Historic Mansion Gutted By Fire

Historic Mansion Gutted By Fire

There are 13 comments on the WKYT-TV Lexington story from Jun 19, 2008, titled Historic Mansion Gutted By Fire. In it, WKYT-TV Lexington reports that:

A piece of history in eastern Kentucky goes up in flames. The Enchanted Mountain Mansion near Paintsville caught fire late Thursday afternoon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKYT-TV Lexington.

angelmae

Virgie, KY

#1 Jul 6, 2008
My granny used to say, "I think maybe the insurance got too hot."
Homemaker

Pikeville, KY

#2 Jul 8, 2008
lol... lot of people are saying the same thing.
mia

Paintsville, KY

#3 Dec 23, 2008
who owned this mansion?
Anonymous

Pflugerville, TX

#4 Mar 10, 2011
My father and mother built this mansion in the late 70s.
Wow

Paintsville, KY

#5 Mar 10, 2011
They did a great job it was a beautiful home. I almost purchased it. The craftsmanship is something you will never see again. I bet your parents are nice people. Best regards
Sycophant

Logan, WV

#6 Mar 10, 2011
Rumor has it that some young guy and his much older sugar mama are restoring this house with plans to reside there.
Historian

Logan, WV

#7 Mar 10, 2011
saltybeaver wrote:
My father and mother built this mansion in the late 70s.
Higginbotham?
Anonymous

United States

#8 Aug 20, 2011
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>Higginbotham?
Yes

“"General Cb Stubblefield"”

Since: Oct 10

"The Beast from the East"

#9 Aug 21, 2011
The Higginbothams built it, it truly was never finished on the inside by far. The Higginbothams sold it to BW Mcdonald and he never finished the inside either, BW died leaving his widow in possession. I think she sold to someone else, they had dreams for it to be high dollar bed$breakfast. I think the insurance claim won out cause the inside was not finished. What was finished on the inside was vandalized by local kids. It would have cost a lot to have the inside finished right, so they pulled a "PaulFannin" on the old mansion.
lyn

Cynthiana, KY

#10 Aug 21, 2011
was that this past week that it burn't?? i had a nieghbor tell me a place in auxier area just burn't last week. on a hill?
indeed

Stollings, WV

#11 Aug 21, 2011
which hose and where ?
lyn

Cynthiana, KY

#12 Aug 21, 2011
he went to the stop sign at the end of hopson st and turned right. he said off to the left he could see it up on the hill. thats all i know.

“"Handle your business."”

Since: Jun 11

Strife torn Appalachia, USA

#13 Aug 22, 2011
Inez Baldridge owned and operated it as a bed and breakfast for a couple of years - Enchanted Mountain Mansion. Then, she sold it to Jim Green, who owns that rubber company down the hill across from it. They had a legal dispute over a chandelier that burned up with the house. Mr. Green was out of town on vacation when it burned.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Van Lear Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 min yabadabado 148,869
Last post wins (Nov '10) 57 min Princess Hey 24,240
Eric Conn Is Out Of Jail And Out Of Business 1 hr Curious 14
Add a word, drop a word (Nov '10) 1 hr Icnoptnthis 11,761
Let the drug dealers run the county 4 hr sickening 15
Ex sheriff Tackett 4 hr Haha 3
Bessie Lynn Brown anyone know her 5 hr surprized 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Van Lear Mortgages