Marlborough Speak out page

Posted in the Westborough Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Bob

Milford, NH

#1 Jul 2, 2006
For the second time in a month the Marlborough speak out page has been shut down. It seems that just when people are beginning to discuss serious issues they shut the page down. I would like to start a blog page where people can freely talk.
JMV

Quincy, MA

#2 Jul 3, 2006
It would seem that imigtation is not a topic that we can speak about on Speak out! however, I am a bit stunned to see how some feel about gay marriage on this site. Kinda breaks my heart.
JMV

Quincy, MA

#3 Jul 3, 2006
BTW.... I am Marlboro not Braintree just can't figure out how to change it!
judy

AOL

#4 Jul 3, 2006
I think they shut down the speakout because they were talking about a rally up at 7/11. They were talking real stupid about taking back there city. Americans were going up with flags and picketing. They deserve to be shut down before someone gets hurt.
JMV Marlboro

Quincy, MA

#5 Jul 3, 2006
I do agree with you on that thread Judy... however the immigration issue is strongly tied into the rally subject. How did you get it to say AOL under your name?
judy

AOL

#6 Jul 3, 2006
Have no idea jmv?? It just came with me.
JMV

Quincy, MA

#7 Jul 4, 2006
Bob wrote:
For the second time in a month the Marlborough speak out page has been shut down. It seems that just when people are beginning to discuss serious issues they shut the page down. I would like to start a blog page where people can freely talk.
Bob - Did you see that this morning that Marlborough.com is back up, but Speakout is not available
bob

Milford, NH

#8 Jul 4, 2006
Bob - Did you see that this morning that Marlborough.com is back up, but Speakout is not availableYea I saw that. I'm sure the site will be back up tomorow when the Holiday is over. Then they will not have to about people protesting in the 7-11 lot. God forbid we should have FREE SPEECH HERE IN MARLBOROUGH!!!
AmyB

Marlborough, MA

#9 Jul 4, 2006
Duh. That sort of protest, which is loitering in its own right, could get the guy that runs SpeakOut in trouble. If anyone were to take legal action against the protest, they could sue Webmaster as well for being 'complicit' in the act. He runs that page for free (aside from what little advertising he gets), as far as I know, and he deserves a hell of a lot more than your criticism.
Lisa

Chelmsford, MA

#10 Jul 4, 2006
Well, I guess I was probably right about the Speak-out page being shut down. Looks like free speech really is dead in this country. And, God forbid, someone should state the obvious and say something about a specific ethnic group, even when they are causing most of the problems stated. Thankfully, we do not need a web page to organize some solutions to the problem.
I am more amazed that many people seem to think a gathering to protest city problems directly effecting city residents and efforts to correct them would be construed as loitering
and subject to any legal action. Most of you haven't realized yet we are headed towards the same restrictions the Russians suffered during the cold war. In fact, I would be willing to bet they enjoy more freedoms now than we do.
Dan

Redmond, WA

#11 Jul 4, 2006
Lisa wrote:
Well, I guess I was probably right about the Speak-out page being shut down. Looks like free speech really is dead in this country. And, God forbid, someone should state the obvious and say something about a specific ethnic group, even when they are causing most of the problems stated. Thankfully, we do not need a web page to organize some solutions to the problem.
I am more amazed that many people seem to think a gathering to protest city problems directly effecting city residents and efforts to correct them would be construed as loitering
and subject to any legal action. Most of you haven't realized yet we are headed towards the same restrictions the Russians suffered during the cold war. In fact, I would be willing to bet they enjoy more freedoms now than we do.
I missed the 7/11 'BIT', was someone trying to organize a protest on SpeakOut?
bob

Milford, NH

#12 Jul 5, 2006
People were trying to organized a protest at the 7-11 parking lot. It appears that some people were getting nervous about the legal people being upset about how our city is being overun with ILLEGALS. They should take notice that the silent majority is getting ready not to take it anymore.
bob

Milford, NH

#13 Jul 5, 2006
AmyB wrote:
Duh. That sort of protest, which is loitering in its own right, could get the guy that runs SpeakOut in trouble. If anyone were to take legal action against the protest, they could sue Webmaster as well for being 'complicit' in the act. He runs that page for free (aside from what little advertising he gets), as far as I know, and he deserves a hell of a lot more than your criticism.
Amy I am not putting any blame on anyone. He has done a great job running speak out and now it's time to move on. It's apparent someone does not want people to voice their opinions here in Marlborough. One second we are talking about new school superintendants and what happens next the site goes down. The site comes back up and we start talking about Illegals and protest and what happens, the site is shut down again. Well that kind of tells me that speak out really does not like FREE SPEECH!. So no matter what happens to Speak out I will never log onto it again. That is my choice and I freely make that decision.
Lisa

Lexington, MA

#14 Jul 5, 2006
I had originally suggested that homeowners affected by the overcrowding and parking problems in central Marlborough organize as a group and actually do something to combat these problems. Then another poster to Speak-out suggested we all meet at a local 7-11 store, which has problems with loitering by many immigrants to this country from S. America. It was worded, I believe, as a rally to take back our city. Commendable thoughts but many people probably took it the wrong way and didn't like the fact that the Brazilian community were specifically named as the source of many problems. You know how people today don't have much of a spine when it comes to criticizing a problem source.:) Some also wrongly stated that the issues of blight and overcrowding were tied to the immigration problem we have. This was not an opportunity to knock Brazilians but truths have to be faced....they are the source of most of the complaints in the affected neighborhoods.

It was most likely these posts that put an end to Speak-out, for however long the webmaster decides. It really doesn't matter as action can be taken with or without the website. I know I am done with a website that, if true, would squash free speech and a citizen's right to organize a gathering in order to clean up their city. The U.S. is too PC....it will be our undoing.
AmyB

Marlborough, MA

#15 Jul 8, 2006
Okay... let me see if I can explain this one more time. Your right to free speech ends when it infringes on someone else's right. Holding a public assembly on private property is an infringement on the rights of whoever owns that property, and their ability to conduct business. It's just the LAW. If you don't like it, go about getting the law changed, but don't go around calling people spineless because they choose to point out the LAW. I'm a homeowner on French Hill, and I -completely- sympathize with the problems - they're a main reason it's been almost a year and I still haven't been able to sell my house. My only point was that there's no reason to bring race into this. It's enough to condemn the behavior. With anti-Brazilian sentiment running at an all-time high, why run the risk of turning it into a racially-based riot?
Damon

Chelmsford, MA

#16 Jul 9, 2006
It has nothing to do with 7/11 folks.

I know what it was, but don't have permission to say. It is NOT 7/11. In fact, corporate management is thoroughly dismayed at what they have seen at 7/11.

-D
itsmehere

Marlborough, MA

#17 Jul 9, 2006
Damon wrote:
It has nothing to do with 7/11 folks.
I know what it was, but don't have permission to say. It is NOT 7/11. In fact, corporate management is thoroughly dismayed at what they have seen at 7/11.
-D
My guess would be that it's politically motivated. One of our polititions didn't like it.
Lisa

Lexington, MA

#18 Jul 10, 2006
OK....let me see if I can explain this one more time for you, Amy, as you seem to be having a problem with what I'm saying. My right to free speech does not end when I am standing on a sidewalk or public roadside, whether it borders a 7/11 parking lot or not. Was this not a concept that had entered your mind? This was designed to be a gathering for people to meet and maybe, just maybe, come up with some good idea's to solve this city's many problems. You see, most of us plan on staying here so improving things would be in our best interest. We are not selling our homes, at least not yet, like you are.

Loitering by others is one of the problems, along with overcrowding, parking issues, harboring of illegals (which is the main reason for all the overcrowding) and a host of many others. I'm sorry if you are having a problem with reality but the Brazilian community is a HUGE part of the problem. That is not a rascist statement, it's fact. You need to learn what rascism really means.

So come off your high horse and stop blasting those that are trying to make a difference. Maybe if the city did something to solve these issues and the Brazilians came here and stopped running neighborhoods down, they would be more welcome. No one had riot on their mind (at least I didn't) so don't get one started yourself with remarks like that.
Damon

Chelmsford, MA

#19 Jul 23, 2006
AmyB wrote:
Protesting is allowed. Various methods of organization are allowed, whether it be by phone, posting a note in a public location, posting information on a website, the newspaper etc.

Recall that the people have the freedom to assemble in a peacable manner irrespective of permits that the government may try to reign groups in with.

Further recall that courts time and time again have stated that everyone is responsible for their own postings and actions. The webmaster for marlborough.com is absolutely not responsible for the postings of people on his site.

-D
Mary

Perry Point, MD

#20 Jul 24, 2006
Gee, what are the chances that a public 'meeting' at the parking lot would've NOT errupted into chaos??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westborough Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Republican Sossa-Paquette to challenge McGovern... Thu family guy reference 2
Dan Kirouac and Mike Christian acoustic concert... Sep 13 New England Music... 1
Dan Kirouac and Steve Kirouac live Sep 13 New England Music... 1
The Negro OfAmerica Is THE TRUE DECENDANTS of H... (Apr '12) Aug 31 Tyrone 24
News Ted Nugent Suggests He's Ready For Armed Revolt... (Jan '13) Aug '17 Viking Power 32
Bored Police? Jul '17 Yorebro 1
Sox / Tigers tickets tonight 7/18 Jul '17 Matildax0630 1

Westborough Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westborough Mortgages