Insisting On Sober Students

Full story: Hartford Courant

School districts across the state are showing a growing interest in adopting breathalyzer policies to make sure students don't show up drunk at school dances.
Comments
1 - 20 of 75 Comments Last updated Feb 10, 2008
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Hope

Enfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

I am encouraged to see that our schools are becoming more involved in pro-active measures to prevent the bad decisions that young, vulnerable and immature kids sometimes make that can have really bad consequences. How else can you confront a problem, unless you can identify that problem. We have known forever that many students will push the envelope and drink before arriving at the party, so this is a way to prove it. I should think that
parents would greatly appreciate having the adult school chaperones help in this monumental task of setting guidelines for our young kids.
Mr Common Sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

There will be people complaining this is a totalitarian policy. Guess what,it is illegal for minors to be in posession of alcohol. If you don't break the law you have nothing to fear.
Konnecticut_Bett er_Yet

Brewster, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

Mr Common Sense wrote:
There will be people complaining this is a totalitarian policy. Guess what,it is illegal for minors to be in posession of alcohol. If you don't break the law you have nothing to fear.
Of course there will be people complaining--it's true. These are school administrators and schoool board members. They should have at least a middle school level grasp of Civics. Apparently not.

So much for the presumption of innocence. These people are a disgrace to knowledge and education and to the country and everything it stands for.

So, a small group of brd. members and admins. can violate someone's rights for your own self image, without consequence, but have a drink as a minor and you go to jail? Ummm...that would be the definition of totalitarianism. Heck, that's probably a grade-school definition.

Tens of millions for public school budgets and this is what board and administrators come back with? This is what they have to resort to to solve their problems (or at least problems that reflect negatively on them and their district)? Pathetic. If a student was given the same problem as a problem solving exercise and came back with the same solution, he'd get an 'F.'

Ever wonder why your district's big bad zero tolerance policy only works one way? Because there would be no scool boards or administrators. Sometimes it's hard to tell who the students are, listening to these morons. Jesus, pick up a history book already.
Hope

Enfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

Konnecticut_Better_Yet wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course there will be people complaining--it's true. These are school administrators and schoool board members. They should have at least a middle school level grasp of Civics. Apparently not.
So much for the presumption of innocence. These people are a disgrace to knowledge and education and to the country and everything it stands for.
So, a small group of brd. members and admins. can violate someone's rights for your own self image, without consequence, but have a drink as a minor and you go to jail? Ummm...that would be the definition of totalitarianism. Heck, that's probably a grade-school definition.
Tens of millions for public school budgets and this is what board and administrators come back with? This is what they have to resort to to solve their problems (or at least problems that reflect negatively on them and their district)? Pathetic. If a student was given the same problem as a problem solving exercise and came back with the same solution, he'd get an 'F.'
Ever wonder why your district's big bad zero tolerance policy only works one way? Because there would be no scool boards or administrators. Sometimes it's hard to tell who the students are, listening to these morons. Jesus, pick up a history book already.
I am sorry, but I do not understand a word of your ramble. Please explain your message. If a
minor shows up at a school dance after consuming alcohol s/he is breaking the law. If s/he has not been drinking, s/he has nothing to worry about. How can that possible be offensive to anyone? If you have nothing to hide, why are you uncomfortable in being transparent. If one's personal comfort zone is that small, perhaps they would benefit from some therapy to help them feel better about themselves.
tkay

East Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

Do the teachers/chaperones at the dance have to take the breathalyzer?
School Dances Suck

Deep River, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

In seventh grade they refused me and a buddy admission to our Fri night dance because we had a few beers before going. That was the last school dance I ever attempted to attend. The weekend keg parties in the woods presented much less social and legal pressure to conform to. And the school dance music sucked, according to talk at school: disco! By contrast, some great local rock musicians among our cohort developed their earliest performance skills at those sing-along parties! Those were some of the greatest times of my life! Met my wife at one of those parties, made lots of great friends, some of whom I still keep in touch with 30 years later!
butane

Wethersfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

Yeah - that's just what we need. A community breathalizer that everybody in the school gets to blow.

Sorry but I wouldn't want to blow into that thing after the first person in line happened to be the slutty cheerleader who was just blowing the foot ball jock in his Camaro in the Denny's parking lot before the dance.

Also, how accurate is this test? What if they were using mouth wash? Had a mint with alcohol in it? etc.

Sounds a bit unconstitutional as well.

A swaying walk? What if the kid happens to be a black (or white kid) who sags his pants and is just doing the pimp walk?

Slurred speech? What if he's chewing gum, just had caramel, or has braces or a retainer?

That's ok kids, you guys can still smoke crack and blunts, pop pills and shoot up IV drugs without being caught.

All the school dances I went to as a kid would have probably been a lot more enjoyable if I could have consumed some bath-tub moonshine prior to attending.

And as School Dances Suck put it - at least at a dance they are supervised. That's ok tho - lets let the kids go out in the woods, get f***d up, stab each other (like the story a few months ago), etc
School Dances Suck

Deep River, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

Stabbed? Holy cow! I don't remember even 1 fight in all the hundreds of keg parties I went to in my teenage years. We were hippies and knew better than the Reagan-Greed-Cynicism that was washing over the official culture of our elders and peers.
Not the AP

La Puente, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

It is unconstitutional. It is not a matter of complaining about it. It is not a matter if whether or not society accepts it. It is not Constitutional and should not be permitted.

I do not care what is illegal or legal. Schools are educational institutions supported by the taxpayers.

This means that asking for a breathalyzer test is causing the school to act out of its legally intended capacity.
School Dances Suck

Deep River, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

Its a big Civics lesson. It prepares the kids for the police state they are growing up in. Compare these kids' expectations of privacy and limits to govt power compared to the expectations of such that we had 30 years ago. The Bill of Rights and the Constitution will have been interpreted into nothing within a few more decades of the "police-our-every-move " hysteria of the Good Germans that populate our great USA.
Jon

Sloatsburg, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

So they'll end up doing illegal drugs instead, or just going to keg parties. At least at a school dance they are supervised, breathalizer tests won't stop the kids from drinking.
Bob

North Haven, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

kids will be kids, who didnt drink a little when they were teens
jeff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

I used to show up at he dances smashed out of my mind, no harm done. Why nit take a blood test and a urine test to ensure the little darlings haven't smoked a bit of crack, taken a bit of meth, heroin or pot. Then we should do psych tests to ensure the little ones are stable and meet the norm as described by the PTA, don't go near my kid with your tests, I have instructed my kids that they do not have to speak to anyone without legal representation, includes cops and teachers.
Stop the Nonsense

Fall River, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

tkay wrote:
Do the teachers/chaperones at the dance have to take the breathalyzer?
Good point - I will bet not... if the teachers and chaperones have to submit, they will be buying their drugs from the same places that the kids are turning to.
Mike

South Windsor, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

School Dances Suck wrote:
In seventh grade they refused me and a buddy admission to our Fri night dance because we had a few beers before going. That was the last school dance I ever attempted to attend. The weekend keg parties in the woods presented much less social and legal pressure to conform to. And the school dance music sucked,
The legal age for consumption of alcohol is 21, and what been for some time. While 12 you had "a few beers" before going to a school function, and you are upset with the school for denying you admission? You should have not only been denied admission, but you should have been detained, and your parents charged with risk of injury to a minor.
not gonna lie

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

that'll just stop students from going to the dances, lowering revenue for the school....my high school always just had a if you're WASTED or drinking AT the dance, you're gone, otherwise they just looked the other way....that way they made plenty of money from the cover charge, no one got hurt, and everyone was happy
patriot act

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

"If s/he has not been drinking, s/he has nothing to worry about. How can that possible be offensive to anyone? If you have nothing to hide, why are you uncomfortable in being transparent"

if you don't talk about any illegal activity, why do you have such a problem having your phone lines tapped by the government? it's a violation of space. if i showed up sober, and was forced to take a breathalyzer despite having NO evidence that i was under the influence of anything, i'd leave immediately. that IS offensive, and wrong
Wow

Vernon Rockville, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

You guys are really reaching here. Unconstitutional??? Show me where in the Bill of Rights that it says a child is allowed to show up drunk to a school dance. I for one think that these schools need to step it up a notch. Breathalyzers are a simple technology, and theyre legally defensible, which means the results hold up in court. The plastic piece you blow into is disposable, so theres no chance of Suzy Q. Cheerleader giving you the herpes. And these are children. Theyre big children that scream and cry when they dont get their way, but theyre children. They have no rights under the law. They are the property of their parents and when they are in a school building they are in the legal custody of the school administrator. That administrator has the duty to ensure that they are both safe and compliant with the law. I can assure you that if a student ever died from alcohol poisoning in a public school building that the entirety of the school staff would be called on the carpet and blamed mercilessly for the child's actions.
Bluebird

Windsor, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

jeff wrote:
don't go near my kid with your tests, I have instructed my kids that they do not have to speak to anyone without legal representation, includes cops and teachers.
Good point!!
Often kids are isolated and then intimidated by the adults in power -- resulting in forced confessions, self-incrimination, or incriminating others.
I have instructed my kids that it is OK, and well within their rights, to respectfully decline to speak with any school teachers, administrators, or board of ed members until one of their parents are present. I just do not trust that the public schools have my childs best interest at heart.
Unfortunately, in my town kids are told to 'fess up and things will go easier on them. Then the kids get the book thrown at them.
Konnecticut_Bett er_Yet

Brewster, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

Wow wrote:
You guys are really reaching here. Unconstitutional??? Show me where in the Bill of Rights that it says a child is allowed to show up drunk to a school dance. I for one think that these schools need to step it up a notch. Breathalyzers are a simple technology, and theyre legally defensible, which means the results hold up in court. The plastic piece you blow into is disposable, so theres no chance of Suzy Q. Cheerleader giving you the herpes. And these are children. Theyre big children that scream and cry when they dont get their way, but theyre children. They have no rights under the law. They are the property of their parents and when they are in a school building they are in the legal custody of the school administrator. That administrator has the duty to ensure that they are both safe and compliant with the law. I can assure you that if a student ever died from alcohol poisoning in a public school building that the entirety of the school staff would be called on the carpet and blamed mercilessly for the child's actions.
It's called the fourth amendment of the bill of rights. The Nazis need probable cause before they can start sticking their incompetent noses where they think it belongs.

And it is exactly people like you why we need a bill of rights. So you think government should be able to pry anywhere where they please at their own whim, because people shouldn't be doing anything wrong? It's disgusting what people like you are doing to this great country.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Westbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ME Who do you support for Governor in Maine in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 18 Its the PENSIONS 112
Jets fly over Portland to honor retiring pilot Jul '14 John Smith 1
Illegal Immigrant Surge Jul '14 American 1
Beach to Beacon Jul '14 Dale 1
Armed immigration agents raid Westbrook eatery (Sep '11) Jul '14 dirtbag1958 11
ME Maine Conservation Bonds Issue, Question 3 (Oct '10) Feb '14 Mark Chaisty 6
Officer Brian Olsen (Jun '12) Oct '13 Your mom 2

Search the Westbrook Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Westbrook Jobs

•••