UPDATE: Ciao, D'Andrea's: Popular Ita...

UPDATE: Ciao, D'Andrea's: Popular Italian grocer to close Berwyn store

There are 243 comments on the www.chicagosuburbannews.com story from Dec 28, 2007, titled UPDATE: Ciao, D'Andrea's: Popular Italian grocer to close Berwyn store. In it, www.chicagosuburbannews.com reports that:

D'Andrea's Italian Market, a Berwyn landmark for Italian foods, pasta and fresh sausage for three decades, is closing its doors Dec.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.chicagosuburbannews.com.

sharon

United States

#21 Jan 8, 2008
I used to visit this store with my dad. It was always a fun place to go. It was a tradition to go there at least once a month, and always at the holidays, too. I hope it reopens. Their sausage was the absolute best, the absolute best. I went there last Saturday and was stunned that the store had closed. Boo... Please reopen! Thanks.

Since: Dec 07

Milwaukee, WI

#22 Jan 8, 2008
Go to Freddy's. Smaller grocery section but all their homemade food big selection and to die for!! They have the deli too. You have to try a little of everything. Huge sandwiches like beef, meatball, Italian Sub, breaded pork tenderloin OMG!
joey meatballs wrote:
where can i go to buy pasta sauce and lasagna ???
DAndrea Dave

Roselle, IL

#23 Jan 10, 2008
Hey save your dollars for my new Italian Market I plan to open in Berwyn hopefully before Easter
2008. I will have many of the EXACT same products there that you found at D'Andrea's in a new, modern facility with an old world flair. So keep your eyes open & your fingers crossed. We will advertise the Grand Opening in the Life Newspaper & will send out a monster coupon sheet to the people who signed up for my mailing list.
joey meatballs

Hanover Park, IL

#24 Jan 10, 2008
i do not get the life newspaper . you should open an email address and post it here. we can then send you our address's and you can notify us when you have details

“A.K.A. Don Quixote”

Since: Sep 07

Berwyn from 1970 - 2000

#26 Jan 11, 2008
DAndrea Dave wrote:
Hey save your dollars for my new Italian Market I plan to open in Berwyn hopefully before Easter
Where are you planning on opening , I'll keep an eye out on your progress and good luck.
berwyn hottie babe

West Lafayette, IN

#27 Jan 11, 2008
Ah, you can go over by der to Elmwood Park. There is an Eye-tah-lee-ahn store called Caputo's over by der.

Get some Eye-tah-lee-ahn sah-sadge.
deborah

Princeton, IL

#28 Jan 11, 2008
rico wrote:
<quoted text>
What's wrong with going to Cicero?
Cicero is even more Mexican. Al's has been open forever maybe because the old lady owns the building that's why she is still there. Freddy's (in Cicero) owns their own building. Very prudent! I have been shopping at D'Andrea's forever myself; I will miss D'Andrea very much. But I do love Freddy's more; they make their own cold cuts the supprasaude is delicious and amazing.
deborah

Princeton, IL

#29 Jan 11, 2008
DBJR wrote:
What a disappointment that D'Andreas closed! When I moved to Berwyn 10 years ago one of the first places I went to is D'Andreas. I hope that they reopen somewhere close.
As far as the rather racist comments from Rico (who claims to be in LaGrange which is my hometown and 95% upper middle class white). The way Berwyn is throwing up condos and redeveloping Roosevelt road, I would not hold your breath on a "reconquestidor" of Berwyn. Considering there is no more space to build in Oak Park, Forest Park or Riverside the most logical place is Berwyn.
Mexicans owns their own building; white people will have to buy at a premium. They will build around the owners, thank you very much.
Jon

Griffith, IN

#30 Jan 12, 2008
The average Mexican building owner is barely hanging on. Once gentrification happens they will have to sell because they won't be able to afford the taxes. Happening in Pilsen and will happen in Berwyn/Cicero eventually. Give it time.
Jon

Griffith, IN

#31 Jan 12, 2008
You need education if you want to compete in the U.S. economy. The Mexican community doesn't yet get this, which is why they're always moving on to cheaper lands. Maybe in two generations, but for now they're on the run. Their stop in Berwyn, Cicero, Waukeegan, is only temporary. No way they're gonna stay in the inner-ring. They'll be gone from these areas in 10 years, just like they're being pushed from Chicago.
rico

United States

#32 Jan 13, 2008
Jon wrote:
You need education if you want to compete in the U.S. economy. The Mexican community doesn't yet get this, which is why they're always moving on to cheaper lands. Maybe in two generations, but for now they're on the run. Their stop in Berwyn, Cicero, Waukeegan, is only temporary. No way they're gonna stay in the inner-ring. They'll be gone from these areas in 10 years, just like they're being pushed from Chicago.
Damn Berwyn has to wait 10 years!!
DAndrea Dave

Broadview, IL

#33 Jan 13, 2008
Jayelem wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are you planning on opening , I'll keep an eye out on your progress and good luck.
Still up for grabs but in Berwyn for sure.
DAndrea Dave

Broadview, IL

#34 Jan 13, 2008
deborah wrote:
<quoted text> Cicero is even more Mexican. Al's has been open forever maybe because the old lady owns the building that's why she is still there. Freddy's (in Cicero) owns their own building. Very prudent! I have been shopping at D'Andrea's forever myself; I will miss D'Andrea very much. But I do love Freddy's more; they make their own cold cuts the supprasaude is delicious and amazing.
They make their own what?
are they FDA Approved.
the blogfather

Astoria, NY

#35 Jan 13, 2008
DAndrea Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
They make their own what?
are they FDA Approved.
YOU ARE A CLASSLESS SELF PROMOTER
black pete

Hanover Park, IL

#36 Jan 14, 2008
mexican or italian .......whats the difference ?????
DAndrea Dave

Broadview, IL

#37 Jan 15, 2008
the blogfather wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU ARE A CLASSLESS SELF PROMOTER
No Just trying to provide information to the public
that want to know. You sir are clueless as to who i am so i won't pay attention to your ignorance.
Have a nice day.
dandrea junkie

Elgin, IL

#38 Jan 15, 2008
alright, now that the shock has passed and you really need a sausage fix - go to Capri Italian Grocery, 7323 W North Avenue in River Forest (just west of Harlem on the south side of the street). They have great sausage (and I've been traveling all over the city to find a replacement for D'Andrea) and all kinds of homemade sauces, pasta and pizza dough (and it's cleaner too!!) Enjoy!!
the blogfather

AOL

#39 Jan 15, 2008
DAndrea Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
No Just trying to provide information to the public
that want to know. You sir are clueless as to who i am so i won't pay attention to your ignorance.
Have a nice day.
GOOD COMEBACK, BUT YOUR WHOLE PITCH IS A TRANSPARENT LIE.
HAVE A GREAT DAY
dandrea junkie

Elgin, IL

#40 Jan 15, 2008
capril - north avenue & harlem - just as good if not better
joey meatballs wrote:
where can i go to buy pasta sauce and lasagna ???
Taresa

Broadview, IL

#41 Jan 15, 2008
To the blogfather. What do you know? You are a classless self promoter of your own ignorance. Their is no pitch here. You are not from Chicago but NY. Keep your opinions on your side of the state line. Unless you know what D'Andrea's Italian Market was, you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Oh that's right that would make you clueless. I would suggest you educate yourself before making unwarranted remarks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
federal agents in melrose park 7/25/16 3 hr Archangel 13
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! (Nov '13) 8 hr Logic 1,588
15th ave adult bookstore (Oct '11) 10 hr Ex Melrose Parker 960
Review: Asset Recovery Associates ARA Inc 12 hr Abe Martin 69
News 15 Wounded In Tuesday Shootings Across Chicago 15 hr BirF Control 3
Tokar Fest 2017 Thu Muhamad Muhamad M... 14
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) Thu USA Muslim Soldier 8,886

Westchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance