First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Explorer

AOL

#1 Jul 1, 2009
Roaring Rapids is an abandoned water park that sits on the big hill just northwest of the intersection of Roosevelt Road and Route 83 (right by the Oakbrook Terrace tower) When I took a hike on that hill the other day, I was very disappointed at the condition of the water slides. The big concrete slides are filled with dirt, weeds, saplings, garbage, sprayed with graffiti, in fact the big slides are practically a total jungle!, the other slides, surfaced with a rubber foam material, are cracked, split, even missing sections of the surfacing, and are also full of weeds and brush, one of them is filled with muddy water in one spot. That hill really needs big time restoration. It can not be left abandoned like that! I mean, literally, when was the last time the park district of villa park was ever notified of that slum? And when was the last attempt at maybe cleaning up that park, restoring it, and putting it back in buisness?
Explorer

AOL

#2 Jul 1, 2009
In fact, at one point, the right hand side large concrete slide is totally buried up to it's rim in dirt and weeds!
I88 Speedway

Orland Park, IL

#3 Jul 2, 2009
I drove past that last night and wondered what ever happened to that place?

88S
Explorer

AOL

#4 Jul 2, 2009
By the way, here is an online set of photos of Roaring Rapids water park, located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikebrown3506/se...

Those curled sheets that look like discarded carpets filling the big slides, by the way, are actually sections of the rubber foam lining that peeled off the walls of the slides.
Paul

Fort Wayne, IN

#5 Jul 11, 2009
Explorer wrote:
Roaring Rapids is an abandoned water park that sits on the big hill just northwest of the intersection of Roosevelt Road and Route 83 (right by the Oakbrook Terrace tower) When I took a hike on that hill the other day, I was very disappointed at the condition of the water slides. The big concrete slides are filled with dirt, weeds, saplings, garbage, sprayed with graffiti, in fact the big slides are practically a total jungle!, the other slides, surfaced with a rubber foam material, are cracked, split, even missing sections of the surfacing, and are also full of weeds and brush, one of them is filled with muddy water in one spot. That hill really needs big time restoration. It can not be left abandoned like that! I mean, literally, when was the last time the park district of villa park was ever notified of that slum? And when was the last attempt at maybe cleaning up that park, restoring it, and putting it back in buisness?
I looked in google maps and couldn't find a satelitte view. I understand it's on Rt. 83 and Roosevelt Rd. On google maps where do I look - what intersection is it and what st. etc.. Thanks for the help!

-Paul
Explorer

AOL

#6 Jul 12, 2009
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
I looked in google maps and couldn't find a satelitte view. I understand it's on Rt. 83 and Roosevelt Rd. On google maps where do I look - what intersection is it and what st. etc.. Thanks for the help!
-Paul
About 50 feet west of Route 83, just north of Roosevelt, is Frontage Road, which is fenced off but leads directly to the abandoned water park. The hill is located on the north west side of the intersection of Roosevelt and 83. Google maps does not mark it in any way, but if you click for sattelite view (which shows you the neighborhood as if you were looking down at it from a helicopter) and zoom in very closely, you will be able to see the 2 large main parallel slides and one of the racing slides.
Explorer

AOL

#7 Jul 12, 2009
When zoomed far out, by the way, the hill will look like a forest preserve.
Memories

Streamwood, IL

#8 Jul 24, 2009
Ebenezer Floppen Slopper's is what this place was called. The Chicago Tribune just did a recent article on this.
Explorer

AOL

#9 Aug 18, 2009
Memories wrote:
Ebenezer Floppen Slopper's is what this place was called. The Chicago Tribune just did a recent article on this.
Actually, to be exact, it was also called Ebenezer Floppen Slopper's Wonderful Water slides.
Explorer

AOL

#10 Nov 2, 2009
I apologise for the mis naming. Apparently, the photo set on flickr of the abandoned water park was the first site I came across about that water park on the hill, and the album had the place named as Roaring Rapids water park instead of Ebenezer Floppen Slopper's Wonderful Water slides.
Article reader

Chicago, IL

#11 Jan 15, 2010
It actually was Ebenezer's until around 1987 when the large concrete slides were re surfaced with bumpy bottoms on which people then slid down solo on inner tubes, getting bumped up and down and sideways while going down the slides, and the place was then renamed "Doc River's Roaring Rapids water park."
Explorer

Chicago, IL

#12 Jan 17, 2010
In case anyone is curious, here is a more detailed description of Roaring Rapids water park/Ebenezer Floppen Slopper's Wonderful Water slides as of July 1st, 2009.

The two main 800 foot concrete slides have a lot of leaves, twigs, and dirt patches on their floors, several spots even growing vines and saplings, one slide has piles of jumbled rubber siding that resembles discarded rugs and carpets, the slides also both have a lot of old tree branches in them, as well as other junk including a rusted fence post, and in a few spots, cracks in the actual concrete floors of the slides have sprouted saplings that are about 6 to 8 feet tall, there are also about a dozen other saplings that have sprouted in the narrow gap between the slides, the paint of the slides is all faded and chipped, the slide walls are loaded with graffiti, the foot bridge has long since collapsed and it's remains are probably buried somewhere, the stairs to the top have rotted away and are now buried by overgrowth. One of the slides had a retaining wall collapse into it, and the slide is now buried up to it's rim for the entire lower 150 feet of it, with about 5 feet of weeds on top of that. The plunge pool at the bottom and the starting pool at the top are completely filled up with dirt, with more weeds on top of that.

The tube slides that went underground and circled around are choked with more leaves and branches, the W-shaped kiddie slide has saplings growing out of it's base and is split and cracked in a dozen places, and both the plunge pool at it's bottom and the starting pool at it's top are filled with muddy water with old leaves and dirt and they resemble marshes, and they probably breed tons of mosquitoes every day.

The flat, multi lane racers are in the worst shape. Their surfacing is loaded with splits and cracks that have sprouted still more weeds and saplings and also have trees and tree branches growing horizontally mere inches off the slide surface, at least one of the slides is actually completely missing some surfacing on the left hand side two lanes just above it's plunge pool, a portion of which has about 2 inches of soil overflow in it with weeds on top of it. Another one has a heap of broken branches and still more weeds just below that.

The hill itself is like an overgrown jungle! Wooden retaining walls that once held elevated gardens and flower beds are continuing to rot and sag and bow outwards very badly, several which look on the verge of collapse. Just above the main slides, the concrete pavement has been buried by years of soil erosion from higher up with more weeds and grasses on top of that. In other places, there is grass that is about 18 inches high, and not to mention more tree branches on the ground. The entrance building is totally gone and the parking lot is loaded with more cracks with weeds growing from those too, and in front of the main slides plunge pool, there is all sorts of rusting junk including jumbled fencing and fence posts, parts of park vehicles, the entrance turnstile lying upside down on the ground.

Someone really needs to do something about this!!! And no, that does Not include or mean walling the whole place off so it can continue to deteriorate and be an eyesore!
Explorer

Chicago, IL

#13 Jan 17, 2010
In addition, by the way, the wading pool just below the W-shaped kiddie inner tube slide is also cracked pretty badly with more weeds in that.

All of this is on that big hill with the billboard on top of it which is located on Roosevelt Road and Route 83, just across the intersection from the Oakbrook Terrace tower.
Peter Lemon-Jello

Medinah, IL

#14 Feb 24, 2010
They will never re-open due to the fact it is built on a garbage hill from the early 1900's its a toxic nightmare.
Fan of water parks

Chicago, IL

#15 Feb 28, 2010
So what if the hill is a landfill? If precautions are taken to prevent gas/methane/odor leaks and the plumbing is sufficiently sealed, the landfill means nothing.
Peter Lemon-Jello

Arlington Heights, IL

#16 Feb 28, 2010
Swamp Thing, The Toxic Crusader, and The Three Eyed Fish feel the same way you do!!!
Fan of water parks wrote:
So what if the hill is a landfill? If precautions are taken to prevent gas/methane/odor leaks and the plumbing is sufficiently sealed, the landfill means nothing.
Serg

Plainfield, IL

#17 Apr 24, 2010
We tried to explore but could not find way into area. Grew up in the late 70's and 80's with this place and we were interested in seeing this place and how it looks now. Shows signs of cameras and wouldn't want to get in trouble ,not there to cause trouble or be unsafe would just like to explore this treasure from our past . I think it should somehow be restored. It's amazing that the slides are even still there after this long of time. Wether it be restored for use or just restored as a viewing for what it was , it's greatness and memory would be fantastic. Looking into it more. Would really like an insider clue on exploring. Any help or advice would be great!
Explorer

Chicago, IL

#18 Apr 28, 2010
Serg wrote:
We tried to explore but could not find way into area. Grew up in the late 70's and 80's with this place and we were interested in seeing this place and how it looks now. Shows signs of cameras and wouldn't want to get in trouble ,not there to cause trouble or be unsafe would just like to explore this treasure from our past . I think it should somehow be restored. It's amazing that the slides are even still there after this long of time. Wether it be restored for use or just restored as a viewing for what it was , it's greatness and memory would be fantastic. Looking into it more. Would really like an insider clue on exploring. Any help or advice would be great!
I saw the signs too, but I did not get in any trouble. And I was on that hill for about a good 50 minutes or so. And nobody said anything to me. Not locals, not workers in the adjacent yard, and not even the police. There are a couple of entrance points on the hill's west side that you can enter the place and explore. Don't worry. The Tribune did an article on this place and it is said that children do actually go exploring on the hill and once in a while they come across the main slides.
Explorer

Chicago, IL

#19 Apr 28, 2010
And in fact, there is not a single spot in that article mentioning about anyone ever getting in trouble for exploring that abandoned water park.
Observer

Chicago, IL

#20 May 6, 2010
Cermak Pool in Lyons, Illinois (just south of Ogden Avenue and just west of the Des Plaines River) almost went that way, too. But unlike Ebenezer Floppen Slopper's Wonderful Water slides, Cermak Pool, after being abandoned for just 2 or 3 years, was renovated and rebuilt into a new mini water park, and today, it is back in business. If they renovated and re opened Cermak Pool, they can do the same with Ebenezer Floppen Slopper's Wonderful Water slides.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) 3 hr Weneedchange 150
Hazel Crest man fatally shot in Harvey 3 hr SAW 1
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 5 hr Blwlgo 1,923
Scavo soon to be back on the loose (Oct '13) 5 hr Taxpayer for years 11
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 hr D-U-H 49,807
15th ave adult bookstore (Oct '11) 5 hr anonymous 872
MP Police/Fire have family residency rule (Jun '13) 9 hr WILDBILL 15
•••
•••
•••

Westchester Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Westchester People Search