RI Budget Proposal

Full story: WPRI Providence and Rhode Island

Gov. Don Carcieri proposed an emergency budget plan Wednesday that would slash state funding for cities and towns, raise taxes and delay paying a legal settlement over a deadly nightclub fire to close a massive ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 179 Comments Last updated Apr 3, 2009
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Concerned Citizen

Bristol, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

Judged:

Why is it always the state worker who has to pay for foolish government spending?
proud union firefighter

Bristol, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

Judged:

Impeach the governor now!!! Throw the bum out!!!
president bush

Central Falls, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

Judged:

NO MORE BIG FAT CITY PENSIONS HAHAHA DIE WITH THE REST OF US PIPE DREAMERS HAHAHA WELCOME TO THE POOR SIDE OF TOWN FOOL
Taxed out

Smithfield, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Way to go Gov.

Cut -- Cut --- Cut.
Make the state employees get a touch of reality and join the rest of us private sector WORKERS !!!

Attention teachers ! You've had it cushy for too long. The day of reckoning has arrived. You work part time and are paid well. The school performance is poor and I hold you responsible. You should get merit increases when your product (our kid's performance) improves. Until then, you're lucky to have a job.

I'll keep my freedom, my hard earned money and my guns. You keep the change..........
Taxed out

Smithfield, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Hey, proud union firefighter.

Get a real job, pay your fair share and you might get a realistic view of life. You guys are worse than the teachers. I must say, that you do a fine job of shining up old engine no. 9 and drinking coffee. Love your cute hat, boots and turnout coat too.
Get real

Pawtucket, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

proud union firefighter wrote:
Its not the Gov. its years and years of mismanagement by many administrations. Foolish contracts that we have been struggling to pay for year after year. The State needs to go insolvent, and along with the cities and towns they need to renegotiate every contract to something that the taxpayer can afford.
Not going to be popular with the unions, but probably better than having no job.
Disgusted Taxpayer

Pawtucket, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Combine the fire departments across the state we could get save quite a bit of wasted money that way. Hell when there is a real fire all surrounding communities respond any way so lets get rid of the redundant positions.
Fred Ralista

Providence, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Close the "projects" to build more CCRI campuses as the did in Newport.

...teach a man to fish...
Joseph Hall

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

I moved out of Rhode Island last year. I saw no sense in staying with that "sinking ship." Good luck to you all!!!
HE DOESNT GET IT

Cranston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

What the governor doesn't understand is that the cities and towns are part of RI and to cut funds to them is to hurt RI.
In the past 7 years, has the governor done one thing to attract new business. Why isn't every state near 9.3% unemployment?
The governor doesn't get it.
Tammy

Orleans, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Raising the cigarette tax $1 is sure to make smokers quit which in turn means they will by no cigarettes and therefore will pay no tax.... how about raising alcohol tax or would that dip too deep in the politicians pockets..
Real World Taxpayer

Providence, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Concerned Citizen wrote:
Why is it always the state worker who has to pay for foolish government spending?
Ha the irony...the state "worker" IS the foolish government spending!
moving out of state SOON

Cranston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

My friend was told that if his business is breaking even in RI, he would be rich in Tennessee. So he moved his business there and is now a very wealthy man.
The problem is not the economy. The problem is how RI does business in the legislature.
A HARD WORKER

Pawtucket, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

THE FREE RIDE IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU GOVERNOR
The Point

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Considering our economic predicament and the options available, the Governor has very few choices, and is "right on." We don't need more taxes...of any kind!!
Angry Private Slave

Woonsocket, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

We are in tough tough times.The government sector has had it too good for too long, we keep paying the bill, they keep spending, it is time for them to tighten their belts like all the rest of us. I know that I have been faced with very difficult decisions lately in order to remain competitive. Think out of the box and Tighten the Belts
tax payer warwick RI

East Freetown, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

He should lead by example and cut his pay check and pension first
docare

Pawtucket, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

I agree, well he tried. Obviously one of his downfalls is city finances and also I think the public does not like him very much. Ya Think?
It is all wrong. What was he thinking?? We need the government workers for crying out loud, that is the most important jobs/ cut the secretary's and cut the salaries no not cut employee's .. at least the unemployment rate won't go up.
Starts at the top

Cranston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

What kind of cuts has Carcieri made to his office? Has "The Don" taken a cut in pay and health care?
RI Taxpayer

Providence, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

Judged:

Plan sounds good to me and if it works all the better. State employees & municipal employees reap the benefits of government perks that's why they feel the cutbacks first. It starts at the top. If you don't like it find work in the private sector like the rest of us.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent West Warwick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: I Love Kickboxing Cranston 8 hr Claudia 13
Anyone Wanna Skype dirty? Aug 18 UpForAnything22 1
anyone wanna skype? (Mar '13) Aug 18 UpForAnything22 10
Do you approve of Deborah Fellela as State Repr... Aug 18 venus317317 1
Daniel Morrow Aug 17 Chrissy 4
Review: New England Inflatables Aug 15 Boater 1
West Warwick Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug 11 Musikologist 11

Search the West Warwick Forum:
•••
•••