RI Budget Proposal

Full story: WPRI Providence and Rhode Island

Gov. Don Carcieri proposed an emergency budget plan Wednesday that would slash state funding for cities and towns, raise taxes and delay paying a legal settlement over a deadly nightclub fire to close a massive ...
Comments
161 - 179 of 179 Comments Last updated Apr 3, 2009
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Resident

Pawtucket, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Judged:

"You want to know why your taxes go up, just look at all of the times a rescue goes out on call for non life threat calls, like a tummy ache, or a cold, or the person who thinks 911 is the free ride to the ER for some tylenol."
I've used them here in Pawt. they were the most unprofessional bunch of "Medically trained professionals ever assembled"

THATS WHY WE NEED TO PRIVATIZE
Nothing to Hide

Smithfield, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Judged:

Another firefighter wrote:
I am so tired of hearing all the people on here complain about how firefighters reap all the benefits and how they dont do anything to earn it. I bet half the people who say these things have not one clue about the job other than what they read in the paper or watch on tv. It is time you educate yourself and find out the truth of how your tax dollars are spent. Go to a fire station in your city or town, talk to some of the people there. You want to know why your taxes go up, just look at all of the times a rescue goes out on call for non life threat calls, like a tummy ache, or a cold, or the person who thinks 911 is the free ride to the ER for some tylenol. This is just one of the many things that cause your tax dollars to go to waste. I would like to see all the complainers go to someones house, maybe that person has some infectious disease or that person feels today is a good day to die and wants to take anybody that gets in his way with him. Are you ready to go, are you ready to go into a fire, are you gonna risk catching AIDS/HIV, TB, Hepatitis. Are you willing to put yourself before others no matter what. If not then stop your complaining. Someday, you may have to call 911 for a real emergency. Will the governor come to help you? I think not.
Wahhhh, Wahhhh, Wahhhhh.

I'm so sorry that the truth is too hard for little men in funny raincoats to bear. If we go to the station, will we get to watch tv and ring the bell on the fire truck? Oh Boy, I can't wait.

Your scare tactics don't work any longer. My father is very ill and needed hospitalization. A private ambulance came to get him and the service was outstanding. Their equipment was excellent and so was their expertise. The days left for you union guys to continue the fleecing of the taxpayer are numbered.
Privatization is coming.
That light you see is the headlight on the privatization train coming right at you.

You overbearing, selt-righteous, self-centered, self-serving little people can't deal with the fact that the jig is up.

Most of your time at the station is spent watching Oprah and re-runs of "Emergency" (OH, sorry the re-runs of Emergency are training films) or sending your "brother fire brats" to someone's home to fix something for free on taxpayer time. That's what Proud Union Firefighter brags about. Obviously one of you "finest".

Trust me, MR. Cellar Saver, you're not that important and you will be replaced if you don't cooperate.

Give Smokey a big kiss for us...
proud union firefighter

Bristol, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Judged:

Hi again "nothing to hide", or is it "target shooter"-I just can't keep up. Anyway, look at the make-up of city councils, mayors, and legislators here in RI. As I've told you before, the numbers are just not on your side. You keep warning about the privitazation train coming-when exactly is that happening? I'll bet you a years pay I'll never see it in my lifetime, and I'm 42 years old. I'll tell you what "really peeved", or whatever your screen name is today-you keep on wasting your time with your silly rants that reach 1/1000th of the voters, and I'll continue to donate my time and money to the mayors, council members, and legislators who really make all the decisions. For a guy like you who owns so many weapons, I would think you would have more sense than to take a butter knife to a gunfight.
Another FF

Pawtucket, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Judged:

To Proud Union Firefighter...SHUT UP.. you do more to hurt us than help us. We all know there are going to be changes, we are just not sure what they are going to be!! Your ridiculous rants are exactly why the public is turning against us. None of us got into this to get rich we all started with the same goal of helping people. If I have to give up a little money then so be it not going to kill me. Better to have all my brothers and sisters on the truck with me when we roll to a call than to have a few extra bucks in my pocket.
Politicians will do and say anything to get reelected. If cities become insolvent then what?

To Nothing to Hide...Most of us on the job try to put in an honest days/nights work, we respond to every call some days it is slow and some days it is busy, this we have no control over!
kim

Cranston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Another FF wrote:
To Proud Union Firefighter...SHUT UP.. you do more to hurt us than help us. We all know there are going to be changes, we are just not sure what they are going to be!! Your ridiculous rants are exactly why the public is turning against us. None of us got into this to get rich we all started with the same goal of helping people. If I have to give up a little money then so be it not going to kill me. Better to have all my brothers and sisters on the truck with me when we roll to a call than to have a few extra bucks in my pocket.
Politicians will do and say anything to get reelected. If cities become insolvent then what?
To Nothing to Hide...Most of us on the job try to put in an honest days/nights work, we respond to every call some days it is slow and some days it is busy, this we have no control over!
I have to tell you, your union and 'brothers' are not doing justice to the profession. You and others like you should come forward and speak out. You sound like a professional who enjoys his job and appreciates it. You and that other 'person' are like night and day. kudos to you
tim

Cranston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

proud union firefighter wrote:
Hi again "nothing to hide", or is it "target shooter"-I just can't keep up. Anyway, look at the make-up of city councils, mayors, and legislators here in RI. As I've told you before, the numbers are just not on your side. You keep warning about the privitazation train coming-when exactly is that happening? I'll bet you a years pay I'll never see it in my lifetime, and I'm 42 years old. I'll tell you what "really peeved", or whatever your screen name is today-you keep on wasting your time with your silly rants that reach 1/1000th of the voters, and I'll continue to donate my time and money to the mayors, council members, and legislators who really make all the decisions. For a guy like you who owns so many weapons, I would think you would have more sense than to take a butter knife to a gunfight.
rough night at the Blue Moon

Since: Feb 09

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Judged:

Another firefighter wrote:
I am so tired of hearing all the people on here complain about how firefighters reap all the benefits and how they dont do anything to earn it. I bet half the people who say these things have not one clue about the job other than what they read in the paper or watch on tv. It is time you educate yourself and find out the truth of how your tax dollars are spent. Go to a fire station in your city or town, talk to some of the people there. You want to know why your taxes go up, just look at all of the times a rescue goes out on call for non life threat calls, like a tummy ache, or a cold, or the person who thinks 911 is the free ride to the ER for some tylenol. This is just one of the many things that cause your tax dollars to go to waste. I would like to see all the complainers go to someones house, maybe that person has some infectious disease or that person feels today is a good day to die and wants to take anybody that gets in his way with him. Are you ready to go, are you ready to go into a fire, are you gonna risk catching AIDS/HIV, TB, Hepatitis. Are you willing to put yourself before others no matter what. If not then stop your complaining. Someday, you may have to call 911 for a real emergency. Will the governor come to help you? I think not.
I did not say they did not do nothing but when post like union boy did well you have a issue, i have allways said that fire fighters and police deserv the best. but you just dont advertise it like this guy dose. and the gov makes a issue out of binning humane lifes againest each other its like some kind of think with him. we are talking about the abouse on a contract nothing more.

i dont care if a first responder makes 100 grand a year i have no issue with that but to also pay all of the health and other perks sorry not at a high pay like that.

you guys and girls make good money it dose not hurt to kick in 5 percent for health care.

i dont care for taken money away from you guys though. but in the private section you have to pay health care.

waren fire depart saved a house and rescued a man in a wheel chair they are a volenteer out fit the responce time was 3 minutes. not to bad for a none union out fit the only pay they get is when they are at the fire and they have the health care taken care off for free. not a issue .

thats the way it is with most small towns. they do not have big union deparments or full time men and women.. well god bleess you but keep guys like that other guy from saying alot on line
Nothing to Hide

Athens, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Another FF wrote:
You sound like a "real" Firefighter who deserves respect.

We'll get through this with folks like you.

Thanks for being realistic...

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

TO BE HONEST WITH YOU I THINK YOU ARE A FREAKING FAKE JUST WAITNG TO CAUSE TROUBBLE ON BOARDS LIKE THEASE WE ALL NEED TO IGNORE THIS IDIOT IT SAYS HE IS FROM JERSY ANYWAY
Noboru Garcia

Riverside, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Common Sense wrote:
Not having enough rescue trucks to respond is mis-management. How many fire trucks are sitting in the station doing nothing while a rescue is being called in from another town?
Please, that is BS. If your city or town doesn't have enough rescues in service take the men off a truck! Other than a larger cities we don't have enough fire here to justify the fire trucks with 3-4 men on them sitting in a station.
The end is near! Wake up!
Wow four men on a truck, you live in Riverside RI
I don't think so. Take a man off a truck whats he going to do now ? Ride a bicycle to a rescue run?
Sir seriously, stop by any fire station in East Prov. and talk to the guys and gals their please, you are misinformed.
Noboru Garcia

Riverside, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

response times wrote:
The average taxpayer does not care about response times until the time they call 911 and their told "we are waiting for an out of town rescue to respond because all the cities rescues are busy".Then it's "what,you mean there's no rescue from the city coming"?Sorry sir or mam,but our manning was taken away.That's OK though you have 2 other kids who are still alive.
Don't forget the out of town rescue bill $$$.
Target Shooter

Smithfield, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Noboru Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever !!!!

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Noboru Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
some towns have 4 men to a truck grow up. and thats fore safty and they need it because the truck is designed for 4 persons one man stands by the rig at all times. to work the controls and such and to. I wish the average person could go on a run with fire fighters

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2009

Noboru Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow four men on a truck, you live in Riverside RI
I don't think so. Take a man off a truck whats he going to do now ? Ride a bicycle to a rescue run?
Sir seriously, stop by any fire station in East Prov. and talk to the guys and gals their please, you are misinformed.
he is confused rescue with the engine itself rescues only have two person.
Another FF

Pawtucket, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Noboru Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
In my city we bill for all transports the rescue does... although the reimbursement rate is not very good
Special needs Parent

Warwick, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2009

Taking away the medicare insurance that enables my child to continue to live at home with his family is wrong. what are we doing? going back to the OLD ages when the children that were different were locked away?what if it Where Your Child Governor? Would you HIDE him? My child thirves with the help of the services his workers provide. As he grows he is becoming a contibuting member of the community. Please keep the services intact!!!And the funding for them

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2009

Another FF wrote:
<quoted text>
In my city we bill for all transports the rescue does... although the reimbursement rate is not very good
first of all you can bill all you want to most residents will not pay for it because it is supposed to be a serivice for when you pay your taxed to the fire department.

so good luck with it. its like double paying for services that you may or may not use in fact most of the court cases are lost this is why the town dose not bring them to court.

i am on medicare and they tried to bill me on top of medicare. they tried for 8 months untill i got a state lawyer and then the letters stopped coming to the house. wow
Carbone

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2009

The crisis in this state has been coming for a long time.
RI is no friend to business, no matter how you look at it.
There is a reason people from all over New England move here - because of the ease with which they can get disability and welfare.
Donna

Johnston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2009

Impeach the governor now!!! Throw the bum out!!!
I agree!!!!!!! 100%

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent West Warwick Discussions

Search the West Warwick Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Two loud bangs this morning? Sun bEstbUy 2
Troopers arrested Susan Ahlborg, age 40, of 50 ... (Nov '10) Jul 25 mswilson 74
DEM: Stolen bows may have been sold online Jul 12 Yankee 1
Over 2,500 without power in three RI communities Jul 8 bert 1
Gay snapchat (Oct '13) Jul 5 hornygayboi12 29
Single and Bar Scene not for You? Try the Book ... Jul 4 Petal Power 1
anyone wanna skype? (Mar '13) Jul 3 Shay 9
•••
•••