Restore Roaring rapids water park!
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Observer

Willowbrook, IL

#21 May 9, 2010
I went past that hill today, just a couple hours ago, and I did not see a single crane, bulldozer, forestry department vehicle, wood chipper, or even guys with chain saws cutting down overgrown brush!
Permit man

Willowbrook, IL

#22 Dec 20, 2010
Hey people.

I have just been informed by the City of Oakbrook Terrace that nobody has gone into their office to even ask anything at all about permits or even zoning for that hill on Roosevelt and Route 83.
Richard

Villa Park, IL

#23 Mar 16, 2012
I think I'm going to check this place out. When I do I will tell you, what I have seen.
Richard

Villa Park, IL

#24 Apr 8, 2012
I was just there today, and those weeds and shit are every whereand worse then ever. I saw most of it, even though I haven't seen the park in operation I was born in 90'. But anyway, I was having a hard time finding things, I was able to find the main slides, I came in past the gates that said no trespassing blabla, so I was looking for a for a way in and found what looked like a garden entrance, with nice brickwork paths. all gone to shit. I made a crude exit threw a chain link fence - I don't think 215 pounds is going to be getting up a 7 or 8ft fence, so I had brought a set of bolt cutters, and cut that bastard and left. The fence was on the north western side and now has a easy entry point.
Explorer

Cicero, IL

#25 Apr 9, 2012
Well over a couple years ago, I saw a video on Youtube of some guys playing with a World War II era Rolls Royce turbine jet engine, and nowadays, whenever I watch that video, a lot of times I think it would be really awesome to bring that jet engine into that abandoned water park and use it to clear out that one concrete slide that's buried in all that dirt. Watching the dirt all fly out of the slide and up into the air in a huge plume, watching those 5 foot weeds getting ripped to shreds by the jet blast, saplings whipping the ground, and other fun phenomenon.
Elmhurst Kid

Oak Lawn, IL

#26 Sep 19, 2012
I remember as a kid this area was a hot spot for fun. On one side of 83, you had the only water park in or around Chicagoland plus the go Karts. On the other side of 83 you had Dispensa's Kiddy Kingdom (similar to Kiddie Land), the Castle of Toy's, The Elmhurst Bowl and Roller Rink. The Big "Tower" is now on the site of Kiddie Kingdom and the Lexington/Hilton are now where the roller rink and bowling alley was.
There was actually stuff for kids to do in Elmhurst that was fun. Unlike now, all the activities the city offers are sports based or arts and crafts!!!
stan bk

United States

#27 Jan 12, 2013
I have great photos. I have been there. Twice. What a place I wish it was open. I would. Gone down. The body slide that went underground. There is 7 slides. And. I found a safe up there. I wouder if the left money in it. I'm plain returning. Some time this year to se how. Bad it. Got. Oh by the way some left there swimming. Trunks up there .
HotDiggityDawg

Greenfield, IN

#28 Jan 14, 2013
Holy cow! I took my kids to brookfield zoo this weekend and I remember that stretch of 83 had kiddie kingdom on one side and a water park on the other. I was looking for evidence on that hillside, but obviously you can't see if from the road. I honestly thought I maybe remembered it wrong, and there was no park there. It's great to see I'm not losing it.
Jim 72

Glen Ellyn, IL

#29 Mar 5, 2013
Does anyone have pictures of this place in its heyday? I grew up going here as a kid. One of the best days I remember was mom took me and a friend to Ebenezer's in the afternoon and my dad took us to Santa Fe Speedway in the evening. Unfortunately Santa Fe is long gone as well giving way to a housing development in 1997.
Nameless

Addison, IL

#30 Jun 1, 2013
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
I looked in google maps and couldn't find a satelitte view. I understand it's on Rt. 83 and Roosevelt Rd. On google maps where do I look - what intersection is it and what st. etc.. Thanks for the help!
-Paul
If you find the intersection of E Roosevelt and Kingery Hwy S, its up and to the left of it. If you are looking at it from satellite view, there is a parking lot and buildings that is kind of in the shape of the American flag. The waterpark is above that.
Drew

Crystal Lake, IL

#31 Oct 16, 2014
Explorer wrote:
Roaring Rapids is an abandoned water park that sits on the big hill just northwest of the intersection of Roosevelt Road and Route 83 (right by the Oakbrook Terrace tower) When I took a hike on that hill the other day, I was very disappointed at the condition of the water slides. The big concrete slides are filled with dirt, weeds, saplings, garbage, sprayed with graffiti, in fact the big slides are practically a total jungle!, the other slides, surfaced with a rubber foam material, are cracked, split, even missing sections of the surfacing, and are also full of weeds and brush, one of them is filled with muddy water in one spot. That hill really needs big time restoration. It can not be left abandoned like that! I mean, literally, when was the last time the park district of villa park was ever notified of that slum? And when was the last attempt at maybe cleaning up that park, restoring it, and putting it back in buisness?
Seeming little know fact is the hill was a land fill. I've been told from spring road in Elmhurst clear across 83 into villa park and oak brook terrace was a land fill. At the time it was constructed it was believed all the methane had gone. Back yards behind was mart contain abandon pipe stacks that burned off methane. In the 70's Elgradge park in Elmhurst had issues with sink holes requiring complete renovation of the park.

Anyhow, the property is abandon because health department testing found several toxic chemicals in the water not related to the maintenance of the park. As of 1995 these papers were still in filing cabinets in the park. Tho the rumor was they closed for insurance reasons due to accident.mit is far more likely the owners got as far away as they could to avoid being sued.

Trust me on this... The elements found in the water is why it's not open, and I don't believe anyone would ever be allowed to reopen that place.
Bryan

Bartlett, IL

#32 Dec 19, 2014
stan bk wrote:
I have great photos. I have been there. Twice. What a place I wish it was open. I would. Gone down. The body slide that went underground. There is 7 slides. And. I found a safe up there. I wouder if the left money in it. I'm plain returning. Some time this year to se how. Bad it. Got. Oh by the way some left there swimming. Trunks up there .
Hi! Would you be able to share any photos you have? I'm writing a piece on the water park and am looking for more quality photos. I would of course source you if I do :)

Thanks!
Bryan
Bryan

Bartlett, IL

#33 Jan 15, 2015
Hello everyone!
I just published a very comprehensive post about Roaring Rapids Water Park on my blog, http://www.abandonedexplorer.com , including a photo of the waterslide in operation. I also heavily researched the history of the park and included links to court documents regarding the family who owned the landfill on which the park was built.

You can read the post here:
http://www.abandonedexplorer.com/water-parks/...

Hope you all enjoy :)
kfrost88

Elmhurst, IL

#34 Jul 11, 2015
Explorer wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw the signs too, but I did not get in any trouble. And I was on that hill for about a good 50 minutes or so. And nobody said anything to me. Not locals, not workers in the adjacent yard, and not even the police. There are a couple of entrance points on the hill's west side that you can enter the place and explore. Don't worry. The Tribune did an article on this place and it is said that children do actually go exploring on the hill and once in a while they come across the main slides.
Good luck getting in there. I think u might be able to get away without being caught but fairly recently the built a giant new cyclone fence around it. If u really know a good a way in I'd like to know:)
emmyexplorer

Romeoville, IL

#35 Sep 13, 2015
I have a question!! I went in last night, and had to climb 2 fences- where are the entrance points and where should I park my car? I parked on local streets and had to cut through a storage facility lot and then walk alongside the highway and climb a fence- help!!
emmyexplorer

Romeoville, IL

#36 Sep 13, 2015
kfrost88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck getting in there. I think u might be able to get away without being caught but fairly recently the built a giant new cyclone fence around it. If u really know a good a way in I'd like to know:)
I had to climb the fences. I'm trying to find another way in, too.
emmyexplorer

Romeoville, IL

#37 Sep 13, 2015
stan bk wrote:
How did you get in? Would love to know

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
federal agents in melrose park 7/25/16 15 min Bilbo Sackonutzz 33
Anyone remember the Harvey Weinstein murder? 1963 (Feb '12) 1 hr Granddaughter 12
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 2 hr Our Next President 9,112
Make Melrose Park great again 3 hr Jiggles Guido Pimp 20
Roy Mccambell Barry Zito and Current Technologi... (Apr '12) 6 hr Safe Parent 42
Sgt. John Wasilenko and Drew Petersen (Apr '13) 19 hr RJ Serpico Loans 92
Redundancy from WILDBILL 19 hr RJ Serpico Loans 33

Westchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westchester Mortgages