Cheshire says no

There are 26 comments on the North Adams Transcript story from Jul 1, 2008, titled Cheshire says no. In it, North Adams Transcript reports that:

For the second time in two months, the town voted down the idea of selling hundreds of acres of town land to offset a debt that has exceeded $1 million.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Adams Transcript.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Adams Citizen

Huntington, MA

#21 Jul 7, 2008
I tend to agree. There are a few civic minded town appointees in Adams who do care and who do try but they are in short supply. What I've found, offering my opinion to our towns elected body as I do, is that they have their own agendas that they are there to complete and have little regard for the "representative" facet of their jobs. Oh, they'll respond to the phone call to their house or town hall, but none actively seek out citizen concerns by holding true "public meetings". There has been a push among Adams board members to move, limit or alter the open public comment period during their televised meetings. Also, a suggestion that the town create a "suggestion box" for citizens too shy, or worse yet fearful of retribution, to appear on camera was shot down without any real consideration. Elected officials just don't understand their roles. Yes, the job is harder then it was....the job is thankless and doesn't pay, but they knew that going in. They just need to understand that they are not going to accomplish anything without the people; without the community and without a plan. It's time to either open up or walk away for the majority of them. There is such a thing as being in or around a position for too long.
Just Looking Here

Lincolnville, ME

#22 Jul 7, 2008
Check out all the controversies in surrounding small towns and in most cases one can plainly see that the official is making decisions solely based on self benefit. Look at school boards in small towns....80% are mothers or fathers who have kids in school and are just there to insure things are OK for their kid and once they graduate, the parents get off the board also...whats that tell you?

“it's good to be back ... ”

Since: Mar 08

the forest

#25 Jul 8, 2008
The entire town government has their heads up their a$$es - and by not participating in town meetings and elections (or at the very least being informed), the residents of Cheshire are ALLOWING their 'representatives' to run amok.
If you ever travel north on RT8, take a good look (to the left) at the numerous delapidated buildings between The Cheshire Liquor Store and the traffic light at RT8/West Mountain/Church Street.
Afterwards, stop by the town offices and compliment them on their town pride & building/ state sanitary code enforcement.
Now, i'll tell you that all the property from the old Cheshire Inn up toward the run down Victorian at the lights was recently put on the market for three quarters of a million dollars - then suddenly taken off.
Just for chuckles, ask them what that entire property is assessed at for tax purposes, and what the owner of those properties PAYS in taxes.
I'd be willing to bet that they aren't paying squat ... just one the perks of having a prominent 'family name' in town politics.
I wonder how the rest of the hardworking taxpayers/homeowners of Cheshire would feel about that?

Since: Jun 08

United States

#26 Jul 9, 2008
Me and my owner Mother moved out of Cheshire..One of the reason's the water rates went nuts..It is much cheaper for us to own a home in Pittsfield where the water rates are not so high..I did go to metered water here and only pay for what I use...Anyway's I think Cheshire should have paid a fair price for the land they took by E.D.
Jake

Springfield, MA

#27 Jul 9, 2008
i am SPARKLING wrote:
The entire town government has their heads up their a$$es - and by not participating in town meetings and elections (or at the very least being informed), the residents of Cheshire are ALLOWING their 'representatives' to run amok.
If you ever travel north on RT8, take a good look (to the left) at the numerous delapidated buildings between The Cheshire Liquor Store and the traffic light at RT8/West Mountain/Church Street.
Afterwards, stop by the town offices and compliment them on their town pride & building/ state sanitary code enforcement.
Now, i'll tell you that all the property from the old Cheshire Inn up toward the run down Victorian at the lights was recently put on the market for three quarters of a million dollars - then suddenly taken off.
Just for chuckles, ask them what that entire property is assessed at for tax purposes, and what the owner of those properties PAYS in taxes.
I'd be willing to bet that they aren't paying squat ... just one the perks of having a prominent 'family name' in town politics.
I wonder how the rest of the hardworking taxpayers/homeowners of Cheshire would feel about that?
I get a kick out of the 24/7 tag sale in front of the old inn selling all kinds of junk ! I've seen almost 3-4 accidents over a few day period. The place is a mess and a safety hazzard. The inn looks like it could tumble anyday now. The town needs to act soon or the whole situation could get worse.
bushwacker

United States

#33 Dec 1, 2009
who dug the well watermen const. maybe they could flood more land and call it wet-lands what a joke

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Stockbridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Valleyhead, a school for girls, closes (Mar '09) Jul 21 biguns 295
News County Fare: Special Olympics Mass. Hall of Fam... Jul 5 Cops are Degenerates 3
News Our Opinion: Keep pushing for NYC rail link Jun '17 Hugh Turds 3
Lenox Music Emporium (Oct '12) May '17 Musikologist 14
The El Dorado May '17 billwarnken 1
News xxxxxx May '17 Paul Kersey 3
News Videotape rape case to return (Feb '08) May '17 Ozzie King Of Zyl... 72

West Stockbridge Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Stockbridge Mortgages