Comments
1 - 3 of 3 Comments Last updated Jan 16, 2013
Marc Sullivan

Santa Barbara, CA

#1 Oct 11, 2010
Hello!

I was searching the internet about information on the South Newfane General store... Is it still open? One post said it was closed.. Is it empty? Just curious.. a few years back my wife and I almost purchased it but found the septic was too small for what we wanted to do. But we love thwat place! Let me know.. Marc
vermonter

West Rutland, VT

#3 Mar 12, 2012
the south newfane general store has gone through no less than 11 owners over the past thirty plus years. no one seems to last more than a few years, the latest being someone from california. it has been closed for a while now and is for sale. the bridge in front is about to undergo reconstruction. the septic problem still remains. the pipe that runs along the bridge to the adjoining property shared septic system has to be removed and reattached at the current owners expense. no doubt you wanted to make a nice little restaurant of it but that doesn't seem possible under current conditions. also, no more post office and no more gas at this location. the williamsville general store is also closed after having been purchased by yet another unknowing out of towner with a crapload of money. running a general store and trying to make a living out of cups of coffee and newspapers is not doable. would take a crapload of money to keep the place heated and the refridgeration running. everyone has gotten used to picking up their needs in brattleboro or doing without. you can't make a living out of people who are looking for a place to chat and chew unless you are going to charge starbuck prices for a cup of coffee and five dollars for a loaf of bread. also, both general stores which were school bus stops had big problems with the kids hanging around and stealing, twice a day. gas and cigarettes were probaly the biggest sellers once upon a time. and those times have changed.
Marc Sullivan

Santa Barbara, CA

#4 Jan 16, 2013
I was searching to see if there was any other news about the store and see you responded not too long ago... Thanks.. I appreciate your response... Yes I wanted to turn it into a restaurant/general store... I had plans to expand the store out towards the road and put in a walk behind walk in refrigerator. I am glad it did not work out, my wife became very ill and thank god for the insurance I get through my work here in California..... I may have to fly out and take a look at it sometime... thanks so much for responding! Marc

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Wardsboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hire Skip Bins Bunbury (Nov '11) Aug 26 Claire Reynolds 3
Review: Bittersweet Memories Bakery Cafe Aug 11 Wardsborocabin 2
Dummerston skeptical of solar deal (Feb '14) Aug 11 Bob Story 4
Clark seeks third term as sheriff Jul '14 vern 39
Survey Crews wandering around Jul '14 Londonderry vt la... 2
Thousand come to Brattleboro for a Stroll Jun '14 Bratt 5
Review: Shader Lance C PC Atty May '14 New law 1
•••

West Wardsboro News Video

•••