UPDATE: Ciao, D'Andrea's: Popular Italian grocer to close Berwyn store

Dec 28, 2007 Full story: www.chicagosuburbannews.com 243

D'Andrea's Italian Market, a Berwyn landmark for Italian foods, pasta and fresh sausage for three decades, is closing its doors Dec.

Full Story
First Prev
of 13
Next Last
rico

Fairport, NY

#1 Dec 28, 2007
Maybe they can open a Mexican store there.

Since: Nov 07

Chicago

#2 Dec 28, 2007
WHAT!? This is the best Italian store in IL. I feel like I just heard someone died. I have been going to this store since I was a kid. How sad.
KilroyROCK

Pleasanton, CA

#3 Dec 29, 2007
rico wrote:
Maybe they can open a Mexican store there.
Yeah, like we need another one, NOT!

“A.K.A. Don Quixote”

Since: Sep 07

Berwyn from 1970 - 2000

#4 Dec 29, 2007
capri33 wrote:
WHAT!? This is the best Italian store in IL. I feel like I just heard someone died. I have been going to this store since I was a kid. How sad.
After having lived in Berwyn for 30 years I must admit that this place will be missed , a little too pricey for me but I agree that they had good quality.

Don't know if I care too much for a Food 4 Less grocery store , but I can see this as another reason D'andreas will exit Cermak Plaza.

Mexican Grocery stores are a dime a dozen , I like a multi-ethnic food store overall.
Present-Berwynit e

Schererville, IN

#5 Dec 29, 2007
There's already several Mexican grocery stores in Berwyn/Cicero. That market is more than adequately served. The Plaza isn't a particularly pleasing location at this point, which probably contributed to the demise of D'Andreas. It needs to be updated or, better, demolished and rebuilt into a place that's a draw.
the blogfather

AOL

#6 Dec 30, 2007
LEAVE THE GUN, TAKE THE CANOLI
Dawn

Anniston, AL

#7 Dec 31, 2007
Today was their last day.:(
I am there with you, I second that emotion, I walked in there today and it actually brought a tear to my eye. I even took a picture like a dork. I too have been going there since I was a child, always with my Gram, including today. All of our stores are vanishing! If Freddy's ever went, I don't know what I would do!
capri33 wrote:
rico

Fairport, NY

#8 Jan 1, 2008
Now all is left is to get rid of the Italian Labor Day Fest and replace it with a Mexican Labor Day Fest!! Viva Berwyn!! And all the liberal whites that let this happen!! Viva!!!
Don Quixote

Normal, IL

#9 Jan 1, 2008
rico wrote:
Now all is left is to get rid of the Italian Labor Day Fest and replace it with a Mexican Labor Day Fest!! Viva Berwyn!! And all the liberal whites that let this happen!! Viva!!!
Rico you are such a JAG - OFF , really !!!!!

The thread is about an Italian grocery store that closed it's doors and the people who will miss it and their comments.

You then come here and respond with one sided trash talking comments about Mexicans , and that is basically your agenda on Topix and frankly it shows how ignorant you really are.
rico

Fairport, NY

#10 Jan 1, 2008
Don Quixote wrote:
<quoted text>
Rico you are such a JAG - OFF , really !!!!!
The thread is about an Italian grocery store that closed it's doors and the people who will miss it and their comments.
You then come here and respond with one sided trash talking comments about Mexicans , and that is basically your agenda on Topix and frankly it shows how ignorant you really are.
Majority of Mexicans are not going to buy at an Italian grocery store. And since Berwyn is majority Mexican, that's why that store is closing.
Lucia 711

Brookfield, IL

#11 Jan 3, 2008
Well, I heard that the real reason they closed is due to the $10,000/month rent they pay was suppose to go up even more after the first of the year. That's why there are so many vacant stores in that plaza, the owner rather see them empty and not collect any rent at all for years rather than coming down on the price (like Service Merchandise how many years has it been?) But I did hear the owner of D'Andreas say he is currently looking for another place in Berwyn to set up shop. I will keep my fingers crossed. I still will not give up hope for Berwyn!
Don Quixote

Normal, IL

#12 Jan 3, 2008
Lucia 711 wrote:
Well, I heard that the real reason they closed is due to the $10,000/month rent they pay was suppose to go up even more after the first of the year.
Ouch !!!!

Another good reason the imported delicacies were pricey , I hope they find a place too.
Traveler for Good Eats

Wheaton, IL

#13 Jan 3, 2008
I hope the owners and Reality company involved read this. I just trvaeled more than 60 miles to get my usual supplies from D'Anreas's and was shocked at the closeing. But I was not the only one. Within 2 minutes 4 of us were gather outside with jaws dropped and in utter dispair over where have they moves and why. We even asked neighboring stores if they knew of details. So if I, who was only there in freezing cold temps and winds for five minutes, and quite a distance was joined by a few locals who were all egualing suffering at this loss, imagine the number of people in one day, two days. YOU MUST RE-OPEN. I worked in Cicero. I will not travel to Cicero to get my good eats.The Bohemian goods are still there but I will not go there even for that. Please, please re-open Somewhere!!
Dawn wrote:
Today was their last day.:(
I am there with you, I second that emotion, I walked in there today and it actually brought a tear to my eye. I even took a picture like a dork. I too have been going there since I was a child, always with my Gram, including today. All of our stores are vanishing! If Freddy's ever went, I don't know what I would do!
<quoted text>
rico

Fairport, NY

#14 Jan 3, 2008
Traveler for Good Eats wrote:
I hope the owners and Reality company involved read this. I just trvaeled more than 60 miles to get my usual supplies from D'Anreas's and was shocked at the closeing. But I was not the only one. Within 2 minutes 4 of us were gather outside with jaws dropped and in utter dispair over where have they moves and why. We even asked neighboring stores if they knew of details. So if I, who was only there in freezing cold temps and winds for five minutes, and quite a distance was joined by a few locals who were all egualing suffering at this loss, imagine the number of people in one day, two days. YOU MUST RE-OPEN. I worked in Cicero. I will not travel to Cicero to get my good eats.The Bohemian goods are still there but I will not go there even for that. Please, please re-open Somewhere!!<quoted text>
What's wrong with going to Cicero?
Italian Chicago Chef

La Grange Park, IL

#15 Jan 4, 2008
Are you kidding me??!??!?!?! Just what we need!!!
Italian Chicago Chef

La Grange Park, IL

#16 Jan 4, 2008
Rico-what's wrong with you? Why make it into a race issue when we should all be able to live together in a community that has ALL ethnicities! I'm sorry....is that word not in your vocabulary? Cicero needs a face lift too! Berwyn is a great community and should be given the chance to "upgrade."
DBJR

United States

#17 Jan 5, 2008
What a disappointment that D'Andreas closed! When I moved to Berwyn 10 years ago one of the first places I went to is D'Andreas. I hope that they reopen somewhere close.
As far as the rather racist comments from Rico (who claims to be in LaGrange which is my hometown and 95% upper middle class white). The way Berwyn is throwing up condos and redeveloping Roosevelt road, I would not hold your breath on a "reconquestidor" of Berwyn. Considering there is no more space to build in Oak Park, Forest Park or Riverside the most logical place is Berwyn.
joey meatballs

West Chicago, IL

#18 Jan 5, 2008
where can i go to buy pasta sauce and lasagna ???
rico

Fairport, NY

#19 Jan 5, 2008
DBJR wrote:
What a disappointment that D'Andreas closed! When I moved to Berwyn 10 years ago one of the first places I went to is D'Andreas. I hope that they reopen somewhere close.
As far as the rather racist comments from Rico (who claims to be in LaGrange which is my hometown and 95% upper middle class white). The way Berwyn is throwing up condos and redeveloping Roosevelt road, I would not hold your breath on a "reconquestidor" of Berwyn. Considering there is no more space to build in Oak Park, Forest Park or Riverside the most logical place is Berwyn.
I hope your right.
Italian Chicago Chef

La Grange Park, IL

#20 Jan 6, 2008
Joey Meatballs-it's a little bit of a hike, but you can go to Caputo's on North and 15th or Joe's Market over on Irving Park Road and Cumberland. Hope this helps.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man Found Dead At Cicero Peep Show (Aug '07) 3 hr rico 5
Disco Dave Conrad Mayors choice 4 hr Mike 9
At least 3 wounded in Chicago shootings 11 hr reality is a crutch 1
Neal Muller charged in fatal accident (Feb '09) 21 hr SuckMeOff 14
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! (Nov '13) 22 hr Stewpider 1,286
15th ave adult bookstore (Oct '11) Wed enticeme2u 879
20-year-old dies after fall from window in Chicago Wed reality is a crutch 1
Westchester Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web