Workers at KB Toys deal with sudden loss

Workers at KB Toys deal with sudden loss

There are 97 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Dec 13, 2008, titled Workers at KB Toys deal with sudden loss. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Layoffs already are under way at KB Toys, just hours after the Pittsfield-based company announced it had filed for bankruptcy and would shutter its nationwide operation by February.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Pittsfield Resident

Glens Falls, NY

#1 Dec 13, 2008
I was also let go yesterday and it was very sad. It was told to us at the meeting Thursday morning that no severance pay would be issued.
Inside-Lookin-OU T

Northville, NY

#2 Dec 13, 2008
Andy Bailen should have left town years ago!!! Instead of steering the ship through troubled times he chose to make sure that all the people on the ship had signed in, and were accounted for!! His CEO qualifications are that of a Parking garage attendant. One can only hope that when he does finally leave town.(if he hasn't already)....he takes his lap-dog Gerry Murray with him!! I wouldn't let either one of these people even park my car,....let alone run a business. If your not sure who Gerry Murray is ,....he's the one with the cell phone Permanently attached to his ear, always ACTING the PART,...but never really sure of HIS ROLE!!! Sad sad man!!!
Sad Panda

Berne, NY

#3 Dec 13, 2008
Inside-Lookin-OUT wrote:
Andy Bailen should have left town years ago!!! Instead of steering the ship through troubled times he chose to make sure that all the people on the ship had signed in, and were accounted for!! His CEO qualifications are that of a Parking garage attendant. One can only hope that when he does finally leave town.(if he hasn't already)....he takes his lap-dog Gerry Murray with him!! I wouldn't let either one of these people even park my car,....let alone run a business. If your not sure who Gerry Murray is ,....he's the one with the cell phone Permanently attached to his ear, always ACTING the PART,...but never really sure of HIS ROLE!!! Sad sad man!!!
Hey Insidelookinout, why don't you copy paste this comment onto a few more KB toys boards? I so enjoy reading it over and over again. You can't REALLY be "inside" anyway or you'd know that Andy Bailen was only with KB for about 18 months, if he left "years ago" like you said he'd have never been there to start.
Inside-Lookin-OU T

Northville, NY

#4 Dec 13, 2008
Sad Panda wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Insidelookinout, why don't you copy paste this comment onto a few more KB toys boards? I so enjoy reading it over and over again. You can't REALLY be "inside" anyway or you'd know that Andy Bailen was only with KB for about 18 months, if he left "years ago" like you said he'd have never been there to start.
I truely Understand the name "SAD Panda"....however,....the day that SAL VASTA left was pretty much the day the downward spiral began. So you see SAD PANDA,...I am "INSIDE LOOKIN OUT" There is Life After KB,....ask around...
Sad Panda

Berne, NY

#5 Dec 13, 2008
Insidelookinout, sounds you are a former KB employee, which would more accurately make you Outside-looking-IN. One who left some time ago with a HUGE chip on their shoulder towards senior management and no real understanding of how the business was run.
I was let go yesterday with no severance pay and I am sad, but not bitter like you seem to be. Seriously dude, LET IT GO! There is life after KB.... ask around!
disgusted

Adams, MA

#6 Dec 13, 2008
Mayor James M. Ruberto again declined to comment on the closure of one of the longest-running business in Pittsfield. Next election we need to get rid of this creep and the clown council,as they are useless!!! O well let goto the movies.
Bob

Adams, MA

#7 Dec 13, 2008
KB is just one of the many retail stores expected to downsize or go out of business, by January; if you are to believe what is posted on Snopes.com website. I believe this will be just the tip of the iceberg, the way this economy is going.
Inside-Lookin-OU T

Northville, NY

#8 Dec 13, 2008
Sad Panda wrote:
Insidelookinout, sounds you are a former KB employee, which would more accurately make you Outside-looking-IN. One who left some time ago with a HUGE chip on their shoulder towards senior management and no real understanding of how the business was run.
I was let go yesterday with no severance pay and I am sad, but not bitter like you seem to be. Seriously dude, LET IT GO! There is life after KB.... ask around!
just A Few Corrections: No Chip on my shoulder towards anyone,...please believe me when I tell you.."I definelty Understand the way business is run",...not in the least bit BITTER,.....and please...DUDE...(well I guess that was a 50-50 chance)...but again...you got it wrong!!
You have every right to be SAD,....this effects more than just the laid-off people,...Thier children, spouses, thier mortgages, they current bills,...all these things are effected,....not to mention the trickle-down effect this will produce over the coming months! Keep your head-up,....when one door closes,.....another opens!!!
Good luck to ya!!
max

Bronx, NY

#10 Dec 13, 2008
so long suckers

Since: Jun 08

United States

#11 Dec 13, 2008
We are in a depression....This will be one of many store closings due to the ecomony..The Goverment's money is being used for bail outs due to greed at the big banks and greed at the stock markets ect..People are losing money in their retirement funds..We the people are in a big mess due to all this..Parts of Europe are suffering as well..I think it will get worse before we do see a change for the better..If and when the economy gets better KB and others can return to start all over again...Meanwhile all you layoff's have hope for is finding another job.
KB TOYS

Springfield, MA

#12 Dec 13, 2008
look is was in the 'know', it's bad leadership and old toys all the way. i remember a meeting this summer, we talked about the 30 new stores and the opening of video stores. all was fine or so we were told... why did they over extend-- to fill there pockets AGAIN ;at the cost of the company --
Happy Holidays Andy, you money grubbing "little" bitch
facts

Northville, NY

#13 Dec 13, 2008
Here are the facts:

1) All benefits cease immediately
2) There is no severance pay, FOR ANYONE (execs included)
3) This has more to do with GE Capital changing the terms on KB than it does on poor sales (and yes, they are very bad)
4) Employees are disappointed, but not bitter (for the most part)
5) Prentice forced the early terminations and insisted on no benefits or severance for any employees in an effort to maximize THEIR return on the GOB sales
6) we will all pull through this with the help and understanding of the community.
7) mean people suck
GMHeller

Syracuse, NY

#14 Dec 13, 2008
My best advice to KB employees is to keep busy. Find another job, volunteer, whatever. Do not join the rest of us on this mindless, senseless forum. It's like a black hole sucking positive energy and intellect from all who join. Trust me, I know.
PBC

Northville, NY

#15 Dec 13, 2008
GM Great comment!
For everyone who is slamming KB- thanks. As if this isn't hard enough for any of us. Now this? It's sad the business came to an end. Its sad that my friends and co-workers are leaving HO 100s at a time. We all have our opinions as to why this happened. The bottom line, it happened. Rather than slamming anyone, be considerate of your neighbor who has already or is about to lose their jobs. The entire country is in for some rough times. Maybe we should all reconsider our positions and really look at what we have, be thankful we have it, and think about lending a hand to someone who may be without.
SMP-Pittsfield

Northville, NY

#16 Dec 13, 2008
Over the years, I've been in and out of KB for various reasons (I'm an outside contractor). Made some lasting friendships, and have had the pleasure of dealing with some of this county's finest people. I truely hope that over the next coming months things pan-out for all of you's!! God Bless all, and hopefully you'll all have a Good Christmas!!!!!
viveuofnone

Glens Falls, NY

#17 Dec 13, 2008
SMP-Pittsfield wrote:
Over the years, I've been in and out of KB for various reasons (I'm an outside contractor). Made some lasting friendships, and have had the pleasure of dealing with some of this county's finest people. I truely hope that over the next coming months things pan-out for all of you's!! God Bless all, and hopefully you'll all have a Good Christmas!!!!!
I agree, and am totally disgusted with the tradtional BOOT' at the Christmas Holiday Season.
Former KB Patriot

Tucson, AZ

#18 Dec 13, 2008
What is most sad here is the ultimate demise of an age old brand. I myself gave this once great company 7 years in their better days in the 1980's. In seven years I grew professionally and personally. I am thankful for the experience and am beter for it!!
As to recent times, please allow me to clarify.....Andy signed (back) on in June of 2007. He did GREAT things for the company through the 1980's. Immediately his impact on the stores in his second tour of duty was positive. As months went by his leadership bettered ALL aspects of this once floundering organization.
Now to current time. October retail sales were nothing short of horrific for ALL retailers. That said, the loss in retail sales dollars that KB desperately needed was just too much to endure. Any KB manager will tell you that their YTD profile had been good up to that point. Unfortunately, with the incredible sales volume expectations on a traditional retailer taking place in the last 90 days, the gap left in October was just too much to endure.

So, the undeniable reality is that thousands more Americans are unemployed in one fell swoop. They will (and I wish them well) all land on their feet.
In the bigger picture, when will this US consumer begin to realize that the worlds largest retailer is indeed NOT good for America.
Been there Done That

Blackwood, NJ

#19 Dec 13, 2008
Been there done that says " The past is the past, update your resume, start networking, support each other, continue networking, there are people like myself who have been there and are always willing to help. Once you have been there and done that crap, you know the only way to cope is to stay positive, network, network,network. If you are good at what you do stay positive and you will find a better job than you had. File unemployment immediately, they will also offer medical coverage if you live in MA ( Great State Unemnployment benefits). Reach out to friends , stay positive, be thankful for your health and family. Do not drink or do drugs, it all works out if you believe in yourself and the lord!
Been there Done That

Blackwood, NJ

#20 Dec 13, 2008
Do not be bitter, harsh or mean, for if you believe in yourself and have been a good person the lord will lead you to green pastures. Yes it is sad and painful for all, but when one realizes what they have presently in life ( family, health, friends) and puts forth positive energy. Good things will happen. Follow the light for we all have a journey which is sometimes difficult and painful. Believe in yourself and fellow man, help each other and always return that phone call, for thou might never know when you might be the one calling. Bless you all and good luck.....
Been there Done That

Blackwood, NJ

#21 Dec 13, 2008
if you need more perspective on the plight of the unemployment picture, picture this, you are not in a VA hospital with both legs missing and an IV drip of Morphine to ease your pain. It can always be worse than you percieve, that is why everyone should be thankful for what they have today, for tomorrow might never come.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Stockbridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Valleyhead, a school for girls, closes (Mar '09) Jun 22 Valerie A Hotte R... 283
News Del Gallo running for Senate as a 'Sanders prog... May 31 John Harrison 4
News Challenge in Berkshire drunken driving case cou... May '16 Chris 12
News Four potential Berkshire County legislative can... Apr '16 cops are liars an... 8
Abram Antone aka Abraham Antoine (Nov '12) Mar '16 dclark 4
News 2016 Made in the Berkshires Festival Seeks Subm... Mar '16 one fish two fish 1
News Baker sees GE move, ties to Housatonic as 'sepa... Feb '16 DCF CPS DSS are ... 1

West Stockbridge Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Stockbridge Mortgages