Governments offer $20 million in RI n...

Governments offer $20 million in RI nightclub fire

There are 8 comments on the The Morning Call story from Aug 18, 2008, titled Governments offer $20 million in RI nightclub fire. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

The state of Rhode Island and the town of West Warwick have each agreed to pay $10 million to those left behind after a nightclub fire that killed 100 people.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

citizen

AOL

#1 Aug 18, 2008
I've seen the video, the full length version, of this fire. It's horrendous. They were screaming for their lives in there & some piled up to the top of the entrance...just terrible. I've been to Warwick many times, was just up there in May, very sad thing that happened.
billy barule

Slatington, PA

#2 Aug 18, 2008
all that being said, why is the gov't offering up money for a fire in a privately owned nightclub? if someone dies in fire at my house due to me lighting off fireworks, will the gov't swoon in and pay the families millions?
Ridiculous

Silverdale, PA

#3 Aug 18, 2008
I must agree with Billy. It was a horrible accident and I wish no one was hurt, however accepting money from anyone other than those directly involved in creating the accident (the nightclub owner, the band who set off the pyrotechnics) is selling the lives of those who died. Thats shameful.
Wow

Whitehall, PA

#4 Aug 18, 2008
Here, the state of Rhode Island can't budget its colleges or its sports teams, but can pay for the damage done in a privately owned nightclub. This doesn't seem right.
Mrs Sippy

Milford, CT

#5 Aug 18, 2008
Billy, if I'm not mistaken, the town of West Warwick was negligent in their fire inspection, which would hold them partly liable. I agree with you otherwise. I don't know why the state would step in and pick up the tab when the nightclub owners are responsible.
Frumious Bandersnatch

Macungie, PA

#6 Aug 18, 2008
Think about this for a moment. Where does the "government" get its money? From the people. So the taxpayers are really the ones who are footing the bill for this. No elected officials get a pay cut - we get our taxes raised.
hottie

Slatington, PA

#8 Aug 18, 2008
I hope Great White's pyrotechnics don't burn don't Pens Peak when their there performing...That's a lot of lumber!
dude

Florence, AL

#9 Aug 18, 2008
hottie wrote:
I hope Great White's pyrotechnics don't burn don't Pens Peak when their there performing...That's a lot of lumber!
moron...watch this video and i dare you to tell more sad pathetic jokes

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Warwick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Meticulous Paintless Dent Removal lester laracu... 1 hr guns 2
Gay Hispanic Snapchats here! (Jul '16) Sep 5 Jemfan 16
117 Columbia ave oak haven Sep 4 Lulu lives on 1
News Craig Price Denied Parole Again (Mar '09) Sep 2 locked 2
News Davol recalls Bard 3D Max MESH (Feb '09) Aug 26 Melou 11
Councilman John D'amico A Man Of His Word War... Jul '17 Gets job done 1
Party in the Park Jul '17 DPS 1

West Warwick Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance