Next Last
noboby

United States

#1 Jan 2, 2013
what do peaple think about prom being held in eastgate
Worried parent

West Union, OH

#2 Jan 3, 2013
Why would u wanna drag these teenagers off to Cinci for a prom ? they can enjoy them selfs just as much here at home ,& the parents have less worries, does sending your kid off to Cinci to some high dollar rental ball room mean more to you than bringing your kid home safe ? I know they can have an accident just as easy here in town but do your math I believe there has been more deaths on 32 to Eastgate than in a 20 mile radius of home.
concerned

New Vienna, OH

#3 Jan 3, 2013
I am not liking this idea either. Some of the kids I know is going just got their license so here we are sending them out of town at night with their dates and others in a car. I don't think this was a good idea.
Worried parent

West Union, OH

#4 Jan 3, 2013
i THINK WE ALL SHOULD FLOOD THE SCHOOL BOARD WITH PHONE CALLS & COMPLAIN AND VOICE OUR OPIONS BEFORE THEY HAVE A CHANCE TO EVEN VOTE IN HAVING IT FAR AWAY. THAT'S JUST PLAIN SILLY TO ENCOURAGE THESE YOUNG NEW DRIVERS TO HEAD DOWN TO CINCI ON PROM NIGHT AT THAT ,,, FOR EVER MORE.
Parent

United States

#5 Jan 3, 2013
West Union is not the only school in our county that is holding prom out of the county...the other schools have done this for several years, some at East Gate and some in Maysville. When I was in school our proms were held at Shawnee, East Gate and even B&B Riverboats in Cincy. We all made it there and back safely. The prom budget is very low, have you considered that the cost is very high to have the prom at the high school...decorations, dinnerware, food, drinks, entertainment, keepsakes plus the huge amount of volunteered time that goes into getting the school ready and hours spent after it's over cleaning the gym. There are many other details to consider when putting the prom on at home, compared to renting a facility that has everything already at hand to host a formal event. The proms purpose is to provide a nice, memorable formal evening for our children. The cost of a formal hall which provides most of the necessities compared to the cost of purchasing everything needed for a prom at home explains why the prom will be elsewhere this year.
VOTE NO ON TAX LEVY

West Union, OH

#6 Jan 3, 2013
Parent wrote:
West Union is not the only school in our county that is holding prom out of the county...the other schools have done this for several years, some at East Gate and some in Maysville. When I was in school our proms were held at Shawnee, East Gate and even B&B Riverboats in Cincy. We all made it there and back safely. The prom budget is very low, have you considered that the cost is very high to have the prom at the high school...decorations, dinnerware, food, drinks, entertainment, keepsakes plus the huge amount of volunteered time that goes into getting the school ready and hours spent after it's over cleaning the gym. There are many other details to consider when putting the prom on at home, compared to renting a facility that has everything already at hand to host a formal event. The proms purpose is to provide a nice, memorable formal evening for our children. The cost of a formal hall which provides most of the necessities compared to the cost of purchasing everything needed for a prom at home explains why the prom will be elsewhere this year.
This is stupid!
Remember this when they want another tax levy.
They should keep the money within the county or quit begging for a tax levy.
Where did they earn the money for the prom? East gate?
Are any tax dollars paying for death this ride?
VOTE NO ON TAX LEVY COMING SOON!
concerned

New Vienna, OH

#7 Jan 3, 2013
I think if letters were sent out to parents letting them know the situation you could possibly get volunteers to help and even items donated to help out with expenses. I know I would verses sending my child on the road to Eastgate. Sometimes communication is the problem when it comes to things like this. Most of the time if parents would be informed you would have more support. Who makes these decisions anyway the prom committe which is made up of kids or school board? Either way shouldn't parents be the ones to decide what is best for their own kids.
Parent

United States

#9 Jan 3, 2013
One last thing....the prom budget consists of money gained by fundraisers not tax money allotted through the school and have you all even considered the fact that most of these kids drive or take limos to Cincinnati to eat before retuning to the school for grand march and prom? So even when the prom is held at the high school the kids are still traveling on 32. I have two children going this year and I am ok with it because as I said, they would be going to Cincy to eat beforehand anyway. The decision for the switch was made by adults not the prom committee students.
VOTE NO ON TAX LEVY

West Union, OH

#10 Jan 3, 2013
Parent wrote:
One last thing....the prom budget consists of money gained by fundraisers not tax money allotted through the school and have you all even considered the fact that most of these kids drive or take limos to Cincinnati to eat before retuning to the school for grand march and prom? So even when the prom is held at the high school the kids are still traveling on 32. I have two children going this year and I am ok with it because as I said, they would be going to Cincy to eat beforehand anyway. The decision for the switch was made by adults not the prom committee students.
Again - Did they earn the money from East gate area or did the local people help from Adams County? Spend it here.
It sounds as if it is a liability idea question.
I know of some schools that have 2 armed guards, one inside and one out, the night of the prom. You have 10 minutes to get in and out or you are locked out of the prom area when you change your clothes. You write on the envelope what time you expect to leave and you are handed the envelope with your keys in it at that time.
There are no outside chains smoking dope, drinking or having sex on the premises. Flood lights are on the parking lots. Adults take it serious and don't turn kids loose in some areas.
Still voting NO on any school tax levy.
NO!
worried parent

West Union, OH

#11 Jan 3, 2013
To PARENT,,, so in other words your putting a price on your kids safety ? I guess every kid dont have to go outta town to eat why cant the kids just eat around here & besides what's the meal for at the prom then ?? Well if then as you say all the kids go outta town to eat anyway then lets cut the cost of prom by cutting out the meal, and only serving finger foods & drinks. then we could afford to have it at our home school then. And if your so up on these kids having it in Cinci then get your gas guzzler shined up and drive a few of these kids down there then that the parents dont want driving to East gate. I guess only SOME of us worry about our kids safety huh ?
Mark green

Brighton, MI

#12 Jan 3, 2013
Its just for the rich kids anyway,just like the county fair
Parent

United States

#13 Jan 3, 2013
VOTE NO ON TAX LEVY wrote:
<quoted text>
Again - Did they earn the money from East gate area or did the local people help from Adams County? Spend it here.
It sounds as if it is a liability idea question.
I know of some schools that have 2 armed guards, one inside and one out, the night of the prom. You have 10 minutes to get in and out or you are locked out of the prom area when you change your clothes. You write on the envelope what time you expect to leave and you are handed the envelope with your keys in it at that time.
There are no outside chains smoking dope, drinking or having sex on the premises. Flood lights are on the parking lots. Adults take it serious and don't turn kids loose in some areas.
Still voting NO on any school tax levy.
NO!
Maybe you missed the part where it was stated that there wasn't enough to pay for everything needed to keep it here, so tomorrow why don't you run to all of our county high schools and make sizable donations to the prom advisors since you want it here. Also, while you're there, why don't you sign up to volunteer your services in making decorations, spending two very long days before the prom putting up those decorations, then you can chaperone and stay until 3am to clean up after its over...all for free of course. How many kids do you have going this year?? BTW...the tax levy thread is under a different title, this is about the prom.
Grooms

Brighton, MI

#14 Jan 3, 2013
It is just for the few who can afford it,how many kids can't participate? These "professionals" should be ASHAMED!!
BSBSBSs

West Union, OH

#15 Jan 3, 2013
Parent wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you missed the part where it was stated that there wasn't enough to pay for everything needed to keep it here, so tomorrow why don't you run to all of our county high schools and make sizable donations to the prom advisors since you want it here. Also, while you're there, why don't you sign up to volunteer your services in making decorations, spending two very long days before the prom putting up those decorations, then you can chaperone and stay until 3am to clean up after its over...all for free of course. How many kids do you have going this year?? BTW...the tax levy thread is under a different title, this is about the prom.
I never miss my chance to say _
VOTE NO ON ALL TAX SCHOOL LEVIES!

This Prom thing has nothing to do with education. The real world awaits those that are prepared.

I don't need your permission to tell the world....
No New Taxes
No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes No New Taxes. Happy now?
Parent

United States

#16 Jan 3, 2013
worried parent wrote:
To PARENT,,, so in other words your putting a price on your kids safety ? I guess every kid dont have to go outta town to eat why cant the kids just eat around here & besides what's the meal for at the prom then ?? Well if then as you say all the kids go outta town to eat anyway then lets cut the cost of prom by cutting out the meal, and only serving finger foods & drinks. then we could afford to have it at our home school then. And if your so up on these kids having it in Cinci then get your gas guzzler shined up and drive a few of these kids down there then that the parents dont want driving to East gate. I guess only SOME of us worry about our kids safety huh ?
Is driving to the prom any different than letting them drive to the mall?? I would never put a price on my kids safety. I really have no idea why the kids don't eat around here, go ask them. Maybe it's because they want a nice meal! Just so you know...they don't serve a meal at the school on prom night , it is finger foods already. I can tell that you've been involved. My gas guzzler WILL haul my own kids and their friends to prom and my tax money can haul yours...that is if you can drag yourself off of the couch long enough to take your kids there. That's probably the big problem, a prom out of town requires a little parental effort to ensure that your kids get there safely not a quick drop off at the school. Check around, WU is not the only school that does this. Also, you could always go donate your time and money to keep the prom here...lol!!
noboby

United States

#17 Jan 3, 2013
what about the students who can only afford to get to the school? what about the kids at the childrens home? who cant go to a out of town prom unless a aid volunteeres to drive them and wait.and yes i volunteer at every sporting event my kids are in and my kid did the fund raiseres to pay for prom should they not get to go because we cant afford to get a driver to drive them. what kid whants there parent to drive them to prom.
Nobody

United States

#18 Jan 3, 2013
Maybe everyone should get a little more informed before they gripe. Tax levy dude, you look pretty uneducated right about now. Are you even old enough to be on this site? Your post looks like something that a child would do.
Grooms

Brighton, MI

#19 Jan 3, 2013
The school people don't care about poor people
Grooms

Brighton, MI

#20 Jan 3, 2013
Look how good dragon sports are since they started charging$$ to play
BSBSBSs

West Union, OH

#21 Jan 3, 2013
Nobody wrote:
Maybe everyone should get a little more informed before they gripe. Tax levy dude, you look pretty uneducated right about now. Are you even old enough to be on this site? Your post looks like something that a child would do.
I'm not your dude!
Taxing land owners for running or ruining a school is unconstitutional.
http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php...
You sound like an uneducated, meaningless teacher that doesn't want its pension cut or fired. You are no old to be up this late. Drink your toddy and hit the sack.
Voting NO on all school tax levies.
Fire 80% of central office and pink slip the double dippers.
Marysville cut 50 off the top right before Christmas. Get ready losers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Union Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr Pops 32,455
Brewer Road Aircare 4 hr Curious 1
trick or treat 9 hr BlackCat 2
Let's talk about Ebola! Mon Owow 6
kathy stunich/purdin (Sep '11) Sun IdK 5
Adams County Regional Medical Center ACRMC "Pos... (Jan '10) Sun jon 70
david purdin (Jan '12) Oct 19 Mike 16
West Union Dating
Find my Match

West Union Jobs