Cheshire says no

There are 26 comments on the North Adams Transcript story from Jul 1, 2008, titled Cheshire says no. In it, North Adams Transcript reports that:

For the second time in two months, the town voted down the idea of selling hundreds of acres of town land to offset a debt that has exceeded $1 million.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Adams Transcript.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Reality

Adams, MA

#1 Jul 1, 2008
We are really a stupid bunch of people, aren't we???
Gary

Gloversville, NY

#2 Jul 1, 2008
Why are the residents of this town continually paying for the mistakes of our leadership? It seems like everytime i turn around we're paying extra for something. Can we get someone who can pay attention and have a clue as to what is going on?
vote

United States

#3 Jul 2, 2008
They are elected so you people have created your own problems. I'm glad the state ruled in favor of the individual against the towns claim of emminent domain, just another name for stealing from the people. The whole mess could have been avoided had the town offered a fair and just price instead of stealing it. DIG DEEP CHESHIRE IT'S GONNA HURT right on top of having to pay adams back for the "miscalculated" school cost
Jake

South Hadley, MA

#4 Jul 2, 2008
Waterman for Cheshire Mayor!

"The Selectmen have not spoken to the water department about this issue," he said on Monday. "They're 10 feet above us in Town Hall, they should have refered to us about it.... We're not getting anywhere in the long run by selling this land. It's going to come back and bite us in the azz."
to gary

Adams, MA

#5 Jul 2, 2008
the town had someone whose job was to pay attention to things like this and they voted to remove the position.
Jake

South Hadley, MA

#6 Jul 2, 2008
to gary wrote:
the town had someone whose job was to pay attention to things like this and they voted to remove the position.
He wasn't watching very well! Just like anywhere else if you can't or won't do the job your being paid for you are let go.
Gary

Gloversville, NY

#7 Jul 2, 2008
to gary wrote:
Wasn't he in that position when all this started? He was apparently part of the problem.

Since: Mar 08

Rensselaer, NY

#8 Jul 2, 2008
Jake wrote:
Waterman for Cheshire Mayor!
"The Selectmen have not spoken to the water department about this issue," he said on Monday. "They're 10 feet above us in Town Hall, they should have refered to us about it.... We're not getting anywhere in the long run by selling this land. It's going to come back and bite us in the azz."
We have Barrett. You can have him!
REALITY

Adams, MA

#9 Jul 2, 2008
Maybe we can drill under the fire station and sell the oil to pay off the debt??
Jake

South Hadley, MA

#10 Jul 3, 2008
REALITY wrote:
Maybe we can drill under the fire station and sell the oil to pay off the debt??
Great idea! After hitting oil we can short change
some soul on his land again and build a bigger fire station on it.
cheshirepressure

Albany, NY

#11 Jul 3, 2008
This doesn't surprise me...Cheshire Selectman are not only incompetent, they are corrupt and arrogant. We need change in town government...let's make sure our voices are heard come next election.
Senior

Shelburne Falls, MA

#12 Jul 3, 2008
cheshirepressure wrote:
This doesn't surprise me...Cheshire Selectman are not only incompetent, they are corrupt and arrogant. We need change in town government...let's make sure our voices are heard come next election.
They have the older voters locked up and that gets them in every time. The Sr.'s need to wake up and realize their SS checks are getting smaller
due to these blunders that keep happening.
resident

Wynantskill, NY

#13 Jul 3, 2008
Senior wrote:
<quoted text>
They have the older voters locked up and that gets them in every time. The Sr.'s need to wake up and realize their SS checks are getting smaller
due to these blunders that keep happening.
Same story in NA
Senior

Amherst, MA

#14 Jul 3, 2008
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Same story in NA
Term Limits might help?
Gary

Gloversville, NY

#15 Jul 3, 2008
Two things about term limits.

1) I haven't seen enough interest from residents to run for office. If a selectmans term is up and no one runs what then?

2) If we have a selectman who is performing well I'd like to have the option of keeping them.

Since: Apr 08

where I am

#16 Jul 4, 2008
Where did this debt originate? who made it?
cheshirepressure

Queensbury, NY

#17 Jul 4, 2008
The debt came form bad management and lack of accountability...no one asks the right questions, they go with the status quo...

As far as term limits and the lack of people to fill open positions...I feel as if some change occurs in a positive direction and there is accountability and sound decisions made it might entice others to become part of the solution and process and do away with the "old boy network."
Reality

Adams, MA

#18 Jul 6, 2008
The people that would be great for the town are not liked by the officals and there fore would not get hired.If you are not in office the previous year, the seniors will not put you in office. Anyone who has seen Mrs. Francesconi in action at a meeting already knows that the agenda was set before the meeting started.
Adams Citizen

Russell, MA

#19 Jul 6, 2008
Term limits for town boards wouldn't work. To the point already made, there isn't enough interest on the part of townspeople to run to replace those whose terms are up. Unfortunately, the best and brightest do not see local office as a potential positive experience. The complexities of running a community are far greater given varying and sometimes conflicting laws and statutes, and increasing hostile and demanding citizenry, increasing mandeated expenditures and shrinking revenues, etc. Most get into office to satisfy a hyper-inflated ego, pad a resume' or to satisfy an agenda. Very few these days actually get into politics to simply attempt to lead or strengthen a community. And if someone with talent and the means does step up, they usually run into very aggressive, morally and ethically challenged incumbants who stop at nothing to prevent participation and to save their positions. Personally, I've been in elected office, served on dozens of community action committees and did my best while I was there. Times and people have changed and not for the better. And yes, there are FAR too many back room meetings held that shouldn't be. I wouldn't touch local politics with a ten foot pole now and I know many people like me who feel the same way. That's sad. It's up to those who are currently in office to change that and if they refuse, the people need to step up and actually exercise their right to vote.
Just Looking Here

Jay, ME

#20 Jul 6, 2008
People nowadays have no cares about John Q. Public as they can do as they please because no one wants their offices anyway. No competition, then no cares. All the rest are left to complain but if no one steps up, they only have themselves to blame.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Stockbridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bernard A. Drew: Sensational crimes not new, ev... 5 hr cops are liars an... 2
News Valleyhead, a school for girls, closes (Mar '09) Jul 29 Rebeccaglen 253
News Police: Teacher bought alcohol n The ex-Lee edu... (Jun '10) Jul 14 Praxis33 156
Lenox Music Emporium (Oct '12) Jun '15 Musikologist 11
News Letter: ZBA won't be happy, but it can be fair Jun '15 Diane 3
News Fugitive held after pushing trooper, prompting ... Jun '15 cops are psychopa... 11
News Georgia fugitive captured in Pittsfield after f... Jun '15 Sandusky 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Stockbridge Mortgages