step children? do u treat them the sa...

step children? do u treat them the same as u would ur children?

Posted in the West Union Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 11

Woodhaven, NY

#1 Jul 30, 2011
here's my question . if u involved with someone who already has children from a previous relationship . Should u and ur family treat them any different cuz their not blood related ??
west union

Pennsboro, WV

#2 Jul 30, 2011
if you take him or her to me involved with and they have kids you shoud show them the same as the other children,
Corky

Clarksburg, WV

#3 Jul 31, 2011
They should be treated like they are your kids. I know a lot of step parents don't do this, but they should.
Southrngrl75

United States

#4 Jul 31, 2011
thanks guys . That's wat I thought !
Corky

Clarksburg, WV

#5 Jul 31, 2011
You're welcome.
Parent

Richmond, VA

#6 Aug 1, 2011
I am a step parent and I treat my step daughter like she is my own. I treat her just like the two children that I had myself. It is not her fault that her parents divorced. To me my step daughter is mine too.
Southrngrl75

United States

#7 Aug 1, 2011
I'm like that with my step children ...but I concerned about how some ppl can treat them different cuz their not blood .. I have been in that situation before it wasn't the guy I was with it was his family . And my kids knew they were treated badly and therefore started behaving badly towards them!I don't think those kinda ppl realize how it affects the kids .
Corky

Clarksburg, WV

#8 Aug 1, 2011
I was a step child and my step dad treated us like crap, but his parents treated us like we were their grandchildren. It was really strange.
Southrngrl75

United States

#9 Aug 2, 2011
yeah sometimes it works out like that but in my kids case the guy treated my kids great but his family treated us all like out cast and it really hurt my children feeling and mine as well...i don't understand that cuz my family is very close and treat everyone the same whether blood or not ! Its really weird how ppl respond differently to step children.
Corky

Meadowbrook, WV

#10 Aug 2, 2011
Southrngrl75 wrote:
yeah sometimes it works out like that but in my kids case the guy treated my kids great but his family treated us all like out cast and it really hurt my children feeling and mine as well...i don't understand that cuz my family is very close and treat everyone the same whether blood or not ! Its really weird how ppl respond differently to step children.
I agree with you. At least your boyfriend/husband treated your kids well. His family should have been ashamed of themselves for hurting little kids feelings.
Truthteller

Harrisville, WV

#11 Aug 2, 2011
I can't even believe this question! Of course you should try to treat the stepkids the same! They are kids and when two parents can't make it work amd divorce, they are the ones who suffer. It is not their fault! It's hard enough to go through a divorce.. but then to watch a parent move on to someone that does not treat them very well, that's just plain depressing and sad! Remember.. "DO UNTO OTHERS!" They will be adults one day and you should be an example to them...
Well you brought it up

Central District, Hong Kong

#12 Aug 31, 2011
One wonders why the topic was even raised. Looking deeply into some of the homes in the area would likely cause a lot of sleepless nights.
wildchild

Morgantown, WV

#13 Nov 11, 2011
My kids step-Grandmother or Step-Father or any the family don't treat my kids like there own.It was all good at first and then it starting coming to the surface how they really felt. But that is alright they are missing out in the long run. I'm the type of person who loves all kids.
the news

Fairmont, WV

#14 Nov 12, 2011
I have 20 grandchildren.My own and my wife's.We don't have any different feelings about,Who's Who. We don't care they all our babies.
danielle

Hamilton, Canada

#15 Feb 3, 2012
I think its little more than black and white. Im a step mother and have 2 children of my own. The step children come visit every two weeks as they live with their mother. I love them and care for them, etc but I don't treat them like my children...just as they don't treat me like I'm their mom. They have a mom and don't need another one. I prefer to have a different relationship with them. Almost like an aunt. I grew up with a stepmother that pushed herself on me and forced me to call her mom. It was awful. I don't like that stepparents are forced to play mom/dad role...why can't it be a different special relationship. Kids aren't stupid - who are we trying to fool?? I think its healthier to have honest relations rather than fake ones...or try to play a mommy or daddy role when they clearly don't need it (assuming they have those parents in their lives)
wildchildren3

Clarksburg, WV

#16 May 21, 2012
i have 3 children and neither my own family treatrs them like blood there father's family treats them like crap and there step fathers family treats them like crap so that sums it up in a bottle and they are good kids. mother in laws don't like me cause i don't take crap from them.
wildchildren3

Clarksburg, WV

#17 Aug 6, 2012
You know here it is God will tend to people who mistreat his children. We don't need there kind.
Huge mistake

Annandale, MN

#18 Aug 12, 2012
Sorry, other people's kids are horrible little animals, always remember, blood is thicker than water all around the table. In a second relationship, you have already learned what was wronge with the first, and you have subconsiciously desided what you will never tolorate again. Fact, when a step child is constantly rude and you have no recourse for discipline, you will naturally just not like them. You are truly glad when they are gone. There is the beginning of the end of the second relationship, the other kid's. Has anyone ever wondered why there is a 80 percent failure rate in second relationship's, again, the other kids. Everyone knows there own kids are perfect, it the other kids, blood is thicker than water.....
ashamed of my soninlaw

Seward, NE

#19 Nov 11, 2012
My daughter remarried 8 years ago, she has two teen daughters from another marriage and two children with her present husband. The youngest has down syndrome. It really makes my husband mad the way her husband treats the girls. Example, we were at a wedding party and he saw one of his old friends. He pointed at his two and said those are my kids. Not one word about the girls. One of the girls told me it doesn't feel like a home living there. She's on pills. My husband married me 32 years ago when I had three small kids. He has ALWAYS claimed them as his own and treats our six kids all the same. He loves them very much and forgets that he's not the bio dad. They love him in return. Some step parents seem to not realize the kids have feelings. All the pictures they take, the girls are hardly ever in them, the girls stay in the basement all the time, otherwise they are being screamed at for stupid things. One of the other kids told us, "My dad doesn't like the other girls, they drive him nuts". I emailed about this to my daughter and she never responded. I'm trying to find a way to bring this up to them without starting a war.
TAT

Aberdeen, OH

#20 Nov 11, 2012
I know that blending familys is difficult but u should treat ur step children just u do u own after all wouldnt u want the same for ur own children

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Union Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 8 min ricky bobby 1,262
can anyone tell me anything at all about wesley... Thu angeleyes 1
Christina todd cant stay away from the child mo... (May '15) Apr 24 Michelle 9
Gosskp Apr 23 Curias about Cokeley 1
Dominos Pizza (Sep '15) Apr 23 PeopleAreDumb 6
the music thread (Mar '12) Apr 22 Musikologist 28
Emergency Squad Apr 21 bean counter 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Union Mortgages