Ridge board aims to cut spending in a...

Ridge board aims to cut spending in anticipation of tough economy

There are 23 comments on the Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park Reporter story from Nov 24, 2008, titled Ridge board aims to cut spending in anticipation of tough economy. In it, Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park Reporter reports that:

The Chicago Ridge Village board held a special budget meeting last Friday to begin discussing how to cut spending during a time when the economy is more volatile than it has been in decades.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park Reporter.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Do Tell

Chicago, IL

#1 Nov 24, 2008
So when cuts are involved the Budget Officer needs help? Cowardly lion.
Phony

Chicago, IL

#2 Nov 25, 2008
Mike Davies claimes he wants to make cuts but had his wife on the village payroll months after he was elected Trustee (Broke Campaign Promise).

The Villiage pays him nearly $15,000 a year for two meetings a month. The Coo Day Gra- He, his Wife and Children al recieve free Health Insurance while he ranks in Big Bucks from his Law firm.

Uses his connections as a Villiage Trustee to bring in more Law Business.

Phony is as Phony does.
Observer

West Lafayette, IN

#3 Nov 25, 2008
Phony wrote:
Mike Davies claimes he wants to make cuts but had his wife on the village payroll months after he was elected Trustee (Broke Campaign Promise).
The Villiage pays him nearly $15,000 a year for two meetings a month. The Coo Day Gra- He, his Wife and Children al recieve free Health Insurance while he ranks in Big Bucks from his Law firm.
Uses his connections as a Villiage Trustee to bring in more Law Business.
Phony is as Phony does.
The Trustee who had to be elected because "the Mayor said so" and who "shared the Mayor's vision" is worried that the Mayor's Budget Director, who is the also the village clerk will not be able to concoct a budget that will sustain the Village for all of 2009. For the last 20 years when other trustees asked the Budget Director and the Mayor this question "what happens if we get to June and run out of money....?" the answer was always that we could move money between funds, budget line items, departments (take your pick). This year little Pugsley asks the same question all those other trustees have asked in the past and the board has two days worth of meetings? what is up with that? I agree with the other posters that it is unlike the Budget Director to ask for any help from the trustees.
slim

Oak Lawn, IL

#4 Nov 26, 2008
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>The Trustee who had to be elected because "the Mayor said so" and who "shared the Mayor's vision" is worried that the Mayor's Budget Director, who is the also the village clerk will not be able to concoct a budget that will sustain the Village for all of 2009. For the last 20 years when other trustees asked the Budget Director and the Mayor this question "what happens if we get to June and run out of money....?" the answer was always that we could move money between funds, budget line items, departments (take your pick). This year little Pugsley asks the same question all those other trustees have asked in the past and the board has two days worth of meetings? what is up with that? I agree with the other posters that it is unlike the Budget Director to ask for any help from the trustees.
ok
Second Look

West Lafayette, IN

#5 Jan 1, 2009
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>The Trustee who had to be elected because "the Mayor said so" and who "shared the Mayor's vision" is worried that the Mayor's Budget Director, who is the also the village clerk will not be able to concoct a budget that will sustain the Village for all of 2009. For the last 20 years when other trustees asked the Budget Director and the Mayor this question "what happens if we get to June and run out of money....?" the answer was always that we could move money between funds, budget line items, departments (take your pick). This year little Pugsley asks the same question all those other trustees have asked in the past and the board has two days worth of meetings? what is up with that? I agree with the other posters that it is unlike the Budget Director to ask for any help from the trustees.
Open hearings are important when they give fresh air to a discussion. The trustees just figured out that the Budget Director is full of hot air. Trustee Quintos was also quoted as saying "the beauty of the process is that we can change anything we want later anyway." If you can change anything you want later anyway then all you were looking for was a headline today. The Village Budget is always just a waste of paper because the Budget Officer has never been held accountable for his mistakes. The Board just always "changed things later" like Quintos said.
res

Oak Lawn, IL

#6 Mar 27, 2009
for review
confused punk

Oak Lawn, IL

#8 Mar 31, 2009
res wrote:
for review
Bash that too
the good ole days

United States

#9 Apr 10, 2013
we use to do whatever we wanted
Old Days

Tinley Park, IL

#10 Jun 30, 2013
These are the good old days and then some. Now the Mayor is the Budget Director. Now nobody can question anything. Question the Budget Director and move to the check-out line. The Trustees are headed back to the dark ages. So are the rest of us.
Remember

Chicago, IL

#11 Jul 1, 2013
At this point, Davies is beginning to look like his goal is to be our resident Drama Queen rather than work for what's best for Chicago Ridge. What is the best way to consider cost savings for Chicago Ridge?
Would you want to just fire police officers and auxiliary police officers when everyone else thinks we need more officers? Would you vote against building a new Fire Station when the older one was falling apart? Would most reasonable people vote against the Budget and the Levy because the Drama Queen’s unreasonable cuts were not included? Most of us would not make a fool of ourselves arguing against the safety of our Village. Not the Drama Queen.“What about my feelings?” he cries.
If he wanted to save money, why not drop Ridge Fest rather than talk about reducing public safety?
This would save the Village all the Drama Queen drama but, then again, it is this very drama that keeps us talking about Davies and his pal Lind too, rather than what's best for the Village.
Pot Meet Kettle

Orland Park, IL

#12 Jul 1, 2013
Remember wrote:
At this point, Davies is beginning to look like his goal is to be our resident Drama Queen rather than work for what's best for Chicago Ridge. What is the best way to consider cost savings for Chicago Ridge?
Would you want to just fire police officers and auxiliary police officers when everyone else thinks we need more officers? Would you vote against building a new Fire Station when the older one was falling apart? Would most reasonable people vote against the Budget and the Levy because the Drama Queen’s unreasonable cuts were not included? Most of us would not make a fool of ourselves arguing against the safety of our Village. Not the Drama Queen.“What about my feelings?” he cries.
If he wanted to save money, why not drop Ridge Fest rather than talk about reducing public safety?
This would save the Village all the Drama Queen drama but, then again, it is this very drama that keeps us talking about Davies and his pal Lind too, rather than what's best for the Village.
Sounds like the omly drama queen in the area is you!!!!!! Listen to yourself. You are a big drama queen. Sheesh.
Bad Texas Chili

Evergreen Park, IL

#13 Jul 1, 2013
Pot Meet Kettle wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like the omly drama queen in the area is you!!!!!! Listen to yourself. You are a big drama queen. Sheesh.
Glad to hear from you. How's the weather in Texas Mc D?
Remember

Chicago, IL

#14 Jul 2, 2013
Pot Meet Kettle wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like the omly drama queen in the area is you!!!!!! Listen to yourself. You are a big drama queen. Sheesh.
Aww Shucks. Maybe I was wrong to pick on Mike. Maybe I do like Drama. Maybe I would like the queen part too. Maybe he does care about the Village. Maybe it is not a power kick for him. Maybe he didn't vote against different things because he couldn't get his way. Do you really think I am the only Drama Queen in the area? I would love to just relax and enjoy life in beautiful Chicago Ridge, but I just don't find it particularly beautiful or relaxing right now. Because there has been change in our government is not a basis for blind trust in Davies and Lind. It is an opportunity to keep an open mind and a close eye on whatever path they take. And I don't need to run for anything now or in the future to to care about the Village and its residents and what affects them.
Drama Queen Union

Evergreen Park, IL

#15 Jul 4, 2013
Remember wrote:
Please, calling him a Drama Queen is an insult to Drama Queens!
Can I get An AMEN?
You Know Who

Carol Stream, IL

#16 Jul 8, 2013
Drama Queen Union wrote:
<quoted text>
Please, calling him a Drama Queen is an insult to Drama Queens!
Can I get An AMEN?
AMEN!
Plywood

East Greenwich, RI

#17 Jul 12, 2013
Do ya think Davies ain't been wearin a wire. You just know he,s a rat. Some people going to find out soon
Who is little Pugsley

Evergreen Park, IL

#18 Jul 13, 2013
Observer wrote:
"This year little Pugsley asks the same question"
OK I'll bite, who's little Pugsley?
Donnie

Chicago, IL

#19 Aug 2, 2013
who am I
Timekeeper

Chicago, IL

#20 Aug 2, 2013
It is time for the mayor to start to act like a mayor on important issues to our community. He needs to put on his big boy pants and step up on the pension problem. The trustees who were trying to fix that mess at their own peril (and with little no support from our new mayor) lost their re-elections. Now that the mayor is safe for four years let's hope that he starts acting like a mayor.
Not so Fast

Chicago, IL

#21 Aug 7, 2013
Timekeeper wrote:
It is time for the mayor to start to act like a mayor on important issues to our community. He needs to put on his big boy pants and step up on the pension problem. The trustees who were trying to fix that mess at their own peril (and with little no support from our new mayor) lost their re-elections. Now that the mayor is safe for four years let's hope that he starts acting like a mayor.
Not so fast. It would be nice to hit the refresh button and make it all go away today. While pension spiking IN Illinois is pervasive, it is common. And anyone who thinks the worst case investment returns contemplated here are unlikely – a nominal return of 5.75%– needs to consider how long public sector pension funds that manage over $3.0 trillion in assets can continue to rely on hedging and other high-risk Wall Street tricks to outperform the risk-free rate of the 10 year U.S. Treasury bill, which is only 3.0% per year. Pension spiking causes dramatic increases to the amount necessary to fund pensions all by itself. When viewed in combination with what may well be an inevitable reduction in the projected rate of return for pension funds, pension spiking can play a material role in making an extraordinarily challenging situation even worse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
who GEORGE SCHLEYER? (May '12) 53 min Have Gun Will Travel 37
Tokar Fest 2017 1 hr PBRAMF 5
News Motorcyclist still in coma after November accident (Jan '10) 6 hr Katrina 6
Section 8 is sending Berwyn to hell. 13 hr Arthur 2
Redundancy from WILDBILL 14 hr 9th Ave 4
Gone but not forgotten (May '09) Fri Tinker aol 705
and there off The 2017 race for Mayor. Fri PBRAMF 34
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westchester Mortgages