom sold the house in '05 when home values were still thru the roof. Compared to some other town's Hillside and Berkeley, while not the towns of our youth are still relatively clean and well kept with most homes seemingly being taken care of. But as a few of you have pointed out the memories of being in that area in that era are unforgettable. I'm sure I would know quite a few of you who have posted on here.
Hello Dennis,You would not hardly even recognise this area that we used to call home anymore as a peaceful well run community,I cannot believe my own eyes to this BS that we have sold out!

Since: Feb 12

Oak Brook, IL

#253 Feb 27, 2013
Rob why are you coming after me for telling the truth? When I go into a store I expect the signs to be in English. I never said it was complete crap. What I said was that the sign said Pharmacia. Sorry I don't think that is right. If you live in America, learn the language. It's like the drivers written test being given in about 15 languages. If you can't read the test, how can you read the road signs? My ancestors had to learn English and so should everyone else who lives in the USA. I have a couple of friends who still live in the old hood. Do me a favor and show up on St Charles Road on New Years Eve. Automatic gunfire? Really? Read what Scrubber59 wrote. IT IS a case of white flight. Proviso West made the news a couple of weeks ago because of the gang fights. If you don't believe me go on YouTube, type in Proviso West Fight and you will get at least 20 hits. They are taken with cell phones and with the last one 15 students face expulsion. The hot dog stand was "The Dog Patch" and was owned by the Vascos. Its nothing like it was. It was a great place to grow up but now your "neighbors" break into your house when you at work. There are so many houses that government bought up in foreclosure that they now rent out section 8 because they tore all the projects down. Its a far cry from the old hood but I never said the new Target mall was complete crap. I said the sign for the PHARMACY was in Spanish. Pharmacia? Am I in Tijuana?

Oak Brook, IL

#254 Feb 27, 2013
I meant to say when you are at work. When I walk into a store as big as Target and the signs are in Spanish, I consider that scary. I also consider having a paintball just miss my open car window scary. I consider a AK47 firing by Giacchino's scary. What's funny is that Ridge Ave is one of the better blocks being behind the Berkeley Police Station. On the other hand I can back up what Scrubber59 wrote. My friend lived over there until last spring. That's as far west as you can go in Cook. My friend turned into one those "White Trash" people. His logic after a while was "When in Rome". He got a German Shepard puppy because the neighbors dog bit him when he was walking down the sidewalk. After a while he had 4 dogs because he was sick of people breaking into his vehicles. It does seem that just about everyone on that block thinks they are dog breeders, black, white or Hispanic. After a while my friend just walked away from the whole thing. He had a house that he bought for $210,000 in 2001 and it was worth $68,000 10 years later. It was on a half acre. It was a nice house. He couldn't see paying a mortgage that he had about $150,000 left on when he couldn't park in his driveway. He had a gate put up and you had to be behind that. He also left his dogs out all night because his comprehensive on his trucks was insane. The crime is utterly out of hand at night. Anyway he stopped making payments and just let them foreclose. He is much happier now even though his credit is in the toilet. His new house in Lombard is in wife's name. Don't even get me started about what is going on across town on Spencer. I di not post here to get into a fight. I posted to let the people who moved far away let know what happened to The Hillside Mall. It's kind of hard telling that story without telling about what happened to where we grew up. It's sad driving by a house that was beautiful and you hung out at to see it boarded up. It's sad to know that PW is a bunch of gangbangers who go at it for a dumb look. It sad that people have no respect for anyone. It sad that if you want a "neighborhood" where you know your neighbors, you have to move into a subdivision with a HOA. What we had years ago was special and now you are lucky if your kids know the people 5 houses down. That is something I completely agree with you on. It's a different world, a different time and most of all it's not the place were we grew up.

Location hidden

#255 Feb 27, 2013
That same scenario....emptying the innercity ghettos, into the once beautiful suburbs is exactly what happened to my Park Forest...at one time, an award winning community....now the houses go for $20-26,000...Worse part is the feds used our taxdollars to do it to us.....

Oak Brook, IL

#256 Feb 27, 2013
Go Blue Forever, Have you been to Lakewood Falls in Plainfield? Basically what happened is during the boom everyone refied for twice what they paid for their houses. Then the crash came and HUD bought up all the foreclosures. Having to put the displaced "project" people somewhere, they started renting those houses Section 8. When they were building phase 1, I priced out a house, lot, etc. When I read the 40+ pages of HOA rules, I said I don't think so. I am so glad that I did not build a house there. Last year my buddy wanted to look at a short sale and I tagged along. Lakewood Robert Taylor is the easiest way to put it. The best part is like you said "the feds used our tax dollars to do it". It doesn't matter what the houses go for. I wouldn't live there if it were free. 12 years and it went from the nice Plainfield subdivision to a ghetto. I was in shock. The realtor was like,"you didn't know"? Now I here the same thing on a smaller scale is happening in Lakewood Trails in Minooka. 9 years ago it was all farmland, now there are smoke shops right outside the entrance that sell crack pipes and used to sell bath salts and that fake weed. The people of Minooka are not amused and neither are the people who had houses built in Lakewood. My point is it is all over and most people couldn't even find Minooka 10 years ago. Now you have more and gangbangers in a community that never locked their doors and their taxes have gone up. It eventually happens everywhere and we pay for it with our tax dollars.

Location hidden

#257 Feb 28, 2013
And, the absolute worst feature of the fed's social engineering is....Innercity Chicago is even more dangerous than ever....So the final product is, that they ruined the suburbs and the standard of living for all those that had done the right thing there.....and they made their ghetto problems worse.....

Oak Brook, IL

#258 Feb 28, 2013
Absolutely and I was born in Englewood hospital. Lived on the South Side until I was 10. Then moved to Hillside. In Englewood today cops don't even go on a call unless there are 3-4 squad cars. They shoot at the cops. The same thing goes on in Maywood. My friend was a Maywood fireman and they all had handguns. They would be putting out a fire and people would just start shooting at them. It was crack dealers burning down rival crack houses. My buddy quit, it was OK when the police got there in time but a lot of the times the Fire dept. would be first on the scene. He finally said enough. If burning to death wasn't bad enough, they would get into a shootout while trying to do their jobs. Now he is a fireman in Oswego. The crack-gang banger mentality just kept moving West, especially down St. Charles Road. That's why Bellwood has Crime Cameras up like in the inner city. To all of you who think that our old hood is anything like it was, drive down St. Charles Road. Drive down Wolf and Butterfield and LOOK. They moved the whole town of Hillside to Hillside Ave. When a town sells it's police station and moves the whole of the town west, something's wrong especially since the police station WAS right in between Proviso West and Hillside School. When they can boast that only one shooting took place at Proviso, that's one too many. To all of you who drive through the towns and say it looks OK and isn't that bad, take a GOOD look. Hit some of the side streets and look at all of the houses with stickers in the front windows. Those are HUD stickers, they are trying to sell those houses because they don't meet section 8 standards. Leaking basements, roofs, etc. Take a good look instead of just driving through and saying it looks OK. Crime cameras? Half of the businesses between Taft and Wolf empty? Proviso West like the Middle East? The Hillside shopping center GONE except for a CarMax and what was The Bank of Hillside. One last thing. My great grand parents and grand parents are buried in Oakridge Cemetery. Every Mothers Day I take my Mother there to visit their graves. Last Mothers Day I came in off of Mannheim. I couldn't get through because church groups were having a barbeque. There were more then 100 people having a BBQ in the cemetery. The smoke of BBQ was like Bemis Woods. They had two of those 55 gallon drums cut in half. It was quite the party. My Mother started crying. A full blown party in a cemetery. How disrespectful is that? Then you have the fact that Mt. Carmel and Queen of Heaven have signs up saying lock your car doors and keep your eyes open. Don't be a victim of a crime. Lock your valuables in your trunk. That's not the Hillside I lived in for almost 20 years. Am I a racist? No I am just observant and listen to my friends who are stuck there. What happened to the Hillside Shopping Center? It's gone except for the memories.
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

#259 Feb 28, 2013
Now we are on a roll Mr.High On a Hillside....I am so disgusted with what I have been seeing around here in Berkeley,Hillside & Bellwood,ILLINOIS.Like I said,I grew up in Berkeley & lived here most of my life.There is a time capsule buried on the front grounds of the Berkeley Public Library that was dedicated in 1974 & due to be opened in the year 2024 which would be 50 years.I was there in 1974 to see the dedication of the time capsule of buried Berkeley treasures from our time.By the time that the time capsule is to be opened up again in 2024,I will be 64 years old if I live to then.I really hate to see what is going to happen to Berkeley by then with this sick Socially Engineered Urban Invasion.By then,Berkeley will probably be completely spoiled & filled with low lives & their lives of crime.I grew up in this town of Berkeley,IL & I will be really sorry to see of the way that it will be laid to waste just like the inner city of Chicago.By then,The Hillside Shopping Center will be long forgotten.

Oak Brook, IL

#260 Mar 1, 2013
Scrubber59 I feel your pain and I do mean that. I moved out of Hillside on 1/07/95. It didn't take a Genius to see what was happening. The thing that a bunch of people who are even five years older then me don't understand was the huge difference in Proviso West after 1979. I was in the class of 1984 and there was a big racial change. 1979 is when the boundaries changed in District 209. Before that if you lived in Hillside, Berkeley, parts of Bellwood and Westchester you went to West. Bellwood Ave eastward went to East with Maywood and some Melrose Park kids. In the first week of the school year in 1980 the people of Westchester wanted to annex from district 209. It seemed there were two distinct classes. Those of us who were there to learn and perhaps prepare for college and a bunch of supposed Bellwood kids who did not even live in Bellwood. They freely admitted that they used relatives addresses to go to a better school. The problem was most didn't even want to learn. By our sophomore year a bunch of classmates transferred out to I.C. and St. Joes. Their parents were sick of their kids getting harassed and bullied. There were black kids who had guns. This was 1981. There were racial incidents every week but there were more whites then blacks. The Hillside Police began putting squad cars on Harrison where the buses picked up the black kids. By 1984 we had to wear our school ID where any teacher could see it. Most of us wore it around our necks on a rope necklace. Don't get me wrong, there were white bad apples and some really cool black kids. My point is that anyone who went to PW in the '70s went to a different school. That includes Dennis M and Scrubber59. 46-47 years old seems to be the cutoff. The class of 1985 was the last class before the place turned into a complete Zoo. Like I said before go on YouTube and search for "Proviso West fights". This kids post these videos shot with their phones and proudly proclaim what gang they belong to and what gangs they were fighting. The Menards closed because half of the employees didn't give one care to customer service. You could wander around for an hour and not once would someone ask you if needed help finding something. I even had a run in with the store manager when I was siding my garage. I told him to cancel the whole order and went to Glendale Heights. When you go to the CarMax you have to follow a strict course if you take a car for a test drive. Harrison West to Roosevelt West to York and do a double clover so you are on Roosevelt East. Turn North on Wolf and back to CarMax. It's because cars get stolen on test drives. They pull a gun and throw the salesman out of the car. It's not something that makes the news but it has happened a few times. The problem is it hardly enough of a test drive and that's why CarMax wants to pull out. I was testing a 30k car and wanted more of a test drive. I was told to follow the same route. No sale. As for the McMall where the Target is; its nothing special. I was in that Target once to buy a French press and that will be the last. Signs in Spanish? What a bunch of crap. I'll go to one in Yorktown. Scubber59 I know your block all too well and my friend got arrested for catching someone who broke into his Excursion. He was charged with unlawful restraint and that was the end of playing nice with the Berkeley Police. Here's a guy who WAS a reborn Christian(Ahhh!), worked 70 hours a week and had to hire a lawyer and plea out his case. He hated the cops after that. To all of you who live far away and might drive through every once in a while you might want to double check your facts. Our old hood is a shithole and we should all be ashamed.

Two things that have nothing to do with my truthful rant. First of all it's Vasko not Vasco(I got some grief for that one)Second my friend lived in the corner house on Taft across Maple South of The Berkeley Library. He talked about that time capsule all the time. We will be 59 and we will be there.

Location hidden

#263 Mar 1, 2013
I am alot older than you two, and graduated from Rich East in 1970....back then, we alway's thought Proviso East and West were rich kid schools...lol...lke our much hated rivals Homewood-Flossmoor....

Oak Brook, IL

#264 Mar 1, 2013
A few things that have nothing to do with my truthful rant.
First of all it's Vasko not Vasco(I got some grief for that one)
Second: My friend lived in the corner house on Taft across Maple South of The Berkeley Library. He talked about that time capsule all the time. We will be 59 and most of St. Doms class '80 of will be there.
Third: My first post was about a place called Five Coins. Can anyone help me with this?
Fourth: If anyone wants to put words in my mouth or misquote me, every post I have written is on here. Read them before you tell me what I said. If I said it fine but don't post innuendo about what I wrote. I take offense to unregistered posters misquoting me.
Fifth: Dennis M I grew up right over by The Hillside Fire Dept. I remember Chief Metzger and the 6 clock whistle which meant it was either time to go home and eat or be at St. Doms for football practice. The cool part was The Hillside Fire Dept. was always cool to us when we were kids and you could always just stop in and check out the trucks. With you being 5 years older I bet you know a lot of my friends older brothers and sisters.
Six: Scitching- That was THE thing in the winter. If that was an Olympic event we would have won many gold medals. It was stupid but it also was much more complicated. You had to choose the right car. Preferably an older person who had no idea that people were on the back of their car. The gold medal move was to try and get four people to stay on for two blocks. It was dumb fun but nobody ever got hurt. Sometimes the people would see you and slam on the brakes and jump out. Run! That and snowball fights. My first ride in a Hillside Police car was because of a snowball that got away from me and hit a trustees car on Wolf Rd by Malibu (Hillside Condominiums).It wasn't on purpose, that's what school buses were for. 20 people just waiting for a school bus to pelt.
You see I'm not all gloom and doom. I had fun growing up there.
Its just now if you go to the HUD site you will see a bunch of houses that they just keep lowering the prices on until some slumlord comes and buys them all up for 30-40k a piece. Rent them out Sect 8 and you have your money back in 2-3 years. The Gov. pays you and your tenants cant trash the house. If they do you are reimbursed and your tenants are thrown out of the program. Its a win-win and I know a couple people who make good money being slumlords. Those apartments from Washington to Butterfield? Most are section 8. Ballpark The Gov. pays $1300 for a 3 bedroom and $1000 for a 2 bedroom. Those 3 flats have 2- 3 bedrooms and 1- 2 bedroom.$3600 a month from Uncle Sam but every case is different. Like I said its just ballpark but close.

Oak Brook, IL

#265 Mar 1, 2013
Go Blue Forever - Back then they were nice schools. On the other hand I was 4 years old and living in Chicago on the Southside. I'm sorry for going on these rants but I hate when people who don't know squat post BS. Then to misquote me. Hell its all there in print, I cant edit it. We always hated York, they were our rivals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2 Blue Island brothers in line for 6 government... (Nov '13) 2 hr Discuss 50
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! (Nov '13) 8 hr pic 1,260
Candie's Harem 12 hr Nosfonader 2
Chicago Ridge fire chief resigns, officials loo... Wed Why Jacko why 17
considering buying home in Berwyn..advice? (Dec '07) Wed rico cracker 125
Disco Dave Conrad Mayors choice Tue calling a bluff 5
Felix Greco of Berwyn fire department Tue Tim 1
Westchester Dating
Find my Match

Westchester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Westchester News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Westchester

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:17 pm PST

NBC Sports 9:17PM
Week 13 skill-position injury report — Wednesday
NBC Sports11:56 PM
Colts put in extra time to prepare for McCoy - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 3:59 AM
Washington Redskins vs. Indianapolis Colts: Breaking Down Washington's Game Plan
NFL 4:44 AM
Redskins players 'surprised' by RGIII's benching
NBC Sports 5:01 AM
Michael Bush: I didn't get a "fair shake" in Chicago