Laurel Lake ramp closes

Laurel Lake ramp closes

There are 134 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Jul 9, 2009, titled Laurel Lake ramp closes. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

The state Department of Fish and Game has closed the boat ramp at Laurel Lake in Lee, where zebra mussels were confirmed last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Search this

“THE END”

Since: Jun 09

Sweden

#121 Jul 13, 2009
ramdan wrote:
<quoted text>
Tom,you have been drawn into Hellers game,fold them and walk away before you waste more time and energy on a loser!
hey Mr. R.

Losers or winners, I have to answer the questions.That would be rude if I got arrogant or came on as a know it all.I learn something new everyday.

Who knows I might get lucky and get an offer from Ruberto or Hines to be a guest speaker on their show.
HellerCarbonCapN TradeLLC

Germantown, MD

#122 Jul 13, 2009
Search this wrote:
<quoted text>
There is more to it than $300. For the 3 Years research into this , I would change your "IF you were motivated to your are motivated
Let's suppose I rented the hall, what's the next step? Getting the public to show up. How would they know there is to be a meeting on the issues?
thru media coverage, which is ruled by City Hall.
Also I am not arguing with you GMH, nor am I making this a joke. This is a very serious matter, to those that have some knowledge of the issue, know that I'm talking true.
Time to stop complaining about 'process' and just get on with the work of getting the meeting together and getting the word out.
How does anyone with a political 'message' notify and motivate as many people as possible?
Be thankful you've got access to the Internet to notify the folks and to make an end-run around the entrenched imperious local media like The Berkshire Eagle.
In addition to the Internet (including this Topix site which is a perfect venue to get the word out concerning any upcoming meeting event), you can for about 8 cents per copy at Office Depot or Staples, photocopy a couple hundred notices which you can then put up around Pittsfield and throughout the county to notify people of the date, time and subject matter of a meeting.
Maybe if you ask nice The Pittsfield Gazette, The Berkshire Record in Great Barrington, and other weekly and local publications will give the meeting some hype.
Also, it helps to send a notice to the many village publications (like Monterey News, Sandisfield News, etc.) which help get the word out on any proposed meetings of local interest (and PCB contamination and the apparent lack of action by fed/state/GE are definitely topics of local interest).
Bottom line:
Find a venue.
Set up a definite meeting date and time.
Recommend no less than 30 days away (in order to allow plenty of time to get the word out) and to compose the agenda for the meeting.
Recommend a weekday evening when Pittsfield City Council is NOT in session.
Put up posters on supermarket and town bulletin boards all over the county notifying folks of the meeting.
Post notice on Topix and on a web page detailing the proposed agenda for the meeting (subject of course to change as you think of more stuff.)
Invite all the county's environmental players like Tim Gray, George Wislocki, Rachel Fletcher, and even include GE's present pointman, etc.
Invite all the local media including specific reporters who you know know their stuff.(Ben De la mater and Derek Gentile at The Eagle, Ed Shepardson at The Berkshire Record, Jonathan Levine at The Pittsfield Gazette, WAMC's current environmental reporter, Dan Valenti, Sherman Baldwin, etc.)
Recommendation: Do NOT charge admission of any sort, but you can request donations at the end of the meeting to offset the costs you have incurred.
Any other questions?

Germantown, MD

#123 Jul 13, 2009
Remember, this is YOUR show: YOU are the producer and director (as well as emcee); and you are ultimately responsible for the meet's success.
So think positive, think big, and prepare, prepare, prepare.

Search this

“THE END”

Sweden

#124 Jul 14, 2009
HellerCarbonCapNTradeLLC wrote:
Remember, this is YOUR show: YOU are the producer and director (as well as emcee); and you are ultimately responsible for the meet's success.
So think positive, think big, and prepare, prepare, prepare.
Thanks GMH, you've given me a direction to go onto, I appreciate it.There's a lot to it.

Germantown, MD

#125 Jul 14, 2009
Search this wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks GMH, you've given me a direction to go onto, I appreciate it.There's a lot to it.
Once you get this ball rolling, a lot of others may chip in with suggestions.
Sam

Clifton Park, NY

#126 Jul 14, 2009
I've lived in the Morningside area almost all my life, sadly. Some parts are good, and we have normal working class people trying to make ends meet. Other areas...

Anyhow, our area was pretty much the epicenter of GE's toxic waste.

I grew up around Silver lake...even fell in once...**shiver** My brother found Jimmy Bernardo's bike in that lake. We played around that toxic dump and who knows what will happen to us later, and to our children.

My son has adhd and aspergers (a form of autism). My daughter seems OK now, but my sister has polycystic ovaries which is a reproductive disorder. We won't know until my baby girl is older if she'll be OK.

My grandfather worked at GE for as far back as I can remember. I'm sure he brought home chemical infused clothing.

I saw a study once on the local health effects of PCBs. No-one has ever gotten any help because of this. We all have to deal with our skin disorders, respritory, and reproductive disorders as if they had nothing to do with it.

At the very least anyone who lives in Pitts should have free healthcare.

At the very least.

I'm all in for a class action suit. The city gets all the money and it doesn't go into the areas that have been devistated by GE's closing or it's toxins.

We have the worst school, and crappy roads, and crumbling sidewalks. We get nothing.

Since: May 08

Queensbury, NY

#127 Jul 14, 2009
<quoted text>
Time to stop complaining about 'process' and just get on with the work of getting the meeting together and getting the word out.
How does anyone with a political 'message' notify and motivate as many people as possible?
Be thankful you've got access to the Internet to notify the folks and to make an end-run around the entrenched imperious local media like The Berkshire Eagle.
In addition to the Internet (including this Topix site which is a perfect venue to get the word out concerning any upcoming meeting event), you can for about 8 cents per copy at Office Depot or Staples, photocopy a couple hundred notices which you can then put up around Pittsfield and throughout the county to notify people of the date, time and subject matter of a meeting.
Maybe if you ask nice The Pittsfield Gazette, The Berkshire Record in Great Barrington, and other weekly and local publications will give the meeting some hype.
Also, it helps to send a notice to the many village publications (like Monterey News, Sandisfield News, etc.) which help get the word out on any proposed meetings of local interest (and PCB contamination and the apparent lack of action by fed/state/GE are definitely topics of local interest).
Bottom line:
Find a venue.
Set up a definite meeting date and time.
Recommend no less than 30 days away (in order to allow plenty of time to get the word out) and to compose the agenda for the meeting.
Recommend a weekday evening when Pittsfield City Council is NOT in session.
Put up posters on supermarket and town bulletin boards all over the county notifying folks of the meeting.
Post notice on Topix and on a web page detailing the proposed agenda for the meeting (subject of course to change as you think of more stuff.)
Invite all the county's environmental players like Tim Gray, George Wislocki, Rachel Fletcher, and even include GE's present pointman, etc.
Invite all the local media including specific reporters who you know know their stuff.(Ben De la mater and Derek Gentile at The Eagle, Ed Shepardson at The Berkshire Record, Jonathan Levine at The Pittsfield Gazette, WAMC's current environmental reporter, Dan Valenti, Sherman Baldwin, etc.)
Recommendation: Do NOT charge admission of any sort, but you can request donations at the end of the meeting to offset the costs you have incurred.
Any other questions?
I apologize for my earlier post concerning your agenda! You truly have offered some very good advice,and now it is time for Tom to do something with it!

Search this

“THE END”

Sweden

#128 Jul 14, 2009
The city already had opportunity for class action suits, but Hickey and Doyle fixed that with the signing of the Consent Decree. Just ask the residents of Newell st.and the Brattlebrook park neighborhoods, where a few sold out to GE others wanted to wait for more, but GE had a clause implemented that after the signing of the CD, that no more new law suits could be brought against them.
The only way to have anything done with this sediment stockpile problem is to have the whole county,{because of the river} is to sign a petition or Binding referendum having the EPA turn on The SUPERFUND POWERS and remove the sediments of Hill 78, PEDA, GE's site and the river to some one elses yard, like GE is doing with the Hudson river sediments, those are being railed to Texas. even if lawsuits were in order, then GE would have opportunity to fight it with lengthy court sessions.
EPA has to apply SUPERFUND LAWS to remove sediments and cover the cost with Federal funds, along with GE's money.
The fire has had time to cool off and there are only a few hot coals {people} left who really care about this.It is obvious when 10 people out of a few hundred here on Topix respond.
One person even 10 people will have a hard time getting results on this issue.ask HRI,BEAT, THE RIVER assoc.

I stick around on these threads in hopes the numbers would grow,by showing the damage and fraud that I've found that has been given to the public and then covered up, by the powers within.but many believe me to be nuts and believe the officials story to be accurate. 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Germantown, MD

#129 Jul 14, 2009
Search this wrote:
The city already had opportunity for class action suits, but Hickey and Doyle fixed that with the signing of the Consent Decree. Just ask the residents of Newell st.and the Brattlebrook park neighborhoods, where a few sold out to GE others wanted to wait for more, but GE had a clause implemented that after the signing of the CD, that no more new law suits could be brought against them.
The only way to have anything done with this sediment stockpile problem is to have the whole county,{because of the river} is to sign a petition or Binding referendum having the EPA turn on The SUPERFUND POWERS and remove the sediments of Hill 78, PEDA, GE's site and the river to some one elses yard, like GE is doing with the Hudson river sediments, those are being railed to Texas. even if lawsuits were in order, then GE would have opportunity to fight it with lengthy court sessions.
EPA has to apply SUPERFUND LAWS to remove sediments and cover the cost with Federal funds, along with GE's money.
The fire has had time to cool off and there are only a few hot coals {people} left who really care about this.It is obvious when 10 people out of a few hundred here on Topix respond.
One person even 10 people will have a hard time getting results on this issue.ask HRI,BEAT, THE RIVER assoc.
I stick around on these threads in hopes the numbers would grow,by showing the damage and fraud that I've found that has been given to the public and then covered up, by the powers within.but many believe me to be nuts and believe the officials story to be accurate. 1 step forward 2 steps back.
Bring all this up at the meeting.
Lay out all the facts.

Singled out

“You can't keep the truth down”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#130 Jul 15, 2009
This is the door to the fradulent claims and the reasons for a quick fix clean-up, cover-up, by
the EPA/GE.
The promises of a clean up of the 1998 scenario, before, during and after the signing of the C/D, have been altered to a....
Scrape off the top layer,tarp it,{as a protective barrier},and cover it with 8" of topsoil,vs. a true cleaning of excavating the contaminated soils,treating those soils with a burning heat or {thermal absorbtion},[which is the only real effective means of destroying PCBs} and then landfilling those treated materials, or reuse those materials on site.

Those bldgs on Tyler st. and Woodlawn ave. are a good example of dillution,{which is against EPAs laws}, in order to pile them on Hill 78, which was supposed to be maxed out 2 years ago, at a cap level of 40'.It's GE's closest area that permits the fill to go there, APPROVED by EPA, MADEP, CITY OFFICIALS and HEALTH dept.These groups are the real enemies, for they okayed the move.

It's all about cost assesstment now and not about clean for habitat use.
Compare Pittsfield with other NPL sites and it shows we are getting the short straw.

Just keep these things in mind folks for the future, if we can corner this problem, to do something about it.

Again I say, that a referendum, telling the City, State and Fed gov. offices , we want the landfilled areas removed out of City limits, and to tell the owner of Silver Lake {The State of Mass.} to empty and dredge the lake {as was done to the Little Lake Wisconsin pcb ladened lake,{pictures posted on topix pictures}.This is not a complaint.This is ammo for a movement of power.

Germantown, MD

#131 Jul 15, 2009
Singled out wrote:
This is the door to the fradulent claims and the reasons for a quick fix clean-up, cover-up, by
the EPA/GE.
The promises of a clean up of the 1998 scenario, before, during and after the signing of the C/D, have been altered to a....
Scrape off the top layer,tarp it,{as a protective barrier},and cover it with 8" of topsoil,vs. a true cleaning of excavating the contaminated soils,treating those soils with a burning heat or {thermal absorbtion},[which is the only real effective means of destroying PCBs} and then landfilling those treated materials, or reuse those materials on site.
Those bldgs on Tyler st. and Woodlawn ave. are a good example of dillution,{which is against EPAs laws}, in order to pile them on Hill 78, which was supposed to be maxed out 2 years ago, at a cap level of 40'.It's GE's closest area that permits the fill to go there, APPROVED by EPA, MADEP, CITY OFFICIALS and HEALTH dept.These groups are the real enemies, for they okayed the move.
It's all about cost assesstment now and not about clean for habitat use.
Compare Pittsfield with other NPL sites and it shows we are getting the short straw.
Just keep these things in mind folks for the future, if we can corner this problem, to do something about it.
Again I say, that a referendum, telling the City, State and Fed gov. offices , we want the landfilled areas removed out of City limits, and to tell the owner of Silver Lake {The State of Mass.} to empty and dredge the lake {as was done to the Little Lake Wisconsin pcb ladened lake,{pictures posted on topix pictures}.This is not a complaint.This is ammo for a movement of power.
Bring all this stuff up at a public meeting where people can ask questions and see your documentation.
It's just verbiage here.

Search this

“THE END”

Sweden

#132 Jul 15, 2009
<quoted text>
Bring all this stuff up at a public meeting where people can ask questions and see your documentation.
It's just verbiage here.
but useful {stuff} verbiage for those here that don't know about it, that may not attend a meeting. Going into all avenues is better than just 1.
Just because you are the only commentor, doesn't mean you're the only reader.

Germantown, MD

#133 Jul 15, 2009
Search this wrote:
<quoted text>
but useful {stuff} verbiage for those here that don't know about it, that may not attend a meeting. Going into all avenues is better than just 1.
Just because you are the only commentor, doesn't mean you're the only reader.
True.

Singled out

“You can't keep the truth down”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#134 Jul 15, 2009
The council hears about the mussels.

http://www.pittsfieldtv.net/Cablecast/Public/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westborough Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Negro OfAmerica Is THE TRUE DECENDANTS of H... (Apr '12) Jan 18 BaruchYAH 13
News Ellen DeGeneres Baffled That Caitlyn Jenner Onc... Jan 13 TerryE 5
News Shrewsbury residents express fears about Hooter... (Aug '15) Jan '16 Cliff Huxtable 21
News Outgoing Pittsfield city councilor's 12-year ru... Jan '16 DCF CPS DSS are M... 12
News Year 2 of JetBlue at Worcester airport comes wi... Nov '15 working man 1
News DCF managers promoted in high-profile cases Sep '15 Bowling Buddy 12
News Baker, energy exec tangle over hydro power Sep '15 Solarman 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westborough Mortgages